IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 34: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Doesn't take itself seriously, and that's the charm

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
28 October 2015

"The Lost Boys" is one of those movies that walks the line between awesome and silly, but never really goes overboard. There's a surprising likability to the entire movie, vampire darkness steeped in teen movie, and it feels like something that would've gone off the rails in lesser hands. But what I really like about this movie is that it is shamelessly a product of its time; the formidable array of mullets, the look, the feel. There's no way to remake this without genericizing the hell out of it. No lubed-up sax guy, no deal. And speaking of the '80s, this is definitely one of the really good soundtrack movies. Who knew Echo and the Bunnymen would do a great Doors cover? And I admit no shame in saying that I've always liked the Lou Gramm song. I don't care if it's overwrought, "Lost in the Shadows" represents this movie to me. Not sure what it is, but it's cool.

"The Lost Boys" is a lot of fun, definitely in the midnight movie vein. It should always be watched with like-minded friends.

Chamber Goth Style To Spare

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
10 October 2015

It's amazing to me how fresh this movie feels in 2015, even as it radiates late 80s style. The Lost Boys really relied on great characters, then took it up a notch by layering atmospheric visuals and a well matched soundtrack. It keeps a perfect balance between the Gothic angst of Michael's storyline and goofy humor with the two Coreys. There were some stretches where it dragged, but also had some editing that today's movies could really learn from. The best example of this comes during the climactic final act, when the final showdown between heroes and vampires gets down to business. And that business is killing off bloodsuckers in a highly satisfying fashion. Most movies would drag this sequence out with lingering deaths and tension- killing chases. Here, everything is nicely timed, especially the head vampire Max. He reveals himself, beats up all the heroes, then holds a young son hostage and forces the mother to join him in a matter of seconds. And just as it looks completely hopeless, grandpa comes crashing in and gets the final word. It made me remember how I felt as a teen, watching with friends on a rented VHS tape. I can still hear Kiefer Sutherland calling, "Michael...Michael..."

An almost perfect film

Author: cathalokane from United Kingdom
25 September 2015

The Lost Boys is a truly excellent film. I remember how gobsmacked I was when I first watched it as a young teenager. That haunting boy choir melody takes me immediately back to the first time I saw it and gives me a chill!

This is a film that beautifully blends two elements that don't always go well together: comedy and horror. It gets it so right I'm not even sure how Joel Schumacher pulled it off. The serious and scary characters like Kiefer Sutherland's menacing David are offset beautifully by Sam, and the Frog brothers.

These two sides of the film sit neatly beside each other without ever really coming together until the climactic end. It would have been very easy indeed for this film to end up neither funny nor scary but somehow it manages to be both through neat dialogue, simple jokes, and outstanding pacing.

I sat through this again last night for the first time in years and I savoured every minute, and was stunned to see a lowly rating of 7.2 on here. Poor show IMDb reviewers. The blistering soundtrack is just the icing on the cake. 9/10

Living la Vida local...forever (Maybe),

Author: mark.waltz from United States
23 September 2015

People are strange when they get caught in the rain. So goes the song that opens this comedy horror hit set in a small California town where the teen population is made up by 50% living and 50% Undead. Dianne Wiest is returning to her hometown with her children to live with her father (Bernard Hughes), a crotchety grouch who keeps a supply of his special soda which is off limits to his grand kids, and forgets to reveal certain secrets of the town to his returning child. The oldest son, disillusioned by having to have left his old home, manages to make new friends, but unfortunately they are the wrong kind of friends.

Shortly before the family was seen driving up the California coast into the town, an amusement park was invaded by the teen night creatures who prayed down on a couple making out in their car, turning them into a late night snack. Wiest plays her typical happy-go-lucky single mom, and finds romance by getting a job at the local video store, finding romance with her boss, eligible bachelor Edward Herrmann. She's disturbed by the presence of the strange teenagers who come in, and the caustic conversation that occurs between them and Herman. The younger son gets mixed up with a bunch of strange kids whom we later find out are on the search for evidence of how they can destroy these midnight teen creatures.

