IMDb > The Monster Squad (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Fred Dekkar's Other Cult Classic

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
16 March 2004

Prospective Monster Squad viewers may recognize the name Fred Dekkar, the director of another 80s cult classic, a zombie horror called Night of the Creeps. Monster Squad follows in that tradition as the horror-comedy about a gang of young kids who save their town from Dracula and his goons. In my opinion, Monster Squad is a much more enjoyable movie than Night of the Creeps.

The Monster Squad refers to a tree house club of five kids who are self-proclaimed horror fanatics. Little did they know that their enthusiasm in the genre would suddenly come in handy as their town in suddenly invaded by Dracula and a few other memorable horror villains in their classic form. Drac is terrorizing the town, trying to locate a powerful amulet which has the potential for serious disaster. When no one else believes the kids, or when no one else is powerful enough to stop them using traditional crime fighting methods (arresting the Wolfman didn't seem to work out), the Monster Squad (with the help of Scary German Guy and Frankenstein) takes things upon themselves to save the day.

This movie was great because, although the monsters may appear somewhat corny (not forgetting that it is technically a family horror film), it still has a heap of great qualities. The kids are actually all pretty cool (especially Rudy, even though his wears his pants so tight, you can see what side he tucks on). Great music, great cast (Andre Gower, Robby Kiger, Ryan Lambert, Stephen Macht, and Jon Gries), and great fun!

Fans of obscure 80s movies are sure to add to the cult following. You won't be disappointed. It is loads of fun. Bona Fortuna!

Cult classic monsterpiece!!

Author: freewillgeek from Michigan
12 May 2004

What's not to love about this great flick?! It's got humor and great moments with the classic monsters, rendered in styles much more in keeping with the Universal tradition than the slick "Van Helsing" (which I do like).

The kids are great, the monsters look good, and the jokes are actually funny. WHEN will this film be released on DVD?! It deserves the special edition treatment.

I've seen this film so many times, first as a youth when it was released, and it never gets boring.

It's campy without being stupid, and tongue-in-cheek antics abound. Anyone notice the odd way that this film and "Evil Dead 2" seem to have shared similar endings? It's kind of strange, really.

ANYWAY, would love to see this released as a nice DVD.

"Wolfmans got nards" a quote from Horace(also known as Fat Kid)

Author: giggs from Sutton, Ma.
5 May 2000

Great movie. This is the #1 all time best family/horror flick you can see. When I was in preschool I use to watch this movie all the time. Over, and Over. And I blame this one single movie for my great taste in cheesy, violant, Slasher/or not, horror movies. I'm now starting to wach more and more horror B- movies (anything by Troma team video I highly recommend). But back to the monster squad its all about these kids who are really into the whole idea of monsters and stuff. So, they start this Monster club(Hence the name "monster squad"). But the craziest thing happens, Dracula, Frankienstien, The Mummy, The Wolfman, and a swamp creature, all come back to life. With the help of the school tough guy, Rudy they challenge these classic monsters to the death.

FUNNY. 10 OUT OF 10

Great monster movie for films buffs

Author: Brad L. Wooldridge (HulkSmash@windstream.net) from Barry, Texas USA
28 December 1998

The Monster Squad is a terrific re-telling of the House of Frankenstein, set in the late 80s. A group of young boys unearth an evil secret within the diary of vampire hunter, Dr. Abraham Van Helsing (Dutch, not German, but forgivable). Dracula has returned, and has re-animated Frankenstein's monster, and brought along a innocent, but tortured werewolf, the frightening, Creature of the Black Lagoon-esque Gill-Man, and a 2000-year old Mummy.

The SFX are spectacular, and the make-up and costuming are very well-made. This movie closely follows the the myths and folklore of popular monsters (only wooden stakes and garlic are effective on vampires; even dynamite cannot stop the silver-prone werewolf; etc.)

The acting is somewhat lacking, but this is a kid's Saturday night drive-in type movie. Only Duncan Regehr (syndicated TV's Zorro) as the truly and unrelentingly evil Dracula is worth mentioning. However, Tom Noonan as the kindly and gentle Frankenstein's monster is a great departure from the malevolence of his counterparts.

Highly recommended.

Childhood Memories

Author: macgruder from United States
19 January 1999

This movie brings back childhood memories of watching TV all day long during the summer vacation. This movie was, and still is, one of my favorite movies of all times. Just watching it makes me happy. So what if the acting is not top-caliber. It has a great story and the characters are all fun to watch. It is a highly amusing film that you should watch if you've never seen it.

