IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Surprisingly fun

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
11 April 2010

Super corny '80s vampire flick. Brothers Jason Patrick and Corey Haim, along with their mother, Dianne Wiest, move to their new home in a California city known as "the murder capital of the world". Turns out the murderers are actually vampires, hair metal vampires to be exact, lead by Kiefer Sutherland, giving basically the same performance he did the previous year in Stand by Me, except with, you know, fangs. Alex Winter of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is one of his handful of cohorts. Patrick falls for a hot chick (Jami Gertz), who leads him to Sutherland's lair, where Sutherland turns him in to a half vampire. He'll only become a real vampire if he kills. Meanwhile, Haim hooks up with Corey Feldman (yay!) and Jamison Newlander, two kids who somehow own a comic book store and are secretly vampire hunters. It's nutty and pretty sloppy (it is, after all, directed by Joel Schumacher), but, boy, is it fun. Haim and Feldman, in particular, are hilarious. I could do without Jason Patrick, though. He always come off as kind of a douche to me.

What a real vampire should be.

Author: tamimarie228 from Iowa
1 December 2009

I like real vampires and by that I mean vampires that burn in the sun, cannot be near garlic and have scary fangs with blood dripping all over. This movie has all of them and it is also a really good story as well. One thing that I didn't like was the cheesy music and some of the jokes but the vampires over ride that. There is this cheesy kid and he and his brother move to this town with a vampire gang in it. His brother becomes a vampire and yeah you know that the younger brother has to protect his family and stuff. Then there are the Frog brothers and they help the younger brother out. It's kind of like "Near Dark" but with a little bit more humor.

"The BLOODSUCKING Brady Bunch!"

Author: Christopher T. Chase (cchase@onebox.com) from Arlington, VA.
5 December 2008

Naw, THE LOST BOYS isn't anywhere near as cheesy as the insult above hurled at one of the main villains in the movie, but hey, considering the history of the script, it could've been a helluva lot worse. In its earlier stages, the James Jeremias/Janice Fischer-penned tale had possible scenarios where it could've been either "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs-with-Fangs," or "PETER PAN-with-Fangs." Thankfully for us fans, the only thing retained from the "Pan" version is the title.

So, let's go back, folks, to a time when the influence of MTV was already infiltrating popular culture to the saturation point. The reign of the "Brat Pack" was already in full swing, and teen dramedies had fused with music videos to give us such sagas as "FLASHDANCE" and "FOOTLOOSE." The more obvious signs of infiltration hadn't quite made it into the mainstream sector of the horror genre...until now.

Originally intended for Richard Donner, (SUPERMAN, THE OMEN), he stuck with this baby through its most difficult birth pangs, until he read a nifty little something called LETHAL WEAPON. After several gazillion rewrites by almost every well-known name in town, and ditto the directors (one of them being PET SEMATARY'S Mary Lambert), the directorial chores were finally handed over to someone who had only directed one other film...Joel Schumacher. Imagine that - the man now infamous for having nearly destroyed a movie franchise (BATMAN), was also responsible for starting a remarkable trend...the "cool vampire" movie.

And as it stands, THE LOST BOYS was, if not the best of the lot, the most AWESOME-looking. I mean costumes, art-direction and cast-wise. And even with its music video-ready pedigree, even the story (as it ended up thanks to a final going-over by Jeffrey Boam) had more substance than your average "THRILLER" wanna-be.

Harried divorcée Lucy Emerson (an excellent Dianne Wiest), retreating from her ordeal has moved to the beachfront town of Santa Carla with her two teenaged sons, young Sam (Corey Haim) and older sib Michael (former Brat Packer Jason Patric), to stay with her loveably cantankerous father, (the late Barnard Hughes in one of his best roles), while she figures out her future plans...whatever they are.

