The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking
Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

No wonder everything doesn't fall togeather perfectly. it's fantasy for goodness sake!

Author: joeestlinbm from United States
13 February 2005

I'm a 59 yr old man who watched this movie with his grandkids. We all enjoyed it immensely.

It had everything it should have for a movie that was based on fantastic events. A little girl who had super natural powers, a sea captain ( her father) who was the king of a cannibal tribe, a horse who to some extent could talk, at least well enough that Pipi could umderstand him.

There was also a flying motorcycle, and a flying machine that Pipi powered by twirling around with a broom.

I wouldn't have enjoyed it near as much, had my grand kids not been there to ooh, ahh, and giggle, at what was taking place. It was a very enjoyable movie, and well worth spending my time watching. If you have kids to watch it with, it will be that much more enjoyable.

Enjoyable movie. . .

Author: manny239 from Cincy
19 August 2000

It's funny I see adults come in and rip a movie like this. They rip kids cartoons, and kids movies as being "unrealistic and insane and cheesy", well HELLO it's for freaking kids! They didn't make it for some 25 or older person who wants to complain about every kids movie! I watched this movie when I was 12 and I REALLY enjoyed it! The different "magical" stunts they did, the music (I loved the music) and the likes. Still a good movie for kids of today. As long as you're 12 or under you'll enjoy this movie.

Good fun for kids

Author: lmmsj from Arkansas
26 September 1999

This movies is great fun for kids considering some of the garbage that is on tv these days. The kids love Pippi's outlook on life and her dream in believing that you can do what you set your heart on. She is a girl who believes in herself and looks for the good in others. Kids could do worse.

Fun fare for children and those young at heart

Author: bluefox75 from Harrison, Arkansas, USA
27 June 2003

I'll be the first to admit that this film is light-hearted and often silly. After all, the Pippi books are silly and light-hearted, so why shouldn't a movie version be? The character of Pippi is a great character study for kids: She is imaginative, creative, confident and above all, a good-willed and courteous child. Anyone who expects her and the stories she stars in to be methodical depictions of the serious side of life should re-examine his/her life and priorities. Maybe then the detractors will realize that life can be fun, at all ages.

Not as great as the books, but not horrendously bad either

Author: syllavus from Massachusetts, USA
9 December 2003

It seems like I'm one of the few Americans who read translations of the Pippi Longstocking books, AND saw this movie as a kid. At this point, I can't remember what came first for me, the books or the movies, but I will say that as a child, I enjoyed both.

Pippi is a GREAT character in literature, I could consider her arguably one of the greatest female characters ever created.

She's strong, she's independent, she's fun, intelligent and gifted.

What girl WOULDN'T want to be like Pippi? I know that reading about her as a little girl, I was endlessly jealous of Tommy and Annika who got Pippi as a playmate. I wished she'd move next door to me.

This movie doesn't do such a great job of translating the Pippi character. She seems less creative and imaginative, and more crazy and dim. There's something about the character of Pippi that is lacking in the movie and the movie loses a lot because of that.

But Pippi aside, the movie isn't ALL bad. It's a late 80's kids movie with cheesy special effects, poor acting, and a silly story. But through all this, it is still enjoyable. The situations that Pippi and Tommy and Annika get in are still fun, and it's a good movie for young kids. If you do show this movie to your kids though, be sure to buy them the books afterwards and show them what Pippi is REALLY like. This movie is a good starting point to get kids introduced to the great character of Pippi.

Fine quality entertainment for all ages!

Author: ChrisK-10 from Fairfax, VA USA
15 April 2002

This movie contains all the necessary elements that make up a great movie. The storyline - it's about Pippi!, that's enough! The Americans succeeded not only in translating Astrid's wonderful creation, but made changes and improvements also. Since I never heard of Astrid objecting, we can assume that she was in agreement. Fine acting, most notably Branscombe Ricmond who, according to my sources, was given a starring role in the hit TV series "Renegade" largely because of the skills he demonstrated in this Pippi movie. Special Effects - Though never elaborated upon, Pippi is possessed of superhuman physical powers. She can, for example, lift persons and horses that outweigh her in multiples, dry herself and fly by some sort of self induced centrifugal force! Fine directing - Mr Annakin seems to keep things on track. There's even innuendos, Pippi proclaims that she "...loves men in uniforms, but policemen are the best!" Fine music - catchy tunes throughout the movie which have often been emulated in other movies. It has been said that Tami Erin could have sang the title song as Inger had in the original Pippi movies, but the powers that were wanted her to concentrate solely upon her acting role, except for shorter tunes which did not require as much diversion. And finally mystery - Tami Erin, our star, for reasons still unknown, was never heard from again. This movie is worth watching over and over again.