The violence increases, the blood flows, and yes if you haven't figured it out already, these lost boys (and girls) are vampires. That even includes a little boy, turned into a night creature desperate for nutrition for the human plasma. The idiotic teenage vampire hunters begin to suspect that Hermann might be the head vampire, and when a plot to expose him involving garlic doesn't work, it seems like they are on the wrong track. But is it too late for the older son? He seems to be turning into one of them, and if choosing the wrong crowd can get him turning into a creature of the night, then he doesn't have a chance of avoiding the stake.

Sleep all day! Party all night! That is the promise that the older son's new friends give him, and all it will take is one last drink of the red liquid to complete their mission. But with evidence creeping in on this rough teenage crowd, it seems like the mirror of their souls will not be reflected as time runs out. This is horror comedy at its best, certainly not quite as gruesome as the scary movie films but definitely much better. There are lots of surprises along the way, and then there's a musical opus that is almost classic as a film reaches its dramatic and violence conclusion. Veteran actor Bernard Hughes gets a great tag-line, being sort of the Sylvia Sidney ("Mars Attacks") hero to save the day, although he doesn't use bad music like Slim Whitman to do so.

One of the great top popcorn films of the late 1980s, this was the film that established Dianne Wiest as one of my favorite actresses. She had started off in mostly supporting neurotic parts, and with "The Lost Boys", she began playing kindly moms confused by their children, and here, started the trend. After this along came "Parenthood", "Cookie", and my favorite of her parts on screen, the Avon lady mom in "Edward Scissorhands". There is some stupid comedy with the two vampire hunting teens, as they seem more like pals of Sean Penn's from " Fast Times at Ridgemont High", but perhaps their characters influenced the creation of Buffy, the vampire slayer. It is a must for horror movie fans, and more than 25 years later, it seems like something just so fresh, almost like it came out yesterday.

Be one of us

Author: Nicholas Lynch from Santa Carla
17 September 2015

The Lost Boys has to be my favourite movie of all time. It has everything, in my opinion. Dark, funny, sexy, cool and WAY ahead of its time. Every single character is perfect in their respective roles and you will NEVER find a vampire gang as cool as David, Dwayne, Paul and Marco. Sam and Michael work great together as the chalk and cheese brothers while Edgar and Alan are hilarious and yet dangerous at the same time. Max as the infamous head vampire is just perfect and all other characters give solid performances. I think I've seen this film close to 100 times. All in all. This is a timeless classic and to be a 7.2 is not high enough for this amazing 80s classic!

fun teen vampire movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
4 September 2015

Brothers Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam Emerson (Corey Haim) with their divorced mother Lucy (Dianne Wiest) move to Santa Carla, California to live with her hippie reclusive father out on the farm. There are lots of missing people in the area after attacks from the sky. Michael falls for Star (Jami Gertz) who is the girlfriend of gang leader David (Kiefer Sutherland). Sam is befriended by brothers Edgar (Corey Feldman) and Alan Frog who are self-proclaimed vampire hunters.

It's a fun teen vampire movie from Joel Schumacher. It's an enjoyable ride. The attention is split between Michael and Sam. That leaves the movie with two somewhat separate paths. It's not quite a dark older teen horror. It has a bit of childish fun with Sam and Edgar. That split personality is part of its charm but also holds it back from being great.

The Lost Boys (9/10)

Author: skybrick736 from Waconia, Minnesota
9 August 2015

One of the most notorious vampire movies ever made is The Lost Boys, a film that brought together Corey Haim and Cody Feldman, off to teen stardom. The surrounding cast were all solid in the film, all being respected, and well-known actors and actresses that include Jason Patric, Dianne Wiest, Jami Gertz, Edward Herrmann and Kiefer Sutherland. The story is original, having a lot of comedy and scares mixed within each other beautifully. It's also a really tough tossup on which brothers have the better character duo, between The Emersons or The Frogs. The story also stays faithful to vampire lore and has some decent special effects.

