The Lost Boys (1987) Poster

(1987)

355 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Masterpiece! The greatest Vampire flick ever made!!!!
ivo-cobra88 November 2015
The Lost Boys (1987) is one of the best and the greatest vampire flick's ever made! A true Schumacher masterpiece and a classic horror film! I love The Lost Boys so much, it is one of the best true horror movies ever made from the 80's! I always loved this movie since I was a child and the vampires in here are awesome! It encompasses everything that was so silly and cheesy and fun about the 80's. The hair, the clothes, the music, the attitude - it seemed like nobody ever took themselves too seriously in that time. Hell, look at Tim Capello's cameo in the movie, for Christ's sake! Super oiled-up buff sax-playing dude in tight purple spandex? Only in the 80's!

The story is about Michael (Jason Patric) and his brother Sam (Corey Haim) who move together with their mother to stay with their grandfather in Santa Carla, California. One day Michael meets a girl and falls for her to know later that she is with a gang of guys who are vampires. They give him wine mixed with blood and Michael drinks it without knowing what it contains. Things change for Michael and he finds out the truth. He tries his best to resist the urge of becoming a vampire and fights it with the help of his brother Sam. This vampire movie is the epitome of excellent humor/horror. Just when you are sitting on the edge of your seat getting ready for the next scary scene you get a joke or a snide remark. As you are relaxed by the humor, you get hit with a nail bitter of a scary scene. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard; some of my favorite music came from this soundtrack.

One of my favorite movies that I ever love a true classic, I think for once Joel Schumacher did a great job as the director, He screwed up Batman & Robin (1997) but he made this movie right! This film is probably the best vampire movie I have ever seen, one of my favorites and the soundtrack was awesome loved Cry Little Sister and all of the tracks. The cast all around was very solid too I think probably the best cast for a vampire movie yet. I miss the 80's classic films, like one of them was Fright Night (1985) this movie is released 2.years later and it is another Vampire movie and right behind him. Gosh I want more Vampire flicks from the 80's like this one is. The Lost Boys is like Twilight of it's late 80's day. The difference between the two is that Lost Boys is a rock-n-roll vampire flick mixed with some goofy humor to make it the cult classic is has become ever since it came and went from theaters to VHS.

In this film are famous stars like are Jason Patric, Corey Haim, Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer from 24 (2001) TV show, one of my all time favorite TV shows. Corey Feldman and of course Alex Winter he played in Death Wish 3, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and it's sequel Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey gosh I miss those movies. Why can't they make movies like are this ones today? The Lost Boys, Fright Night, Death Wish 3, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey are classic movies where are they now?

Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire. When a single mother and her two sons move to the sleepy seaside California town of Santa Clara, they discover much more than they anticipated in this visually stunning blend of hip humor, horror and rock 'n' roll about the most compelling group of contemporary vampires ever to put fang to vein. That is actually the basic plot of the film!

The Lost Boys is a 1987 American horror comedy film starring Jason Patric, Corey Haim, Kiefer Sutherland, Jami Gertz, Corey Feldman, Dianne Wiest, Edward Herrmann, Alex Winter, Jamison Newlander, and Barnard Hughes.

Anyway I am giving this film a 10/10 because the film deserves it and it doesn't deserve to be bashed and hated from people! I love this film to death I love it!!!
22 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Excellent, Stylish 80's Flick
The Lost Boys is one of the movies that I think epitomizes the 1980's. It has a genuine 80's look and feel, as well as an awesome soundtrack and some fantastic performances by 80's legends like Corey Feldman.

This movie really draws you into it and makes you feel like you're right there in Santa Carla. The music fits the film perfectly. Nothing would have worked better. The setting is perfect. If you were a vampire and you were never going to die, where else would you want to spend your time? The amusement park, the abandoned cave with all that great stuff in it, and the railroad tracks (trust me, you'll understand after you see it) are absolutely incredible. The way Joel Schumacher uses certain POV shots and the eerie fog only add to the mood and atmosphere of the movie.

The gore and special effects are great! Since this is an 80's movie, there is no CGI thankfully, so everything you see is really real. The make-up of the vampires is excellent with their piercing eyes and long fangs. The gore doesn't really show itself until the end, though there is a very bloody (but quick) campfire attack in the middle. Once we do get to the blood and guts, it's great! There's a melting vampire in holy water, an exploding vampire, two excellent impalings, and more where that came from.

Finally, the acting is great. We have a very good cast, especially Kiefer Sutherland, who puts everyone else to shame. Jason Patric is a little dry, but he's great in his role. Max and Lucy have good chemistry, as well as Star and Michael. The Frog Brothers are classic and are responsible for most of the humor. Superb performances by all!

The Bottom Line:

A true 80's flick, with great performances, awesome special effects, a rocking soundtrack, and Corey Feldman!!!
52 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"We trashed the one that looks like Twisted Sister!"
scenario6 September 2006
Haha, that line makes me laugh every time, just for how old school 80s it is. Not to mention the vampire that the kids just "trashed" didn't really look like Twisted Sister as he did more of a generic 80s pop metal dude. Middle school life in the late 80s (junior high back then) had some movies that were almost universally thought of as "cool". Some of these were Predator, Coming to America, Top Gun (yeah I said Top Gun), Big, and of course The Lost Boys. TLB was so popular with kids, I remember knowing the details of the plot before I had ever seen the movie.

