IMDb > The Princess Bride (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Princess Bride

The Princess Bride More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 74: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A romantic movie that is good?!

Author: tankace from athens
10 May 2016

I do not like romantic movie for a start. I think them nothing more than a cash cow in order to attract stupid girls in order to live their unrealistic love fantasies and if they have a boyfriend to torture him in the process. But sometimes , one in a thousand I may say it comes a romantic flick that is a quality entertainment for everyone, EVERYONE. Princess Bride belongs in this category because it focuses more in the story ,making it fun, and to the characters in order for the romances to become more "realist", in which I mean to make sense the couple to want to be together and you to wanted that to.Also the sword fights are well choreographed and the one liners are clever,funny and take you off guard. To everyone guy, who have a girlfriend ,if you try to find a romantic movie that you can have fun alongside your romantic partner with out wanting to shoot yourself after words ,then this the flick for you ,have fun!

Don't Let the Title Fool You

Author: Mario Dati (TemplarWolf) from United States
6 May 2016

I put off seeing this movie simply because of the title. I figured that this was just another chick flick. It's not...

I have been told by many that I have to watch this film. I hear people throw out words like, "great", "classic", and "must see". Even my wife said to me, "You're a collector, and never seen the 'Princess Bride'?" So, I gave it a shot, and I loved it. I can't put my finger on the reason why though. I must say though, that there's something about this movie, it grows on you, and I do love it now. Let me tell you a bit about it:

Hard to talk about without giving away spoilers, so forgive me if there isn't much info here, but I hope this helps you. Let me start by saying that this is a great movie to watch whether you're alone, with your friends, or even with your girlfriend. There's action, though not intense like say, Bloodsport. There's A TON of comedy. There's a love story. A fantastic cast. Sword fights, monsters, poison, dungeons, castle sieges. What more could you ask for? Despite all of these things, this is not a very serious film. Which some people like. For me, it depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a serious medieval period piece like "Kingdom of Heaven", sometimes I'm in the mood for the opposite, like "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" I would say that, in terms of seriousness vs spoof, this film is sandwiched exactly between "Kingdom of Heaven" and "Men in Tights". Not too spoofy, but not one that stays with you and keeps you thinking all night either.

Inigo Montoya saves the day!

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
11 September 2015

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

I know, I picked the most quotable line of this epic fairy tale (sorry for being such a cliché), but it was honestly the scene I enjoyed the most in this movie. Rob Reiner's The Princess Bride is one of his most revered films and it has become a cult favorite over time. I didn't fall in love with it however, but I can understand the appeal this romantic fantasy has on so many people considering it has it all: a tale of true love, adventures involving pirates, sword-fights, fantasy creatures, and a princess who is forced to marry against her will. The premise is no different from that of your typical damsel in distress fairy tale, but the way the film seems to be mocking and honoring those familiar elements at the same time are what makes it stand out. It has a unique innocent quality to it while remaining funny, charming, and sweet. Perhaps I would've benefited from watching this at a younger age, but having waited so long to experience it for the first time was a bit of an underwhelming experience. I wasn't swept away by its magical and fantastic elements and the love story didn't stand out from other romantic tales. There are several fun scenes and unexpected character interactions, but during most of the film I felt a bit bored. The satire works in parts and so does the fantasy, but it just felt too familiar to win me over entirely.

The screenplay was adapted by William Goldman from his own novel of the same name. Although for this film he uses a grandfather (Peter Falk) to narrate the story as he is telling it to his sick grandson (Fred Savage). At first the grandson isn't too keen about having his grandpa read him a story, especially because it starts off with kissing, but once the adventure begins he's hooked. There are occasional interruptions that bring us back to the kid's room, but most of the film takes place in this fantasy land where we are introduced to a very beautiful woman named Buttercup (Robin Wright) who falls in love with her farm boy, Westley (Cary Elwes). The two have found true love, but having no money to marry he embarks on a trip and promises to return to her. Buttercup is shattered when she hears that Westley was killed by a fearful pirate named Roberts. With nothing more to look forward to, eventually she gets engaged with Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) of Florin who promises to turn her into a princess. On the eve of her wedding, Buttercup is kidnapped by a man named Vizzini (Wallace Shawn) and his two hired henchmen, Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin) a skilled swordsman who has promised to avenge his father's death, and the strong but gentle giant Fezzik (Andre the Giant) who really doesn't know no better. While holding Buttercup ransom and fleeing from the site, they discover that they are being followed by a mysterious man in a black mask. He catches up with them soon and the adventure begins as these men face off with one another and new revelations are made.

