IMDb > Made in Heaven (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Absolutely Wonderful

Author: Heidelberggirl from Bellingham, WA
27 May 2004

This was a fabulous movie. It makes you sad, and happy, and hoping, and wishing, and everything that a movie should do. The sound track alone is worth it, I bought it and it is SOoooooooooo GREAT!!! Both feature players, Hutton & McGillis are so convincing in their roles. GREAT movie!! It shows that Heaven can be all things for all people, and is just dreamy. You despair at the last minute and then,.... well, you will have to see it yourself. I think it's a real classic. At times it is a real heart grabber. You think.. JUST TURN AROUND!!!

Wish it was on DVD.

True love can always be found.

Author: Tiffany Yelder (tyelder@ccdbbs.com) from Anderson SC USA
29 December 1998

Anytime that a movie is made about heaven, there is always the chance that people may find it unbelievable. This was not the case in this wonderful movie.

Timothy Hutton first plays Mike, a young man who dies tragically saving the lives of a woman and her two kids.

Then he does the worst possible thing that he could do. He falls in love in Heaven. In this movie, no matter who you are in Heaven, you will return to Earth.

He falls in love with Annie, played majestically by Kelly McGillis.

To make a long story short, Annie returns to Earth. And Mike begs to be returned, in hopes to find Annie on Earth as he did in Heaven. He has until his Thirtieth Birthday to find her. With Timothy Hutton and Kelly McGillis leading the way,and wonderful supporting performances by Maureen Stapleton, Mare Winningham, Timothy Daly, and someone who we will just call Emmett, Made in Heaven will touch your heart, make you think, and will show you that you can always find true love.

"What Dreams May Come" Meets "Defending Your Life"...

Author: Ben Burgraff (cariart) from Las Vegas, Nevada
10 March 2004

Alan Rudolph's MADE IN HEAVEN is a pleasant, sweet-natured romantic comedy with a twist; the lovers meet in Heaven, after our hero (Timothy Hutton) dies, rescuing a family from a car that plunges into a river. It may seem familiar territory to viewers of Robin Williams' drama, WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, in it's depiction of the afterlife and reincarnation, and the Albert Brooks' fantasy, DEFENDING YOUR LIFE, which also involves a romance in Heaven (in Brooks' case, with Meryl Streep). Without the budget of the Williams' film (which won an Oscar for it's visual effects), or Brooks' occasionally caustic humor about Divine Judgment, MADE IN HEAVEN is a simpler tale, weaving in a theme of predestination between lovers 'meant' to be together, which makes it a perfect 'date' movie.

Hutton, dealing with being dead and in 'Paradise', appreciates the support of his Aunt Lisa (Maureen Stapleton), a long-dead budding painter in a heavenly Paris, but finds that he is lonely, and feels out of place. Then he meets heavenly guide Annie (Kelly McGillis), a new 'soul', who had never 'lived' on earth before, and the pair soon fall for each other, filling both his need for love and companionship, and her's, for an understanding of life, and passion. They marry, after being granted permission by 'The Boss', Emmett (an unbilled Debra Winger, who plays the male role very convincingly!)

Everything seems perfectly heavenly...until Anne's number is called to be born on Earth. Despite Hutton's pleas that the pair were 'meant' to be together, Anne's destiny cannot be changed...but he does convince Emmett to allow him to be 'reborn' on Earth, insisting that the pair's love would bring them together. With the understanding that his new life may not return him to Heaven, Emmett grants him 30 years to connect with Annie...or else.

In true soap opera fashion, the pair live wildly different lives, and have unfulfilling relationships with other partners, while each experiences flashbacks of the true love they had experienced in Heaven. Time is running out, however, and Hutton's 30th birthday is rapidly approaching, without meeting his soulmate...

A modest film, with a great supporting cast (including Tim Daly, Don Murray, Mare Winningham, and Amanda Plummer), MADE IN HEAVEN's theme, that Love truly DOES conquer all, is irresistible.