Two kids named Sam (Corey Haim) and Michael (Jason Patric) move to Santa Carla, CA with their mother in hopes of a new life. Sam is looking to just have some fun and find a cable hook up for MTV, while his older brother Michael gets involved with some teenage vampire punk kids. Michael is slowly being recruited into the vampire clique that hangs around the boardwalk, while Sam desperately tries to turn him back to a normal human with the help of the overzealous Frog Brothers (Corey Feldman and some other guy).

Slick, stylish and shot like an 80s music video, this movie was a lot of fun. A few of the 1987 fashions here are enough to make this movie illegal in a some countries, but the hip feel of the film keeps it from being too dated. Well, in my opinion anyway, some kid today might think different. Afterall this movie is nearly 20 years old. Typing that just made me feel very, very old. Anyway the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous, director Joel Schumacher especially knows how to shoot night scenes. This film was both a horror and a comedy at the same time, though I'm not sure which I preferred. Any movie that features both Corey Haim and Corey Feldman is going to be one that you can't take very seriously. If you don't know who these two guys are, better you never find out. Just watch the movie. Keep an ear out for INXS, Run DMC and The Doors.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny, fast and fun to watch.
Aaron13759 May 2003
This movie to me is more of a comedy than a horror. The scenes I remember most are the funny ones. Not to say it is a pure comedy, it isn't. It is though a very good vampire tale. The cast is superb, even Corey Haim and Feldman. This is definitely the best movie they did together. This one has a family of three (a mother and two sons) moving into her dad's home. They go around town and the younger one hears from some comic book workers that there are vampires in town. The older son is in fact being recruited by said vampires and is already becoming one after drinking a strange liquid. All in all I love this film and it is one of my favorite vampire flicks. Good mixture of action, horror, and especially for me...comedy. This movie is so very well made that you will find it hard to believe that the director of this would go on to make the pretty bad "Batman and Robin". This movie though is good, and has one of the best ending lines of any movie.
63 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sex, blood and rock-n-roll!
Kristine11 June 2002
One thing I can always promise you is that when people talk about the best vampire movies of all time, The Lost Boys is guaranteed to be on their list. In the 1980's, films were all about action, sex appeal, muscles and very good looking teenagers. Joel Schumacher, who was starting out at the time, was given the script and it was about kid vampires. He thought it sounded silly and offered a different idea of it being teenage vampires on motorcycles; who knew he had one of the best ideas that would create such a huge cult classic for decades? I absolutely adore this movie, everything about it: it's style, the script, the humor, the horror, the make up, the cast and the music. While dated, it still has a timeless fun style to it that will entertain those who are seeing it for the first time as if it was the opening weekend at the movie theater. I've watched this movie since I was a little girl and it's interesting to see that I still love The Lost Boys so much, as an adult I have a different love for it than "the boys are sooo cute!", well, they still are, but besides the point, The Lost Boys is a great movie that will not disappoint.

Michael and his younger brother, Sam, move with their just-divorced mother, Lucy, to Santa Carla, plagued by gang activity and unexplained disappearances, what better place to take your children?! The family moves in with Lucy's father, an eccentric old man who lives on the outskirts of town, and enjoys taxidermy as a hobby. The center of town life is the Boardwalk, which is plastered with flyers of missing people. While Lucy gets a job at a local video store run by a conservative man named Max, Michael becomes fascinated by Star, a beautiful young woman who lives with the mysterious leader of the local gang, David. Meanwhile, in the local comic book store, Sam meets brothers Edgar and Alan Frog, self-proclaimed vampire hunters who give Sam horror comics to teach him about vampires. When Michael meets Star the next night, David provokes him into a motorcycle race, in which he is baited into almost going over the edge of a sea cliff. David invites Michael to their lair, where he is put through an unsettling initiation that includes drinking blood from a wine bottle. The next night, while Sam takes a bath, his dog, Nanook, is forced to fend off Michael's bloodlust-driven attack on Sam. When Sam looks for his dog, he finds his brother has been attacked, but also that Michael's reflection in a mirror has become transparent. Sam calls the Frog brothers for help, they say the only way to save his brother is by killing the head vampire who they suspect is Max, Lucy's boss and new boyfriend.

