IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 32: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Youth is at stake.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
16 July 2009

It's always hard moving to a new town where you're a teenager. It gets even harder when you end up in Santa Carla, a small coastal town that has a problem with . . . . . . vampires.

Corey Haim and Jason Patric play the two sons (Sam and Michael, respectively) of Dianne Wiest. Sam is a youngster trying to make new friends in town while not coming across as uncool while Michael ends up meeting a beautiful girl (played by Jami Gertz) and going up against some local biker boys, led by David (Kiefer Sutherland). Antagonism becomes grudging respect becomes camaraderie as Michael finds himself slipping under the influence of the local vampire posse before he even realises the awful truth. Fortunately, Sam is being made aware of the situation by the local oddballs known as The Frog Brothers (played brilliantly by Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander). As Michael battles against his developing "condition" and things become more dangerous for everyone close to them, the brothers and The Frog Brothers prepare to battle their fanged enemies.

This movie is a marvellously entertaining vampire flick that keeps lads and horror fans hooked with some decent scare moments and blood-drenched death scenes while female audience members seem to have been drawn in by the attractive male leads and a soundtrack that contains a great mix of fun rock and haunting melodies. Some people may roll their eyes at the thought of a glossy Joel Shumacher vampire movie but, what the hell, it's fun and for many people it remains right up there with the best vampire movies made in modern times. Personally, as I have grown up and changed my tastes slightly, I now find myself preferring many other movies, including the likes of "Near Dark" which was released the same year and sadly overlooked at the time, but I cannot deny that whenever The Lost Boys is on and I end up discovering it during a bout of channel-hopping I will end up watching most of it.

There are many things to pick at, many things far too easy to focus on that you can claim drag down the whole film, but the highlights just about outweigh these things. The whole feeling of fun and exuberance mixed with the frights, the fantastic soundtrack, the witty script that includes such enjoyable simplicities as "death by stereo" and some superb aerial camera-work that really takes you up there with the group as they scour for victims. Throw in some 80s nostalgia for those of my generation and you have a fine, fine film.

See this if you like: Vamp, Bordello Of Blood, Fright Night.

One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires.

Author: lastliberal from United States
9 July 2009

The very first thing you notice about this film is the richness of the color. It was a beautiful film to watch.

It had a lot of great actors, and one very hot one.

Michael (Jason Patric) and his brother Sam (Corey Haim) move to Santa Clara with their mother (Dianne Wiest) after her divorce.

Michael is immediately attracted to Star (Jami Gertz), and is soon involved with her friends led by David (Kiefer Sutherland). He is willing to try anything to be close to Star.

Meanwhile Sam is reading Vampire comics given to him by two strange boys (Corey Feldman & Jamison Newlander). They come in handy when he finds his own brother has turned.

There wasn't any real vampire action, and the ending was pretty predictable, as was the identity of the head vampire. But, that still didn't take away from a fine performance by Corey Haim, and a dominating performance by Kiefer Sutherland.

Classic!

Author: CountVladDracula from United States
15 May 2009

This is a horror film classic with a great rock soundtrack. For me I watch this film every summer and it's a sign that summer is here. This is a true classic. There are few films quite so fun. I love the song Lost in the Shadows and I love the acting in this. I also love the subtle nods to both Jim Morrison and to vampire literature great, Anne Rice. I wish they would make more horror films like this. Lost Boys: The Tribe was a huge disappointment in comparison. It seems a shame when quality films are saddled with poor sequels. The Lost Boys has a fantastic soundtrack. It was quirky and fun. Lost boys is a cult classic that any fan of horror, comedy and or eighties rock would enjoy.

Flys by like a vampire in the sky

Author: Samiam3 from Canada
7 May 2009

The best non-cinematic term to address The Lost Boys would be to call it a sugar rush. It provides an exiting burst of energy, but one that does not last long, and the ending does not feel as good as the rest of the experience. The Lost Boys has a breezy sense of fun, a great sense of humor, and a very funky look, but it all goes by a little too quickly for us to enjoy it to the full. At best, it's fairly entertaining.

The story is well constructed at the beginning. Some films take fifteen to twenty minutes to set up a premise, The Lost Boys accomplishes this before the opening credits end. We are informed of the time and place, we know who the protagonists are, and we sort of know who the antagonists are.

