IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

fabulous late-80s vampire fare....

Author: suburbannightmare from Leeds, England
3 November 2006

This film was made in 1987, and it still looks cool. Kiefer Sutherland sports a height-of-eighties-fashion bleach-blonde mullet and he still looks cool. It's a fabulous mix of vampire/teen/comedy/horror and nearly 20 years after it's release, it still remains a favourite amongst many movie fans, and this has to be one of the most popular vampire movies of all time. Every child of the eighties knows and loves it, and the plot rings true with anyone who's been roped into doing something slightly dodgy by some git who's cooler than you are.

The story centres on Michael Emerson. He, his mother and brother have recently moved to Santa Carla after his mother's divorce. With nothing to do until school starts, he spends his evenings mooching around the beachfront's boardwalk and eventually falls in with a motorcycle gang. Who just so happen to be vampires. Nothing unusual there, then. Egged on by the gang, Michael unwittingly drinks blood, which gradually transforms him into a vampire. Michael's brother enlists help from a pair of vampire hunting brothers to save Michael (and the rest of the town). The cast are superb – they're all pretty 80s youngsters, obviously employed because of their market value at the time, but decent actors nonetheless. Jason Patric is perfect as Michael, the gorgeous but gullible new kid in town, who falls for the beautiful Star and unknowingly, descends into vampirism to get closer to her. Kiefer Sutherland does a great turn as the ultra-cool, menacing (but seductively persuasive) leader-of-the-pack-vampire, David. The vampire gang are impossibly cool, the epitome of 80s fashion and teen attitude. Not to mention having cast Alex Winter as Marco - Bill S. Preston Esquire with fangs! Jami Gertz's Star is fittingly mysterious and evasive, but for me, the real stars of the show are the Frog brothers - teenage vampire hunters/comic bookstore owners, fighting the good fight for Justice, Truth, and The American Way. Michael's brother Sam enlists their help to put a stop to vampirism taking over his family (and, eventually, the town). With lines like "Kill your brother. You'll feel better" they're the best bit of comic relief in this movie. Corey Haim manages a good performance as Sam, Michael's younger brother and Diane Wiest is fab as their unsuspecting mother.

The entire film really looks good too. It's comically gory, lots of body parts exploding, stakings and burnings. And it contains some of the more 'realistic' vampire-esquire makeup effects – the vampires look like they really would like to tear your face off. Although the movie is nearly 20 years old, apart from certain elements of hairstyles and clothing, (like David's choice mullet and Star's exploding-poodle-style perm) it doesn't look that dated at all, and has a cracking 80s power ballad soundtrack. Set in Santa Carla's beachfront (so named to avoid associations between Santa Cruz and the film's gang-related themes.) it's full of carnival music, twinkling lights and sparkling nighttime beaches, which give it a slightly surreal atmosphere. Think what it'd be like living in Blackpool permanently. I think I'd turn to vampirism just for something to do. Of course there's always the token struggle between good and evil, from Michael's Mother nearly sucumbing to the charms of the head vampire, and Michael almost being shoved across the line into fully fledged vampirism, but it's all still very entertaining.

Slightly darker than a teen movie, but just as fun, this will remain a firmly beloved classic for at least another 20 years.

Gets better with every viewing.

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
25 June 2001

This movie came out when I was like six years old. Here is a brief little plot-summary:

Michael and Sam are two teenage brothers who are moving with their recently divorced mother to Sante Carlo, California to stay with their eccentric grandfather. It is clear from the get go that Sante Carlo is an anything but normal town. This is explained by shots of the people while a cover of the Doors' "People are Strange" plays over the opening credits. Within a few days, Michael has already found the wrong girl and hooked up with the wrong crowd. Pretty soon, he's hanging out (litteraly) all night and sleeping all day. Sam, being the comic freak that he is, knows that's something is up and finds assistance by a coupla dorks who claim to be vampire killers.

How would I describe this film? Entertaining. Pure and simple. It is the definitive "style over substance" flick and that is just fine by me. This movie is all about entertaining the viewer and nothing else. Over the last thirteen years, I have seen this movie probably about thirty times and it has yet to get old. It is also a great time capsule of the 80s. There is a highly polished look to the whole thing, the music is awesome, and the good looking cast doesn't hurt.