It's hard to pin point what is so great about this movie. I love the cast, starting with Kiefer Sutherland who plays David, the lead of the Lost Boys. He has only a few lines, but you'd think he was the title character the way he presents himself, you can tell he had so much fun with this bad boy role. Dianne Wiest, one of my favorite actresses, what a beautiful lovely woman she is, her character is so warm and wonderful. She plays a great mom and is so believable the way she reacts to the situations she's put in by her crazy sons. This was also the start of "The Two Corey's", Corey Haim and Corey Feldman who had great chemistry along side with Jamison Newlander as they are hunting for vampires. They're like Rambo's who take themselves way too seriously and that's why they are so hilarious but great at what they do. The make up effects are just great and the vampires had such a sleek sexy look to them but still terrifying; the scene where they show Michael their vampire faces is one of the most memorable and most frightening. This is without a doubt the sexiest vampire movie you could watch. It has everything a vampire film should have to entertain. I still love showing this movie to my friends who never saw it, I envy the look on their faces at the end when they fall in love with it too as I wish I could say I was seeing it for the first time too. But I watch it each time and love it as if I were watching it for the first time, it's a fantastic movie, I could go on and on, but I'll just end with: please watch this movie. You better be buying this movie right now as you're finished reading this comment.

83 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
When you're strange...
minipistola7 July 2003
I loved this film as a kid and it has always stayed at the top of my vampire genre list, you could bet I was plenty surprised when I found out that this little jewel of 80's cinema was directed by the now yawn worthy "Phone Booth" helmer, Joel Scumacher (the man who massacred the "Batman" franchise).

The best element of this movie is that fact that it doesn't take itself very seriously, but in no way does that effect the relative creepiness of the main storyline. The makeup is top notch, as are the special effects and the acting is a perfect fit to the context of the film. Yeah, Corey Haim may not be a Dean or Brando, but he is pitch perfect as the annoying little brother who talks big and runs fast in the face of trouble. Jason Patrick is as good as an actor could possibly be in a role that requires very little character development but the big star here is Kiefer Sutherland who channels his "scary bad boy" look into a character who is as fun to watch as he is frightening. Rounding out the rest of the cast is Dianne Wiest as the sweet mother, Corey Haim and Edward Hermann as the vampire killing duo Edgar and Alan (a cute Poe reference) Frog and 80's movie staple Jamie Gertz as the gypsy-esque Star.(sidenote: Yes that is Alex Winter of "Bill and Ted" fame as one of the lesser vampires)

The film has many memorable scenes including the vampire initiation and the scene where Patrick first approaches his brother in vampire form. Though the 80's fashion and music are powerful throughout they borderline overdone and are still enjoyable. Plotwise the set up is acceptable: Wiest and her two sons(Patrick and Haim) move into her father's house in Santa Carla, California, a quaint little beach side town that has been suffering from a high homicide rate. While mom looks for a job the boys look for something to do, Patrick setting his sights on the alluring Star and Haim settling into the local comic den, both fail to notice the ridiculous amount of "MISSING" posters on the walls. Patrick is led astray by a group of youths who like to drag race and hang out in a cave, eventually peer pressure rears its ugly head and soon enough Patrick is one of them. Then he finds out exactly why they only hang out after dark.

Full of great one liners and comedic performances (Barnard Hughes is great as the eccentric taxidermist/grandfather) "The Lost Boys" is a film showcased by the small touches: we still have the usual vampire yarn, but the youthful overtones create a different effect. Yes its 80's but its damn fun to watch. Schumacher creates a film that is not only a fun take on vampires but a creative take on teenagers and their neverending trek to belong.

Reccommended to those who have a sense of humor and enjoy vampire films.

8 out of 10.
33 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What THESE guys would have done to Captain Hook!
uds329 March 2002
OK everyone agrees THE LOST BOYS was way ahead of its time. Dead set right! In essence it hasn't aged at all, only the fashions! By far Corey Haim's best flick, Cory Feldham's too, although I rather liked TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (The original, that is)

Schumacher's concept of placing the vampire myth in sleepyville USA was commendable, it really worked. Sutherland took his role in both teeth and gave us a stylish vampire-on-a-Harley with Jami Gertz in tow. God does SHE look young here compared to her role as Bill Paxton's neurotic fiancee in TWISTER?)

Absolutely outstanding soundtrack that my kids have totally worn out the last decade or so. As a family we have probably watched THE LOST BOYS more than any other film. Everything gels, gr8 fx and, given the subject matter, a literate script.

