IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 34: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

one of the best vampire movies

Author: CamaroLuvNgal84 from Georgia
28 December 2002

"The Lost Boys" is a great vampire movie. It isn't cliched like most vampire movies and it has a good story line. I like the fact that the vampires look like normal people until they attack and that's when they actually look like vampires (which freaked me out). Kiefer Sutherland was good in this movie. He was very creepy. Jason Patric also good and some nice eye candy too. The two Coreys were just cute and entertaining at trying to act tough. Well, I thought this was a very good vampire movie and it was actually watchable! I think most vampire movies these days are just plain stupid, over cliched, and just totally unwatchable. But I liked this one! It gave me chills and kept me on the edge of my seat. Well, thanks for reading my review! Bye!

An 80's horror flick which stands the test of time!

Author: sdelaney from derbyshire, England
29 April 2002

Since Scream all horror films seem to use the same mold, the same kind of humour and very little to set them apart from any other horror film. What happened to the clever black-comedy? Lost Boys still after all these years is yet to surpassed. It's clever, funny and stylish (apart from the clothes and the haircuts). I find that one of the most unbelievable things about The Lost Boys, is that the quality of the cinematography is still really good for a film which is over 15 years old, and the soundtrack still sounds quite fresh, compare other films of the same era and they sound and look really dated and most of the time you feel slightly embarrassed that you liked them in the first place. It's a shame that Hollywood lost the ability to make a decent horror film, now all that remains for us to see is if anyone out there can you rescue this dying genre.

Don't read if you haven't seen.

Author: day dream in blue (reykjavik_@hotmail.com) from Australia
13 January 2002

The soundtrack really reflects the feeling of the 'lost boys'. When David dies it almost seems as if everything that happened was not his fault, he was ironically just lost. And the surreal childrens voices lilting in the background portray the situation beautifully. The contrast in the movie is amazing, comic relief, horror, and that subtle sense of misunderstanding all carry the film wonderfully.- My brother said to say that his favourite scene was when Max came around for dinner and the frog brothers and sam attempted to unvail his underlying bloodsucking tendencies. The cast is great and i bet everyone after seeing this movie wants a dog just like nanook.

"Feedin' time, come and get it boys!" "Allright!"

Author: jimbofletch from London, England
18 June 2000

There's no doubt. The Lost Boys is my kind of film. It's just got it all, and even more. Funny, spooky, good-looking and weird, this is the film I have seen the most times by far. Kiefer Sutherland is the greatest in this film, and everyone else, especially Corey Haim and Corey Feldman, are also quality. I cannot ever get bored of this, this is the perfect cult film, the best film to put on video when you want to be entertained. The critics hated it, but what do they know? This is the best film of the 80's, and of any time. The soundtrack treads uneasily between brilliance and badness, but when it's good, it's really good. Forget Fright Night, Vamp, Weird Science, The Breakfast Club or any other contemporary 80's teen movie. As good as they are (and some of them are really good), they don't hold a candle to The Lost Boys. Just where are all of these actors now? I haven't seen Jamison Newlander (who plays Allan Frog) in any other film, as well as Brooke McCarter and Billy Wirth (the two lost boys who aren't Sutherland and Alex Winter). Some of the scenes in this are brilliant, truly brilliant: the bit when The Lost Boys lead Michael (Jason Patric) to the edge of the cliff on his bike is superb, and the scene on the train bridge is genuinely creepy. Hey,the film's not perfect, who cares? For the most part this film makes my night. 80's entertainment at it's best!

THE BEST VAMPIRE MOVIE!!!

Author: JMG-2 from New York, NY
3 July 1999

"The Lost Boys" has to be the best vampire movie and probably my most favorite horror/comedy ever made.Everything about it shines from the Cave that was very well designed by Bo Welch to the acting and one-liners "we killed the one who looks like Twisted Sister" or "Death by Stereo".The great Soundtrack which I bought a week right after I saw the movie and still enjoy tops it all as the highlight of the film.This movies proves that Schumacher can actually direct as long as the movie doesn't have the name "BATMAN" on it, this movie was also way ahead of it's time with Great Special FX's for a 1987 movie.The recent horror/comedy movies(Scream,IKWYDLS,Urban Legend) will never even touch or compare to "The Lost Boys" till this day the movie still feels fresh and is just great to see.A must for any horror fan's video collection.

The original classic hip horror film.

Author: Dale-25 from Elgin, Illinois
22 October 1998

Long before Scream, there was The Lost Boys, the original hip and scary horror film. I haven't seen this film in years and when I saw it again recently, it still has the laughs and the total excitement it had over 10 years ago.

Remember when vampires used to suck blood, not c**k?

Author: tpaladino from United States
15 January 2011

With all the horrible, horrible excuses for vampire movies in our pop culture these days, it's refreshing to revisit a top-notch example of the genre done oh-so-right.

The Lost Boys is an 80's masterpiece, with amazing performances by the entire cast. It shows that vampires were once modern and hip without being manufactured exclusively for thirteen year old girls. Sure, the Corey's were at the pinnacle of teen heartthrob status in 1987, but there is more than enough in the rest of the film to satisfy beyond that demographic. Kiefer Sutherland is possibly the coolest vampire ever on the silver screen, and the subject matter is appropriately dark without being overly disturbing or sacrificing moments of levity.

Really, it's a great film that's held up very well over the years. Although I doubt that the Twilight crowd would agree, but then again if they had any taste they wouldn't like Twilight in the first place.

The Brothers Frog

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
9 March 2008

In The Lost Boys Dianne Weist and her two sons are moving in with her father Barnard Hughes in the Pacific coastal town of Santa Clara. Some strange kids inhabit the place and when older son Jason Patric spots Jamie Gertz in a tight fitting blouse among them, the old raging hormones do take over. Kiefer Sutherland heads the gang and believe me they've got quite an initiation rite.

