IMDb > Maid to Order (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Maid to Order

Maid to Order More at IMDbPro »

A bumpy fairy tale, but buoyed by a great cast

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
29 June 2001

Ally Sheedy works very hard to convince us she's a spoiled rich girl who takes everyone for granted. I felt it was all a con, and therefore couldn't wait for her character to make that transformation into a Better Person. Sheedy wasn't necessarily miscast as she was misdirected; she naturally projects a very savvy, efficient persona, and acting childish is beneath her. The second part of the film, with Sheedy working as a maid to wealthy neurotics Dick Shawn and Valerie Perrine (both terrific), is more successful, and the fantasy elements of the plot have had time to grow on us and are more acceptable. There are still some clumsy or awkward moments here, however for the first time Michael Ontkean is a CHARMING Prince Charming (not just a substitute for one) and the supporting cast is made up of wily and likable characters. "Maid to Order" leaves you smiling and that means it has done a good job, though it takes at least thirty minutes to kick into gear. *** from ****

Fantasy Cinderella tale

Author: (sibie@aol.com) from Cambridge, Vermont
15 July 2002

I think this film may have been given too little credit. Although not an Oscar winner by far, it did lead me out of reality for a while and put a smile on my face. It is always nice when a film can do that. The music, by famous film composer Georges Delerue (Steel magnolias) helps cast the spell. Beverly D'angelo is well cast and Ally Sheedy is...well...Ally Sheedy

Cinderella in reverse -- a sweet romantic comedy with lots of heart.

Author: boopsie4 from Virginia
20 June 2000

Good movies just really are few and far between, and Maid to Order is one of the good ones -- although I wouldn't say it was funny ha-ha. It's one of those dreaded "romantic comedies" that male critics love to hate (including Janet Matlin, who tries to be more macho than her male counterparts). It's a "feel good" movie with a message, but it does make you feel good and its message is a good one. It is sweet and harmless and it has become one of my favorites -- there's just something very appealing about it.

Maid to Order has first-rate production values and a wonderful cast, not the least of whom is the late Dick Shawn, in an over-the-top role of a Hollywood record mogul married to Valerie Perrine. They stand out as not exactly your average married couple. Then again, they may BE average for Malibu.

The leads -- Ally Sheed and Michael Ontkean -- are charming and have a lot of chemistry together. The rest of the cast is equally good. It's not meant to be taken seriously and is perfect for a rainy afternoon.

Sweet and charming

Author: vchimpanzee
3 October 2004

Jessie is a spoiled rich kid who finally pushes her widowed father Charles too far. After her father wishes he never had a daughter, one day Jessie wakes up with nothing and is told by "fairy godmother" Stella she will have to make it on her own. The poor girl has no idea how to do that, and the results are predictable but hilarious. The only reason she can get a job: the eccentric but loaded Starkeys want a white maid for a change, and they are amazingly patient. Stan is an agent who represents entertainers but has hit a slump; Georgette changes her hair style (and hair color) numerous times and finally gets it right. Their other servants are Audrey, a formerly popular black singer who had a drinking problem but had children to raise (she doesn't seem to be married), Maria from El Salvador, and klutzy chauffeur Nick.

Eventually, Jessie learns her lesson, and the ending is formulaic but enjoyable. This is a movie that reminds all of us we should be nice to everyone, even the servants, and not be too proud to do the dirty jobs in life.

Ally Sheedy was good most of the time. She started out spoiled but still easy to like, and ended up sweet. The one problem I had with her performance was when she begged for her old life back. Somehow that just didn't seem right. Even though her character was supposed to be a whiner, she just seemed too whiny. Overall, the good outweighed the bad by a large margin.

Most of the other acting performances were really good. I especially liked Theodore Wilson as Charles' servant, maybe because I've seen him in so many roles going back to his days as the mailman on "That's My Mama". And Tom Skerritt is always good.

This was a pleasant movie with lessons to teach us, even though the theme has been repeated many times.