Michael and Sam are moving to Santa Carla to live with their grandfather, following their mother's divorce. One night on the boardwalk, Michael hangs out with the wrong group of people, and the next morning he is a vampire. This pretty much summarizes the first act. From here on the story loses its rhythmic pacing and moves into adrenaline mode. Sam with the help of two new friends seeks to destroy the head vampire and save his older brother. Lost Boys gets silly, but it winks at its own sense of idiocy, and never gets too nasty, or violent or gory.

I think the movie provides a good blend of material for the horror fans, but it needs a little more.

Oh dear! Why am i still laughing?

Author: Xanthe Young from United Kingdom
27 November 2008

The mise-en-scene was a bit dodgy, going from great to disappointing, the music was the usual 80s irritating nonsense, the costumes were just about satisfactory and the acting was average but my god that film was funny! I'm afraid for all those faults it's still a fairly average film and i can't really give it more than a 6 but i still love it! Black comedy at it's best! 'Isn't it bad luck for the guest to see the food before the meal?' why do i find that so funny? It's one of those jokes that really REALLY shouldn't be but i was rolling around on the carpet in fits of laughter just the same.

'I wish grandpa would stop giving me these stupid thing!' I could barely hear him say the line but there i was again on the carpet doubling the laughter when i saw the little boy open a cupboard and reveal an enormous pile of stuffed animals! And the ending, oh the ending was the best of all, i won't spoil it for you, please just watch it! If you watch it with an open mind and allow for the crude jokes i think you're going to enjoy it! I have to go and watch that again!

Campy Fun

Author: KillerK1991 from United States
19 November 2008

This movie, along with From Dusk 'Till Dawn(A film I still haven't seen), has alluded me for quite some time. I just never got around to seeing it until now, though that can be said about many other films. From what I've seen, Vampire flicks are either really good or really bad, very few fall in between unlike slasher and zombie flicks. This teen romp is the former, as for all of it's visible faults, it is still one of the best vampire movies I've seen. It surprisingly feels modern and up to date despite some 80's stylings. The cinematography is superb in that it really proves that Schumacher did some work on location. There's definitely a reason why I've heard (from rumors) that this film is shoved down the local residents throats by being played in theaters at all times. The soundtrack is good, but I though the angelic chanting of the main theme grew very tedious towards the end. The acting for what it's worth, is pretty good. The cheesy lines are delivered well with a few exceptions mainly on the younger cast members accounts, but that's expected. Kudos to Keifer Sutherland for avoiding this despite having what could have been the cheesiest deliveries and a mega-mullet to boot. The plot is simple and executed well- the characters for the most part act as realistically as they can for their situation and avoid doing anything completely stupid. I felt the film could've been a tad longer, there just didn't seem to be too much vampire action or character development(besides Jason Patric) by the time the final confrontation happened, though that's probably for the best, as most of Shumacher's movies seem a little too long anyway. Those who haven't seen it should check it out, it's by no means scary(Neither does it intend to be), but it is definitely worth a view.

Might grab you, might lose you, depends

Author: gcd70 from Melbourne, Australia
27 August 2008

Well executed, clever idea, from writers Janice Fischer, James Jeremias and additional screenwriter Jeffrey Boam, that really never grabbed me personally. It may just blow you away however, depending on your taste.

Simply put, this is a modernisation of the age-old vampire story, though perhaps 'vampires done for generation X' might be more accurate.

Joel Schumacher has taken the whole package and presented it glamorously, with every element done (some over done) to a nicety. Glitzy, slick and under 90 minutes, Schumacher knew how to sell an entertainment like this to a youthful audience. Even a rock soundtrack is shrewdly thrown in (it's a good one too). Director of Photography Michael Chapman captures the action with flare and panache.

Finally, the cast make it all work. Kiefer Sutherland is perfect as the sinister band leader, David. Jason Patric's central role, that of the confused Michael, is well played and good support comes from Corey Haim (no great actor but suitable) as his amazing little bro' and Barard Hughes as their reclusive, crazy granpa. Jami Gertz peps things up as Starr, the girl who led Michael into David's trap, and Corey Feldman drops by as a vampire eliminator (lame but necessary). Admittedly Dianne Wiest's enormous talent is wasted somewhat.

Certainly I can recognise that this was a smart, well produced flick, just not to my taste.

