IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 32: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

The definitive teen horror of the '80s.

Author: Anthony Pittore III (Shattered_Wake) from Los Angeles, CA
12 August 2008

Corey Haim and Jason Patric star as a pair of brothers new to the fictional California beach town of Santa Carla, 'the murder capital of the world.' There, they're split between two worlds: Sam (Haim) is drawn to the world of Vampire hunters (along with Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander); Mike (Patric) is invited directly into the world of the vampires themselves (including Kiefer Sutherland, Alex Winter, and Jami Gertz). Together, they find themselves mixed up in the wild world of the Santa Carla Living Dead.

This was the beginning for The Two Coreys. Both had worked together previously, but none had reached the level of stardom (and friendship) that they achieved in this film. It has long been my favourite vampire movie and my favourite 80s flick. And, after all these years, that hasn't changed. The Lost Boys stands alongside Scream, Friday the 13th, etc. as one of the best teen horrors of all time. It's simultaneously thrilling and hilarious, and contains some of the best scares of the films of its kind. The acting is top-notch from a great and up-and-coming cast. Schumacher's direction worked well with the story. Everything worked. However, I do have a take a little bit off for the strange and out-of-place ending that I was never a big fan of. But, it wasn't enough to come close to ruining the film for me.

Final verdict: 8/10.

My Review

Author: joemamaohio from United States
26 July 2008

Still hailed as one of the best vampire movies out there, "The Lost Boys" centers around four teenage vampires in a small California town, who live like a vampire should live - with no fear of death.

Michael (Jason Patric), Sam (Corey Haim) and their mother Lucy (Dianne Wiest) recently moved to California from Arizona, and Michael starts falling for Star (Jami Gertz), a girl he saw at the boardwalk.

Sam runs into two comic book dealers Edgar (Corey Feldman) and Alan (Jamison Newlander), who tell Sam that the town is overrun with vampires. Sam doesn't believe it until the Lost Boys decide to choose Michael as their next initiation.

Michael slowly becomes more vampire-ish, and Sam wants to save him, but the only way to stop Michael from being a vampire is to kill the head vampire.

But who is the head vampire? Is it David (Kiefer Sutherland), the leader of the Lost Boys...or is it Max (Edward Herrmann), Sam's mom's new love interest...or is it someone else? They need to find out soon before Michael becomes a total vampire.

A different take on vampire films, and seemingly the prototype for modern teenage-vampire movies and shows, "The Lost Boys" delivers in the thrills, chills and laughter, and is a romping good movie to see!

One of the few fun loving Vampire films!

Author: Steven Griffin from United Kingdom, Stevenage
14 June 2008

The Lost Boys is one of the VERY FEW fun loving vampire films, its a movie that nearly the whole family can enjoy (despite it being rated a 15).

its a great cute little horror film, its not as soft as "The Little Vampire" but it has a lot of cheeky funny moments that sometimes makes you feel like your watching a great Disney movie. ultimately its another great addition to the cult classics and a fine addition to the vampire department.

Jason Patrick does a fantastic job of playing the older teenager son, who is struggling to deal with the fact that he's turning into a vampire. And Kiefer Sutherland also does a great job playing the creepy vampire leader of the lost boys. generally the cast here was well picked and all play their role the way it was intended and slightly beyond.

The Lost Boys has a fantastic cute little story line that doesn't make you feel left out or confused its quite basic to follow. however a warning to parents, The Lost boys does have a few strong violent scenes but these hardly last very long and there are only a few.

Many of you will have watched this from your childhood or teenage years and by now you either love it or not, however if you haven't seen this film and are into vampire films and don't mind fun plots in horror films then you should defiantly give this film a look.

I'll give this film 8/10 it has a fine cast a GREAT soundtrack, and has a fun adventure like plot.

Corey Feldman: Vampire Killer Expert!

Author: Adam Kane from Canada
20 March 2008

I have to admit I had only seen a short chunk of this movie when I was in Film School. I just finished watching my super scratched up BlockBuster rental. It was ghetto, I played the movie full screen and then it skipped when they kill the head vampire. So I flipped it over and finished it on wide screen. Awesome film. Great music, I love the theme track throughout Lost Boys. Good story. Cory Feldman and a movie from the 80's everyone should watch if you love that time period like myself. Keiffer Sutherland plays a great bad guy like in Stand By Me which I recommend if you like this film as it has Keiffer, River Phoenix, and Corey Feldman. This movie also had a little bit of cheese appeal. I love the old Grandpa, he's too funny.

A fun ride!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
14 February 2008

Great movie, great cast, great story. "The Lost Boys" is an adventure I can go for. After moving to the West Coast. Starting over is a big step. Two brothers Michael(Jason Patric) and Sam(Corey Haim) start making some new friends there. Some of them ending being cool Edgar Frog(Corey Feldman) and his brother Alan(Jamison Newlander), and there are those who are only night owls lead by David(Kiefer Sutherland) and his crew. However, they are worse than night owls, they're vampires! They suck Michael in to their group, they fly at night, they do kill those surf Nazis. But their lifestyle is not for Michael. It's up to Sam and his friends to stop those fiends. Since their mother(Dianne Wiest) is useless to them in the beginning since she's seeing Max(Edward Herrmann) who the boys suspect as a bloodsucker too. They spike the Parmesean cheese with some garlic(Better yet, I bet it was just plain garlic itself). Give him a glass of holy water. The vampire killing scenes are just plain fantastic. The kill one during his resting period. The put one in a tub filling with holy water and garlic. One was "death by stereo", and Michael and David met face-to-face. Only to find out that Max was the head vampire. Plenty of horror, plenty of comedy, this movie was fun! 3 out of 5 stars!