Deserving of the relatively high rating it has received here. WE have the same problem here in Castle Hill, WAY too many damn vampires!
81 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Schumacher mocks the shoes off vampires!
theb_ronster25 November 2004
Without a doubt, among the most brilliant of vampire movies ever made, in the modern film era. Jason Patric and Kiefer Sutherland are destined to blow away all audiences of this visual masterpiece. However, the twist at the end, which I plan not to give away, was made slightly obvious, though well hidden at the same time. Joel Schumacher does a splendid job directing this true work of art. The frog brothers did a great job of adding humor to this otherwise, mainly serious film, without spoiling the suspense. That made the film far more enjoyable to people with interests in multiple genres. Jami Gertz looks absolutely attractive in her role as Star. However, the show is undoubtedly stolen by Kiefer Sutherland, in the role of David, the rebellious, dangerous, rude and rambunctious, teenaged vampire, who seduces Michael (Jason Patric) into joining his gang of vampires. The story is of a woman (Dianne Wiest), and her two sons, Sam (Corey Haim) and Michael (Patric), who move to a small Californian town, called Santa Carla, often referred to as the murder capital of the world, to live with her father after getting divorced. Little to their knowledge, the town happens to be inhabited by a motorcycle gang of Jim Morrison obsessed, teenage vampires. While the mother begins to fall in love with her boss from the video store, where she has been employed, Sam spends his time reading vampire comics, which were given to him by two brothers (Corey Feldman, Jamison Newlander), who claim the town is infested by vampires. He does not believe them, but grows to almost immediately, upon realizing that his brother, Michael, has been seduced by the beautiful half-vampiress, Star (Gertz), and joins the gang, led by David (Sutherland). He realizes that neither Star nor Michael are true vampire until they make their first kill, and they will not become normal again until the head vampire is killed. So, he calls up the brothers Frog, and gets them to come in and help him solve the job, though he is scared that he might have to kill his brother. Overall, a cinematic masterpiece. The directing, acting, writing, camera work, special effects, stunts and, of course, the epic cinematography work with the astounding score to bring together one of the most loved films of all time. The story is in fact an allegory to that of the lost boys of Neverland, from Peter Pan. A contemporary, without the temporary, classic.
88 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great 80s fun!
There are many films about vampires, but one that is almost always remembered with a shy smile on the face is definitely "The Lost Boys". As one of the best remembered films of the 80s, this movie has become part of pop culture and a defining film for that period as it showcases most of what was cool or hip in that decade. While its status as "horror classic" has a lot to do with the nostalgic factor, it's an entertaining film on its own right and its modernization of the vampire myth along with its tongue in cheek humor still make for a charming and funny session of pure mindless entertainment.

The movie begins with Lucy Emerson (Dianne Wiest) as she moves to Santa Clara, California, with her two teenager sons, Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim) after a bitter divorce. In Santa Clara, Michael becomes involved with a local gang of bikers who have a dark and mysterious secret while Sam becomes friends with two weird boys who claim that the town is being invaded by vampires and its their mission to get rid of them. As Michael begins to act strange, Sam suspects that his brother has become one of the undead and begins to take his friends seriously.

Directed by Joel Schumacher, "The Lost Boys" is a movie that effectively combines a cool and attractive look with a simple but entertaining plot resulting in a successful and charming film. The story modernizes classic elements of the vampire myth and adapts it to its time with intelligence and definitely tongue in cheek humor. In fact, this self-aware comedy approach is what makes the film enjoyable, and it relies more on fun and laughs than in actual scares. The plot is rather simple, and lacks some character development, but it makes an interesting (although also quite simplistic) analogy between the troubles of youth and becoming a vampire.

Visually the movie looks great, although by now it has that dated nostalgic look of a past decade. Still, the flamboyant visual composition fits perfectly in the film's time and context and it is one of the films biggest assets. Schumacher's fluid and energetic camera-work makes the movie flow at with a nice rhythm and the movie never becomes dull or boring.

The cast is very effective and everyone makes a great job. Corey Haim is remarkably good and while he may not be a good actor, in this film he is perfect for the role of Sam. Jason Patric is less lucky and he is overshadowed by the very talented Kiefer Sutherland, who steals every scene with his charm and presence. Jami Gertz gives a somewhat forgettable performance but veterans Dianne Wiest and Edward Herrmann are both excellent in their roles and have some funny lines.

"The Lost Boys" suffers a lot from its own self-referential nature, it looks old and severely dated by now even when it's 20 years ago when it was released for the first time. The cleverly written plot is very entertaining, but somehow the lack of character development and the comedy take on the story make it to never reach its full potential. The premise is quite interesting but the "Lost Boys" theme is never fully explored leaving at a nice but a bit shallow experience.

Definitely most of the charm of "The Lost Boys" is due to nostalgia, as the movie is now basically a time capsule of the 80s. However, it is hard to deny that despite being what one would call a "popcorn movie", in its time it was an intelligent, original and fresh take on vampires. While it may not be a landmark of horror of a life-changing experience, "The Lost Boys" is one of those films that will definitely deliver what they promise: a healthy dose of mindless entertainment.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
flawless
destroyedcelluloid7 September 2003
Browsing through IMDB I was shocked to see this film has only scored 6.7! The brilliance of this film is undescribable, I first saw it when I was about 11. It changed me! I wanted to be a teenage vampire and live forever! I have probably since seen this film more than any other, I haven't a bad word about it. Fantastic effects, acting, writing, and the music, believe me you'll be straight out to buy the soundtrack once you've seen this, and play it as if it was one of your favourite albums. Everyone is great in this film but Feldman was born for this part, he's like an older version of 'Mouth' from The Goonies, in many ways this film like an older brother to Goonies and cousin of American Werewolf. They truly don't make movies like this anymore, they finished in the 80's (Gremlins, Fright Night, American Werewolf in London, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, I'm sure there's more...). What more can I say?
76 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jessica Carvalho3 January 2006
I think it's an absurd the low rating to ''The Lost Boys'' here in IMDb. This movie is one of the vampire classics from the 80's and one of the best vampire movies ever made!Michael,Lucy and Sam, the Emerson's family, are moving to a new and smaller town in California called Santa Carla. The reasons of this change of cities was financial problems and the fact that Lucy wants to give a better life to her sons. There they are living with Lucy's dad, and Santa Carla who looked such a calm city looks to be, in fact, a vampire territory. Michael, Lucy's older son, starts to like Star, a girl who is almost a complete vampire as David, the leader of their group. Michael, mostly because of Star, became a vampire as well, and many problems starts, since Sam made friendship with Edgar and Alan, two brothers who are also vampire hunters.

