IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

One of the movies that defined my youth.

Author: Cycklops from United States
8 January 2004

I have no idea how to reconcile the Joel Schumacher who directed this moody, classic thriller with the idiot who would later ruin the Batman franchise.

But not to begin on a negative note. I think I first saw this movie when I was six or seven years old. Needless to say it scared the crap out of me and burned itself into a small part of my memory that it has occupied ever since. As I grew older, I came to understand the symbolism in the movie as well as it's amazing mood and feel.

Anyway, this film is about teenage rebellion. In this case, the oldest son falls in with the "wrong crowd" in a major way. But, as with many memorable movie, things are never that simple. You can feel the peer pressure that Michael is under when the group is all chanting his name and urging him to drink the bottle of blood. The presence of the beautiful girl in the group doesn't make things any easier either. I think a lot of us can put ourselves in Michael's position at 18 years old and know we'd probably cave in and fall into the situation just like he did.

What follows is a freaky journey into a reckless world beyond anything Michael or any other kid would ever truly experience. All set to a fantastic soundtrack. "Cry Little Sister" gets my nomination for best movie theme song ever. The movie truly creates it's own world and draws viewers in.

That being said...it's not absolutely perfect. The younger brother and his friends the Frog Brothers seem there purely for comic relief that is a little unnecessary. The whole thing with Max and the climax of the film is also a little rushed.

Regardless, however, this is one of the most memorable movies I've ever seen. If you haven't watched it, you absolutely have to rent it one night with your friends, family or significant other...make some popcorn, turn out the lights and spend 100 minutes immersed in this freaky little classic.

one of the best vampire movies

Author: CamaroLuvNgal84 from Georgia
28 December 2002

"The Lost Boys" is a great vampire movie. It isn't cliched like most vampire movies and it has a good story line. I like the fact that the vampires look like normal people until they attack and that's when they actually look like vampires (which freaked me out). Kiefer Sutherland was good in this movie. He was very creepy. Jason Patric also good and some nice eye candy too. The two Coreys were just cute and entertaining at trying to act tough. Well, I thought this was a very good vampire movie and it was actually watchable! I think most vampire movies these days are just plain stupid, over cliched, and just totally unwatchable. But I liked this one! It gave me chills and kept me on the edge of my seat. Well, thanks for reading my review! Bye!

The original classic hip horror film.

Author: Dale-25 from Elgin, Illinois
22 October 1998

Long before Scream, there was The Lost Boys, the original hip and scary horror film. I haven't seen this film in years and when I saw it again recently, it still has the laughs and the total excitement it had over 10 years ago.

One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires.

Author: Devin (d_e_v_i_n-1)
19 March 2005

Summary written by Kevin Ackley {kackley1@aol.com}: Financial troubles force a recent divorcée and her teenage sons Mike and Sam to settle down with her father in the California town of Santa Carla. At first, Sam laughs off rumours he hears about vampires who inhabit the small town. But after Mike meets a beautiful girl at the local amusement park, he begins to exhibit the classic signs of vampirism. Fearing for his own safety, Sam recruits two young vampire hunters to save his brother by finding and destroying the head vampire.

Joel Schumacher directs this comedy/horror film that doesn't displease. Corey Feldman and Kiefer Sutherland do an excellent job in this movie as do the other actors.

Growing up I watched this movie countless times.

Author: triple8 from Conn
2 April 2004

It didn't really stay with me but remains a movie I thought was wonderful growing up and were I to see it again I'd probebly enjoy it, though I doubt I'd go banannas over it like when I was a kid.

It's a nice fun young person vampire flick. I'm not a big fan of vampire movies but have seen a few-this is not a scary type movie, more a fun one of two boys who move to a small town on the west coast and get mixed up with a bunch of vampires. Best of all, this movie introduced me to Jason Patrick who's quite the talented actor. Many I know, became major fans of his, through this movie.

Lost boys is light, it's fun, pretty setting-decent acting-a gem for today's kids groing up who may not have seen it. I myself saw it so much as a kid I got horribly sick of it and vowed not to watch it again but I'll probebly see it once more in the future.

This movie is a must see for fans of vampire movies, it's no longer a favorite of mine at all, but a great movie for kids(actually all ages) and a fun quirky one-check it out if you haven't.

Stupendous! Simply stupendous!!

Author: CanadianBill from Canada
29 June 2014

The Lost Boys is quite simply one of the greatest achievements in film of the modern age of humanity. It is an understated masterpiece worthy of the cinematic genius of the likes of all the Oscar-worthy wonders of 1939 even, possibly greater.