Friday, February 20, 1998 - Video

Cool, slick, wicked, and stylish vampire flick that rocked the 80's!

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
17 August 2008

"The Lost Boys" is without a doubt one of the best vampire films ever made. Simply for the way it was presented in a cool and hip kind of way it's hard core and Gothic gory involving teenagers captured the late 80's just fine. And the star power and music of the film carried it to blood thirsty success. A family a mother(Diane Wiest)and her two teenage sons(Corey Haim and Jason Patric) move to an oceanside coast city in California to live with her father(Barnard Hughes). Only from the start the family sees and finds that this town is unlike any other it's just wickedly strange! Kiefer Sutherland who plays heavies so well is timely wicked and cruel as the leader of a cult vampire crew that causes havoc upon the town. And you find with this vampire classic that it's not camp or cartoon like as it's more fun with stylish gore and exciting drama, the feel good fun is even more enjoyable with Corey Feldman entering as a young vampire hunter! Plus you don't have to worry about any unreal special effects as the scenes and action of this film are straight up. Really probably maybe the best vampire film ever made it has such good drama and the acting from the stars are tremendous a treat seeing the work of Haim and Feldman plus Sutherland is wickedly raw and the films music all make for a hip and cool stylish cult classic.

A Supreme Fantasy-Horror, With Forgivable Flaws...

Author: jeffronthi from Commerce Township, MI
12 August 2008

This set off the careers of much fine talent, no need to recite them here. I will just say this: Joel Shumacher can take anything and turn it into a force. I say this because Lost Boys was intended as a children's fantasy flick. If you pay attention, this film could have gone very badly on some of the writing alone. Not that it was badly written, it's just, even by 80's standards, very clichéd in spots. And with the wrong talent, this would have been so-so at best. On to the talent:

Haim turns in a fantastic performance. He just pops with personality and really shines in his role as the pseudo-cool outcast...too bad this is one of his last greats. Get this if you want him in A-form.

Feldman, ever the over-actor, is still believable (and unforgettable) because of the age of his character. We're all pretentious as kids, you know. That's why child actors don't always grow up to be fine actors. People lose favor with their imaginations.

If you want to see the Corey's shine, this is the film.

Jason Patric is great in this film. Great, great, performer he turned out to be. He almost rejected this roll because he thought it was going to be an exploitation film about kids. So, even at 18, this dude had his sh**t together.

Sutherland is magnetic, in possibly his best roll ever. Disagree if you want, but he owned this film with authority and has never fully duplicated or come close. Even so, I like him. He was awesome in Freeway.

The entire of "tribe" of vamps had a seedy, brooding, vibe.

Dianne Weist was INCREDIBLE as the paternal, on her own, starting over, single mother. She just pops with sincerity. I have seen her in many rolls and this is one of her better moments, though she has had many.

Grampa is freakin' awesome. Enough said.

Jamie Gertz turns in a terrific performance that bests that movie she did with Ralph Machio. No, seriously, that girl is hot.

Joel is very good at atmosphere and vibe. And that is what this movie succeeds at most, aside form the great performances.

Recommended.

The definitive teen horror of the '80s.

Author: Anthony Pittore III (Shattered_Wake) from Los Angeles, CA
12 August 2008

Corey Haim and Jason Patric star as a pair of brothers new to the fictional California beach town of Santa Carla, 'the murder capital of the world.' There, they're split between two worlds: Sam (Haim) is drawn to the world of Vampire hunters (along with Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander); Mike (Patric) is invited directly into the world of the vampires themselves (including Kiefer Sutherland, Alex Winter, and Jami Gertz). Together, they find themselves mixed up in the wild world of the Santa Carla Living Dead.

This was the beginning for The Two Coreys. Both had worked together previously, but none had reached the level of stardom (and friendship) that they achieved in this film. It has long been my favourite vampire movie and my favourite 80s flick. And, after all these years, that hasn't changed. The Lost Boys stands alongside Scream, Friday the 13th, etc. as one of the best teen horrors of all time. It's simultaneously thrilling and hilarious, and contains some of the best scares of the films of its kind. The acting is top-notch from a great and up-and-coming cast. Schumacher's direction worked well with the story. Everything worked. However, I do have a take a little bit off for the strange and out-of-place ending that I was never a big fan of. But, it wasn't enough to come close to ruining the film for me.

Final verdict: 8/10.