This movie is VERY good, and all vampire fans should watch!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All hail the '80s!
nichol_storm14 April 2003
When their mother Lucy (an appealing Dianne Wiest) divorces their father, brothers Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim) find themselves dragged across the country to their grouchy grandfather's house in Santa Carla, California. Not only is it a wooden shack, it's filled with taxidermied animals and -- horror! -- doesn't have TV. If that was the sole sum of their problems, then this would be a pretty dull movie.

Fortunately, Michael attends a concert in which he notices a beautiful flame-haired girl named Star (Jami Gertz). She likes him, he likes her, the cheesy '80s soundtrack swells. Much to Michael's dismay, however, he finds she's running with a biker gang led by David (Kiefer Sutherland, sporting the most serious "business up top, party on the bottom" haircut I've ever seen). Trying to get closer to Star, Michael falls in with David's gang and after imbibing a bottlefull of wine that looks suspiciously like blood, he begins to realize something's up when he starts levitating and trying to drink his brother's blood.

Meanwhile, Sam meets the Frog Brothers who are serious and professional vampire hunters despite being all of thirteen years old. In order to save Michael from vamping out permanently, they have to track the lead vampire to his lair and stake him. Easier said than done!

This is a great movie. Not "Citizen Kane" great, of course, or even "Titanic" great, but marvelous cheesy fun that's somehow of better quality than it deserves to be. The comedy is genuinely funny, the horror is genuinely scary, and the romance falls genuinely flat, but hey! you can't win 'em all. Jason Patric is at his youngest, prettiest, and most Jim Morrison-esque as Michael, and is a darn good actor to boot. I'll never understand why he never made the leap to big-time star. Spike from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: the Series" is such an obvious rip-off of Kiefer Sutherland's David that it's not even funny. Kiefer did the 'charming, charismatic, leather-clad vampire bad-boy with the peroxide-blond hair and more of a heart than you might expect' thing first, and did it better, IMHO.

Okay, so the '80s fashion and haircuts may be scarier than the vampires, but this is still a fine little flick that should be seen at least once, if for no better reason than to bask in the beauty of Jason Patric and Kiefer Sutherland in their youthful glory. And if you don't go that way, you still have Jami Gertz to provide the attractive female eye candy. So check it out, and if you're like me, it'll leave you wishing for that sequel they planned but never made (curse you, film gods! It's not too late -- what have Corey Haim and Corey Feldman done since this movie? They could return for the sequel!)
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Undoubtedly one of the best
mjw230523 January 2005
I watched this again yesterday, after not seeing it for years. I expected to see its age, but i didn't. Very few films could boast this, in the world of visual effects that we live in now. Its not just the effects though, its everything, the script is still fresh, the characters still seem current and the story could still surprise new viewers. The only thing i was sure wouldn't age was the soundtrack and of course it hasn't.

So for anyone who wants to see how a vampire movie should be made, check this out, it is still one of the best around.

8/10 Brilliant
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best movies of the 80's.
faithmbc20 July 2003
I LOVE this movie! The Lost Boys is a movie I can sink my teeth into! Summary: Michael(Jason Patric)and Sam(Corey Haim)have just moved to Santa Carla, California with their mother(Dianne Wiest), and into the house of their lovable Grandpa(Barnard Hughes). During the nights in which they spend their time at an amusement park, Michael starts following an attractive girl named Star(Jami Gertz), and is introduced to her boyfriend, David(Kiefer Sutherland), and his gang of punks. Sam starts hanging out with Edgar(Corey Feldman) and Allen(Jamison Newlander)Frog who claim to be vampire hunters. Soon, odd things start happening at home with Michael, and no prizes to who guesses what's happening! The Lost Boys is an awesome vampire movie with cool flashes of the 80's, and an awesome soundtrack! 7/10.

Rated R for Vampire violence, language, and suggestive sexuality.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Delight!
Elswet27 October 2003
Corey Haim is excellent (for once) in this Joel Schumacher comedy/horror.

There are two gangs which run the boardwalk of Santa Carla at night. One is a lawless bunch of wannabe bikers, the other is a blood-thirsty group of vampires boys. This movie omits the gag war which ensues throughout the literary work, but still manages to be a lovable and highly-liked production.

In my opinion, the reason behind this huge likability of this comedy/horror by the man who killed Batman (Yes, this is the same man who directed Batman 3 & 4), is the casting. In all fairness to Mr. Schumacher, he also directed "Bad Company," which I found absolutely delightful, and "Phone Booth," which I found compelling and highly entertaining.