Warm, engaging stuff

Author: chinilla1010 from N. Korea
20 November 2009

Most Pippi diehards, critics and Americans, in general, did not accept this film generally, but I have adored Pippi Longstocking for many years and I would like to say it was a worthy effort. This is the first (and maybe) last American adaptation of the red-headed girl. And like most movies based on books, it ain't going to be perfect or accurate. First and foremost, Pippi is supposed to be 9. Tami Erin (Who has seemed to fall off the face of this planet after this), was a budding, svelt, and supple piece of jailbait for years when this was filmed. With that age barrier, she still does duplicate that trademark Pippi buoyancy. Another lasting memory of this film is the incredibly wonderful songs! They make most Disney songs sound amateurish. If any one who grew up with this film, I bet you recall the title song ("Pippi Longstocking is coming into your town..."). One tidbit about that that it's sung by an Austrailan children's chorus. So, it's good to watch once in awhile, not like every day or something. This is a rather weird production, seemingly: * casting an uncomfortably nubile 24-yo for the title role; * bizarre gymnastic stunts with tinkling fairy-dust sound effects (just in case you missed the "Magic"; * funky-pop musical numbers that are as supremely catchy as they are well-written; * cardboard characterization, choppy editing, hammy acting; * Scooby doo-like voice-unders for the horse and the monkey; * added uncharacteristic weakness and insecurity, detracting from Lindgren's strong, supremely self-confident Pippi.

On the whole, it's pretty okay for the 6-10 yo girl set. I vet all movies before presenting to my 7 yo, and though this one has its good and bad points, except for the slaughter of several sheep and a goat (offscreen) it's mostly harmless. Recommended.

Actually the best acting is by the girl who plays Annika, who is sincere, refreshingly unforced, and seems to have had a good time in the production. Pippi Longstocking is so cool and she's better than all these modern kid's characters like the Teleflubbies. The theme tune to those repugnant muppet rip-offs is sublime too! Ooh please someone out there sell me a British version of their video! I could go on and on about Pipi but I've already been sad enough so just buy it!

best children's film around

Author: Romy from Los Angeles, California
21 October 2003

I highly recommend this film for any family with children. This is a top quality production that is great for the whole family to watch! Anyone who I have ever met who has seen this movie loves it, and children who have it on VHS or DVD watch it over and over again. I only wish it was re-released theatrically, so that this generation of children could have the opportunity to see it and embrace it the way I did when I was a child.

Candy Corn

Author: utgard14 from USA
28 October 2015

Kiddy movie about a spirited redhead named Pippi Longstocking who's separated from her sea captain father in a storm and comes to live in a small town. There she introduces the kids to her madcap ways while dealing with stuffy adults and some thieves. Okay this is meant for kids and only kids, so let's keep that in mind before ripping it apart. I know it's corny and cheesy and I can't say that I enjoyed it very much, but I think I might have if I had seen it when I was a child. I am old enough to have seen this when it was first released but, for some reason, I didn't. Truth is I forgot this movie even existed until recently catching it on TV. The cast all does fine, particularly Tami Erin as Pippi. Not recognizing her, I looked at her other roles and saw this was the biggest part in her limited acting career. I also saw that she did a sex tape a few years ago. I can only imagine that is either deeply disturbing or extremely exciting to people who were fans of her back in the day. Aside from Tami, there's some solid support from vets like Eileen Brennan, Dick Van Patten, and John Schuck. There are also many songs in this but none is more catchy than the theme song that's repeated throughout the movie. I want to warn you in advance, this song will find a corner of your brain to inhabit and it will be impossible to get it out. Overall, it's a fun little movie that will play better to pre-teen girls than anybody else. Just be prepared that it's pretty sugary and corny. Oh, and that theme song will stay in your brain forever.

Pippi is shipping!

Author: jai5012002 from United States
18 March 2015

After her father's ship is carried off by a sudden storm, the spunky Pippi Longstocking is stranded with her horse, Alfonso, and monkey, Mr. Nilsson, and takes up residence in the old family home, which is thought by neighborhood children to be haunted. Soon, two children, Tommy and Annika, venture into the house only to meet up with Pippi. The three soon become friends and get into various adventures together, including cleaning the floor with scrubbing shoes, dodging the "splunks", going down a river in barrels, and helping Pippi with the problem of having to go to a children's home. Older children will probably get the most out of this movie.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]