IMDb > Over the Top (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Perhaps the finest 93 minutes of cinema ever produced

Author: dossadam from United States
21 February 2005

This movie embodies all that I find amazing in a movie. Passion: about a son, a truck, and, of course, arm-wrestling. Sly Stallone deserves an exponentially increased amount of respect for writing this masterpiece. I don't understand how someone can watch this movie and fail to be entertained by the compelling plot and characters.

As a movie from the 80s, Over the Top pretty much represents everything good about the decade. Other than perhaps Rocky IV, this is definitely Stallone's best work. The man is unquestionably a genius. The only part of the movie that is a little far-fetched is when Stallone plows through his father-in-law's gates in a moment of pure man-passion. The unrealistic quality of this scene is obviously the lack of explosion when Stallone's truck hits the gates. This is also an anomaly of the 80s; I think Stallone was going for something unique in a decade of decadence, but I can only hope to comprehend the motives behind any of his films.

I would highly recommend Over the Top for anyone who enjoys classy film.

Am I delirious or is this an alright flick?

Author: jehn from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
28 December 2001

I recently remembered seeing this film when I was much younger and liking it. When I checked it out on IMDb, I was quite disturbed. Why in the world would I like this weird, arm wrestling movie with Sylvester Stallone? So I rented it again to see why I had liked it as a kid or to see if I had been delirious when I first saw it. The strange thing is, even though it is not at all my type of movie, I still really enjoyed it. I've heard that the kid is a bad actor and all, but I really don't think he is. Maybe I'm still delirious, but I thought the movie was pretty darn heart warming.

Forget the wannabe movie critics...

Author: tarheel777 from lala land
31 January 2003

Some LOVE this movie. I do. I LOVE the soundtrack. You'll see a million posts from "critics" on here who will look down their nose at this flick. Do you like a movie? WATCH IT! Forget what these morons say about bad cinematography, etc. Movie-makers create films for one reason -- viewers' pleasure (which brings money). Great 80's movie. Period.

I have watched this movie at least 25 times

Author: Nas150 from United States
19 January 2005

Well... I will start by saying that I realize that every movie is not for everyone. That being said, I will say this movie is very much to my liking, I watched this movie in the theater when it was new with my family...we all liked it then & My brothers & I still do to this day. Some of this could be due to the fact that our father was a truck driver & my older brother is a truck driver now as well. Add to that the fact that this is a Stallone movie + having to do with the sport of arm wrestling & you have a winner in my book. Yes I will admit that you know ahead of time what is going to happen in the end, but to me that doesn't take away from the enjoyment of this film (atleast for myself) It also has very touching moments thru out the movie. When Mike's Mother/Stallones x wife in the movie is found to have passed away, wile Lincoln Hawk(Stallone) & his son Mike were on the way to see her still gives me moist eyes every time as well as other situations during the film. Plus the very cool classic Stallone lines that stick in my head to this day.... "The world meets nobody halfway Mike"...& "You've gotta do what's best for you"....& the "I'm thru talking" response to Mr. Cutler's body guard just to name a few. Yes the movie has the same concept as the Rocky films & the Rambo films with the underdog winning in the end, but come on now who want's to go to the movies & see the hero of the film come up just short in the end. The movie has a good soundtrack as well with Kenny Loggins doing a few of them...Over all it is a simple movie but a great movie, I am looking for it on DVD

Classic Stallone

Author: xcc1224 from Pennsylvania
19 June 2003

I read one comment that said this movie is boring and lifeless which is a false statement. This movie is classic Sylvester Stallone and if you enjoyed the Rocky series you will enjoy this also. There are not many movies out there about arm wrestling but this movie does a great job and who better to star in the role but Stallone. Their might be some things in this movie that are stupid but it is the kind of stupid you laugh at. Also the names in this movie are great also, and it is just like a Stallone movie to have great names, but Lincoln Hawk is a great name. Underdog movies like this are great to watch and no one does them better than Stallone. The names and the one liners definetly make this movie worth watching. "When I turn the hat around its like a switch."

This film does what any good 80s movie should

Author: supereva from Oceania
10 October 2000

This film is all about the thrill of seeing Stallone reveal his more 'sensitive' side. Not to mention the great scenes where he works out the rippling biceps of his 'wrestling arm' using an ingenious hand-weight pulley system in the cab of his truck. Sure it's cheesy, but this film does what any good 80s movie should. The part where he turns his cap backwards before a wrestling match is a highlight, symbolising some kind of metamorphosis from sensitive dad to macho man. What a great flick!