These actors were perfectly cast in their roles, which lent a most endearing quality and a sense of something right, to this endeavor, which lacks in so many others. (Like Batman 3 & 4.) The soundtrack was perhaps the true star of this production, as it was literally the best part of the movie. However, the performances were professional, witty, and realistically offered by these veteran actors.

Another element omitted from this work, is the fact that Grampa was a veteran/retired Vampire Hunter, which explains his fortuitous entry at the end of this movie.

This star-studded cast each did his/her part to lend to this work a complete believability inside this dark fantasy. Some critics have labeled this movie as "pure camp," and while the "Frog Brothers" did lend a campy element to this production, the movie itself was of a good quality and deserves the recognition and following it enjoys. Their manes, Edgar and Alan Frog are an obvious alludiation to Edgar Alan Poe, and is thereby acceptable camp as the homagic element in its purest form.

Some of the scenes found within are quite compelling, dramatic, and portrayed with veteran talent; ie: the scene where David (Keefer Sutherland) opens the ancient, ornate bottle containing the blood from which Michael must drink. It is perhaps ~the~ most compelling scene found within this movie. There are some edge-of-your-seat moments, good sound comedic elements, and an otherwise all around solid story to be found here.

The sets were excellent, the effects were horrifically believable, and the characters were well developed enough as to give the audience a good dose of concern for the principal participants. The addition of "Laddie" on the milk carton shows the level of detail and care given to this attempt, and again, the soundtrack just adds so much as the songs are fitting and right with each scene, carrying the audience from one scene to the next in smooth dissolves. Very well done.

I found the love interest between Michael and Star to be sweet, desperate, and tragic, as I believe it was meant to be. The fact that she chose to make love to Michael rather than feed from him was significant within the story line, as was Max's asking for Michael's invitation before he would enter the house, and as was Grampa's distasteful curl of the lip at Max's doing so.

Very well done production which highly deserves the kudos it's been given. I cannot say this movie was "scary," but it was suspenseful, funny, heart-warming, creative, and extremely regaling.

A remake would be in order, I think, within the next 10 years or so. It would be nice to expound on the gang wars a bit more, and give a better character treatment to Grampa in this one. And even though I am a fan of this original work, a little more true horror and less comedy would not hurt my feelings in the least. Although, it will be very hard, in my opinion, to recast the role of "Sam." This, again in my opinion, was Haim's best portrayal in any role to date.

It rates an 8.9/10 from...

the Fiend :.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Vampire Movie for Anyone Who's Sick of Vampire Movies
Jenna Blake Morris16 September 2014
It was the late 2000s, and the inexplicable Twilight frenzy had descended in all its sparkling, full-forced madness. I'm sure we all remember the ensuing scramble to vault onto the paranormal bandwagon, and how quickly the media became glutted with all things supernatural. So it goes without saying that when my mom dragged out a vampire movie, I wasn't thrilled.

But I guess that's just another example why people go around saying "Mother knows best."

The vampire movie was director Joel Schumacher's 1987 film The Lost Boys, and it's now one of my favorite movies. Despite the fact that it's over thirty years old and has been followed by a tidal wave of movies and books on the same subject, The Lost Boys remains a fresh, unique take on vampire lore.

Unlike many recent paranormal stories, the film doesn't try to turn its subject completely on its head in order to carve out an original place for itself. The vampires are dangerous, careless, and strangely magnetic--in keeping with their roots. However, they've also been updated, given a modern edge. Rather than stuffy Transylvanians skulking in castles, they're a motorcycle gang racing around the cliffs of California. Instead of red-lined capes, they wear leather and piercings.

The film opens with brothers Michael (played by Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim)--plus their mom--moving to California to live with their grandfather. Their mother begins seeing a new man, and Michael (the older brother) soon falls in with the aforementioned motorcycle gang. Meanwhile, Sam passes his time with comic books. At the local comic shop, he meets two boys his own age. They introduce themselves as the Frog brothers and warn him that the area has a vampire problem, explaining that they're vampire hunters.

Sam doesn't exactly take their words to heart, but before long, he needs to. The motorcycle gang pressures Michael into drinking from a bottle of "wine" as an initiation rite. He downs it without realizing it's actually blood. However, because he hasn't killed anyone yet, he only becomes a half-vampire. With some help from the Frog brothers (Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander), Sam and Michael learn that Michael's vampirism will be reversed if they kill the leader of the vampire gang (Kiefer Sutherland).

Plenty of great story elements follow. There's a little bit of something for everyone: plot twists, action, romance, humor--and even water guns filled with holy water. For me, however, one of the most compelling things is the dynamic between Sam and Michael. It's never heavy-handed or all that sentimental—"No chick flick moments," as Supernatural's Dean Winchester famously insisted—but the brothers' relationship is at the core of the movie. Their bonds with their mother and grandfather are also fleshed out, giving the film a strong, family-centric backbone.

Then, of course, there are the vampires: the eternally young "lost boys" the title refers to. For quite a while now, it's seemed like vampires have progressively been getting watered down. This one strolls through sunlight. This one's actually a really nice guy, if you give him a chance. That one drinks from Bambi, for Pete's sake. After being bombarded by all that, I was relieved to find vampires who could be menacing again.

