IMDb > Predator (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Predator

Predator More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 60: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

"I ain't got time to bleed" :D

Author: gigan-92 from United States
22 November 2010

The original Predator film is a film that I hold close to my heart. It succeeds on many levels where many similar to it have failed, like it's disappointing sequel. I'd say to begin with it had a more than decent cast to play the roles. The story has them deliver catchy one-liners throughout, but you will thoroughly enjoy it. My favorite, "I ain't got time to bleed", great stuff. But on a serious note, the story actually builds up the characters to an extent that we will actually care when they are brutally slain one-by-one. That is the single greatest failure of hundreds of films like this (like its sequel). There is a terrifying silent tension as well that adds to the atmosphere of it all.

The music is pretty bad-ass, and I enjoyed it. The SX were also top notch and the predator was actually scary when I first saw it as scared sh*tless ten year old. I've seen the film hundreds if not thousands of times since, but it never gets old to me. By far my favorite scene had to be the chilling climax as the Predator prepared to kill himself and yet began to laugh quite like a human being. Downright awesome. This is a classic not to be disregarded.

Science Fiction Perfection

Author: samuel-84 from South Africa
20 July 2010

I was 12 when I first saw Predator and it has been a firm sci-fi favorite ingrained in my psyche ever since. Predator, now 23 years old, hasn't aged and still feels current - if you can excuse the 80's testosterone. It just goes to show that expensive CGI is no match for a good story with a colourful and competent cast.

The story follows Dutch (Schwarzenegger) the leader of a specialized group of bad-ass soldiers who run rescue missions in areas Chuck Norris would be scared to go. He is duped into a supposed rescue mission in South America by an old college, Dillon (Carl Weathers) who now works for the CIA.

Once in the Jungle, Dillon's true reason for using Dutch becomes apparent when the team comes across the mutilated remains of a previous special ops team sent in by Dillon. The team is not there to rescue anyone, but stop an arms deal. Someone begins picking off the team one by one and and to quote Billy (Sonny Landham) who provides the spiritual insight "There is something out there, and it ain't no man". The action begins...

Alien hunters on safari, CIA operatives, professional black ops soldiers, South American rebels and a whole lot of hot steamy jungle in the mix and you have one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made.

The 80's style testosterone fueled acting gives great insight into the period and muscle-bound cast perform well and this must be Arnie's finest performance. Thankfully there isn't much of the of cheesy 80's dialog, like that painfully delivered by Bill Paxton in Aliens and Predator 2.

Like Ridley Scott's Alien, the franchise has only gone downhill since and fans have eagerly been waiting for Robert Rodriguez and Nimród Antal to restore the franchise to it's former glory with the release of Predators.

A timeless classic and sci-fi masterpiece. 10/10

Back to the basics

Author: dede dada (thimythimy@hotmail.com) from France
15 December 2009

Being fully dependent to technology is a weakness. That's what Dutch and the predator learned. At the beginning, the human team made mistakes that cost many lives. Leaving all the human-made weapons and becoming one with the Nature wasn't a choice, it was an evidence.It was a better idea to focus on efficient use of raw materials than wasting time with predictable guns. Once Dutch understood the trick, the predator began to reproduce these mistakes. Dutch became invisible and the predator tried to blast everywhere as if he was blind by his confidence on his technology. To sum up my ideas : Nature vs Technology, Unconsciousness vs Rationality, Confidence vs Fear. To conclude, i would say that Dutch finally reached his distant ancestors' primal instincts for hunting and survival that made the human race competitive on the natural selection. As my title said, Dutch has gone back to the basics.

One of the best Arnold Schwarzenegger's films

Author: kurciasbezdalas from Lithuania
23 November 2008

This one of those good old Arnold Schwarzenegger's action movies. If you haven't seen it yet, you definitely got to do it. The action was pretty good for that time's action movie. The plot is pretty simple, but what's original about this film is Predator - probably one of the most unique fictional creatures. It looked like a very dangerous creature and there was some heart-stopping moments when it was attacking US soldiers and it looked like that they are totally helpless in those situations. There also was some original deaths, lots of blood and explosions. It's a very original action/Sci-Fi film and it's a must see for everyone.