Great kids film

Author: Mori from Iceland
15 April 2002

This is a great and imaginative kids adventure film. Well acted, well written and the monsters look great. I'm sure that many parents would be conserned by the cursing in this film done by 12 year olds (most likely the reason this gem hasn't hit DVD yet) but I have never understood how some people think that cussing will destroy your kids brain and turn him into a drug addict. It's good wholesome fun for everyone.

Why the dismal ratings?

Author: Axesbowledaslove from SoCal
6 July 2001

Give this movie a chance.

Imagine "The Goonies" without the budget but with all the heart. The Monster Squad is a pack of grade-schoolers with an ear to the rail on the evil doings of monsters. No, they haven't seen any monsters-- but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

You guessed right. Turns out there are monsters running around all over the place, and they are fixing to put the mortal screws to Portland, Oregon. Lucky for us there are a few heros, mostly fifth or sixth graders and a beagle pup, who will act instead of sitting around worrying about their marriages like some stupid adults we know.

The Monster Squad is one of these rare movies that treats kids, the problems they face, and their unique solutions to the same with grace, wit -- and solid respect. This superbly sweet and memorable movie deserves more than the 5.5 it got here at IMDB.

Great scene: Leonardo Cimino plays the film's Boo Radley, the strange recluse whom all the kids fear without knowing why. When Sean, the leader of the Monster Squad, is given a book that can illuminate why the monsters are reappearing, he has no choice but to seek the man's help. The book, it turns out, is in German. Not only does the scary man speak the language, and kindly help them get through the important passages in the book; it also happens that he knows what monsters are.

You might need to explain to your kids what the numbers tattooed on the scary mans forearm are.

Really enjoyable...and definitely 80's!

Author: ivony from United States
19 May 2003

Having grown up a child of the 80's crazes, I happen to love just about anything 80's...even if for no other reason than to now poke fun at it. Monster Squad is no different. I absolutely LOVED this movie when it came out and watched it over and over again. A few years back I decided to watch it again and, well, I still loved it. Ok, so it was a lot cheesier than I remembered, but it's still great fun.

Monster Squad has some great dialogue and really entertaining scenes. Plus, you've got all the classic monsters which truly make this film worth watching.

I highly recommend anyone who has a love for anything 80's, or just like fun, simple movies to check this out. It really is worth it!

A great film...Not an Academy Award or anything though yet still a good film.

Author: riddler_1138-3 from Broken Arrow, Ok
30 November 1999

I saw this film a couple of years ago and it still remains to be one of my most favorite monster/comedy films of all time.

It has an easy to follow plot, people you can root for and some pretty good special effects. If your a real monster film buff, you'll enjoy some good trivia throughout.

A good score for all involved.

Out of 10..........9/10

Highly Entertaining Cult Movie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
21 April 2015

One hundred years ago, Dracula and other monsters survive to the attack of Dr. Van Helsing and his men to his castle with a magical amulet. In the present days, Dracula travels to the United States and arrives in a small town. He summons the Werewolf, the Mummy, the Swamp Thing and Frankenstein's creature to help him to retrieve the amulet.

In the town, a man claims that he is the werewolf and goes to the police station to ask to be locked up in a cell. Meanwhile a mummy vanishes from the local museum and police detective Del (Stephen Macht) is assigned to investigate the case. When his son Sean (Andre Gower), who is a monster fan, learns the news, he joins his friends Patrick (Robby Kiger), Horace (Brent Chalem) and Rudy (Ryan Lambert) in his monster club to read a Van Helsing's journal that was given by his mother. However the book is written in German and they are not able to translate it. So they asks for help from their weird neighbor that they call Scary German Guy (Leonardo Cimino) and they discover that they need to recover the amulet and a virgin to get rid off Dracula and the monsters. Meanwhile Sean's little sister Phoebe (Ashley Bank), who is unsuccessfully trying to join the club, befriends Frankenstein's creature. The unlike group brings Patrick's sister (Lisa Fuller), who claims that is virgin, to read the passage that sends the monsters to the limbo. Will they be successful in their intent?

"The Monster Squad" is a highly entertaining cult movie with a funny story that entwines adventure, dark comedy and horror. This film is also a tribute to the Universal Monsters. There is a touching moment when the Scary German Guy tells to the kids that he has experience with monsters and we see a concentration camp number on his arm. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Deu a Louca nos Monstros" ("The Monsters Have Gone Crazy")

Note: On 24 July 2016, I saw this film again.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]