The Lost Boys

Author: sblair80 from United States
21 January 2008

The Lost Boys offers what is considered on of the best twist on the modern vampire and is to be in the company of Fright Night and Near Dark of the 1980's. Schumacher gives us the famous "Cory" duo for the first time in film, and Kiffer Sutherlands first major role as the leader of the Vampire gang. To accompany this, there is good acting across the board through great direction and writing. The gore is fun and the comic timing of The Lost Boys has contributed to some of the best one-liners to come out of 80's pop culture. By far a worthy classic amongst the Vampire genre and not to be missed even by some of the most jaded of movie critics. A borderline 8 star held back slightly to a 7 because it is a product of its time and can be dated. However it's very re-watchable.

"The Lost Boys" is one of the best 80's flicks.

Author: edwardjamessmith from France
4 January 2008

Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire. That's a very good tagline for this kind of flick. "The Lost Boys" (1987) is one of my favourite 80's flicks along with: -Platoon (1986) -Scarface (1983) -Thief (1981) -To Live and Die in L.A. (1985) -The Goonies (1985) -Cocktail (1988) -Die Hard (1988) -Raw Deal (1986) -Ghostbusters (1984) -Black Rain (1989) -Rumble Fish (1983) -Trading Places (1983) -The Blues Brothers (1980) -Blow Out (1981) -Maximum Overdrive (1986) -Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981) -Blue Velvet (1986) -The Shining (1980) -Aliens (1986)

The 80's is probably one of the best decades for movies and a lot the films I love are from the 70's and the 80's. "The Lost Boys" boasts great actors: Kiefer Sutherland (Stand By Me, Young Guns, Flatliners, 24), Jason Patric, Alex Winter (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure). It's got great music, style and a comic twist on the horror genre. A definite film to watch. 10/10

Beer, blood and bubbles

Author: buonanotte from United Kingdom
3 January 2008

I'm currently screening many films in this period and I think "The lost boys" deserves a special mention because it made me reflect (once more) on the American ability to build up such reliable screenplays. Joel Schumacher made a great job handling a story that involves stuff like: monsters, flying people, gore and motorcycle accidents. I think that when you have to set up this kind of scenes you really need a script that "holds you tight". The characters of "The lost boys" are edgy and well designed. You see one of them, you listen to what he says and you feel like... Uh, this guy's got something to hide! And until the very last line, there's something that you wish to know. Why is granpa so keen to alcohol? He grabs a beer from his personal shelf of the fridge (It is his own fridge, but he has his specifically own shelf!) and he has the first sip straight away. He opens the fridge, he grabs and opens the bottle, he sips and finally closes the fridge. He's pretty much of a weird fella but he's got a wise side and you would never call him an alcoholic in his sixties. If you think about other movies ("Frida", "Mysterious skin", "A bigger splash") you feel just astonished from their visual beauty and you enjoy them because it just carries you away. "The lost boys" may not carry you away, but takes you to the end warm and excited. And that's all we ask from a movie about vampires.

A childhood gem

Author: siderite from Romania
4 August 2007

This movie was something I have seen on an old VHS when I was a kid. I loved it, but for some reason I could only remember that it was with vampires, Keifer Sutherland and the song (Strange, by the Doors, great song). Actually, I best remembered the song.

So I have been searching for it, without really looking, until I've decided to ... ahem... really look, and saw it again. It certainly did not have the same effect as it had in my childhood, but it was nice nonetheless.

First, to the people that said this is one big commercial: you are right. It is all about music, youth and corruption. Watch MTV, enjoy the "young rebel" fashion that is supported by all major labels, buy the tape, but don't get too corrupted, we need you to work when you grow up. But it is also one of the best vampire movies of all time.

The plot is about a gang of vampires, enjoying their night life and total freedom, but after all, they were "made", one head vampire was at fault, and the idea is rendered beautifully by the death of Kiefer's character. With all his vampirism gone, he is just one dead young kid.

If you have the time to reminisce over the gone golden era of the 80's, where people still remembered the 60's ("I was this close to being called Moon Child or Moon Beam") and still enjoyed moderate freedom.

"How far you willing to go, Michael? . . . "

Author: icfarm from United States
11 July 2007

My first impression watching this as a teenage girl? Eye-candy overload! Let's face it, the Lost Boys themselves (along with their almost-recruit, Jason Patric) have got to be one of the best-looking groups of young men ever brought together for one film! And Keifer Sutherland? He looks sexy in a MULLET! Enough said.

On further viewing, this one has come to be my OTHER favorite Schumacher film, beside POTO. The camera work, music, costumes, sets . . . as the Phantom himself would say, "Bravissima"! And the performances are superb, including those from some very young (at the time) actors. My favorites? The entrance of the Lost Boys on the carousel in the opening and the campfire massacre. Mr. Schumacher saved the vamp/gore effects for this moment, but when it came, did he ever deliver! As indicated above, I am a child/teenager of the eighties, but I grew into a thirty-five-year old woman who still adores this movie. Cheers.