IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Remember when vampires used to suck blood, not c**k?

Author: tpaladino from United States
15 January 2011

With all the horrible, horrible excuses for vampire movies in our pop culture these days, it's refreshing to revisit a top-notch example of the genre done oh-so-right.

The Lost Boys is an 80's masterpiece, with amazing performances by the entire cast. It shows that vampires were once modern and hip without being manufactured exclusively for thirteen year old girls. Sure, the Corey's were at the pinnacle of teen heartthrob status in 1987, but there is more than enough in the rest of the film to satisfy beyond that demographic. Kiefer Sutherland is possibly the coolest vampire ever on the silver screen, and the subject matter is appropriately dark without being overly disturbing or sacrificing moments of levity.

Really, it's a great film that's held up very well over the years. Although I doubt that the Twilight crowd would agree, but then again if they had any taste they wouldn't like Twilight in the first place.

The Brothers Frog

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
9 March 2008

In The Lost Boys Dianne Weist and her two sons are moving in with her father Barnard Hughes in the Pacific coastal town of Santa Clara. Some strange kids inhabit the place and when older son Jason Patric spots Jamie Gertz in a tight fitting blouse among them, the old raging hormones do take over. Kiefer Sutherland heads the gang and believe me they've got quite an initiation rite.

His older brother's strange behavior is concerning Corey Haim and the only people who share his concern are a couple of brothers named Frog, played by Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander. It's rumored that Santa Clara has been a haven for vampires for many years, but the only two who want to do anything about it are the brothers Frog. Until now.

The Lost Boys was one of the great Eighties Brat Pack movies, with a cast full of tongue in cheek performances. The Coreys, Haim and Feldman, were at the high points of their respective careers as teenage idols and they both show why they were. Best in the film however are Dianne Weist as their absolutely clueless mother and Edward Herrmann who employs her at his video store.

There's a sequel coming out 21 years after this film made its debut. I'm trying to picture Haim, Feldman, and Newlander fighting another crowd of teenage vampires.

Anyway you got to love a film with a pair of characters named Frog.

fabulous late-80s vampire fare....

Author: suburbannightmare from Leeds, England
3 November 2006

This film was made in 1987, and it still looks cool. Kiefer Sutherland sports a height-of-eighties-fashion bleach-blonde mullet and he still looks cool. It's a fabulous mix of vampire/teen/comedy/horror and nearly 20 years after it's release, it still remains a favourite amongst many movie fans, and this has to be one of the most popular vampire movies of all time. Every child of the eighties knows and loves it, and the plot rings true with anyone who's been roped into doing something slightly dodgy by some git who's cooler than you are.

The story centres on Michael Emerson. He, his mother and brother have recently moved to Santa Carla after his mother's divorce. With nothing to do until school starts, he spends his evenings mooching around the beachfront's boardwalk and eventually falls in with a motorcycle gang. Who just so happen to be vampires. Nothing unusual there, then. Egged on by the gang, Michael unwittingly drinks blood, which gradually transforms him into a vampire. Michael's brother enlists help from a pair of vampire hunting brothers to save Michael (and the rest of the town). The cast are superb – they're all pretty 80s youngsters, obviously employed because of their market value at the time, but decent actors nonetheless. Jason Patric is perfect as Michael, the gorgeous but gullible new kid in town, who falls for the beautiful Star and unknowingly, descends into vampirism to get closer to her. Kiefer Sutherland does a great turn as the ultra-cool, menacing (but seductively persuasive) leader-of-the-pack-vampire, David. The vampire gang are impossibly cool, the epitome of 80s fashion and teen attitude. Not to mention having cast Alex Winter as Marco - Bill S. Preston Esquire with fangs! Jami Gertz's Star is fittingly mysterious and evasive, but for me, the real stars of the show are the Frog brothers - teenage vampire hunters/comic bookstore owners, fighting the good fight for Justice, Truth, and The American Way. Michael's brother Sam enlists their help to put a stop to vampirism taking over his family (and, eventually, the town). With lines like "Kill your brother. You'll feel better" they're the best bit of comic relief in this movie. Corey Haim manages a good performance as Sam, Michael's younger brother and Diane Wiest is fab as their unsuspecting mother.

