IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 33: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Answers

Author: (otto_schitburger@yahoo.com) from Düssledork
24 September 2011

Nice, racy, intelligent, a good comedy about high school, its rules and the lanes of alienation. The charm of Jason Patric is axis of movie and, behind the clothes of humor are pieces of great problem of loneliness A movie about the beauty of life, searches and discoveries, delicate and powerful, with a great Robert Downey in the role of principal.

A film like a travel. Maps and ways, symbols and guides and the tent. A boy and the world as puzzle. His puzzle in which the atmosphere of house creates fragile solutions of problems who makes the soul of an age and the self respect of a teenager. Almost a comedy. In fact, a medicine with the taste of sweet spring fruits. Must see! For the nostalgic pages of a time precious for everyone.

Being Dated Only Adds to the Charm

Author: illbeoneasystreet from Canada
11 September 2011

The Lost Boys screams eighties, but that is part of the reason it is so much fun. And you don't have to have grown up in the eighties to enjoy it. Is it campy? Absolutely, but a mixture of well used horror tactics, iconic lines that you will never forget, and a well rounded cast make it great. The true star of this movie is Kiefer Sutherland who delivers an astounding performance with mullet in tow. Jason Patric gives a suitable enough performance, although pales in the blinding light of Sutherland's character. Corey Haim is absolutely adorable in this and shows that although he might not be the greatest actor has more then enough talent and charm to worm his way into your heart. (Too bad he never got his comeback I personally believe the man could have gone places.) Feldman and Newlander provide comic relief as the Frogg brothers but I must admit that they get a little annoying after multiple viewings in my case anyways others might disagree. Add on top of that astounding performances from the casts veterans and you have a great movie.

Review! Plus my little obsession with The Lost Boys.

Author: abidabidooo
13 August 2011

Wow! What an excellent film! This is definitely one of my favourite films, even though it is quite old. I watched this film when I was really young (I even have it on video which proves how ancient it is haha). I bought it on DVD years & years ago because I love watching it. Its usually on the TV so I grab the opportunity and watch it, it never gets old. So if you haven't watched this brilliant movie then please do.

Two boys and their mother move into a new town in California called Santa Carla (also known as the murder capital of the world) to live with their Grandpa after their parents divorce. The brothers soon start to discover that the loud, crowded town is swarming with blood sucking, brutal killers: Vampires! Michael, the elder brother, chases after a gorgeous girl called Star, who has recently become a vampire as well her son. Michael accidentally mixes into the vamp group, oblivious to what they are. David, the rebellious, dangerous vampire in the group, tricks Michael into drinking his vampire infested blood and he becomes partly one of them. He later realises that until you make your first kill, then you are only a half vampire. To become normal again, they have to kill the head vampire, which seems simple enough.. but they don't know who it is! Meanwhile, their mother starts working in a comic book store where she soon falls in love and starts dating the owner. He seems quite charming and lovely enough but the sons do not seem to grow a liking to him. The Frogs, who work in this comic shop, are two strange but hilarious brothers who completely hate vampires! They try to convince Sam, the youngest brother, that vampires exist by showing proof and giving him vamp comics. Sam finally believes that vampires are real and starts to help his brother become cured, although he is scared he will have to kill him.

Ladies and gentlemen you will have to watch the film to find out the big but kind of obvious twist what happens. Trust me, this is a fantastic film (although it wasn't that scary for me, so if you are looking for a real bloody, gruesome, terrifying film then this is not for you). It is just classic film which is a must see as the acting and everything is just amazing. Please, give it a try :) Enjoy! I gave it a 10/10 - (I cant believe it only has 7/10 as it deserves more).

Vampires done the right way in this '80s cult classic

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
6 June 2011

Living in the modern era of overdone vampire stories, "The Lost Boys" makes for a worthy retro antidote. With films and TV shows full of characters who simply are vampires these days, "Lost Boys" reminds us how part of the allure of the vampire is the mystery and suspense created by not exactly knowing if someone is a vampire or even better — suspecting it.