My only complaint is the relationship between Michael and another of the half-vampires, a girl named Star. While she's the one who gets him involved with the gang in the first place, I don't feel like their relationship adds anything to the movie. It seems more the studio tossed it in because they felt like a potential Hollywood hit would need some romance in the mix. However, I think that time could've been put to better use by focusing it more on the vampires themselves, or on brothers' relationship with each other or with their grandpa. All in all, this is one of my go-to favorites for recommendations or movie nights. The horror, action, and humor strike a great balance, and aside from the '80s hair and some of Sam's fashion choices, this one stands the test of time beautifully. If nothing else, it's a blissful reprieve from all the sparkling and humanity of today's vampires—a nod to tradition without bending backwards for it. I recommend this film as the vampire movie for anyone who's sick of vampire movies--because that's exactly what it was for me.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Extremely Entertaining Vampire Movie (SPOILERS)
I_Am_The_Taylrus29 August 2007
SPOILERS

Well, I have finally seen the iconic horror film that is the Lost Boys. After the painful experience I had with the Two Coreys, I never wanted to lay my eyes on Corey Haim and Corey Feldman ever again, but I was interested in seeing this film. I put my anger at them aside and watched this film. I really enjoyed this movie, actually, and I think I am able to forgive Haim and Feldman over their awful "reality show." They are actually pretty good in this film, as well as Jason Patric, Barnard Hughes as the unsettling but humorous grandpa. and Kiefer Sutherland. Speaking of Kiefer, I think he is exceptionally creepy in this film. He may always be creepy, but still, he was fantastic in this film. However, I do believe that Jami Gertz was a little robotic as Star, but she was overall okay. I still do not know why this film was rated R. There was nothing that bad in it. It deserved a PG-13 rating. The soundtrack of this movie is also very good and entertaining to just hear. From the Doors to the spooky theme song Cry Little Sister, this film is jam packed with memorable songs from the eighties.

Here is the plot of the Lost Boys. Lucy Emerson and her two sons named Sam and Michael move in with the sons' grandpa to the town named Santa Carla. At a carnival Michael meets Star, who is a member of a motorcycle gang, lead by David. To become a member of the gang, Michael must do a number of strange things, including jumping into the fog and even drinking blood. Michael then starts to change. He begins wearing sunglasses all the time in the sun, sleeping all day and going out in the night, and more. Sam begins to think that he is a vampire after he is given a vampire comic book by two vampire hunters named Edgar and Allen. After it has become apparent that the gang is made up of vampires, they try to find the leader of the vampires. Sam suspects Lucy's boyfriend, Max, but they then doubt that. Edgar, Allen, and Sam then make a plan to kill the vampire gang. They, with the help of Michael, destroy the gang, but then find out that Max is the lead vampire. When Max tries to kill Lucy, grandpa then kills Max.

Overall, this is a down-right awesome vampire movie. This is the first of its kind about teenage vampires and after a barrage of countless rip-offs, this is still the best of the best. The make-up on the vampires is fantastic, the directing by Joel Schumacher is solid and creepy, and the writing can be light-hearted, funny, and scary, not necessarily at the same time in the script, though. This may not be the scary but today's standards, but that does not mean that this is not a bad film at all. Anyway, this is a must-see horror film that is sure to entertain anybody.

Recommended Films: Dracula.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The vampire movie of the 80's!
Darth-Helmet10 November 2004
A mother ( Dianne West) with two sons ( Jason Patric and Corey Haim) have moved into San Carlas California, but one night while checking out the local amusement area the older son Michael meets a gang of vampires led by David ( Keither Sutherland) and go out to drain the blood from people and two comic book experts ( Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander) know the secrets of the vampires.

This happens to be the best vampire movie made in the 80's next to " Fright Night" directed by Joel Schumacher. The casting is good, the make-up and vampire effects by Greg Cannom are great, acting's good and it's a very entertaining, gory and hip yet comical horror thriller that takes the vampire genre on a new 80's spin.

I strongly recommend this movie to every horror and vampire fan out there but it's only owning in the new 2-Disc DVD special edition with great extras, it's a class act movie of it's genre.

Also recommended: " Fright Night", "Vamp", " Fright Night 2", "Evil Dead II", " Demons", " The Forsaken", " Bram Stoker's Dracula", " Vampire Hunter D", " The Craft", " An American Werewolf in London", "From Dusk Till Dawn", " The Toxic Avenger", " Rabid", " Shaun of the Dead", " The Evil Dead", "Re-Animator", " Bordello of Blood", " Dracula ( 1931)", " Near Dark", " Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust", " Blood: The Last Vampire", " Ghost Ship", " Freddy Vs. Jason", " Bride of Chucky", " Cemetery Man".