The entire film really looks good too. It's comically gory, lots of body parts exploding, stakings and burnings. And it contains some of the more 'realistic' vampire-esquire makeup effects – the vampires look like they really would like to tear your face off. Although the movie is nearly 20 years old, apart from certain elements of hairstyles and clothing, (like David's choice mullet and Star's exploding-poodle-style perm) it doesn't look that dated at all, and has a cracking 80s power ballad soundtrack. Set in Santa Carla's beachfront (so named to avoid associations between Santa Cruz and the film's gang-related themes.) it's full of carnival music, twinkling lights and sparkling nighttime beaches, which give it a slightly surreal atmosphere. Think what it'd be like living in Blackpool permanently. I think I'd turn to vampirism just for something to do. Of course there's always the token struggle between good and evil, from Michael's Mother nearly sucumbing to the charms of the head vampire, and Michael almost being shoved across the line into fully fledged vampirism, but it's all still very entertaining.

Slightly darker than a teen movie, but just as fun, this will remain a firmly beloved classic for at least another 20 years.

Gets better with every viewing.

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
25 June 2001

This movie came out when I was like six years old. Here is a brief little plot-summary:

Michael and Sam are two teenage brothers who are moving with their recently divorced mother to Sante Carlo, California to stay with their eccentric grandfather. It is clear from the get go that Sante Carlo is an anything but normal town. This is explained by shots of the people while a cover of the Doors' "People are Strange" plays over the opening credits. Within a few days, Michael has already found the wrong girl and hooked up with the wrong crowd. Pretty soon, he's hanging out (litteraly) all night and sleeping all day. Sam, being the comic freak that he is, knows that's something is up and finds assistance by a coupla dorks who claim to be vampire killers.

How would I describe this film? Entertaining. Pure and simple. It is the definitive "style over substance" flick and that is just fine by me. This movie is all about entertaining the viewer and nothing else. Over the last thirteen years, I have seen this movie probably about thirty times and it has yet to get old. It is also a great time capsule of the 80s. There is a highly polished look to the whole thing, the music is awesome, and the good looking cast doesn't hurt.

When you watch this today, you might find some things to be hilarious. For example, that singer on stage with the oiled biceps, playing the sax. Watch that scene with a few friends, and you might find that the laughter is highly contagious.

I would have to say that my favorite character would be the grandfather. He had the best one-liners in the movie and his prescence alone, kept me laughing. I also think that this is one of Corey Feldman's best movies. He didn't have a whole lot of screen time, but he did give a fun, convincing performance and it would be cool to reunite the two Coreys for a sequel.

If you are one of the few people who have yet to see this, you're missing out. This is what great horror flicks should be. Pure fun.

Growing up I watched this movie countless times.

Author: triple8 from Conn
2 April 2004

It didn't really stay with me but remains a movie I thought was wonderful growing up and were I to see it again I'd probebly enjoy it, though I doubt I'd go banannas over it like when I was a kid.

It's a nice fun young person vampire flick. I'm not a big fan of vampire movies but have seen a few-this is not a scary type movie, more a fun one of two boys who move to a small town on the west coast and get mixed up with a bunch of vampires. Best of all, this movie introduced me to Jason Patrick who's quite the talented actor. Many I know, became major fans of his, through this movie.

Lost boys is light, it's fun, pretty setting-decent acting-a gem for today's kids groing up who may not have seen it. I myself saw it so much as a kid I got horribly sick of it and vowed not to watch it again but I'll probebly see it once more in the future.

This movie is a must see for fans of vampire movies, it's no longer a favorite of mine at all, but a great movie for kids(actually all ages) and a fun quirky one-check it out if you haven't.

Notice anything unusual about Santa Carla yet?

Author: lojitsu
9 June 2017

A-Z Horror Movie of the Day..."The Lost Boys" (R - 1987 - US)

Sub-Genre: Monster/Vampire

My Score: 8.5

Cast=10 Acting=9 Plot=7 Ending=10 Story=9 Scare=8 Jump=6 F/X=9 Monster=10 Romance=7

A story of a mother and her two sons moving to a small coastal town. When the older brother starts behaving strangely, the younger finds out that people are more than just strange in this town.

"Notice anything unusual about Santa Carla yet?" I did...I noticed this movie is AWESOME!! This is easily one of my top 3 Vampire movies of all time...there has never been anything like it and I can't imagine it will ever happen again. The cast, acting, and story are great...what really sets it apart is the soundtrack. Very rarely does a soundtrack fit the movie as well as this. I may have to check your reflection in the mirror before I invite you in to watch it!!

Hits on all cylinders

Author: zender8584 from United States
1 June 2017

The late 80s brought a bit of a transition from pure teen slasher to more glitzy horror films featuring a prominent soundtrack, attractive actors and humor. The Lost Boys epitomizes this genre like no other.

