IMDb > Opera (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

pure terror

Author: horrorfan81 (horrorman81@aol.com) from scotland
24 March 2006

Here we have another film by the Italian master of horror Dario Argento, Opera aka Terror at the opera, this has got to be the one for all horror fans everywhere, it is based on the Phantom of the Opera in which Argento made his version of it in the early nineties. But like all his other films Argento uses real animals (none of them were hurt during the making of this film)and his genius ways of using great camera angles and his sadistic mind of hurting people in different ways as possible. i was very young when i first saw this film and i can still remember this film from start to finish. No horror collection would be complete without having this film, after watching this film you wouldn't consider it boring.

Scary Relentless Movie but wait Here's your ending. (SPOILER)

Author: bellhollow from Nashville, Tennessee
12 May 2004

(SPOILER)

OK, so I watched this movie after indulging in Suspiria. Had some friends that argued which one was better. Well folks, Suspiria wins the overall award because the ending is not messed up. Opera had me going nuts. It was relentless and constantly putting the victims into the horrible task of viewing. I just could not believe the ending. What the heck was that all about? I'm sorry but I guess I'm supposed to feel happy that she went nuts in a nice sort of way? I think I would have been nuts after killing number one. During killing number one, I tried to keep my eyes open and guess what, I could not do it. I guess I would just had to have been sent to the looney bin after that.

The ending made me think of Sound of Music. Seemed quite bizarre for this Pollyanna walk in the mountains. I was quite disappointed in that incredibly lame ending.

Opera's ARE fun after all

Author: Bjorn (ODDBear) from Iceland
13 January 2004

An opera singer is terrorized by a hooded madman who makes her watch every time he kills.

The film has many of the great qualities you've come to expect from Dario Argento. The dizzying and frenetic camera-work is awesome. If there's one thing Argento is a genius at, it's at creating unforgettable imagery. The murder scenes are particularly vicious this time around, even on par with his equally nasty Tenebrae. One scene in particular involving a telephone and a peep hole, well, it's among the coolest scenes I've ever seen. This film truly is operatic in every sense.

However, the film does present some annoying problems. The script isn't all that water tight. That in itself isn't such a pest, but the way Argento makes some of his characters behave, well it's simply beyond me. I won't spoil anything, but I'm sure viewers are all in agreement on certain scenes.

The voice dub on this movie is really bad. I've never seen the Italian version, I've read somewhere that it's superior to the English one. It simply must be, because here it's simply atrocious. All of Argento's movies are dubbed (though I think Trauma might be the only exception), so I'm used to that, but this is by far the worst dub yet.

The music. The heavy metal tunes, while they do pump up some scenes to extremes, I simply don't think they're appropriate. Argento is constantly displaying incredible beauty in the midst of all the extreme violence, so I would have thought that maybe just plain Opera music would have contrasted the violence on-screen nicely. Just a thought.

That said, Dario Argento's Opera is an incredible movie. It's so expertly well done in all technical departments, and it's great to see how Argento maximizes big budgets (all the settings, like Christina Marsillach's apartment, the exterior scenes, the air vent scene) to greatly increase the film's visual aspect. His tongue in cheek humor (the way she can't not look at the murders) gets a great display here also.

Highly recommended

Great Movie!

Author: kita117 from Maryland
7 August 2003

As I say over and over and over again, not one movie that I have seen from Dario Argento is not good. This movie hits the spot. Argento always comes up with great ideas of the way the killers in his movies torture people mysteriously. Anyway, this movie is a must see and I give it 4 stars out of 5 stars.

Modern Day Phantom of the opera

Author: gpolice_97 from US of A
22 March 2002

this film is brilliant!!!!!!!! its a modern day "Phantom of the Opera"!!!!

and some of the scenes in this film are so Brilliant!! the bullet scene is one of those scenes that is so memorable....(if you dont know what I mean, rent this film!)and the needles taped to her eyes!...

the characters are well developed,the musical score is right on..and the sense of sadism here is right on...you actually FEEL for the main character...

