IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 33: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

A childhood gem

Author: siderite from Romania
4 August 2007

This movie was something I have seen on an old VHS when I was a kid. I loved it, but for some reason I could only remember that it was with vampires, Keifer Sutherland and the song (Strange, by the Doors, great song). Actually, I best remembered the song.

So I have been searching for it, without really looking, until I've decided to ... ahem... really look, and saw it again. It certainly did not have the same effect as it had in my childhood, but it was nice nonetheless.

First, to the people that said this is one big commercial: you are right. It is all about music, youth and corruption. Watch MTV, enjoy the "young rebel" fashion that is supported by all major labels, buy the tape, but don't get too corrupted, we need you to work when you grow up. But it is also one of the best vampire movies of all time.

The plot is about a gang of vampires, enjoying their night life and total freedom, but after all, they were "made", one head vampire was at fault, and the idea is rendered beautifully by the death of Kiefer's character. With all his vampirism gone, he is just one dead young kid.

If you have the time to reminisce over the gone golden era of the 80's, where people still remembered the 60's ("I was this close to being called Moon Child or Moon Beam") and still enjoyed moderate freedom.

"How far you willing to go, Michael? . . . "

Author: icfarm from United States
11 July 2007

My first impression watching this as a teenage girl? Eye-candy overload! Let's face it, the Lost Boys themselves (along with their almost-recruit, Jason Patric) have got to be one of the best-looking groups of young men ever brought together for one film! And Keifer Sutherland? He looks sexy in a MULLET! Enough said.

On further viewing, this one has come to be my OTHER favorite Schumacher film, beside POTO. The camera work, music, costumes, sets . . . as the Phantom himself would say, "Bravissima"! And the performances are superb, including those from some very young (at the time) actors. My favorites? The entrance of the Lost Boys on the carousel in the opening and the campfire massacre. Mr. Schumacher saved the vamp/gore effects for this moment, but when it came, did he ever deliver! As indicated above, I am a child/teenager of the eighties, but I grew into a thirty-five-year old woman who still adores this movie. Cheers.

Youth Gone Wild.

Author: Howlin Wolf from Oldham, Gtr Manchester, England.
11 July 2007

... Is there a direct link between vampirism and 80's fashions?? Will people who regularly wear leather jackets and have immaculately coiffured hair automatically become more vulnerable to joining the ranks of the undead? How about if you live in a town where open-air concerts are regularly staged by sweaty saxophone players with glistening torsos? If "The Lost Boys" taught me anything it's that these details are ominous signs - and it *should* have taught me something, because it's been played in regular rotation by me since I was a nipper... My hair is a mess and I don't model myself after The Fonz, though, so thus far those teeth haven't grown and I've managed to avoid having fangs as my newest accessory.

There's something about the very time-specific style Joel Schumacher brought to this tale that just works. Throw in a hip young cast on the cusp of greatness - or, in the case of 'The Coreys', implosion - and you really have something that should be a banner event for kids of that time. Impressively though, the jokes are actually funny and still hold up well to this day.

The film as a whole is never going to send a chill up your spine, but what affectionate nods to its genre there are still rock in that nostalgic kind of way that really has a kick to it.

Stays in the Eighties

Author: iDontSleep-iDream from United States
9 July 2007

I saw this film because I judge films on their titles, and this one had quite the snapper. Basically, this film is amazing.

It follows two brothers who move from their home in Arizona to Santa Carlo. Once they get there, strange happenings begin happening, which leads both to the eventual conclusion that the town has a fair number of vampires.

This movie is funny, interesting and, if you are younger, more than a little scary. The score I really appreciate, and was actually one of the first scores I ever did pick out to love. The humor is that kind that is both intended and not. A lot of the jokes and scenes are funny, but at some points there is just a time lapse and you release just how ''80's" the film is, which, as stated, is humorous.

The plot is sound and the characters likable. I recommend this film for anyone under the age of fifteen and anyone over the age who enjoy mildly scary flicks, humor and a whole passel of eighties hair.

A fun film for almost anyone

Author: Lawrence Griffin from United States
17 June 2007

This is truly the only good horror movie I've seen that would qualify as 'family friendly', because it is. It's a high speed, energetic 80s action/horror flick with some pretty funny comedy parts blended in. The movie is short, the plot is simple, and the characters are enjoyable. Sure, it's predictable at times, and most of the action/horror clichés manage to warm their ways into the mix, but you'll be smiling the whole way through. I found myself chuckling at the amusing vampire hunting midgets called the Frog brothers, and I liked the campfire scene, very violent without tasteless gore or blood. The final battle scene was well done, too, very fun to watch. Directing and scenery were top notch, especially at the scene where Michael is 'turned', with the fog and lighting outside. The motorbike race on the sand was very cool. Overall the entire package has a vintage 80s sort of feel, free-riding and hard-hitting, not a care in the world.

This is one of those films you re-visit every now and then for an enjoyable viewing, rather then a spiritual voyage. It's all very high quality and top notch, so film purists probably won't be disappointed. Recommended to pretty much anybody!

One of the Best Vamps movie EVER!!!

