IMDb > The Princess Bride (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Princess Bride

The Princess Bride More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 69: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

This movie is classic!

Author: mithrasana from Tennessee
8 June 2006

This is one of the best movies ever made! It has all the elements of a fairy tale and/or medieval epic, but it's made with tongue firmly planted in-cheek, so it's completely enjoyable for everyone. It's a favorite of several family members of all ages. You can find romance, fighting, chivalry, classic villains, classic heroes/heroines, sidekicks, and incredible characters and beasts. Not to mention the quotability factor. I can think of about ten lines off the top of my head that are instantly recognizable. I recommend it to everyone, no matter your age or taste in movies!

Westley, a poor farm boy, falls in love with beautiful Buttercup and sails off to seek his fortune in America. Upon word of Westley's death, Buttercup becomes engaged to Prince Humperdinck, the heir to the throne who cares mainly about his love of the hunt and fighting. When Buttercup is kidnapped by a trio of goons, Humperdinck tracks her, only to find her in the arms of the mysterious Dread Pirate Roberts. Buttercup returns with the Prince, but what will happen to the Dread Pirate Roberts? Will Buttercup ever find true love? Is the Prince really what he seems?

With great performances from the entire cast--Robin Wright Penn, Billy Crystal, Wallace Shawn, Mandy Patinkin, Andre the Giant (born for this role), Chris Sarandon, Christopher Guest--Cary Elwes still shines as the understated, but hilarious hero. You can watch this a million times and never get tired of it.

One of a few all-time wonderful movie themes -- I love it!

Author: Charlene Baltimore from United States
5 June 2006

There are few movies that I enjoy watching 'repeatively' -- but this is one that is - re-watchable. I just love the music and the simple plot -- true love prevails.

However, there is a small element that I think could have been left out. The actual killing of people is not something that needs to be watched as much as the rest does. I thought about editing these parts out, but that is complicated I am told. A slight edit would give this a perfect 10.

I cry happy tears every time I enjoy this movie, and just today I bought the DVD to replace the much worn VHS copy that has served well.

Of all movies in the last 20 years I vote this in the top 10, at least.

Enjoy it!

A worthwhile movie.

Author: ms_bunni from Canada
2 June 2006

One of the best movies I'v seen, definitely. It's also one of the rare ones that are all around perfect. Cary Elwes is beautiful, and fun, and great to watch. His attitude and the way he acted fitted his role so wonderful words can't describe. Romance was beautiful. Comedy parts were funny. Bad guys looked and sounded like bad guys. Some parts were a little bit scary when they needed to be. It was believable and witty. Most things and people looked real, and the things that didn't, you didn't mind, because it didn't ruin much of the effect of what the scene tried to convey. In the end, it was inspiring and fulfilling, where in the end, you felt closure and it finished off nicely. Excellent movie!

not you're average everyday run in the mill ho hum fairytale

Author: VoyagerSamfan87 from United States
28 April 2006

The Princess Bride to this day has remained a family classic. One where I watched time and time again with my father and sister. A family that you can rent at the video store if you want to have a family movie night. A perfect movie for both grownups and children. The Princess Bride is similar to Pirates of the Carrabean for the fact that both movies you can watch over and over again and never get tired of and both always puts you in a good mood-but that of course is where the similarities ends.

The Princess bride starts off the the Grandfather visiting his Grandson when the kid is sick. At first disgusted with the fact that he got a book for a present instead of something like a baseball he then humors the grandfather by allowing him to read the book. In the beginning the kid is skeptical of the story "this isn't a kissing book is it?" but then slowly gets into the story and is mesmerized by the tale interupting the Grandfather and parts he doesn't like saying "Im telling you your messing up the story!" and truly becoming involved in the book. Just like the Neverending Story it is told by a narrater- Peter Falk aka the Grandfather-but that still doesn't take away the magic of the film.

There are so many terrific characters.

Vizzini-the Sicilian who's the brain of the trio criminals Inigo Mantoya- the Spaniard who has been studying fencing in order to avenge his fathers death and works for Vizzini because "theres not a lot of money in the revenge business" and has become infamously known for his line "Hello my name is Inigo Mantoya, you killed my father prepare to die." Fezzik: the Warm hearted giant who doesn't like violence. "Its not my fault I'm the biggest and the strongest, I don't even exercise." and has a knack for rhyme. "Fezzik are there rocks ahead?" "If we are we all be dead!" "No more rhymes now I mean it!" "Anybody want a peanut?" The Man in Black- who wears a mask because "they're terribly comfortable. I believe everyone well be wearing them in the future. A hilarious and brilliantly written duel scene between him and Inigo Then the two lovers Buttercup-who gets captured by the trio criminals because she is the princes fiancé and Westleys-famous words As You wish "Which really means I love" who was supposedly killed by pirates "Killed by pirates is good!"-so says the kid. But was he? Then lets us not forgot Mirical Max played by the fantastic Billy Crystal and his wife. "Oh true love is the greatest thing in the world, except for MLT. Mutton, Lettuce, Tomato, when the Mutton is so ripe and juice I love it...." "Don't rush me sonny, you rush you get rotten miracles." and of course his wife. "Bye bye boys have fun storming the castle." "You think it will work?"-his wife "It will take a miracle. bye bye!" And let us not forget Prince Humperdink "Teron You know how I love to watch your work but I have my wedding to plan, my wife to murder and Gilder to frame for it, I'm swamped." As well as the six fingered man, the Honorable Clergyman as well as theAlbino and the watchman. All play fantastic and memorable roles.