Okay I'm just messing with you all. ha. Look, The Lost Boys is quite simply this: If you're into the whole 80's scene, love 80's movies, love horror and more particularly you love your horror vampire style and slightly flavoured with campy 80's goofiness, then you will absolutely love this film.

The two Coreys bring their usual A game to the affair, as does Keifer Sutherland. It's well-cast and about as well-acted as this level of writing allows for. The soundtrack to this movie in particular stands out for me, even today.

The whole vampire craze among movie fans is greater today than it was in the 80's, and although this film might pale by comparison to a lot that have come along since, it's still a fun watch and is actually one of the ones that over time is fun to watch again... which is something I can't say for a lot of other movies of it's time.

Just have fun with it, and don't take it too seriously or it will definitely leave you wanting.

6/10 + 1 for "Cry little sister" song = 7/10.

Such a classic, 80s vampire comedy-horror.

Author: The_Riddler_1948 from West Scotland, United Kingdom
26 June 2014

Dark, daring, haunting, humorous, lovable and somewhat intriguing; the Lost Boys is one of my most-loved comedy-horrors ever and it's full of fun, yet scary moments guaranteed to make you back off, or jump, depending on your age.

It's so fun - and the Frog brothers really make it great, they're just so awesome. The Lost Boys is very different; but it's great knowing it's an 80s film.

Superb comedy-horror with very unexpected and jumpy moments. It's a real classic and it's one of the greatest films of the 1980s; without a doubt.

9.5/10.

Sleep all day, party all night, never grow old, never die, it's fun to be a vampire...

Author: Amityville15 from England
10 May 2014

Michael and his younger brother Sam are all-American teens with all- American interests. But after they move to Santa Carla with their mother, things mysteriously begin ton change, Michael is not himself and mother isn't going to like what he is turning into.

The Lost Boys reshapes vampire tradition, deftly mixing heart-pounding terror and rib-tickling laughs with also a body-gyrating rock soundtrack.

This film starred: Jason Patric, Corey Haim, Corey Feldman & Kiefer Sutherland.

The Lost boys is a quality film and is one of my favourites, it's great. It's funny and so entertaining with a classic soundtrack and great actors. The Lost Boys is easily one of the best films ever made. I highly recommend the Lost Boys as I promise you will enjoy it.

*****/***** Outstanding.

Manages to Effectively Combine Comedy with Horror

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
24 April 2014

This is one of those films that manages to effectively combine comedy with horror to yield a pretty enjoyable movie. Essentially, a mother by the name of "Lucy" (Dianne Wiest) and her two sons, "Michael" (Jason Patric) and "Sam" (Corey Haim) have left Phoenix and have just arrived at her father's house in Santa Clara, California. That night Michael sees a beautiful woman who goes by the name of "Star" (Jamie Gertz) and decides to make her acquaintance. However, after following her he encounters a gang of bikers led by a man named "David" (Kiefer Sutherland) with whom Star happens to hang out with. But these are no ordinary bikers. Meanwhile, Sam encounters two boys in a comic book store named "Edgar Frog" (Corey Feldman) and "Alan Frog" (Jamison Newlander) who claim to be vampire hunters and after giving Sam their phone number tell him to pray that he never needs to call them. At any rate, as I stated earlier this was a pretty good movie which mixes action, suspense and comedy together very well. And while there are a few minor plot holes here and there I still found it quite entertaining and have rated it as slightly above average.

Before "Twilight" there was... Cheese-Fest – with extra garlic!

Author: ozjeppe from Åby, Sweden
27 March 2014

80's teen flick crossed with modern day-vampire horror: Two brothers move to Californian coastal town, plagued by vicious, hedonistic vampire pack. Conflicts ensue. In some quarters, this is reported as a cult movie. More straight to the point: this is a vampire story for the VERY noncritical Nickelodeon crowd, that more or less defines the decade in everything, from music soundtrack to fashion, sets and music-video visuals.

Innocuous and nostalgia-inducing, to be sure, but still an obvious-at-every-turn, grand cheese-fest (Feldman's lingo, the beach concert, the obligatory romance... oh, brother!) that actually might work better if viewed as a straight comedy, because turkey laughs are plentiful. Too bad the bits MEANT to be funny, aren't particularly so for anyone over 14, either! Best thing in it is Sutherland, who makes quite an impressive vampire gang leader. So, yes – before "Twilight" there was this... Cheese-Fest – with extra, extra garlic!

–"Death by stereo!!" Oh, you did not just seriously say that, Corey Haim, did you? Corey??

3/10 from Ozjeppe.