Although it doesn't take long to realize who the vampires are in "The Lost Boys," it doesn't make their reveal any less effective. The '80s hair biker gang led by Kiefer Sutherland as David has the trappings of an iconic cinema cult of renegades who revel in their immortality. The story holds out on reviewing their true form long enough for us to take them seriously.

Brothers and main characters Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim) serve as perfect entry points into this vampire-infested world of small-town California. After their mom (Dianne Wiest) forces them to move in with their grandfather, Michael and Sam each uncover strange things in their new town. After chasing a girl (Jami Gertz), Michael gets caught up in this mysterious gang and finds himself avoiding sunlight among other things. When Sam takes notice, he enlists the help of the Frog brothers (Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander), two comic book geeks who moonlight as vampire killers.

"The Lost Boys" bathes in '80s film cheese. There's boy-sees-girl-across-the-room romance, a comic book store, a carnival, gangs ... the list goes on. The film epitomizes that decade in movies, which either makes it corny or classic. I would argue that as the plot thickens, it moves from the former to the latter.

The key to the film's effectiveness is the slow unveiling of the vampires. The scene in the tree where they show Michael what he has become by turning into their vampire forms and attacking their pray has a massive impact. Although we never see the transformations in process thanks to budget issues most likely, the colored contacts, make up and Joel Schumacher's approach are enough to freak you out in all the right ways. The cumulative amount of blood and guts at the climax also adds that cult-classic horror camp that will put a stupid grin on the face of any of the genre's fans.

Horror elements and vampires aside, "The Lost Boys" is 100 percent '80s through and through with themes of broken families, fitting in and losers saving the day. It undoubtedly inspired some of the films of the early '90s as well. In that sense, it's not just a fun film, but an important one.

~Steven C

Visit my site at http://moviemusereviews.com

"Death By Stereo"

Author: ferbs54 from United States
25 April 2011

A Gen X'er work buddy of mine was shocked when he recently learned that I--a baby-boomer horror buff--had never seen the 1987 scare film "The Lost Boys." Already a cult item of sorts for those of a certain age, the film is one that had somehow slipped by me for the last 24 years...until last night, that is. And now that I've seen the picture, I can honestly say that it strikes me as a somewhat dated albeit undeniably fun outing that is regrettably deficient in the Shocks, Scares and Horror Department; still, I can understand its appeal for those who were of an impressionable age during those nascent days of MTV. In the film, we meet the Emerson brothers, Michael (the older, played by hunky Jason Patric) and Sam (an extremely endearing performance by the late Corey Haim), who move to "The Murder Capital of the World," Santa Carla, CA, with their divorced mom (the ever-cute and always dependable Dianne Wiest). Before long, Michael gets involved with a bad-boy biker gang that is actually composed of bloodsucking vampires and led by a peroxide-dyed Kiefer Sutherland, all to impress the lovely Star (Jami Gertz), and Sam realizes that his older bro is slowly turning into a creature of the night himself. Good thing that the managers of the local comic book store, the Frog brothers (some very funny van Helsing renditions here by Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander), are well practiced in the art of vampire extermination....

An ingratiating mixture of style, comedy and scares, served in fairly equal thirds, "The Lost Boys" is certainly a nice-looking and perfectly entertaining film. Director Joel Schumacher has given his picture a polished look that at times strongly resembles an early MTV music video, never more so than in the lovemaking scene between Michael and Star, with those soaring-in-the-clouds visuals. (Indeed, Sam even comments on his need for MTV in one scene; almost as dated a reference as his comment regarding "Dynasty" a little later!) The picture features a terrific soundtrack (very cool to hear Echo and the Bunnymen essaying The Doors classic "People Are Strange") and makes inspired use of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk for many of its action sequences. Still, as a horror film, the picture is fairly tame...until its final 20 minutes or so, however, when we are treated to some pretty impressive zombie slayings, courtesy of our brave young heroes and their garlic-infused holy-water pistols. In a film with much to admire, though, perhaps the single best element is that wonderful cast of future stars on the rise. And how fun to see Edward Herrmann, a good 13 years or so pre-"Gilmore Girls," here playing a very different sort of paterfamilias! In all, fun stuff for all ages, although some aging baby boomers may wonder what all the fuss is about, as they seek out a vampire movie with a bit less teen angst and a bit more bite....

love, friendship and freedom

Author: Chookas_monokas from Australia
13 March 2011

The Lost Boys is a horror film that knows how to use special effects to their advantage. This movie is about a family of 3, Michael and Sam who are brothers and Lucy who is the mother, which has jut moved in to a vampire-infested city where deaths and missing people are a common occurrence.