And the plot is wonderful. Buttercups capture, storming the castle and avenging a fathers death, and of course true love. Truly this is a film to see and if you haven't yet you are missing out on an incredible journey and adventure of "fencing, torture, revenge, giants true love, miracles....s"

Absolute Perfection

Author: Incalculacable (vintagous@hotmail.com) from Perth, WA
18 April 2006

The Princess Bride, starring Robin Wright Penn, Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Christopher Guest is the perfect combination of satire, adventure, fantasy, romance, drama, mystery, action, comedy, 'kisses' and physical comedy. Truly one of the best loved movies of all time, The Princess Bride lives up to its reputation, perhaps exceeds it.

The Princess Bride is a story about Buttercup, who calls in love with a Farmboy named Westley. Unfortunately, he had no money for marriage and set off to seek his fortune. On his way, he was reportedly murdered by the Dread Pirate Roberts. Buttercup is devastated and never forgets her lost love. Meanwhile, the evil Prince Humperdinck selects poor Buttercup as his new bride. Buttercup does not love him, but Humperdinck assures her that their love will grow. Will she ever find happiness? Will she ever see Westley again? Combining dead-on perfect casting, superb direction, an impeccable comedic script and sumptuous visuals, The Princess Bride is a marvelous piece of cinematic storytelling that, thanks to its brilliant combination of childlike wonder and adult sarcasm (that in itself being a great feat), is accessible to viewers of all ages, and something you can watch over and over again.

True love isn't a snap, but it's worth it.

Author: walkwithcrowds from United Kingdom
8 April 2006

What can I say that hasn't already been said before? This film has it all. Swordfights, giants, torture, daring rescues, True Love (note the capitals) and even some kissing (at the end).

This is one of the best family films there is...this is one of the best films there is.

Robin Wright is beautiful, Cary Elwes is a cross between Cary Grant (Charming) and Burt Lancaster (a swashbuckling hero) Chris Saradon is slimy, Billy Crystal is almost unrecognisable and Andre The Giant is...well...a giant.

It's a pantomime (in a good way), a romance, an adventure and a comedy all in one.

Once you see this film you'll recommend it to everyone you know. If you've already seen this film, then go out and recommend it to everyone you know.

Let's all say it together: "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya; you killed my father; prepare to die".

The Best Movie Ever Made

Author: bill-1439 from Seattle, Washington, USA
24 March 2006

Bar none, the best movie of any genre I've ever seen. Indeed, this movie has no "genre" per se. Elements of romance, adventure, action and comedy are seamlessly woven together to create this masterpiece. Mandy Patinkin and Billy Crystal give the performances of their careers. The rest of the ensemble cast turn in great performances as well.

This movie is considered to be the "Wizard of Oz" of my generation, in that it was not received well when it first opened. I attribute this in part to the lack of a distinct genre category (which in this case is a *strength* of the movie) and in part to the title, which is an unfortunate side-effect of writer William Goldman's initial inspiration on the project. If you are put off by the title, get over it. You will love this movie, and like the rest of us you'll find yourself quoting it frequently in conversation.

perfection

Author: lazur-2 from United States
5 March 2006

Every word in this movie is the right word. Not a single character is made to be stupid for the sake of being easily dealt with; even the most incidental villain is clever, requiring the heroes to be more clever. Casting is inspired, with Robin Wright Penn as princess-ly as any woman has ever been, ( I wouldn't be surprised if Sean Penn fell in love immediately watching her entrance in the film), Andre the Giant getting my award for best performance ever by a professional wrestler, and Mandy Patinkin so perfect in action, look and word that I eternally forgive him for being such a arrogant jerk on talk shows. MORE IMPORTANTLY: This film has strong life lessons seamlessly built in: Grace under pressure, honor in all dealings, skepticism without cynicism, and the real power of faith and love are among the many plot underpinnings making "Princess Bride" perhaps the best movie ever for the whole family to watch together,(aside from perhaps keeping the baby's eyes shut when the big rats are on screen).

My favorite all-time movie

Author: marra_p from United States
5 March 2006

I have seen this movie literally about 500 times. I've loved this movie since I was 6 yrs old, and 19 Years later, I still love it as much as I did then. This is my all time favorite movie. It combines everything and every emotion possible. This movie captures the true essence of entertainment. A sign of a good movie is one that riles all emotions and this one does just that. It has intelligent humor which I love. Unlike the moronic comedies of today, it shows that you don't have to be an idiot or make characters have a below par intelligent to be funny. Cary Elwes and Mandy Patinkin is a great combination. Although Billy Crystal is only in the movie momentarily, he is still hilarious. The fencing scene is definitely the epitome of choreography. THis movie proves that you don't need gore in order to make it interesting. Because of this movie I'm a devout fan of the actors. This movie is a Classic, and has definitely stood the test of time.

Some of the trees are really quite lovely

Author: murraybuesst from United Kingdom
27 January 2006

You haven't seen The Princess Bride? Incontheiveable! Clearly you've fallen for one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia ...

I first saw this as a student on the eve of my finals, and it was the perfect antidote to pre-exam nerves. Since then I must have watched it ... oh, I dunno, maybe 30 times. Which sounds terribly sad, I know, but I just feel the need to get other people to watch it, and - well - I end up watching it too.

Basically, it's just terribly funny, but also - and here's the thing - it works as a fairy tale too. Admittedly, it would be perfectly nauseating without the subversive wit and huge silliness, but when combined the result is irresistible.

A word of warning to the uninitiated - give it 20 minutes to get into the swing of it. It can take that long to realize that this film has its tongue firmly in its cheek.

My favourite lines? So hard to choose. Q: 'You don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?' A: 'Do you always begin conversations this way?' Or how about: 'You mean you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll kill each other like civilized people.' But I think the honours have to go to 'I'm not saying I'd like to build a holiday home here, but some of the trees are really quite lovely'.

Oddly enough, I'm not left-handed either.

Spread the word.