Allowing for the story to take place through this narrative style was one of the better decisions because it gave the film its unique dreamy style and it wasn't necessary to deliver realistic visuals. It was all part of the fantasy, although I would've preferred less interruptions, but I guess they had to give Fred Savage and Peter Falk some more lines. The relationship between Elwes and Wright was believable, but it didn't stand out because it was too familiar. However, they were both the perfect casting choice for these roles. It was Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya who stole the movie for me. I absolutely loved his character and the sword fighting scene was the highlight of the movie for me. It included a brilliant homage to Douglas Fairbanks (which I'm sure gave someone the idea that Elwes would be the perfect choice to spoof his Robin Hood character in a later movie). Montoya was probably the inspiration for Antonio Banderas as well when he was cast to play the Zorro. This character has become an icon and he was the saving grace of the film for me. The rest of the characters were OK, but he stood out. The exception and I think I'm in the minority here was Vizzini. I found Wallace Shawn's portrayal of him rather irritating and I couldn't stand him. There is also a hilarious scene with Billy Crystal playing a miracle doctor, who you'd only recognize due to his voice because he is heavily covered in make up to look like an old man. The Princess Bride had its strong moments, but somehow I never managed to fall in love with the fantasy and wouldn't consider it one of Reiner's best films. It does prove however what a versatile director he is because the film is very different from his other works. I'm still a bit shocked that the film is so widely loved, but I can't argue it isn't a good movie.

"You killed my father, prepare to die"

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
11 October 2014

I have just watched this movie again because I remember only watching bits and pieces of it a long time ago. I only remembered the part in which "The Man In Black" goes around besting the three guys to rescue the princess, basically everything until they exit The Fire Swamp. So I decided to watch it again but this time fresh in my mind and it actually isn't that bad.

When a common woman tells her (I really don't know if it's slave or something) named Wesley to do things he consistently says "As You Wish", really meaning to say "I love you". When she loves him back he decides to go out and make his fortune however he is said to be killed by a Pirate. Later an egotistical Prince (I'm not kidding, this guy almost has the ego of William Shatner) decides to marry Buttercup and she gets kidnapped by three bumbling people: a giant, a swordsman and the brains of the operation. They decide to help the 2 feuding countries start a war but they are followed by a man in black, presumably the same pirate that killed Wesley. Once he stops all three and reveals to the Princess that he is Wesley she feels she would rather marry him then the Prince. However he won't allow that and he then gets help from the swordsman and giant to stop the Prince because someone high up in the court murdered the swordsman's father.

Okay, This is a very well made movie but on some points I just feel as if I have to be the bad guy. The whole part of this being a storybook being read from grandfather to grandson I don't think contributes anything to the plot. I also need to say that the setting is off, I mean they make references to Earth locations when you have swamps that shoot fire, giant rodents, giants and a whole lot of other things that scream "Okay, this is not our world". I know, this movie is pretty much a fairy tale but it just feels wrong.

On the positive notes, the humour is a little funny if you like people saying things only to have you say "Wait, what?" at it. I think the weirdest is when Wesley and Buttercup (The Princess) are in the Fire Swamp and, it looks like Dagobah from Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back if it was back-lit a little more and he comments that it's not bad, then says the trees are "quite lovely", it's just so stupid and yet it does bring out a chuckle. I guess the other way to describe it is if you've seen anything by Joss Whedon, just think that except a little bit more out there.

I would also say the set design, the cinematography are a couple of things I liked as well. The sword fighting I think could have been shot a little better (Although I did like the one with Wesley and Indigo Montoya) but aside from that there is no complaint here. I also think the moments when it's intentionally corny do it really well.

So if you haven't seen it I say what to expect is pretty much a fairy tale. It's simple bare-bones motivations, true love will prevail and all that stuff. Although it is extremely self aware that what it's making is that and it does satirize the whole Disney thing beautifully. I'd personally say if you want to see it then just keep what I said in mind and if that's for you then, you'll like it okay. However if it's not your thing then steer clear.

A Classic Fairy Tale With A Lot of Heart, Warmth & Charm.

Author: CinemaClown
20 September 2014

A romance, a comedy, an adventure & a fantasy, The Princess Bride is an amalgamation of all of these and is a fairy tale that has been passed from fathers to sons for generations and here is presented in the form of a novel that is being read by a grandfather to his grandson, thus making sure that the book's narrative style & structure is kept entirely preserved.

The Princess Bride tells the story of Buttercup who falls in love with a farm guy but loses him and is at last engaged to the Prince of the region. One day, she is kidnapped & held against her will by three hired helpers; a Sicilian boss, a Spanish swordsman & a giant. But they soon find themselves being pursued by a mysterious masked man who's gaining on their trail.

Rob Reiner has directed some well-known classics (A Few Good Men, Stand by Me & When Harry Met Sally...) but most people are still not familiar with his name because unlike other filmmakers, he has no unique style of shooting a film or possesses a trademark. And this is another one of his films that's pretty different in style & approach when compared to his other works. And Reiner does a good job at it.

