IMDb > Mannequin (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mannequin

Mannequin More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Oh, come on. It's a cute movie.

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
11 November 2003

I was a little bit disappointed to see that this movie is a 4.8 on IMDb. After all it's not that bad. It's a funny story with a romantic plot. No, of course it isn't Oscar material, and it's not the ultimate comedy. But it's just a feel good movie that you'll enjoy if you're into cheesiness.

Honestly, if you're telling me that you couldn't laugh at Captain Felix and his dog, Rambo, you must not have a funny bone. Especially for that funny scene where he and Mr. Richards end up in that car chase with Jonathan and Emmy, I mean come on, you had to laugh at that. There are also more than a few funny scenes that I thought more people would get a kick out of. Apparently, I was wrong, but please do give this movie a chance. I grew up with it and still love it 'till this day. Not to mention every time I hear that song "Nothing's gonna stop us" I think of the mall. :D

Delightfully silly romantic comedy-fantasy

Author: jhaggardjr from Chicago, Illinois
17 June 2000

"Mannequin" is a silly movie to be sure. But I found it to be very funny at times. I was just a teenager when I first saw this movie back when it came out in 1987. My mom took me and a friend to see this, and we all laughed and had a good time. It's no classic, but so what. All that matters is that it's a fun movie, and that's exactly what this is. Andrew McCarthy stars as a man who's had bad luck with working jobs. His main interest is to be a sculptor. At one of his jobs he made mannequins, and for some odd reason he seems to fall in love with the last mannequin he made. Later he gets employed at a department store that has taken that mannequin in. And before you know it, the mannequin comes to life in the form of an Egyptian princess. But she only comes to life when the two are alone together. When someone else comes into the scene, she freezes up and turns into a mannequin again. This may sound like a stupid premise, but I don't care. "Mannequin" is a movie that's very entertaining. It's not a laugh riot, but I did laugh quite a bit throughout. Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall (as the mannequin) look as if they're having a blast, and if I was the McCarthy character, I would have a blast too. The supporting cast includes Estelle Getty (from TV's "The Golden Girls") as Mrs. Timkin, the friendly owner of the store; James Spader (in an early film role) as the smarmy manager of the store; G.W. Bailey (from the "Police Academy" films) as the bumbling midnight security guard of the store (who spends most of his time talking to his dog); Meshach Taylor (from TV's "Designing Women") as McCarthy's assistant (who acts strange most of the time); and Carole Davis as McCarthy's former girlfriend (who works at a rival department store nearby). All join in on the lunacy of "Mannequin". This is a nice, little picture.

*** (out of four)

Delightful screwball comedy from the '80s...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
25 May 2008

The low IMDb rating for MANNEQUIN is imbecilic. This is a thoroughly delightful mixture of madcap comedy and romance, played to the hilt by a sparkling cast of players who all have a gift for comedy.

ANDREW McCARTHY is at his best as a young man drifting from job to job who ends up employed by ESTELLE GETTY at her almost defunct department store. It isn't until he gets real inspiration for window displays from a mannequin who becomes a real person whenever others aren't around, that the picture soars into romantic fantasy. KIM CATTRALL is the gorgeous dummy who comes to life and wins the heart of the hero who is at first reluctant to believe his own eyes.

The sets and costumes are fantastic, the supporting cast is excellent and the script stays in high gear until the last twenty minutes when things get a little too hectic, even for a comedy/fantasy. But it's all in good fun, a cheerful flick easily enjoyable if you like fantasies of this kind and all of it is well photographed in pleasing color with splendid sets.

ANDREW McCARTHY, KIM CATTRALL, JAMES SPADER (especially funny as a smarmy business man), and G.W. BAILEY (as the night detective) all demonstrate a flair for comedy in roles they obviously enjoyed playing.

Well worth watching.

I Love This Movie. It Is So Enjoyable.

Author: picturegallery12345 from Western, NY
5 October 2004

It's about a guy who is down on his luck has an incredible woman come into his life and make his life better. The only problem is that she is a mannequin who only comes to life when no one else is around.

Kim Cattrall is amazing. She is beautiful, sexy, fun, loving, and full of life. She makes the fantasy character ideal and personally I think that she deserves an award for this film. Andrew McCarthy is also very charismatic and likable in this film.

This movie is light, silly, funny, romantic, and very entertaining. It's a feel good movie definitely worth watching.

Good fun and not too serious

Author: Shippmeister from Australia
17 December 2002

I doubt that this is one of the best films ever made, but it is without a doubt one of the better films of the eighties. The acting from McCarthy and Cattrall is superb and the soundtrack is also credible. There are some bad points, but they only show if you analyse too cynically. Some call ti the seminal eighties movie, and rightfully so with many decade references and costume get ups, (think Hollywood Montross, and the scene where Emmy and Jonathon dance there way through the store) All in all a good movie, worthy of 4.5 out of 5 stars

She's the dummy!!