10/10.
24 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I don't get it?
wmac4 October 1999
Maybe I'm missing something, but why does everyone love this movie? Is it the comic book approach? I KNOW it's not the "Coreys", 'cause that would be downright nutty. I know it's not the effects, 'cause they're lame. I know its not the comedy, because its not funny, and I know its not the fright factor, 'cause it's not scary...WHAT MAKES THIS A GOOD MOVIE??
18 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Growing up I watched this movie countless times.
triple82 April 2004
It didn't really stay with me but remains a movie I thought was wonderful growing up and were I to see it again I'd probebly enjoy it, though I doubt I'd go banannas over it like when I was a kid.

It's a nice fun young person vampire flick. I'm not a big fan of vampire movies but have seen a few-this is not a scary type movie, more a fun one of two boys who move to a small town on the west coast and get mixed up with a bunch of vampires. Best of all, this movie introduced me to Jason Patrick who's quite the talented actor. Many I know, became major fans of his, through this movie.

Lost boys is light, it's fun, pretty setting-decent acting-a gem for today's kids groing up who may not have seen it. I myself saw it so much as a kid I got horribly sick of it and vowed not to watch it again but I'll probebly see it once more in the future.

This movie is a must see for fans of vampire movies, it's no longer a favorite of mine at all, but a great movie for kids(actually all ages) and a fun quirky one-check it out if you haven't.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thankfully Lost Boys Doesn't Take Itself Very Seriously
mstomaso26 September 2007
Joel Schumaker's The Lost Boys is an outrageous comedy adventure with a cast composed of some of the mid-80s' hottest male teen idols. The film successfully walks the tightrope between schlock-horror-comedy, young adult romance-adventure, family movie, and talent showcase. And there is no gore! Like most of Schumaker's work, Lost Boys is very Hollywood. Unlike most of the subsequent vampire films, however, Lost Boys very rarely takes itself seriously. Though most of the film's humor is pretty dated, it essentially hybridizes Ferris Bueller's day off and Interview with the Vampire.

Corey Haim and Jason Patric are two brothers who have just moved with their mom (Rachel Weist) to a new boardwalk town. Michael (Patric) wastes no time getting himself mixes up with a mysterious beauty (Jami Gertz) and her hive of vampires who literally hang out in a ruined hotel nestled within the San Andreas Fault. Meanwhile, his brother (Haim) has met a pair of ca. 9-year-old wannabe vampire slayers. Kiefer Sutherland and Jason Patric give particularly strong performances and really drive most of this film.

The cinematography is very good and quite consistent with the film's tongue-in-cheek approach. The script is economical and appropriate, though a bit dated. The editing is fine. Schumaker is Schumaker, and if your familiar with him, you know what you're going to get in his films - well-paced economical entertainment designed for a big budget which blends Hollywood formulae with big name talent and an at least half-thought-out plot. In other words, Schumaker always at least tries to give a lot of bang for your buck. The formula works here, and, in my opinion, more than it usually does.

Unlike most modern gothics, Lost Boys uses special effects and make up very sparingly. It is refreshing to see a horror film without CGI and vats full of cow blood. However, the film is fairly dated, and not all that original (similar in style and story to Return of the Living Dead, among others). Still, it's a better film than it deserves to be,and one of my top-rated from Schumaker.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I miss the 80ties!
redseatrading16 April 2002
To me the 80ties were defined by the strong and confident acting of people like Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Andrew McCarthy etc etc. And also The Lost Boys is one of those magnificent flicks that takes you back to easier times. It is by far one of the best vampire movies ever made. It had it all. The Corey's, Kiefer Sutherland, Jason Patric, Alex Winter and beautiful Jami Gertz. I've had my own copy of this movie for years now, but I still watch it if it comes on tv late at night. That's the only real way to watch a pearl like this!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A hip and fun thrill ride!
AngryChair21 January 2006
Cult classic of the 80's, this vampire flick isn't really a horror film but a terrifically fun adventure.

Brothers move to a California coast town where they are menaced by a gang of teen bikers... who just happen to be vampires!

There's little wonder that The Lost Boys became a favorite of the late 80's. It's a movie that has a flair for comedy and thrills, as well as a surprisingly exciting story. This movie doesn't waste anytime with its fast-pace. The movie's comical dialog is quotable good! Joel Schumacher does a splendid job directing this movie, giving it a wonderfully slick look and a sexual vibe. The special FX are quite good as well, the climax of the movie being especially spectacular. The Lost Boys also has an awesome rock soundtrack, the Gerard McMann song 'Cry Little Sister' is a great theme for this movie and the Echo and the Bunnymen cover of 'People are Strange' is a perfect touch.

The cast is a true highlight. Jason Patric is both attractive and convincing as a teen who is fighting the urge to bite! Kiefer Sutherland may look like he just jumped off of MTV but he makes for a great villain as the leader of the vamp thugs. Jami Gertz is good as a young lady who has fallen in with the gang. Corey Haim provides some comic relief as our young hero who's trying to save his big brother. Dianne Wiest is great as the boys mother, as is Corey Feldman as a local kid/vampire hunter! Barnard Hughes is a hoot as the grandfather, who delivers one funny conclusion for this movie.

The Lost Boys is great fun all the way and remains one of the most stylish modern vamp movies around. Defanatly worth checking out.

*** 1/2 out of ****