IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Captures the true essence of Vampires

Author: MissMimiH from Canada
17 July 2006

**May contain spoilers** I first saw this movie about a year ago, it was my mom's idea to rent it. When she told me it was scary I didn't believe her. But she was right. Its kinda un-nerving.

The Lost Boys just screams 80's but thats whats so awesome about it. The performances by all are outstanding. Dianne Wiest is perfect as Lucy Emerson, the mom trying to rebuild her life with her sons after a divorce. Corey Haim and Jason Patric, have really good screen chemistry(being brothers) and give realism to the movie. Grandpa (Barnard Huges) is funny, as the eccentric old man, and who could forget the amazingly funny Frog Brothers (Corey Feldman, and Jamison Newlander, loved the Chuck Norris/Rambo voices!

Jami Gertz is good in her role as Star, the only girl vampire in the movie, her and Jasons chemistry is breathe taking. Max (Edward Herrmann) is really versatile, being able to play the lovable video clerk, as well as the deranged head vampire. The Lost Boys (Dwayne, Marko and Paul) all play their roles wickedly, with just enough humor to be likable. Lastly there's David(Kiefer Sutherland) the leader of the head boys, his portrayal of David is hauntingly refreshing, he's charismatic enough to lure you in, but evil enough to make you want to run, he steals the show, IMO.

Overall this movie is one of my favorites, it's a cult classic, with just enough of a mix of humor, romance, action, and horror, to appeal to almost anyones tastes.

Quick Reviews!!

Author: malkane316 from NI
1 February 2005

One of the coolest films of the 80's, and one which still stands up to today's impressions of 'coolness', The Lost Boys is an entertaining mix of horror and comedy, filled with great performances, which had a massive influence on the both Buffy the Vampire Slayerm and teen horror movies of today. Made for the MTV generation, the films stars are all good-looking and charismatic, but unlike todays 'stars', they do not try to steal the spotlight or feed their own egos.

Diane West and her two sons move to a new seaside town after a divorce, staying with her father while she decides what to do with her life. The town seems good at first, and she is quickly offered a job by a local shop owner Max. Meanwhile her sons explore the town, which seems to have a history of missing people. Her youngest, Sam played by Haim looks at the comic store where he meets the Frog brothers who insist on giving him a vampire comic which they claim may save his life. The older brother Michael follows a beautiful girl around, Star-only to find that she is part of a biker gang led by David (Sutherland). Michael finds out that David and his gang are vampires, and that if he wants Star he must become one. He completes the first stage by drinking blood. becoming paranoid, Sam believes that the town is full of Vampires and thinks his brother has become one, and they soon try to work out how to prevent Michael and Star changing. With the help of the Frog Brothers, Feldman and Newlander they try to work out who the Head vampire is, as his death will save the others. So begins many laughs and scares before the final fight.

In the style of Home Alone, the film tries to be inventive with household goods being turned into weapons, giving the film that mix of comedy and horror; The vampires are coming, the kids must prepare, but all they have are water pistols. The two Coreys are particularly good, making us wonder why they never got bigger parts, and Sutherland shines as the boss of his gang. Many twists ensue, the music is effective in enhancing the mood, and there are plenty of one-liners to remember. Probably the most entertaining Vampire movie ever, dark but not bleak, funny but not absurd, The Lost Boys is influential and should be enjoyed by all fans of Buffy, and be respected by critics as it is not just a simple, bland teen film. 9 out of 10.

excellent comedy-horror

Author: Penoyer1 from Virginia
10 January 2004

Recently divorced mom moves the family to vampire-infested beach town and complications arise. This movie never takes itself too seriously which along with a superb cast and tongue in cheek acting makes it really good for what it is. Highly recommended.

not to be taken seriously!

Author: Jockey1 from Wigan, England
26 December 2003

I dont really consider this a horror film, more of a gory comedy! None of this film is to be taken seriously, and it even takes the mick out of itself at some points! The characters of Sam and the Frog Brothers are great, and the three of them produce some of the best one-liners Ive heard! ("Death by stereo!") A typical 80s teen movie that Ive been raised on, more or less since birth, and well worth the time spent watching it.

one of the best vampire movies

Author: CamaroLuvNgal84 from Georgia
28 December 2002

"The Lost Boys" is a great vampire movie. It isn't cliched like most vampire movies and it has a good story line. I like the fact that the vampires look like normal people until they attack and that's when they actually look like vampires (which freaked me out). Kiefer Sutherland was good in this movie. He was very creepy. Jason Patric also good and some nice eye candy too. The two Coreys were just cute and entertaining at trying to act tough. Well, I thought this was a very good vampire movie and it was actually watchable! I think most vampire movies these days are just plain stupid, over cliched, and just totally unwatchable. But I liked this one! It gave me chills and kept me on the edge of my seat. Well, thanks for reading my review! Bye!