Author: syllavus from Massachusetts, USA
26 February 2004

This film is proof that not every movie needs to have academy award winning performances, a gripping plot and special effects to be enjoyable. Mannequin is certainly not a spectacular piece of cinematic achievement, but its simplicity and light-heartedness is what makes it great! I've loved this movie ever since I was a kid and I always, and still do, find it a fun and enjoyable watch, especially on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Jonathan Switcher is a down-on-his-luck artist. He can't hold down a regular job because his creativity keeps on sabotaging his productivity. One day he saves a little old lady who gratefully offers him employment at the department store that she owns. Jonathan goes to work arranging the store's window displays, and happens across a mannequin that he built during one of his short lived careers. Low and behold, the mannequin he created comes to life when the two of them are alone and a fun and silly romantic comedy ensues.

The entire plot is quite silly and full of holes, but the movie is pure fun. Andrew McCarthy is cute and endearing as always and Kim Cattrall is fun and witty as the bubbly mannequin. This film is rife with great one-liners and hysterical situations and of course a great 80's style musical montage. Actual one of the most unfortunate things about this film is that the music is great and a soundtrack album was never released! For shame!

Of course Mannequin isn't thought-provoking, nor is it clever or cinematic ally impressive. It's just a cute silly little film that will make you laugh as long as you don't take it too seriously.

Nothing can come between the love of a man and his Mannequin

Author: anonymous
16 November 1998

This is a fun loving romantic comedy that hits the spot every time I watch it.

I love this film. It may not be Oscar winning material but it is high entertainment full of jokes, unusual situations and one of the best "high speed chases" I have seen.

Andrew McCarthy is so adorable as the out of work artist who finds his inspiration from the mannequin he designs and makes.

Kim Catrall puts in a good performance of the time travelling Egyptian princess who is never quite content with her situation until she reaches "present day America" in the form of a department store mannequin.

I definitely recommend this movie. It will cheer you up or just fill in an evening's movie entertainment. Whatever you do with it enjoy it cause deep down it's a love story that everyone will be really satisfied with.

Cute 80's flick

Author: Adriane Simo (adriane7@mindspring.com) from chandler, az
28 April 1999

I liked this movie. Andrew McCarthy is a classic 80's actor, paired with another 80's co-star James Spader in a cute comedy about a mannequin who comes to life. The music is cool, and it is a cute love story. Meshach Taylor is hilarious as Hollywood, the other window dresser. Watch if you are in the mood for an 80's flick.

One of the Funniest and Most Delightful Comedies of the 80's

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
29 September 2012

In Edfu, in the ancient Egypt, the young Ema "Emmy" Hesire (Kim Cattrall) is a woman ahead of time. When her mother tries to force her to marry a manure dealer, she wishes to go to the future and vanishes.

In the present days, in Pennsylvania, Jonathan Switcher (Andrew McCarthy) is an idealistic young artist that builds a mannequin. However, he is inefficient and can not keep his jobs and his ambitious girlfriend Roxie (Carole Davis) leaves him. But Jonathan sees his mannequin in the window of the Prince and Company Department Store.

On the next morning, he saves the life of Ms. Claire Timkin (Estelle Getty), who owns the Prince & Co., and she asks the corrupt manager Richards (James Spader) to give the position in the stock to Jonathan. The Prince & Co. is near bankruptcy and the Illustra Company intends to but it, using Richards to sabotage the Department Store.

Emmy comes back to life for Jonathan and they arrange wonderful windows. Jonathan is promoted to window dresser, working with the gay Hollywood Montrose (Meshach Taylor) that becomes his friend. Soon Jonathan becomes a successful designer, leveraging the Prince & Co and is promoted to VP. But Illustra's General Manager, Roxie and Richards want to force Jonathan to work for Illustra and kidnap Emmy.

"Mannequin" is one of my favorite films and I can not precisely tell how many times I have watched it. Andrew McCarthy was successful in the 80's and Kim Cattrall is one of the sexiest Hollywood actresses ever. The excellent James Spader is caricatural in the role of Richards and Meshach Taylor is hilarious in the role of a gay window dresser. The result is one of the funniest and most delightful comedies of the 80's. The soundtrack is also wonderful. Unfortunately the IMDb User rating does not mirror the truth about this wonderful and romantic fantasy. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Manequim" ("Mannequin")

I got a kick out of it!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
27 February 2006

This is definitely for the love sick or the romantically challenged. Jonathan Switzer(Andrew McCarthy) is a very talented artist who seems to have a tough time keeping a job. However, his luck is just made when the mannequin he builds in his earlier job, comes to live whenever he's alone. The mannequin named Emmy(Kim Cattrall) who's desire for Jonathan is insatiable. Jonathan's friend Hollywood(Meshach Taylor, "Designing Women") wonders about him while he should worry about his own problems. I liked the small video Jonathan and Emmy made together wearing different outfits while "Do you Dream about Me?" was being played. I liked the flash scene. Then there's the scene between Felix(G.W. Bailey) and Switzer got into the brawl when he thinks Switzer is doing a "dummy". When Switzer rescue Emmy from the shredder, the curse was broken. And everyone got to see her including the bad guys. Hollywood needed a serious realty check, however Felix needs it way more. Because Hollywood says "I'm seeing, but I'm still don't believing" GET OVER IT Hollywood, SHE'S FOR REAL! Anyways, this is a great movie, I enjoyed it very well. Rating 3 out of 5 stars.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]