Author: i_know_i_die from Singapore
7 June 2007

This is one of the few vampires movies that will make you watch over and over again and not get you bored. The timing is just right, 97mins. It's not too long it's not too short. It's not all serious. It has some jokes in it and it is funny. And when I say jokes I don't mean jokes like farting or anything like you seen in those scary movie series. The jokes follows with the script and not ruin it. And it makes good quotes. It's more of a teenager vampires. Actually punk teenagers. Love the costume. Welcome back to the 80s!!!

The story goes like this. A mom, Lucy, and her two teenage sons, Michael and Sam, goes to Santa Cruz to stay with their grandpa. Then Michael saw a girl, Star. He follows her. He found out she is in this gang who is led by David. He then found out that they are Vamps and he is becoming one. Sam found out Michael is a Vamp. He called his new found friends, the Frog Brothers, who are vamps killer. This is where the fun starts.

The lighting is brilliant. The makeup is perfect. They really look like vamps!!! Camera work is good. As I said before the costume are great. Brilliant script. It never gets boring or make you want to get off you butt just to get some drinks.

This is truly one of the best vampire movies EVER! Of all the vamps movie i seen, this ends up on my Top 5. If you are looking for some good vamps movie, check out Interview With A Vampire. A Comedy one maybe From Dusk Till Dawn. This is a MUST watch for all horror fans.

Good old-fashioned fun ...

Author: Solnichka McPherson from United States
3 June 2007

I saw this movie for the first time in years this afternoon on some cable channel; the first time I saw it was in the theater as a 16-year old boy in 1987, right after I got my driver's license (no pun intended to connect to the Coreys' later film).

The music/soundtrack still stands out as one of the best parts of the movie. It still works 20 years later. The Coreys are ridiculous, of course, but this movie really doesn't try to be serious (does it?). It approaches the themes with light-hearted seriousness, if that's possible.

Jason Patric probably should have played Jim Morrison instead of Val Kilmer; there's a particularly striking moment in the cave of the sunken hotel where he is standing in front of a Morrison poster. But in this movie, he just over-acts. Jamie Gertz does, too. Lil' Sutherland does what he does best in this movie; it's funny to see him now on "24" in such a different place from his "Stand By Me"/"Lost Boys" roles. Twenty years changes a lot.

Overall, this movie is still entertaining despite all its flaws. It doesn't try to be anymore than it is: a silly romp through a legendary evil arena. For that mission, it succeeds. It's fun to watch, even after 20 years. It hasn't aged, because it wasn't trying to be more than it was at the time it was made.

(By the way, having grown up near Santa Cruz, CA, where this was filmed, that's always kept it close to my heart. Might be worth a little extra in the rating for me ...)

The best vampire tale ever

Author: jerome_horwitz from USA
5 May 2007

Most people won't agree with my summary, but I stand by my opinion. When tales of vampires first began hundreds of years ago, to me it's a shame that this isn't the way it all started out. It seems as if most vampire movies are produced like stage productions. The Lost Boys refreshingly is from a different mold.

The Lost Boys is an updated take on the vampire myth. A divorced mother and her two sons are forced to move in with her father due to financial problems. Eventually the boys run into trouble, and become involved with vampires themselves. They do their best to protect loved ones by solving the issue alone, unfortunately they are unable to keep their secret.

Personally I am a huge fan of this film. I've watched it dozens of times over the years, and still enjoy it immensely. Joel Schumacher has directed many great films, and this is definitely one of them. The cast is 1st rate. The soundtrack is excellent as well, and adds only positively to the movie. The combination of comedy and gore are perfect in the movie, and the portrayal of being an 80's teen was hit nail on the head perfect.

This is an excellent movie, and should be viewed by all. 8/10

Funny meets horror in this vamp pic

Author: jonathan45 from United Kingdom
21 April 2007

The lost boys is a film about a biker gang of teen vampires and their attempts to turn a recently divorced mother and two sons in to the undead. They set about recruiting the older teenager,the rudderless Michael. In their path is his younger brother Sam, who along with his friends the comically humourless Frog brothers set about to kill the vamps. Joel Schumaker wisely keeps his trademark campness to a minimum here and avoids doing any political 'gay' elements which would have alienated the audience, instead he keeps the social commentary in the background with the affecting shots of homeless teens eating from rubbish bins, easy prey for society's predators - undead or otherwise. The vampires here are disturbing, razor teeth and wolf like features and sadistic laughing from the shadows hit the nerves. The direction has a humour to it without ruining the horror. Best is the stoner grandad with the last line in the movie '..all the damn vampires'

Best

Author: aprilsings from United States
11 April 2007

This was one of the greatest 80s movies I have ever seen. I really liked it, I stayed up all night and watched it over and over again the first night I saw it.

I was a movie where I wasn't scared by it but by my surroundings for the rest of the night. I recommend it to any friends I can.

I can see Lost Boys in almost every movie I watch now and I'm like Hey that's the wrong movie?!?!?

This movie will have you believing: the impossible, in love,the power of a family bond, and in what kids can really do.

I think anyone could love this movie if they just took the time to see it's beauty!