It seems the one thing that was somewhat lacking was the use of a good instrumental theme song or soundtrack. There are many who enjoy the music to The Lost Boys so that was something that wasn't really my taste. Although, the ending while entertaining and hilarious, it was rather predictable. Otherwise besides those gripes, The Lost Boys is definitely a one of a kind vampire movie, and even with strong competition it's easy to say it's one of the best.

I Finally Figured Out Why I Love This Film So Much.

Author: powermandan from Canada
18 June 2015

The Lost Boys is one of the best vampire movies ever made. To me, it is one of the best horror movies in general. What so many horror movies miss are the proper connections with the actual story and characters, and the horror elements. The Lost Boys has deep meaning (which I consider to be allegorical) which takes advantage of the horror, not the other way around. That is why the majority of horror movies are all mindless.

The films follows teenage brothers Michael and Sam (Patric, Haim) who move with their mother Lucy (Weist) to their grandfather's house (Hughes). Sam makes friends with brother vampire hunters (Feldman, Newlander) who caution his every move, while Michael befriends a mysterious group who make him a part of them. You guessed it, vampires! Soon, both pairs of brother must band together to take down the head vampire to turn Michael back to normal.

Moving to a new town is very scary: new schools, new jobs, new friends. Peer pressure always gets the better of you. You do whatever you can to fit in and a lot of the time there's no going back. That is pretty much the case with Michael. He follows Jami Gertz which leads him to "the lost boys." They are mysterious so he is interested. He tries to go back when he uncovers what he has become, but he cannot. In real life, when somebody starts smoking out of pressure, it is super rare to break that habit right away. The only way for Michael to stop being a vampire is either by death or killing the head vampire, whomever that may be. Sam, on the other hand, is stronger and wiser. He outright rejects Feldman and Newlander right away, only returning to them later. Had it been Michael, he would have accepted them right away.

As a horror movie, there has to be a strong scare factor in order to work. These vampires are actually terrifying. Some of these are the scariest vampires ever put to film. Even more scary than many innovative horror movies these days, no gross or stupid. The vampire bits are not even the only good parts. The astonishing vampire bits are just a plus. That is why the story and characters support the horror.

Author: Jacob Grant from Canada
30 April 2015

This film is a cult classic that many seem to either love or hate. Personally, I'm' sort of somewhere in the middle. Overall, it was a decent enough film, but it is unfortunately bogged down by the atrocious performance of main actor Jason Patrick. I haven't seen his other work, and I understand that this was an early role for him, but it was literally one of the worst performances I've ever seen. His mother (played by Dianne West) was equally annoying as the timid victim-type mother who let people walk all over her. Corey Haim was surprisingly entertaining as Michael's little brother, while Feldman and his on-screen brother who may as well have just been a mannequin, are self-proclaimed vampire hunters who have never even seen a vampire before. The best performance in the film came from Kiefer Sutherland, which should come as no surprise to those familiar with his other work. The only other really notable performance was that of the late Edward Herrmann as Max.

This film does have it's funny moments, but I found they were just funny enough to make me let out a quick chuckle. The vampires are cool, but they are not revealed in their full glory until late in the film, which I found a bit disappointing, mainly because the rest of the film just isn't strong enough on it's own. There is also an attempt at a romance plot between Michael and Star (Jami Gertz), but it starts up like nothing and has absolutely zero substance to it.

Some may say I'm taking the movie too seriously, and I understand it's supposed to be silly, but I honestly didn't think it was that funny overall. It kind of felt like the sort of movie you watch while having like a drunken movie night with your buddies. I give this film a 6/10.

PS: The title of this review will make sense if you decide to watch the film.

Serious film

Author: krakanova
31 December 2014

8/10 An excellent vampire film.

An untold prelude: The young pretty girl was seduced into the house of vampires and she is a prostitute for finding new blood

Film: She seduces a man in a leather jacket that will fight vampire Kiefer Sutherland. But, the vampire boys like him. They want to recruit him. Maybe leader material

Jami Gertz (the vampire seductress) is guilty. She didn't want to do that, but she does. She knows it. damn

The conclusion is in the name of the film.