They just don't make them like this anymore

Author: mjscarface from United Kingdom
20 April 2007

Predator is my favourite film, next to Rocky, and has always had a special place in my heart. Scaring me to death as a youngster, the film succeeds completely in merging different genres together. For the first part, a gung-ho action flick - for the second part, a nerve-jangling horror that develops into a tremendous adventure film.

The film feels like a real team effort, much like the heroes of the film itself. Everyone involved in the production has brought something creative, unique or memorable to the table and has made Predator become a hugely popular film and franchise.

Firstly, the scipt is chock-full of classic dialogue, making this one of the most quoted films in history, with so many cheesy one-liners that you've be forgiven for thinking the characters were being hunted by a hungry mouse. However, the script and the premise is genius - by simply pitting an alien hunter against Earth's finest prey, humans (commandos even), the situations write themselves; boy-scout traps, mud-camouflaged Arnie and the villain which imitates and toys with its prey. The sequel, which is OK but not a classic, managed to develop this idea even further with a wider arsenal and deeper understanding of the alien race, which gives this film a little something to separate it from other standard Alien-ripoffs.

Secondly, director John McTiernan keeps the film zooming along at a sensible pace. When there's any danger of actual character development, we move straight on to the next scene and dispense with said character lol. There's a tremendous atmosphere as the commandos enter the jungle - it's like another world and straight away the audience is thrown out of its seat with a shocking discovery up in the trees. In fact, the massive outbursts of violence in Predator are still very savage today and despite more violence now getting through censors, we don't get to see anything quite so shocking as skinned corpses and spinal cords being ripped out! Eventually, the tension is cranked up to breaking point as it's left to Arnie to "stick around" and avenge his team, Tarzan-style.

Next, the visual effects people should be congratulated. From amazing pyrotechnics to the legendary heat vision and camouflage which is part of Predator's unique quality. Even today, the image of a blurry silhouette running through the jungle gives me the shivers and when the final battle kicks in, sparks truly fly. The cameo-effect is one of the best special effects i've ever seen and feels like the discovery of bullet time or something just as classic.

Thank the lord for Stan Winston, who practically saved the film by ditching the original dopey design of the Predator and coming up with the masked humanoid with some nice dreadlocks. Most people prefer Giger's Alien design over this, but I always prefer the Predator, largely thanks to Kevin Peter Hall's performance. Instead of a guy in a suit, which Alien eventually seemed like at the end, we get a nasty looking alien under a mask. Never do we think that it's just a bloke under there. The Predator swings from to tree to tree like a monkey and bounds great distances like Frankenstein's monster on steroids. Instead of a clumsy, fake alien, we get something that really does act and look intelligent enough to hunt a team of crack commandos. The appearance itself is truly memorable and it's debatable whether the Pred looks cooler with or without his metal mask.

As I said before, it's a real ensemble effort and even the actors bring something to the film that stands out. We don't need character development for this type of film, we just need something that makes each guy different so that we know who's getting wasted - a problem which many monster flicks mess up by throwing in a bunch of blands. Here, every character is radically different; Dutch, the sensible team-leader (although Arnie doesn't exactly need to be distinguished), Dillon who has shades of Apollo Creed in trying to keep his cool and save face, Mac who starts off quite laid back and eventually goes mad, Blain who utters the best one-liners and carries a bleeding mini gun around(!), Billy the tracker who is just out-there and knows something's wrong from the off, Poncho who speaks Spanish and wields a grenade launcher and Hawkins who reads comics, works the radio and tells dirty jokes.

Finally, the score needs mentioning as this is one of the most atmospheric soundtracks ever and adds to the films pounding tension. As soon as we enter the jungle, the music spells doom for all with subtle tones that soon explode to life. Considering how much hiking through jungle there is (and yeah, the locations people should be noted as well because this is some truly bad-ass bush), it's surprising we don't feel it because the whole time Alan Silvestri keeps us entertained with the film's classic theme tune.

Spawning a decent sequel and countless other media, it goes to show the power of Predator. It all started here, when it was just considered an alien-ripoff but has since shrugged off those roots and claimed it's own slice of history. Everyone involved in the film has contributed something - it's as though their careers have all peaked at the same time and met up on this film. The result is just quality; remarkable, memorable and exhilarating.