A guilty pleasure, perhaps, but great fun

Author: danpatter2002 from Houston, TX
25 October 2002

This charming fairy tale features some fine performances, especially from Dick Shawn, Valerie Perrine and Beverly D'Angelo. The movie is sweet and enjoyable, and there are a couple of nice songs, too. Suspend your disbelief, pop the corn, sit back and enjoy.

Ya gotta love those 80's styles!

Author: subiaco from Australia
1 February 1999

O.K., so it's not the "Mr. Mom" or "Tootsie" to which it attempts to compare itself. But Ally is cute and you have to love those eighties styles. I love the "Spirit in the Sky" disco performance.

"There is no such thing as a white maid in Los Angeles."

Author: utgard14 from USA
19 June 2016

Rich spoiled brat Ally Sheedy pisses her dad Tom Skerritt off so much he wishes she'd never been born. In steps fairy godmother Beverly D'Angelo to try and help by giving Ally the George Bailey treatment. In a world in which she never existed, she must now work for a living and learn valuable lessons about...I don't know, being poor or something. Anyway she comes out a better person in the end, even if it does feel light-switched. It's not a great movie but it is watchable. For a comedy it's not terribly funny and all it has to say philosophically could be written on the head of a pin. Still, the cast is excellent (far better than it deserves). Ally does a decent job but, if you weren't a fan of hers before, this is unlikely to make you one. Valerie Perrine and Dick Shawn are fun as the weirdo rich couple who hire her as their maid simply because "It's so difficult to find good white help these days." Beverly D'Angelo is great as the fairy godmother. There's a little bit of Cinderella referencing in this, particularly near the end, but I'm not sure why. The story doesn't really follow that path but I suppose if you reworked Cinderella to be about one of the wicked stepsisters it might work. Oh and prepare yourself for the worst scene in the movie, where Merry 'Gimme Shelter' Clayton wows all the rich white people with a dreadful '80s cover of "The Shoop Shoop Song."

A movie I enjoy watching over and over and over...

Author: Carol from USA
2 June 2004

Spoiler, spoiler!...but if you've only seen it once, read this and watch it again, keeping this in mind:

I love this movie! I like how this spoiled brat gets what she deserves, gets a taste of being treated like a nobody, and finally learns that life is about true friendship, family, and giving to others--not about being rich and "buying" friends. When I first watched it, I loved the comedy and the fun. Then, upon watching it again, it made me a better person. How? I was often jealous of rich and never-have-to-lift-a-finger people (like a doctor's daughter I know). After seeing this movie (and going beyond the "I wish that would happen to so-and-so" feelings), I finally realized how sad and lonely it would be for someone like that to have money (do they like me or my money) and to lose it (or constantly worry about losing it). Without the money, a person has to rely on social skills and everyday talents--things the main character (and some people we know) don't have. But finally realizing she has to do something to survive (and do it herself), this "Maid to Order" discovers the true riches of real friendship. We find a caring, generous person deep inside her ("I wish all your wishes come true"). Now that is what I call wealth. I'm trying hard to see that good person deep inside those who have no social skills. With all the money they have, they are still poor. Hopefully, they will learn their lessons before it is too late for them.

WHAT A SPOILED BRAT

Author: youngjacob_2000 (youngjacob_2000@yahoo.com) from Lynn Haven, Florida
11 January 2001

This is a great movie,Ally Sheedy stars as a spoiled brat that learns a valuble lesson when she gets a look at the real world.At first she lives with her rich family,but after many problems she becomes a stranger to them and has to get a job and face life.I liked the movie,warm,funny,entertaining,Ally Sheedy was great.I liked Carmine Iannaccone's small part as the habib.Has anyone seen the horror movie Slaughter High?Carmine starred in that as Skip Pollak.Well,that's all I can say for this film,but it was terrific,great 80's movie.See it if you have'nt already,you'll love it! Jacob Young

Cinderella in reverse -- a sweet romantic comedy with lots of heart.

Author: boopsie4 from Virginia