Take away the vampires in this movie away and its all about peer pressure, Michael trying to prove himself, trying to prove he is tougher and stronger than he really looks. Unfortunately in doing this he falls down a path that he doesn't desire to be along but his brother Sam's love helps him stay grounded. This movie has it all it has great acting, a costume designer who knows how to demonstrate ones character, cinematography that actually makes sense and excellent mise en scene to express how truly bloodcurdling these creatures are. Michael starts to fall in love with a half vampire called Star, this is how it all started. When Michael drank David's blood he too turned into a half vampire, the only thing saving Michael from transforming into a full blooded vampire is the unconditional love from his true family and his grandfathers hobby of hunting animals and displaying them on his wall.

Campy, scary and funny vampire movie...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
2 September 2010

1st watched 8/31/2010 -- 8 out of 10 (Dir-Joel Schumacher): Campy, scary and funny vampire movie that I consider a classic in the genre. Joel Schumacher, who is one of my favorite directors, blends so many things into one movie and makes it entertaining as well. The story is about a newly divorced mother and her two children moving into a new town(dubbed 'murder capital of the world' on back of a billboard) and in with her demented father. The eerie element is introduced in the first scene as Kiefer Sutherland and his boys invade a local carnival and then a death occurs. The older son, played by Jason Patric, is enticed by a woman, who appears to be part of this group, and then unknowingly is initiated into it by drinking the blood of the leader. He first, though, has to have his own first kill to truly become one of them, and his younger son, played by Corey Haim, along with a goofy couple of brothers, try to stop this from happening. These brothers try to hunt down and kill the lead vampire, which is supposed to reverse the curse. The movie is filled with hilarious one-liners which shows me that it's not taking itself too seriously and makes the movie better. It also has wonderfully atmospheric scary shots with a little over-the-top violence in the last half hour. The humor, though, wins out and makes this movie a classic that shouldn't be missed.

Maggots, Michael. You're eating maggots. How do they taste?

Author: from United States
22 June 2010

*May Contain Spoilers* Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Being only fifteen, many people my age aren't aware of "The Lost Boys" or any other movie from that era. So, if you are a fifteen year old kid sitting at home with nothing to do, thinking "I want to watch a vampire movie", chuck "Twilight" out the window along with all your preconceived notions of any movie made before 2005, and be ready to be sucked into the world of "The Lost Boys".

"The Lost Boys" centers around Michael(Jason Patric), a young man who just moved to Santa Carla(Whose welcoming sign has "Murder Capital Of The World" inscribed on it's back in blood red paint, I may add) with his newly divorced mother Lucy(Dianne Wiest) and his younger brother Sam(Corey Haim). Lucy, reluctant to force a "huge legal battle" upon herself and her boys, is flat broke and moves in with her eccentric and, for lack of a better word, silly father(Barnard Hughes).