The movie that made turning your hat backwards cool!

Author: Vpirates62 from Vidor, TX
20 March 2001

I grew up on this movie. This is the first movie I ever recall watching. My grandpa has his own Tractor-Trailer and I always went with him on road trips, so I instantly fell in love with this movie when I saw the truck. Even though it's an old, beaten up, disgusting truck, I would have to say it looks pretty sweet. Lincoln Hawk, played by Sylvester Stallone, is a independent trucker just trying to put his life back together. He realized he made mistakes, and tries to reconcile with his son that he abandoned years earlier. When the boy's grandfather offers Hawk the offer of a life time, and Hawk refuses....it's very clear to him, that he has no other choice but to win, and the determination really shows. Sly acts a bit uninterested in this movie...you can see it in his eyes. Every now and then you can catch his wandering off and not paying attention. If you watch closely, some of the extras often keep there eyes on the camera, and Sly will look at them. Pretty good movie, could have been better, but it's a for sure movie to watch.

Very inspiring!

Author: Nickolai Gemedjiev (ngemedjiev@gmail.com) from Bulgaria
28 November 2004

I find every movie of Silvester Stallone very inspiring no matter what the critics may say. Maybe because he is the brightest example of a man who reached so much in his life. I am not a truck driver. I am a judge. But I can tell right after the first few minutes of the film how much Mr Stallone got into his character. He is even driving with the gestures of a real truck driver.

I think it takes too much to be an actor of his value, to go deep into his character and to drive a huge truck. And again there comes the idea of physical strength and stamina.

Which I find very inspiring. Not drugs, bad language and manours. Training the body and the mind. Silvester Stallone is one of my inspirations to deal with sports. And I have done it for over a decade now.

Sly acts a bit 'un-interested' in some parts of this film.

Author: Dianna Trent from NJ
23 November 2000

Good choice of work for Sly - a trucker. Something 'masculine', on the move. He wrangles with his father-in-law for custody of his son, who thought his dad (Sly) disowned him. To the contrary, grandfather didn't want the boy associating with Sly because he was'nt 'of money' like grandfather was. When Sly's former wife dies of cancer, (Susan Blakely again), Sly sees it as a 'sign' to take his responsibility seriously & raise his son the only way he knows how - take him on the road with him, teach him not to be a spoiled brat all his life, live a little! At first, his son rejects him totally. But later on when he finds out the truth about his dad, he decides he WANTS to be with him.

Yes, the veritable 'macho-sport of arm-wrestling' is thrown in as a way to win big money quick & show-off Sly's ever-bulging muscles. But hey! What's a Sly-film without muscles?? See this one for family entertainment. Sly might be a bit 'wooden' with some of his lines, but the action scenes are typically Sly!

A real crowd-pleaser

Author: Myke Tunnicliff (mykesurfer7@yahoo.com) from Syracuse, New York, USA
17 December 2005

It's hard to dislike Over The Top. Sure, it can get corny, old-fashioned, far-fetched (the gate-crashing scene, fun and unbelievable.) The movie sorta plays like a cross between Highway to Heaven and THe A-Team. But somehow, you find yourself watching despite whatever 'good judgment' you think you might have regarding the cinema. You get swept up in the film's good vibes. You care about what happens to Hawke and his son. Most of the credit for this has to go to Sylvester Stallone. He plays the part of a truck driver coping with the new experience of getting to know his twelve-year-old son for the first time quite well. You care because you sense how much HE cares. it is conveyed by a sure delivery from Stallone. His character never seems too slight or well, too Over the top. There is a bond that slowly forms between him and his son. And the movie has a great "training" montage complete with great song that will remind you of what was so good about the Rocky films. David Mendenhall agreeably plays the part of Mike with the combination of distrust, arrogance and vulnerability you would expect from someone his age who went thru what he did.. No, he's not Haley Joel Osmont. We won't leave the movie shaking our heads at his incredible,precocious talent. That doesn't mean he didn't acquit himself nicely in the film. Robert Loggia's role could have been fleshed out a little more. He seems to much like a comic-strip villain. The film could have delved more into his reasons for hating Hawke. that part could have been beefed up a bit.

I enjoyed the Arm-wrestling backdrop. It was a refreshing change for movies of that era that boasted big stars like Stallone. Usually, movies that were sport-specific other than the trad football, baseball, or boxing stories tended to use people who were less known (Gotcha, Gleaning the Cube)

A good film. warm, funny, exciting. The better face of the Eighties cinema.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]