Why does it work so well? For one, the premise, nicely summarized in the movie's tag line "sleep all day, party all night, never grow old, never die. It's fun to be a vampire" captures the desire in all of us, especially in our teen years, to resist moving on to adulthood. Obviously, the Peter Pan reference in the title is no mistake.

The movie is well acted, Southerland clearly has fun with the role and steals all his scenes. The two Coreys have great chemistry. It is perhaps helpful that they are teenagers during the filming rather than the common practice of casting 20-somethings to play high school kids. Jami Gertz is beautiful but not just a helpless damsel in distress. The adult supporting cast are all believable in their roles.

While it is unavoidable for the soundtrack to be dated, Echo and the Bunnymen's cover of the Doors "People are Strange" works so well in this movie, it is hard to listen to EITHER version of that song and not think about The Lost Boys. Simply put, the music just works to keep the story moving along. It adds to the coolness factor of being a vampire.

Though there is gore here, it is just enough to remind us this isn't a teen comedy. Nothing we haven't seen dozens of times by now, and for the most part done in moderation. Setting the movie in Santa Cruz (errr Santa Carla) also adds to the visual impact of the film. Things do get a bit disjointed in the climax, and predictable 'twist.' It still satisfies when you reach the payoff before the closing credits.

There is a lot to like here. The Lost Boys proves that you can make a movie about teenage vampires and make it fun to watch. Twilight I'm looking at YOU.

High point of The Coreys

Author: a_chinn
27 May 2017

"Michael, you're eating maggots." This film was a lot of fun back in the day and it still holds up pretty darn well. This film is a perfect example of a funhouse style of horror film that successfully balances humor and scares, a combination that rarely works. Corey Haim and his hunky older brother Jason Patrick move to Santa Carla, the murder capital of the world, with their mom Dianne Wiest to live with their colorful grandpa, Barnard Hughes. Out on the beach boardwalk, Patrick meets a pretty girl named Star, Jami Gertz, and runs afoul her leather jacketed biker friends, led by a memorable Kiefer Sutherland in his breakout film role, who turn out to be gang of vampires. Haim then teams up with Corey Feldman, one half of the vampire hunting Frog Brothers, to save his family. While the film certainly has a solid cast, which also includes Alex Winter and Edward Herrmann, I think a lot of the film's success goes to the folks behind the camera. Director Joel Schumacher brings a lot of fun visual razzle dazzles to the pictures without being distracting, greatly aided by Martin Scorsese's frequent director of photography, Michael Chapman, and production design by frequent Tim Burton collaborator Bo Welch. They all give the film a very "California" feel that felt unique for a vampire film and a slickness not see in prior vampire pictures. Thomas Newman also provides a fine score for the film, but another major reason for this film's iconic nature is it's memorable is the 80s soundtrack that features INXS, Echo and the Bunnymen, and the memorable theme song "Cry Little Sister." Credit is also due to film's clever and witty script. There are several credited writers, but the main writer was Jeffrey Boam, who sadly died young after a string of memorable films including the adaptations "Straight Time" and "The Dead Zone," original films like "Innerspace," "Lethal Weapon 2," and "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," and co-creator of the very funny short lived TV series "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr." Overall, this one is an iconic 80s horror film that has stood the test of time. Too bad it's legacy has been marred by crumby direct-to-video sequels years later when this film probably should have gotten a proper remake/reboot during the Twilight vampire craze.

One Of The Best Vampire Films Ever Made

Author: Rainey Dawn from United States
6 May 2017

A throwback to my teen years - The Lost Boys! I can't believe I'm just now getting around to reviewing this one - I thought I did already but, alas, I haven't lol.

What can I say about this film? Great music, a hot looking and great cast and it is a really good vampire story - well worth watching if you like vampire films. This one is labeled comedy and it has it's share of a few comical moments but it's mainly a darn good horror flick! Back in the 80s (when I was a teen) this was "the teen horror film" outside of "American Werewolf of London" or at least it was where I was growing up. I will confess that I still love this film all these years later.

Yeah watch this film if you love Vampire films - you can't go wrong.

New Jersey Shore 1980'S

Author: Movieman
9 April 2017

A classic cast in their prime, including the last glimpse of Corey Haims brilliant charisma. They all come together around Dianne Wiest, a vulnerable single mother raising two teenagers in a new town. Every actor has a cool chemistry, playing off one another as each scene builds up a great climax. Sadly the low budget soundtrack was a miss. Imagine Guns & Roses, KISS or even Def Leopard to signature the Vampires campfire, as they unleashed immortal death onto the shores of Jersey.