That night, Sam and Michael go to the town boardwalk where they see a concert (because what movie is complete without a greased up muscle man playing the saxophone?) where Michael spots Star (Jami Gertz). He becomes infatuated with her and starts to go after her. (Not in the creepy stalker way, but the whole 'I just want to talk to her' way). Michael soon catches up with the girl, but is too late as he sees her on the back of David's (Kiefer Sutherland)'s motorcycle. The next night, the same thing happens, but this time David seems interested. He challenges Michael to a race. Michael, skeptical of his chances against David's expensive bike, says "I can't beat your bike." David then says "You don't have to beat me, Michael. You just have to try to keep up." They race, and David easily beats Michael, with the help of his friends Dwayne (Billy Wirth), Paul (Brook McCarter) and Marco (Alex Winter). Michael gets angry, and physically pushes David, shouting "Just you, man! Just you!" David then says "How far you willing to go, Michael?" David then takes Michael back to his lair, and after a few mind games, has him drink from a bottle of wine. However, it wasn't wine he was drinking. Star warned him that it was blood, but he didn't believe her. He drank. Soon, he started to experience strange symptoms, such as sleeping all day, longer fingernails, and irritability. He thinks nothing of it until he has a strange craving for his brother's blood, and is attacked by Sam's dog Nanook. When he sees his reflection in the mirror, he is translucent. Sam, at first is afraid and is convinced that Michael is trying to kill him, but soon realizes that Michael is as much in the dark as he is. He agrees to help, and enlists the help of the Frog brothers (Corey Feldman & Jamison Newlander), two 15-year-old self proclaimed Vampire Hunters. Michael learns that he is only a half vampire until he makes his first kill, and to be turned back to normal, the head vampire has to die. So, Michael must fight his rapid transision into a creature of the night while he tries to kill the one who turned him.

This is an amazing movie. It truly is. Jason Patric is a very good eye-candy type lead role; Corey Haim, Corey Feldman, and Jamison Newlander are hilarious. But, I must say, this film is carried by the performance of Kiefer Sutherland. He truly brought his character to life and made this movie what it is.

"The Lost Boys" is a different kid a vampire movie. It truly set the standards for vampire movies to come. What I like most about it is the fact that isn't too serious. It is a very youthful, and, quite frankly, a funny movie. 5 stars!

The ultimate vampire movie!

Author: roisin from Ireland
2 May 2010

This is just my most favorite movie ever!Its scary ,funny and has lots of action.What I like about this movie so much is that the vampires are scary,eat people and do not sparkle in the sun like they do in twilight(ugh).Some say people like for nostalgia but their wrong.I'm 15 and I love it!Corey Haim is such a sweetheart in this movie and I love the Frog Brothers .They're so funny and I love Corey Feldman as Edgar Frog he's hot!So was Kiefer Sutherland!I ADORE the song Cry Little Sister, I think it really suits the movie,I really want the soundtrack ,cant find it any where.I have this on DVD and watch it every week.Its a classic!Watch it once and you'll watch it all the time ,its that good!It'll never get old,it'll always be funny. 10/10

A Campy Attempt At Vampire Fun

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
7 April 2010

There are basically two distinct (but related) stories in one going on in "The Lost Boys," which revolves around a family (mom Lucy and brothers Michael and Sam) who move to Santa Carla, California from Phoenix after mom's divorce. Santa Carla apparently has a reputation as the "murder capital of the world," and we soon find out why.

The first of the stories begins when Michael (Jason Patric) meets a local beauty named Star, who's tangled up with a local gang. This is the story with potential. The gang are actually a gang of "young" vampires, who set out to "recruit" Michael. I liked the idea of young vampires, which of course builds on the whole problem of gangs, and kids who don't fit in but want to fit in. The gang was pretty convincing, and Kiefer Sutherland especially was great as David, the apparent leader of the gang. Had this been developed as a straight horror-vampire movie about this roving gang of young vampires terrorizing the town and this family in particular it might have been a very effective horror movie. However, those who put the story together decided to introduce the second part of the story, which frankly didn't work as well.

In Santa Carla, a couple of even younger teens (led by Corey Feldman) know what's going on and fancy themselves as vampire hunters, their knowledge about the undead apparently having come out of vampire comic books. To save his brother, Sam (Corey Haim) hooks up with these guys, who use every cliché trick in the books (garlic, wooden stakes, holy water, sunlight) as they set out to destroy the creatures of the night. To me, this aspect of the story came across as silly, and every time the "horror" aspects of the gang started to become convincing, we got Feldman et. al. getting back into the picture and turning this into a vampire-hunting comedy. The final confrontation is overdone rather than climactic, and in the end Grandpa comes across as being as silly as the young vampire hunters.

To its credit, the movie surprised me with the final identification of the "head vampire," who has to be destroyed to release Michael. In the end, though, I wish this had stuck to horror and let go of the attempts to be a teen comedy at the same time.