My overall feel for the movie, Predator

Author: guy1-4 from Chesterfield, England
16 July 2006

Hi Guys,

I'll start by saying there is some legendary comments by everyone on the other threads. Great stuff! I am a huge fan of the film & have been looking for a site dedicated to the film. There doesn't seem to be one.I have seen the commandofan.com one. It's good. Anyway just wanted to say I was 15 when Predator first came out & I didn't go the cinema to see it, think was 15/16 when it came out on video. Loved it & sh*t myself. Like most teenagers I loved action films, but even then felt much of the stuff hitting the big screen was kind of crap. This film stood apart & has stood the test of time. I have probably watched it 20-30 times over the years & still love it.The atmosphere created, the music, the brilliance of the predator (still unbeaten for me) to the acting. I know it was cheesy at times & sometimes plain funny, but it worked. All the other comments about the great one liners & scary moments have been fantastic by others so I won't touch on them . My favourite characters are Dutch (Arnie), Mac (Bill Duke) & Billy (Sonny Landham). I felt all the characters played their roles perfectly & ran their course apart from Billy. I felt he was killed too easily. Maybe that was intentional to scare us more. I dunno I loved Billy. (not like that!) Incidentally his website is okay. sonnylandham.com It's worth visiting it just for one thing. Make sure your speakers are turned on quite loud when you visit. I will agree the really scary thing is being watched though & being deep in that south American rainforest is enough in itself, seeing your mates being picked off & being relentlessly chased. I might have to watch it again soon. Would love to hear others views on a few things they could have added, or other routes the script could have took for certain characters. Although don't get me wrong I love this movie the way it is & is right up there. Why did they even attempt a follow up. Hated the Alien v Predator. Watched 40 mins. Same as Highlander. Great, great film. Second film, trash. Anyway good luck chaps.

what's the secret?

Author: ruisilva-1 from Portugal
4 May 2006

what's so good about this film (if you consider it's style became formulaic in recent years), is that it tries not to be intriguing. I believe that it was Brian Aldiss that once said of science fiction: "the trick is not to explain everything". it sure works here for this film! if you think about it, even the simple title "predator", doesn't give away much. If you have never seen this film or talked to anybody that has about it (if you lived in a cave, perhaps) the title would trow you off. Predator... what kind of predator? Who, or what is the predator? the humans, to begin with (the commando team), but soon after the ultimate killing machine steps in.

The story doesn't wallow pointlessly into the origins of the creature. It, quite unapologetically, shows that it came from outer space, and that should be enough. The premise is simple: "it came to earth, it's different from us and it feels no remorse", got it? No pseudo-philosophies on "are we alone in the universe" or "it came in peace" or some crap like that. It delivers the story of the hunter being hunted. Period.

As for character development, it goes without saying that it's remarkably sparse but effective; it gives some insight into their experiences, but in a bonding kind of way, without referring to "combat trauma", "shell shock" or other problems posed incessantly by other films. It's enough to be believable, like in "Alien". You can tell who's best bud's with each other. It's not a soap opera, it's just an action film! The acting is well all around, considering that this is not a very dramatically demanding story for anybody (and the fact that neither are particularly gifted actors). The script is precise, it doesn't force the cast to act stupid, or insults the intelligence of the audience; another reason why it works! It never tries to explain much, it sure leaves open questions at the end, but you don't get that feeling of a plot hole in the story.

The visuals are stunning. The art direction turns the jungle into an enemy on its own accord, shooting at highly tilted angles to give you a sense of isolation, of how small you are, of something lurking in the trees, that you are being watched. While this is only suggested in the first half of the film, it becomes clear that it is really the case in the second part.

The story is simple and convincing. The plot actually gives you a reason for the commandos to be there, it's not a typical "they went into the jungle after some Axe murderer to get chopped to bits" kind of thing. We are led to believe that it's a rescue mission and get that feeling of betrayal when we find out the real purpose.

The creature is amazing; applause to Stan Winston and also James Cameron (he suggested the fangs "thingy"). An alien that doesn't just seem to be fetched out of the star trek reject bin. Doesn't look like a human in a Halloween costume at all. Like the creature from Alien, this is totally refreshing and original. Plus, it carries the most spectacular apparatus of killing contraptions ever devised on film. It seem like a daemon, at times, because it's in in for the kill. But that just goes to show what happens when you are not at the top of the food chain.

