IMDb > Predator (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Predator

Predator More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 59: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

* * * OUT OF FIVE

Author: bronsonskull72 from United States
9 July 2003

Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as a Dutch the leader of a commando unit who must take on a sneaky kill crazy creature who skins his prey and uses their skulls as trophies in this bloody yet well made monster movie which starts of slow but becomes so engrossing and suspenseful you feel drained near the end. Good special effects and a sense of style add to the fun factor.

Predator: A work of art & Pure Action!

Author: latsblaster from Örebro, Sweden
21 June 2003

This is a movie with atmosphere & spirit! 'Predator' is a modern classic and it might be one the best action-movies ever. Seldom you have the possibility to experience such well done atmosphere, filled with suspense. 'Predator' is rough, ruthless and brutal. Kevin Peter Hall steals the show as a dangerous and powerful menace. The special effects are also well made. The most powerful scene in 'Predator' is when Bill Duke together with the rest of the group stands in the forest shooting wildly all around the trees without knowing what they really are doing there!

'Predator' is similar to 'Hell in the Pacific' in it's motives with the same claustrophobia, and it has a discussion about the macho-ideal, which few seems to notice.

Rating: 10 of 10.

Ultimate Entertainer!

Author: BinaryZero from Toronto/Canada
15 December 2002

A simple movie but executed with style and a flair of direction has exalted this to a cult status along with the Alien. Predator is infused with elements of sci-fi, horror, and action adventure and primarily is the sole reason why it is still a beloved among hard-core action fans. The inclusion of mega star Arnold Schwarzenegger and vivid supporting casts definitely adds to that.

The best thing about this film is that there is hardly a single dead moment in it. Every scene builds on the previous one and raises the stakes; keeping the pace of the film on its momentum. The tension is initiated there among the characters once they discover the wreckage of the crash and the gruesome sight of the dead body in the tree. The fear of the unknown has begun and sustains throughout their hunt.

Not many films can capture such a rich tapestry of action, suspense, comedy and just plain old popcorn fun in one film. The special effects at that time were top notch and well deserved of the Oscar nomination and even today it still has the contemporary look and feel. The atmosphere of the film sets it apart from the other action oriented by being unpretentious and accepting at face value that this is purely action driven.

The ultimate display of creativeness of vivid imagination from the effects crew is the Predator when revealed in full glory. A sight to behold! The imagery has now become an instant classic in similar veins that did for the Alien creature.

Downright, the Predator is a thriller that entertains while being slick and fun with rousing tension.

My favorite Arnie movie of all time!!!

Author: Ggould1975
19 November 2002

This is a great movie....the movie keeps you on yur feet the whole way!

It's about Arnie and his troops....heading into the jungle to rescue some hostages....well turns out they have something that is hunting them...a alien that likes to hunt and collect skulls as trophies. Great cast...Arnie, Carl Weathers, Bill Duke, Jesse Ventura, Sonny Landham, Richard Chaves. The special effects in this film as awesome and the Predator played by Kevin Peter Hall....he was pretty darn scary looking....Great action, great cast, awesome movie!!! I give this movie 4 stars ****!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely one of the best sci-fi/thriller/action/horror of all times

Author: guidomaschio from Milan, Italy
31 August 2002

I saw this movie three or four times and I found it really really good.

To me this is far superior to "Alien 2", although vaguely similar in the story.

If you like sci-fi watch it. If you like action movies watch it. If you like thriller movies watch it. If you like horror movies watch it.

Vote 7/10

One of Schwarzenegger's best!!!

Author: LebowskiT1000 from Escondido, California, USA
7 June 2002

I can honestly say that the idea behind "Predator" is one of the coolest Sci-Fi stories I've ever heard/seen. I absolutely love the idea of an alien being coming to earth, not to meet new life-forms, but to find a good hunt! Brilliant!!! I like the idea of the hunter becoming the hunted!

The cast is superb in this film. Arnold Schwarzenegger plays the perfect Dutch, Carl Weathers plays the perfect Dillion, Jesse Ventura as Blaine, Bill Duke as Mac, and so on an so forth. Everyone is great in this film!!!