The screenplay is adapted from the book of the same name in a manner that preserves its narrative style, camera-work & editing nicely compliment each other, visuals effects never aims for a realistic portrayal of the world depicted in the story plus it benefits very much from its sweet, tender & pleasant performances from its cast, including Andre the Giant.

On an overall scale, there isn't much wrong with The Princess Bride & carries out most of its elements the way it's meant to be. More entertaining than what I was expecting from it, definitely showing a lot of heart, warmth & charm and yet it didn't click enough with me for I'm not really a fan of fairy tales. But for those who've read the book or heard the story or even many newcomers, this will be a delightful experience.

Fantastic Fairy Tale

Author: Emraan Noor Fahad
5 August 2014

This Is A Very Beautiful Film with many comedy & sense of humor.this is the best fairy tale movie there is which has

Action,adventure,comedy,romance. Absolute fun pack with everything one can ask..i think everyone will love it watching & they will enjoy their time every moment & tell you Not a boring moment in the movie...i like the style of the movie starts,Grandpa telling story to his sick little grandson.And doesn't have interest at first but love it through the story goes..I think we all does at a time. those characters in these movies are really cool & fits through.this is what makes a movie perfect..without those characters this movie couldn't be done fantastically.

9 out 0f Beautifully done 10 .. :) :)

So many genres in one epic film!

Author: Roy Pace
13 June 2014

***Spoiler Alert! Attention: Spoiler Alert!!***

Simply put this film is my favorite movie of all time! The best thing about this film is it combines all the wonderful types of film one can watch. One minute you are in an amazing action adventure, then the next a sweet romantic film and right in the middle of that is a funny line or joke that just makes one chuckle with glee.

It can very easily be called the most quotable film in recent memory. It contains the funniest series of fight scenes I have ever watched, including what in my opinion is the best sword fight in movie history.

It simply does not matter if you are 3 or 103 years old this movie will become a instant classic that will be watched over and over for many years!

Wonderful stuff

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
11 May 2014

In the course of a story which a grandfather is reading to his sick grandson, we see the adventures of farm boy Westley in pursuit of Princess Buttercup.

On one level, The Princess Bride plays absolutely fair with fairy story conventions - heroes are heroes, villains are villains, and weird in-between characters are weird in-between characters. The story plays out in a satisfactorily linear fashion, adhering to standard fantasy story tropes.

And then, on another level, The Princess Bride is a subversive deconstruction of the traditional stories it mimics. It is frequently very funny indeed, it boasts some wonderful performances (both Cary Elwes and Mandy Patinkin play their roles with a precise combination of straight face and tongue in cheek, and Wallace Shawn is simply hysterical), and it has the best sword fight for a long time. And it is endlessly quotable. Funny, exciting and charming, it is a film to treasure.

Fairy Tale Yarn

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
24 February 2014

"Stand By Me" director Rob Reiner helmed William Goldman's adaptation of his novel "The Princess Bride" with Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Robin Wright, and Peter Falk. This imaginative fairy tale about true love is often amusing. A girl falls in love with her servant, but he goes away and is reportedly abducted by pirates. The story is framed by another story about a grandfather who reads a story to his sick grandson (Fred Savage) about a king who wants to marry a girl so he can start a war. Meanwhile, a swordsman (Mandy Patinkin) has spent 20 years searching for the six-fingered gent who slew his father. Cary Elwes and Robin Wright at the star-crossed lovers, and Elwes bears a striking resemblance to Douglas Fairbanks when he dons an outfit in black with a mustache. Billy Crystal has a cameo as a miracle worker. Although it is ostensibly a fairy tale rated PG, "The Princess Bride" has some gruesome scenes, particularly when sadistic Christopher Guest tortures our hero. Worth watching.

Funny touching love story (not just the fairy tale)

Author: SnoopyStyle
26 December 2013

A boy (Fred Savage) is home sick, and to his dismay, his grandfather (Peter Falk) has come to read him a fairy tale. It's the story of the beautiful Buttercup (Robin Wright) who falls for farmboy "As you wish" Westley (Cary Elwes). He goes off to make his fortune, but after news of his death, Buttercup is being married off to Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon). Then the princess bride gets kidnapped by three rogues (Wallace Shawn, Mandy Patinkin, André the Giant).

This is possibly the best fairy tale reimagining ever. Peter Falk's feign indifference narration sets off the great adventure, and Fred Savage has just the best balance. Director Rob Reiner has put together all the fairy tale snippets and create something even better. The characters are memorable. And who could forget the fun that Wallace Shawn has choosing the poison drink. Mandy Patinkin is absolutely amazing as the swordsman seeking revenge from the six finger man. And there will never be another André the Giant.