When you watch this today, you might find some things to be hilarious. For example, that singer on stage with the oiled biceps, playing the sax. Watch that scene with a few friends, and you might find that the laughter is highly contagious.

I would have to say that my favorite character would be the grandfather. He had the best one-liners in the movie and his prescence alone, kept me laughing. I also think that this is one of Corey Feldman's best movies. He didn't have a whole lot of screen time, but he did give a fun, convincing performance and it would be cool to reunite the two Coreys for a sequel.

If you are one of the few people who have yet to see this, you're missing out. This is what great horror flicks should be. Pure fun.

Growing up I watched this movie countless times.

Author: triple8 from Conn
2 April 2004

It didn't really stay with me but remains a movie I thought was wonderful growing up and were I to see it again I'd probebly enjoy it, though I doubt I'd go banannas over it like when I was a kid.

It's a nice fun young person vampire flick. I'm not a big fan of vampire movies but have seen a few-this is not a scary type movie, more a fun one of two boys who move to a small town on the west coast and get mixed up with a bunch of vampires. Best of all, this movie introduced me to Jason Patrick who's quite the talented actor. Many I know, became major fans of his, through this movie.

Lost boys is light, it's fun, pretty setting-decent acting-a gem for today's kids groing up who may not have seen it. I myself saw it so much as a kid I got horribly sick of it and vowed not to watch it again but I'll probebly see it once more in the future.

This movie is a must see for fans of vampire movies, it's no longer a favorite of mine at all, but a great movie for kids(actually all ages) and a fun quirky one-check it out if you haven't.

"You're history buddy!"

Author: Foreverisacastironmess from ukwitchcountry
31 October 2016

Nearly 30 years it's been since this first came out and I have yet to see another modern vampire movie that offers half as much of a ridiculously good time as The Lost Boys does. I think it works on every level that it's meant to, it's humorous and scary enough at points, putting humour into the horror and horror into the humour and poking fun at the old vampire lore yet still working as a legit vampire flick at the same time. And it doesn't even feel like it's about vampirism as such, I think it has a bit of an underlying coming of age tone, with kids moving to new places and finding new social circles and groups they can fit into, falling in with bad crowds.. It's one of those special rare types of horror movies that has a distinctly unique quality about it, I mean it isn't even remotely your typical vampire movie. All the main characters have enough development that they're all likable. Young Corey Haim was so lovable and funny and was just a ball of energy to watch, I think among other stuff, his performance is one of the main things that make the movie work so well. The chemistry that he, Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander had together was such a fun highlight. I love the absolutely hilarious touch of the two hippies that are always in the background whenever there's a scene inside that cool comic book store that look like they could be either sleeping or dead! Jason Patrick I thought was just okay in his role as a responsible young guy that gives in to peer pressure and finds that he has to save himself from becoming a soulless killer. I did like the excellent rival chemistry he had with Keifer Sutherland and his relationship with Corey Haim seemed sweet and genuine, I buy the brother dynamic between them. Apart from the awesomely charismatic Keifer Sutherland, all the other vampires of his gang barely speak but they have a lot of personality in just the style and attitude of how they look. And it may have been big at the time, but I think they dodged a bullet when they decided to make them decidedly more rock and roll than glam rock! I like the way you don't see the vampires true forms until near the end and how they set it up with the early scenes where you don't see what carries off the security guard and the comic book-stealing couple in their car. When you do see them in full vamp mode they're scary and demonic, with the eyes as the focal point of the makeup effects which hold up very well. I love Diane Weist in it, she's so adorable with her short hair and has a genuine motherly quality about her. She's so kind and sweet that she attracts the diabolical attentions of one who's own wholesome outlook on family values are a twisted reflection of hers... I loved Edward Herman as the physically imposing nerdish man with a very dark secret. You never would have expected him to be the main bad guy, especially after the clever double-bluff when they mislead you into thinking he is the head vampire and then officially disprove him mid-story. But watching it again there are clues, like when he firmly asks the vampire biker gang to leave his video store and they do so without a fuss, when he asks to be invited in is the real big one you can't quite forget, and simply how he isn't dead after encountering the boys outside his home during one very creepy scene. Bernard Hughes as the quirky old grandpa who liked scaring his grandson with spooky stuffed animals was just brilliant, it was like he wasn't even acting, who ever didn't want a grandpa just like that? He steals every scene he's in, and he saves the day! Although I do wonder if he meant to crash through the house and impale Max or if he was just drunk driving and they got lucky? I love the weird vibe of that final line of his that leaves things on such an enigmatic high note as the characters as well as the audience are left dumbfounded and in the dark. As a kid I always thought the bottle that he drinks from meant that he too was a vampire. It may be horror technically but the tons of footage of the beach, blue skies and especially the boardwalk that serves as the film's backdrop is so beautifully rich that I find that it gives it all a strangely feel-good upbeat quality. I can just get lost in that retro 80s punk hair carnival coastline atmosphere. It's so alive and has a very strong appeal to me. The music had so much soul, the image of them riding across the sandy beach in the moonlight with "Lost in the Shadows" playing is so visually striking and memorable and a real iconic image of this picture. The energy of the concert scene with the greased-up muscle bound saxophone player is infectious, that guy was really f**kin' into it! He couldn't be in the movie for more than a minute and a half but you sure do remember him. I always wanna be there, I wanna get into it with that crowd man!!! It all has such a youthful exuberance about itself, and to me captures something of the spirit of youth in general. You could never recreate this kind of movie, it's one horror comedy thriller that I consider forever classic and a real gem of its era. It's always had a special place in my heart, and regardless of how my view of this film has changed over the years, I still love it dearly. ):P "I haven't changed my mind about that!"