Grab YOUR soulmate, and enjoy it!

Possibly the best American romance ever filmed

Author: Niro from Farmington Hills, MI, USA
7 November 1999

...which is saying a lot, I realize.

Hutton & McGillis are so compelling that the myriad of celebrity cameos are immaterial.

This is a film about true, uncompromising, absolutely unquestionable love, and those who've not yet experienced it just might find it here.

The essential scenes in Heaven are, well... pure heaven. Without ignoring the teachings of the various religions, this pulls off what most of us hope Heaven will be like ~ presuming that we actually get there. Yeah, some of this might be considered to be a rip-off of "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" [which was itself ripped off by Beatty's "Heaven Can Wait"] but Hollywood's all about rip-offs, right?

Anyway, I mentioned in the Subject of this mini~review that this might be the best American romance ever made.

In my mind, the very best romance film ever put on celluloid was also "made in Heaven" ~ Wim Wenders' incredible "Wings of Desire" [decently remade with Cage and Ryan as "City of Angels"]

This is a 10.

remember when u really cared about someone?

Author: Don from NY
24 January 2003

A romantic movie about how someone can fall in love on first sight. What I like about this movie is its simplicity. They meet and they fall in love but as all relationships go, they lose each other. Unfortunately life is the reason. Elmo Barnett [Tim Hutton] must find his true love Ally Chandler [Kelly mcgillis] in life and he only has till his 30th birthday to do so. Kelly Mcgillis plays an emotional love sick adult that holds onto love that doesn't exist but in her mind it does. For a low cost movie I found it refreshing and emotionally strong.

excellent love story, with a twist

Author: ajaws (ajaws@eudoramail.com) from fairbanks, Alaska
29 February 2000

If you ever you had something and then lost it, looked everywhere but couldn't get a hold of that one thing that mattered so much in your life. Then this is the movie for you! If you ever fell in love, and something happened and you couldn't do anything to keep him/or her.

This movie will touch something inside you and will help you see how it is on the other side of life (heaven).

One thing that got me was that Emmett in the movie was Debra Winger. The main female in the movie "An officer and a Gentleman." That was another twist.

For those who believe it or not

Author: lelei_oliveira from London
5 January 2004

I absolutly LOVE this movie. The charm and magic of the movie inspire me since I was 9 years old. Thimothy is fabulous and drives the movie to the paces of the character smoothly. For those who doesn't have a bitter heart and wants more than a Meg Ryan movie.

I'm the fan number one of the movie that must be seen by the ones searching for the twin soul.

The songs are also brilliant !!

This is one of my all-time favorites!

Author: Suzanne Banner from Ontario, Oregon
26 November 1998

This movie ranks up there with all those that can be watched time and time again and they never seem to get old or boring. I love this movie and recommend it to everyone.

Incredible, but it might be truth?

Author: betto from México
27 May 1999

It is an excellent interpretation for Timothy Hutton and Kelly McGillis, a love story to be remembered forever, so you can never forget there might be soulmates everywhere trying to find each other without knowing it.

I really liked the song at the end of the movie, an excellent interpretation that shows the emotion they feel when they find each other again, to finish the movie with an excellent feeling that shakes you to the bone.

Positive comment (possible spoiler)

Author: jewel13dec from United States
1 June 2004

I tend to go easy on films that attempt the spiritual or portray great love.

I thought the film was delightful, especially from a Spiritist (Allan Kardec) standpoint. Okay the story and the acting are sometimes a little "cute" and simple, but the ideas are fantastic (heaven, reincarnation, enduring love), and it is fun to watch all the famous folks doing bit parts.

Maybe if we focused our energies into making movies about things that really matter we could have better quality films about God, Heaven, Love, and our true spiritual life. However, we don't, and at least there are a few people who try, such as the people who made this movie. Wish I could find more.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]