An 80's horror flick which stands the test of time!

Author: sdelaney from derbyshire, England
29 April 2002

Since Scream all horror films seem to use the same mold, the same kind of humour and very little to set them apart from any other horror film. What happened to the clever black-comedy? Lost Boys still after all these years is yet to surpassed. It's clever, funny and stylish (apart from the clothes and the haircuts). I find that one of the most unbelievable things about The Lost Boys, is that the quality of the cinematography is still really good for a film which is over 15 years old, and the soundtrack still sounds quite fresh, compare other films of the same era and they sound and look really dated and most of the time you feel slightly embarrassed that you liked them in the first place. It's a shame that Hollywood lost the ability to make a decent horror film, now all that remains for us to see is if anyone out there can you rescue this dying genre.

Don't read if you haven't seen.

Author: day dream in blue (reykjavik_@hotmail.com) from Australia
13 January 2002

The soundtrack really reflects the feeling of the 'lost boys'. When David dies it almost seems as if everything that happened was not his fault, he was ironically just lost. And the surreal childrens voices lilting in the background portray the situation beautifully. The contrast in the movie is amazing, comic relief, horror, and that subtle sense of misunderstanding all carry the film wonderfully.- My brother said to say that his favourite scene was when Max came around for dinner and the frog brothers and sam attempted to unvail his underlying bloodsucking tendencies. The cast is great and i bet everyone after seeing this movie wants a dog just like nanook.

"Feedin' time, come and get it boys!" "Allright!"

Author: jimbofletch from London, England
18 June 2000

There's no doubt. The Lost Boys is my kind of film. It's just got it all, and even more. Funny, spooky, good-looking and weird, this is the film I have seen the most times by far. Kiefer Sutherland is the greatest in this film, and everyone else, especially Corey Haim and Corey Feldman, are also quality. I cannot ever get bored of this, this is the perfect cult film, the best film to put on video when you want to be entertained. The critics hated it, but what do they know? This is the best film of the 80's, and of any time. The soundtrack treads uneasily between brilliance and badness, but when it's good, it's really good. Forget Fright Night, Vamp, Weird Science, The Breakfast Club or any other contemporary 80's teen movie. As good as they are (and some of them are really good), they don't hold a candle to The Lost Boys. Just where are all of these actors now? I haven't seen Jamison Newlander (who plays Allan Frog) in any other film, as well as Brooke McCarter and Billy Wirth (the two lost boys who aren't Sutherland and Alex Winter). Some of the scenes in this are brilliant, truly brilliant: the bit when The Lost Boys lead Michael (Jason Patric) to the edge of the cliff on his bike is superb, and the scene on the train bridge is genuinely creepy. Hey,the film's not perfect, who cares? For the most part this film makes my night. 80's entertainment at it's best!

THE BEST VAMPIRE MOVIE!!!

Author: JMG-2 from New York, NY
3 July 1999

"The Lost Boys" has to be the best vampire movie and probably my most favorite horror/comedy ever made.Everything about it shines from the Cave that was very well designed by Bo Welch to the acting and one-liners "we killed the one who looks like Twisted Sister" or "Death by Stereo".The great Soundtrack which I bought a week right after I saw the movie and still enjoy tops it all as the highlight of the film.This movies proves that Schumacher can actually direct as long as the movie doesn't have the name "BATMAN" on it, this movie was also way ahead of it's time with Great Special FX's for a 1987 movie.The recent horror/comedy movies(Scream,IKWYDLS,Urban Legend) will never even touch or compare to "The Lost Boys" till this day the movie still feels fresh and is just great to see.A must for any horror fan's video collection.

The original classic hip horror film.

Author: Dale-25 from Elgin, Illinois
22 October 1998

Long before Scream, there was The Lost Boys, the original hip and scary horror film. I haven't seen this film in years and when I saw it again recently, it still has the laughs and the total excitement it had over 10 years ago.