Stylish horror comedy

Author: Falconeer from Deutschland
30 September 2016

Loved it when I was a kid, not so much now. I find "The Lost Boys" hasn't aged so well, and what looked 'super-cool' once looks a bit cheesy today. The problem is it's trying to be two different kinds of films; a Gothic, somewhat erotic vampire tale, as well as a silly comedy geared for younger viewers. I think the comedy kills what could have been a classic horror movie. And even as a young teen I found the "Frog bothers" to be tiresome and dumb, and something to be endured until the vampire gang was on screen again. The movie does have it's merits however, including some great atmosphere and sets, such as the sunken hotel/vampire lair. Jason Patric is the very definition of cool, and what every boy aspired to be in the 1980's. Jamie Gertz was beautiful and mysterious as 'Starr' and Kiefer Sutherland has created one of the most sinister and unforgettable vampire villains in 'David.' I always wished director Joel Schumacher had just stayed with this darker tone throughout the film. But the jarring comedy makes for an uneven and unsatisfying viewing experience. Certain horror films that I loved as a child I still love now; films like "Cat People" (1982) and "The Hunger" have fared much better over time, but I suppose those films were geared towards an adult audience anyway. "The Lost Boys" is still worth a look..

Just turn off the brain and enjoy

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
18 August 2016

At its best, Joel Schumacher's THE LOST BOYS is a witty and affectionate spoof of the vampire genre a la FRIGHT NIGHT, with good '80s effects work from Greg Cannom and a script that is littered with references to vampire movie folklore and films that have preceded it. At its worst, this is extremely dated and cheesy dumb entertainment, cynically aimed to exploit the younger market by mixing then-popular child stars with teenagers as their peers, and very few adults (I think perhaps three in total) in the cast. I know a lot of people hate Schumacher's work, but I remain pretty much ambivalent about this and his 8MM; I can enjoy the films for their merits but am also acutely aware of their failings.

At least THE LOST BOYS is fast-paced, and easy enough to just sit back with and enjoy at face value. Although the costumes and mullet-style hairstyles have sadly dated, the age-old story of human vs. vampires can never really grow old, whatever the setting, so the '80s cheesiness is never overwhelming (except in the soundtrack, occasionally, in which atmospheric singing is mixed with clunky heavy metal rubbish). Schumacher keeps his tricksy, MTV-style visuals to a thankful minimum and packs the film with lots of jokes for it to appeal to a wide audience. The idea of a youthful vampire "gang" of male teenagers is used for its showy value alone (motorbike riding at night; midnight dare jumps off railway bridges) yet the themes are never fully explored above a comic-book simplicity. The makeup of the vampires isn't used until the latter stages of the film, which is for the best, and largely effective (somehow a few prosthetics and scary contact lenses work wonders).