Argento does it again! , he has a flair for a haunting experience that takes film to a different level!!!

this film isnt without flaws however, the flaws I find are the rock songs meshed in the film...they dont seem to fit!! and where are all the cops when people have been murdered?? a gun shot isnt heard by other tenants? I think they would call the cops,and they would be swarming over the crime scene!! other than this, this film rocks! and is set up there with Hitchcock's "Psycho" for me!...

8 out of 10

Author: nekrochop from Middlesbrough, England
22 November 2001

At the time of writing, the overall rating for this film was 6.8 out of 10.

I previously owned a full-frame VHS copy of the film ,and would've agreed with that score. But ...

Having seen the stunning anamorphic w/s version now out on Anchor Bay DVD this really is one of Argento's most satisfying features.

OK, the finale is still a cop-out (although the 36 min documentary explains how this was never intended to be shot anyway). But the set-pieces are fantastic - the crows defending the dress; the 1st murder; the bullet-through-the-peephole scene ... Don't worry, these ain't spoilers. You'd have to sit through the film to even understand what I'm writing!

OK, a couple of the performances are flat. OK, it's not as colourful as SUSPIRIA or INFERNO. But it's a lot better than the majority of 80s horror flicks ...

Main gripe ... Brian Eno's TERRIBLE heavy metal score!

how could you not like this movie?

Author: ringbearer from wichita
7 November 2001

I have now seen most of Argento's movies. It isn't the best that I have seen (that was Suspiria), but Opera comes very very close in second. I mean, how could you not like it. It had suspense, it had horror, and an original plotline. Unlike some of his movies, it had pretty good acting in it. It wasn't award winning, but is was definitely watchable. and unlike for instance inferno and phenomena, the music score seemed to fit the movie. I think over all, the movie was pretty good. If you're an Argento fan, then you should know what to expect. In my opinion, it's one of his best. I don't think I blinked once through the first murder scene. Those of you who share my opinion know what I mean. Horror, suspense, gore, a phsychotic serial killer, and a couple of the best murder scenes I think that I have ever seen make this a memorable movie that I think anyone with a good taste in the art that it takes to make a good horror movie will like it.

This is art

Author: gerrypig from norway
13 August 2001

One of my all time favourites...

To have such a great understanding for using the right camera angles at the right time.... what can I say... Masterpiece.. A must see for people interested in art...

Not Argento's best, but still good

Author: preppy-3 from United States
1 June 2001

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!! A pretty young woman gets to sing the lead in the opera "Macbeth" and, at the same time, has a vicious hooded killer stalking her, tying her up, and placing needles under her eyes so she has to watch while he horribly kills people. The story is vague, the dubbing sucks, there's zero characterization and there's a truly laughable ending (what was Argento thinking?), but who watches Argento's films for plot or intricate characters? You watch for his masterful direction (in full throttle here) and extreme violence (plenty of blood and gore). The gaps in plot (and logic) are HUGE, but the movie moves very quickly and Argento's camera never stops moving. There's also the infamous bullet in the eye-through the head-destroying the phone scene. Also the bits and pieces of opera we hear are good and he plays loud and abrasive music during the murder scenes. My only complaint--the stupid ravens. They do figure in the plot, but they're shown WAY too much and their frequent crowing drove me crazy. So, well worth seeing, especially for Argento fans. See the unrated version.

Suspense, thrilling, one of Argento´s masterpieces

Author: Ruediger Landraf from Vienna, Austria
1 March 2001

An opera premiere, a young female singer gets - accidentally - the chance to sing the main part, and gets in focus of a weirdo, who just loves to bondage her and killing people right in front of her eyes.

After a shocking start the movie turns out to be a "who done it" - and even if the plot sometimes puts suspense in front of credibility - it really stays thrilling.

The murder is identified by blackbirds - after that the last twenty minutes are pure showdown - Argento at his best. And like in the most of Argento´s movies, the murder does not only get a second, but a third chance - you really have to wait to the last second of the movie till the thrill is over.

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]