John Mctiernan delivered an absolute gem with this one. The pacing is superb, the photography (by Donald McAlpine)is brilliant; he turns the somewhat dull green environment of the jungle into a character of its own. The editing is master full, taking you where the story wants to, driving you into a crescendo of fear (that part when Carl Weathers bites the big one come to mind!).

Definitely "Ah-nuld's" best!

Epic motion picture. A must see for all!!!

Author: Philipp Muzychenko from Pullman, WA
18 August 2013

Predator knocks it out of the park! Even though it might appear dated at first glance, do not be fooled. This movie is a timeless classic, and is a must see for anyone who has even a remote interest in action, sci-fi, horror or adventure genres, or just loves epically awesome movies! A group of U.S. commandos is sent on a covert rescue operation, deep into the jungles of Latin America. On their way back from the mission, the members of the squad start getting killed off, one-by-one. They realize that something in the jungle is hunting them.

Predator is as great as it is straightforward. The story, acting and special effects are not elaborate, but are all exceptional on their own and work extremely well together. Yes, I said acting in Predator is exceptional. It's not going to win any Oscars, but the collaboration of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Carl Weathers, along with a group of fine supporting cast members are perfect for the kind of movie that Predator is. Thus, I deem it exceptional. Same goes for character development, which effortlessly makes you feel like you've known these men for years.

This movie is violent at times but it is not sadistic in nature, which is the route so many of the current action, sci-fi and horror films have chosen to take. A character's life comes to a swift, glorious and warrior-like end rather than a slow, miserable and painful finale.

The Predator takes pleasure and pride in the challenge of the kill, rather than the torment of the prey. I believe this to be an important distinction that needs to be made. It shows that the Predator has a lot more in common with his prey than one would think. After all, humans have been hunting for sport for centuries. The Predator also takes his victim's skulls as trophies. The need to collect trophies of personal conquests is not unlike the behavior of many human hunters.

The score in this movie is brilliant and well timed. It achieves the desired effect of heightening the tension and suspense of the film. The atmosphere created by the music is both worrisome and exciting.

This movie is great because, among other aspects, it deals with the human nature. We witness a band of hard men, who pride themselves on their toughness and fearlessness, succumb to doubt and fear. To their credit, even when the commandos are facing certain doom and are clearly worried, they never panic, and fight and die with honor.

The dialog is short and to the point. There are some pretty funny catch-phrases as well. This movie avoids the uncomfortable, corny state that some sci-fi, action and horror movies find themselves in, when trying to be too funny or too serious.

Predator is a bastion of epic glory, a must for anyone, regardless of your creed, age or political affiliations.

One Of The Greatest Action Movies Of All Time And An Excellent,Unforgettable Classic. Arnold Schwarzenegger And John McTierman At Their Best

Author: jcbutthead86 from United States
19 March 2013

Predator is one of the greatest Action movies ever made that mixes Action,Sci-Fi,Adventure and Horror and is not only one of my favorite Action movies,but one of my favorite movies period. Filled with brilliant,non-stop Action,great direction and amazing special effects Predator is an excellent and unforgettable Action classic and is Arnold Schwarzenegger and John McTierman at their best.

Set in Central America,Predator tells the story about a group of commandos who have been sent on a rescue mission. While they complete their mission the group discover that they are being hunted by a lethal alien. Now Dutch(Arnold Schwarzenegger)and his squad have to figure out how to stop this alien and stay alive.