The trio of intrepid, GOONIES-style heroes are played by the two Coreys, that is Haim and Feldman, and the relatively unknown Jamison Newlander who takes a back seat in action. I'm pretty nonchalant when it comes to the two Coreys, but your mileage may vary: Feldman was always appearing in the movies I enjoyed back as a kid in the '80s, so I guess I was a bit of a fan of his, although I'm not too sure about his unsuccessful adult career later on in life. The ever-wooden Jason Patric (the "star" of the disastrous SPEED 2) is the handsome but poorly-acting male lead, complete with designer stubble, a greasy mullet and '80s padded leather jacket; unfortunately he has the most complex performance of the cast as he struggles to balance his human and vampire halves, although thankfully with so many minor characters he isn't focused upon too often. Jami Gertz is the bland female love interest, whilst Dianne Wiest and Edward Herrmann give strong support as the two lead adults.

As for the vampire pack, two actors are distinctive: Kiefer Sutherland and Alex Winter. Winter (better known for his role in BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE) manages to genuinely look creepy as his weirdo vampire, and that's good because that's ALL he has to do. Sutherland, meanwhile, puts in a thoroughly nasty turn as the chief vampire and it's a delight to see him get his comeuppance (what, you're surprised?) - in fact he's the best actor in the film and this is his most famous early mainstream performance as far as I can recall. The rest of the vampire gang are pretty unmemorable and just kind of blend into one.

THE LOST BOYS boasts an exciting, frenetic climax of spook house-show shenanigans as the vampires launch a frenzied attack on a rapidly-becoming-destroyed house, complete with taps bursting, stairways smashing down and all manner of huge explosions. Then there are the messy final disintegrations of the vampires which act as an interesting precursor and influence on the later mayhem of 1996's FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, with vampires dissolving in holy water, bleeding, getting impaled, and exploding. My only complaint is that Sutherland doesn't dissolve after being staked - surely a missed opportunity for a fine piece of gooey special effects work. THE LOST BOYS may not engage the brain particularly, but it's harmless stuff and quite entertaining if you don't take it too seriously.

Several lost boys but, unfortunately, only one lost girl

Author: Wuchak from Ohio/PA border
26 May 2016

Released in 1987, "The Lost Boys" chronicles events in a Northern California coastal town after a mother and two sons move there from Phoenix. The older son, Michael (Jason Patric), gets involved with a wild local gang led by the sinister David (Kiefer Sutherland) while the younger son, Sam (Corey Haim), hangs out with two geeky vampire hunters (Corey Feldman & Jamison Newlander). Meanwhile the mother (Dianne Wiest) starts dating a supposedly suspicious shop owner, Max (Edward Herrmann). A young Jami Gertz plays the sole babe.

This is a stylish and hip vampire flick that expertly meshes horror and humor. I usually don't like horror-comedies, but this one works well. The horror is pretty horrifying (in a fun way) while the comedy is consistently amusing. The coastal California locations are superb. However, the excellent train trestle sequence was shot in Alabama (see below).

I generally don't like 80's new wave pop rock, but the soundtrack is enjoyable, particularly the creative Lost Boys Theme "Cry Little Sister" by Gerard Mcmann (with a catchy chorus sung by children). "Lost in the Shadows" by Lou Gramm is good as well. INXS, Roger Daltry and Echo And The Bunnymen also have songs on the soundtrack, the latter group doing a mid-80's version of The Doors' "People Are Strange," which is very close to the original song and actually sounds like its Jim Morrison singing. The sax-playing beefcake sequence featured one-hit wonder Tim Cappello playing "I Still Believe."