His older brother's strange behavior is concerning Corey Haim and the only people who share his concern are a couple of brothers named Frog, played by Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander. It's rumored that Santa Clara has been a haven for vampires for many years, but the only two who want to do anything about it are the brothers Frog. Until now.

The Lost Boys was one of the great Eighties Brat Pack movies, with a cast full of tongue in cheek performances. The Coreys, Haim and Feldman, were at the high points of their respective careers as teenage idols and they both show why they were. Best in the film however are Dianne Weist as their absolutely clueless mother and Edward Herrmann who employs her at his video store.

There's a sequel coming out 21 years after this film made its debut. I'm trying to picture Haim, Feldman, and Newlander fighting another crowd of teenage vampires.

Anyway you got to love a film with a pair of characters named Frog.

fabulous late-80s vampire fare....

Author: suburbannightmare from Leeds, England
3 November 2006

This film was made in 1987, and it still looks cool. Kiefer Sutherland sports a height-of-eighties-fashion bleach-blonde mullet and he still looks cool. It's a fabulous mix of vampire/teen/comedy/horror and nearly 20 years after it's release, it still remains a favourite amongst many movie fans, and this has to be one of the most popular vampire movies of all time. Every child of the eighties knows and loves it, and the plot rings true with anyone who's been roped into doing something slightly dodgy by some git who's cooler than you are.

The story centres on Michael Emerson. He, his mother and brother have recently moved to Santa Carla after his mother's divorce. With nothing to do until school starts, he spends his evenings mooching around the beachfront's boardwalk and eventually falls in with a motorcycle gang. Who just so happen to be vampires. Nothing unusual there, then. Egged on by the gang, Michael unwittingly drinks blood, which gradually transforms him into a vampire. Michael's brother enlists help from a pair of vampire hunting brothers to save Michael (and the rest of the town). The cast are superb – they're all pretty 80s youngsters, obviously employed because of their market value at the time, but decent actors nonetheless. Jason Patric is perfect as Michael, the gorgeous but gullible new kid in town, who falls for the beautiful Star and unknowingly, descends into vampirism to get closer to her. Kiefer Sutherland does a great turn as the ultra-cool, menacing (but seductively persuasive) leader-of-the-pack-vampire, David. The vampire gang are impossibly cool, the epitome of 80s fashion and teen attitude. Not to mention having cast Alex Winter as Marco - Bill S. Preston Esquire with fangs! Jami Gertz's Star is fittingly mysterious and evasive, but for me, the real stars of the show are the Frog brothers - teenage vampire hunters/comic bookstore owners, fighting the good fight for Justice, Truth, and The American Way. Michael's brother Sam enlists their help to put a stop to vampirism taking over his family (and, eventually, the town). With lines like "Kill your brother. You'll feel better" they're the best bit of comic relief in this movie. Corey Haim manages a good performance as Sam, Michael's younger brother and Diane Wiest is fab as their unsuspecting mother.

The entire film really looks good too. It's comically gory, lots of body parts exploding, stakings and burnings. And it contains some of the more 'realistic' vampire-esquire makeup effects – the vampires look like they really would like to tear your face off. Although the movie is nearly 20 years old, apart from certain elements of hairstyles and clothing, (like David's choice mullet and Star's exploding-poodle-style perm) it doesn't look that dated at all, and has a cracking 80s power ballad soundtrack. Set in Santa Carla's beachfront (so named to avoid associations between Santa Cruz and the film's gang-related themes.) it's full of carnival music, twinkling lights and sparkling nighttime beaches, which give it a slightly surreal atmosphere. Think what it'd be like living in Blackpool permanently. I think I'd turn to vampirism just for something to do. Of course there's always the token struggle between good and evil, from Michael's Mother nearly sucumbing to the charms of the head vampire, and Michael almost being shoved across the line into fully fledged vampirism, but it's all still very entertaining.

Slightly darker than a teen movie, but just as fun, this will remain a firmly beloved classic for at least another 20 years.

Gets better with every viewing.

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
25 June 2001

This movie came out when I was like six years old. Here is a brief little plot-summary:

Michael and Sam are two teenage brothers who are moving with their recently divorced mother to Sante Carlo, California to stay with their eccentric grandfather. It is clear from the get go that Sante Carlo is an anything but normal town. This is explained by shots of the people while a cover of the Doors' "People are Strange" plays over the opening credits. Within a few days, Michael has already found the wrong girl and hooked up with the wrong crowd. Pretty soon, he's hanging out (litteraly) all night and sleeping all day. Sam, being the comic freak that he is, knows that's something is up and finds assistance by a coupla dorks who claim to be vampire killers.

How would I describe this film? Entertaining. Pure and simple. It is the definitive "style over substance" flick and that is just fine by me. This movie is all about entertaining the viewer and nothing else. Over the last thirteen years, I have seen this movie probably about thirty times and it has yet to get old. It is also a great time capsule of the 80s. There is a highly polished look to the whole thing, the music is awesome, and the good looking cast doesn't hurt.

When you watch this today, you might find some things to be hilarious. For example, that singer on stage with the oiled biceps, playing the sax. Watch that scene with a few friends, and you might find that the laughter is highly contagious.

I would have to say that my favorite character would be the grandfather. He had the best one-liners in the movie and his prescence alone, kept me laughing. I also think that this is one of Corey Feldman's best movies. He didn't have a whole lot of screen time, but he did give a fun, convincing performance and it would be cool to reunite the two Coreys for a sequel.

If you are one of the few people who have yet to see this, you're missing out. This is what great horror flicks should be. Pure fun.