What if the character Rambo faced off against the Alien in the Alien franchise? You get Predator,an intense,Action packed film that is one of the greatest Action films of all time and an unforgettable classic that never slows down and is a movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. One of the things that I love about Predator is the way that it's set-up in the first 40 minutes. During the early part of the film we assume as the viewer that this is going to be just another Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle,but the film cleverly turns you on it's head when the alien attacks and kills and you know that this is not going to be your regular Schwarzenegger film,but a tale of survival and staying alive. The concept of Predator is original and brilliant because the alien is looking for big game hunting and skinning humans and wanting trophies the same way humans do when humans are hunting animals and in this film the concept of hunting is turned on it's head. The use of the Central American jungle is great and adds to the films dread and dark atmosphere because when the characters are in the jungle you'll feel like it goes on forever and that there is no way out and it's the end for the characters. You feel that none of the characters are safe. The hot temperature and sweating adds to the film as well because it's very realistic and you will feel like you're in a hot oven or heater and want to get out and scream at the top of your lungs. And speaking of the characters,despite their strong arms and toughness they a little depth and you feel for the characters and the plight that they go through whether it's dealing with the heat,the Predator,getting out of the jungle or trying to stay alive. The Action in the film is excellent because it builds up thanks to the suspense of most of the scenes and the tension element involved and when the film's tension stops the Action explodes like a bomb and the Action comes fast like a quick punch in the face and you never know what hit you. It's some of the best Action scenes in the 80s and of all-time. The Predator Alien is one of the greatest creatures in the history of cinema and I think one of reasons he's a great Alien and creature is because he's not like other Alien creatures. The Predator isn't trying to take over the world or possess a human body,he's just a hunter and a dangerous killer looking for trophies to take back to his planet. The Predator stalks his prey with smarts and a great use of his weapons. What's also great about the Predator in this film is that we don't see much until the very end which is a smart thing because it adds to the mystery of The Predator and I think makes the Predator more frightening. The Predator is such an amazing creature and when you first see him you will never forget him. The final 30 minutes of this film is a powerful and truly flawless execution of Action and white hot Suspense and is so intense that you will probably want to watch it again because the ending is very exciting and explosive. It is a truly amazing,thrilling and brilliant conclusion to this amazing movie one of the many reasons Predator is a classic.

The whole cast does great jobs in their roles. Arnold Schwarzenegger is excellent as Dutch,with Schwarzenegger bringing depth and charisma to the role. Carl Weathers is wonderful as Dillon,Dutch's friend and army buddy. Elpidia Carrillo does a great job as Anna,a girl that's captured by the commandos then helps them out. Bill Duke is menacing and intense as Mac. Jesse Ventura gives a fun and entertaining performance as Blain,the tobacco eating,big armed soldier. Sonny Landham gives a great,intense performance as Billy,a man of few words. Richard Graves is wonderful as Poncho. Shane Black does a good job as Hawkins,a guy who tells a good dirty joke. R.G. Armstrong gives a fine performance as General Phillips. The late great Kevin Peter Hall is brilliant as The Predator,using excellent body language and movements with his eyes and head. His performances in Predator 1 and 2 will live on forever. R.I.P Kevin Peter Hall.

The direction by John McTierman is brilliant,with McTierman constantly moving the camera and using great angles,giving the film a excellent energy and fast pace. McTierman also does an amazing with the Action scenes and does with great intensity. Great job,McTierman.

The score by Alan Silvestri is masterful,intense,dark and suspenseful and definitely adds to the greatness of the film. A great score. There's also a great use of the classic Long Tall Sally by Little Richard.

The special make-up effects with The Predator creature by the late great effects artist Stan Winston is amazing and iconic and right next to the Terminator films this is his best work. R.I.P Stan Winston.

In final word,if you love Action films,Sci-Fi films or Schwarzenegger films,I highly suggest you see Predator,a landmark Action classic that you can watch again and again. Highly Recommended. 10/10.

One of the best films of our time

Author: digitald-4 from Mexico
31 October 2012

I watched this movie when it came out. It held me in suspense then and it still does now (i just watched it again) - hence this review. An excellent outstanding movie.. that sneaks up on you. Outstanding cinematography, continuity. This movie succeeds despite lackluster acting. This movie is a strange event film-wise.. the movie itself supersedes the actors! Now that is rare. And here is another rarity this movie keeps getting better as I watch it over the years. When you keep going back to a movie every now and then as the years traipse by, that in itself says something. So yeah.. definitely a teetering 10 but a 10 nonetheless. I have to concede that as I learn more about the Vietnam war (a.k.a. the Vietnam/china/Russia war) u.s. lrss and sog recon units - adds a unique dimension to this movie. This movie shares the company of 'apocalypse now' and 'platoon'. I hope somebody, someday tops this movie.