Speaking of beefcake, this zeroes in on my problem with this movie: There are multiple lost boys, but only one lost girl. Although Gertz is good-looking she's always wearing a long skirt and so we never get a good look at her beyond her face (and I'm not talking about nudity, btw), with the exception of a campfire sex scene that doesn't work because it's premature and overall lame. Needless to say, a mid-80s horror flick without babes is scandalous. Director Joel Schumacher needed to take notes from the six Friday the 13th movies that had been released by the time "The Lost Boys" was shot. Oh, wait, Schumacher is gay; nevermind.

While the movie was largely shot in Santa Cruz, California, the vampire cave entrance was 350 miles south at Rancho Palos Verdes whereas the train trestle sequence was shot in Bayou Canot, Mobile, Alabama. The boys were able to jump into the underlying fog because the river was only 12-15 feet below, although the movie gives the impression that they were way higher up. Interior shooting was done in the studio at Burbank.

The movie runs 97 minutes.

GRADE: B

So 80s.

Author: Sturmhard Tempelfeld
17 April 2016

If you want the ultimate feeling of an 80s movie, you will receive it from the very first beginning. Nice and funny and kind of nostalgic, but gets weaker as the plot moves on. Even the cast is exemplary for a movie from this decade. I really like to see Corey Feldman acting as the though guy even though he is still not a grown up. There are some parallels to the movie Stand by me. Although Alex Winter is playing just a short role, he is fun to watch. Not very believable in his role, but very likable (almost always grinning). The soundtrack is nice and totally fits. On the whole Jan Fischer couldn't decide what he wanted the movie to be. Horror or Comedy? In the end it's not a mix but an alteration of both and I don't think that worked out well enough.

Okay to watch and definitely better than that rubbish Twilight Saga.

Author: Angelika_New_York from United States
12 April 2016

I remember liking this film more back when it came out. I anticipated it after my first time seeing a commercial for it on TV. It is definitely a movie of its time.

Revisiting it twenty years after its release, I kind of saw it in a different way and now almost thirty years later, my feelings haven't really changed.

Although this film is far from bad and it certainly is better than any of those recent rubbish Twilight movies, there has always been something unsatisfactory about it. Like my main problem has always been the rushed ending. The vampire tribe were probably the most compelling characters and then they get killed off so quickly. I mean, how did Paul (Brooke McCarter) allow himself to be so vulnerable when he sees all that garlic and holy water in the bathtub? He tells Edgar and Alan, "Garlic don't work, boys!" and then he gets the holy water splashed in his face and then basically dies a quick death. I like the effect of the blood and the water that basically bursts through the drains and the pipes from the kitchen and bathroom. But it could've been drawn out a bit more, I think. Another thing is how the hell was the scrawny little Corey Haim able to defeat Billy Wirth? It just didn't seem plausible to me. On the whole, the movie does have decent character development such as between the brothers Michael and Sam (Jason Patrick and Corey Haim, respectively) and even the delightful underused character of Grandpa (Barnard Hughes). Then things get even more interesting as they settle into the town of Santa Carla. The whole thing has an alluring vibe to it and some of the dialogue is even quite amusing. I like how the whole thing plays out, but things become unnecessarily hurried especially after Michael is outside Sam's window and Sam says, "What are you? The Flying Nun?" I like the tongue in cheek humor. There are some things about it that work, but it's pretty much a middle-of-the-road movie for me. My grade: C.

It's a mixed bag of Vampirism.

Author: Byrdz
3 April 2016

It truly is a mixture. It is as gory as all heck. It tries to be funny. The cast is really doing a good job at being either a vampire, a vampire hunter or a totally clueless mom. BUT it never seems to make up its mind as to what exactly it wants to be.

It's fun to see "Baby Kiefer Sutherland" who could easily have played the vampire without bothering with those painful contacts (read the trivia page). He is pretty much re-playing the mean bully-boy he played in "Stand By Me" only with teeth. "Marco" looked familiar and he turned out to have been either Bill or Ted who had an Excellent Adventure.

Corey Feldman had perfected this particular role by the time he made The 'Burbs. I like Dianne Wiest but she whispers in that high, feathery voice of hers and it's difficult to hear or understand what she is saying.

Anyway ... mixed bag. OK as a comedy, sort of scary. Actually, laughed at some of what was SUPPOSED to be frightening. Nothing to go crazy trying to find.