The look of "The Predator" is just perfect too! I can't say enough about how much I like the look of "The Predator". Stan Winston did a fantastic job with the design. Kevin Peter Hall did a fantastic job playing "The Predator" as well!

Not only does this film have a great cast and a great creature designer, but it has one of the best directors around, John McTiernan (Hunt for Red October, Die Hard, Die Hard: With a Vengeance, 13th Warrior, Medicine Man, and more). John really did a great job directing.

Well, if you haven't seen this film yet, I really think you're missing out on something great. I would definitely recommend seeing this film and I really, truly hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Thanks for reading,

-Chris

The best Arnold flick ever!

Author: encyclpedia (encyclpedia@go.com) from Florida, USA
21 March 2002

Superb! From start to finish, this movie left me on the edge of my seat. Arnold S. was perfect in this movie and I don't think any other actor could have pulled it off better. As I watched it, I was just as bewildered as the guys in the mission. Things were happening, and they didn't know what, and niether did I! It was so cool to know my heart was pounding to their rythum. Eventually, when everything was exposed, it got even better. The action was very well plotted and the soundtrack matched perfectly. Carl Weathers was a cool sidekick, giving complaints here and there and turning out to be a mole. My only complaint is Arnold's invincibility. I mean, he died like 5 times in that movie. Either way, that doesn't harm my rating for this movie: 10/10

Arnold VS. The Predator

Author: dee.reid from United States
10 November 2001

Dutch(Arnold Schwarzenegger) and his team of commandoes go off into the South American jungle to rescue some hostages. His team includes Dillon(Carl Weathers), Mac(Bill Duke), Blaine(Jesse Ventura), Billy(Sonny Landham), Poncho(Richard Chavez) and Hawkins(Shane Black). They go in and encounter their enemies but soon discover something more terrifying: the Predator.

This is one of my favorite Schwarzenegger films to come out during the 1980's. The action is tight and director John McTiernan's direction is slick. The Oscar nominated special effects are cool. One should take into consideration about the violence in this movie. The violence hear is quite gory, yet hardly of the supergraphic kind. The skinless bodies of two men are found hanging from a tree, a man's arm is blown off, another man has a hole the size of a basketball blown into his chest, and another man's brains are blown out.

Last, but not least, a lot of praise should go to the towering, late Kevin Peter Hall for his excellent portrayal of the Predator; the silent, invisible hunter from another planet. He literally has all kinds of weapons up his sleave which include a shoulder blaster, a blade, and a powerful self-destruct weapon. Kevin Peter Hall returned to do the highly underrated sequel Predator 2 with Danny Glover and Gary Busey.

True Fear in a fascinating movie

Author: ArnoldStrong (bavaro@herzeleid.net)
22 June 2001

Well, this movie deserves a place in the list of the best action/sci-fi movies ever. But what I think is what makes this movie faboulous is the ambient in which it´s played: The Jungle. The claustrophobic ambient a jungle provides, specially if you´re being hunted by an Alien with cloaking abilities and the most advanced weaponry known, is what gives the movie it´s TRUE FEAR. McTierman did an excellent job. But Arnold was in his best. As some critics said, I think Predator (and his character Major "Dutch" Schäfer) was his best action movie. But, as Arnold said, he wasn´t acting... there was real fear there! One more word to say that Stan Winston made one of his best jobs ever. WInston´s a genious. This movie deserves a place in the top. And it can be linked to other wonderfull creations like Alien and Terminator. Welcome to world of the Predator, fellas.

there's something out there waiting for us, and it aint no man...

Author: romeo from Rome, Italy
25 April 2001

This film is a box of popcorn and a half! I was absolutely loving it and I never got tired of the theme where the hunter becomes the hunted. Arnold is superb in this film and what makes this film so memorable is that as a viewer the 'narcissistic scopophilia' comes into effect. In other words, one wishes that they were Arnold accompanied by his mercenaries fighting against this "monstrous thing" with dreadlocks! any way this thriller, this suspense movie, this extravagant, this step-mother of all movies is one to watch and if you haven't seen it then i suggest you do.

by the way...the death scenes are cool!!!