Well, if among those plans was the intention of shielding Sam and Mike from "bad influences," I'm afraid poor Lucy failed miserably in that department. Lured by the magnetic Star (Jami Gertz), Mike encounters our titular Bad "Boys", led by David (Kiefer Sutherland at his most charismatic and evil yet; Jack Bauer was EONS away at this point!) Decked out in leather, cool bikes and 'Poison'-worthy teased big hair, these guys set the ongoing trend for the new look of badass, rock-and-roll vampires.

In the opposing corner, comic book aficionado Sam runs into amateur vamp hunters and book geeks the Frog Brothers, (BFF Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander), who tip him off to the fact that Santa Carla is a lot stranger town than its surface would indicate, what with all the mysterious disappearances of the townies and such.

Adding to the dramatic unease and tension is Lucy's interest in a new guy, local video store owner Max (Edward Herrmann). It's bad enough for Sam to deal with that she has a new beau, but add his big bro's sudden strange behavior (sleeping all day and the sudden, involuntary ability to fly), and the warnings from the Frog Brothers about Max's possible background for imbibing human plasma, and the stage is set for ongoing confrontations that are by turns hilarious (a disastrous dinner party given by Lucy for Max) and horrifying (the Frog Brothers and Sam's first and nearly fatal attempt at opening up a can of whup-ass on the Boys.)

Together with Eighties vamp compadres NEAR DARK and FRIGHT NIGHT, THE LOST BOYS rounds out the group to make a super "Fearsome Foursome Feature Fang Feast"! Former art director Schumacher kept the focus on decade-rich style, while high-caliber actors Wiest, Herrmann and Hughes brought the substance. Not to dismiss the contributions of the younger cast members, who are all great as well (though the breakout performance award has to go to Sutherland), but the single most notable contribution of BOYS, if nothing else, goes to a killer soundtrack featuring the Bands and Singers Of The Moment (Echo and the Bunnymen, FOREIGNER's Lou Gramm, INXS with Jimmy Barnes, Mummy Calls and Tina Turner's sax player Tim Cappello.)

I know this will "out" my deeply hidden inner geek, but the soundtrack highlight for me is by Gerard McMann, whose "Cry, Little Sister (Theme From THE LOST BOYS)" is one of those creepy and compelling songs that raise goosebumps on my forearms and has every hair on the back of my neck standing on end, but I will pop in the DVD JUST to hear the thirty seconds or so of this song that opens the movie. Hearing the voices of a children's choir singing what sounds like 'The Vampire Commandments' is just THAT ghoulishly good.

So here's one more commandment - find the 2-disk Special Edition like I did and get it for your library...NOW!!!!

Might grab you, might lose you, depends

Author: gcd70 from Melbourne, Australia
27 August 2008

Well executed, clever idea, from writers Janice Fischer, James Jeremias and additional screenwriter Jeffrey Boam, that really never grabbed me personally. It may just blow you away however, depending on your taste.

Simply put, this is a modernisation of the age-old vampire story, though perhaps 'vampires done for generation X' might be more accurate.

Joel Schumacher has taken the whole package and presented it glamorously, with every element done (some over done) to a nicety. Glitzy, slick and under 90 minutes, Schumacher knew how to sell an entertainment like this to a youthful audience. Even a rock soundtrack is shrewdly thrown in (it's a good one too). Director of Photography Michael Chapman captures the action with flare and panache.

Finally, the cast make it all work. Kiefer Sutherland is perfect as the sinister band leader, David. Jason Patric's central role, that of the confused Michael, is well played and good support comes from Corey Haim (no great actor but suitable) as his amazing little bro' and Barard Hughes as their reclusive, crazy granpa. Jami Gertz peps things up as Starr, the girl who led Michael into David's trap, and Corey Feldman drops by as a vampire eliminator (lame but necessary). Admittedly Dianne Wiest's enormous talent is wasted somewhat.

Certainly I can recognise that this was a smart, well produced flick, just not to my taste.

Friday, February 20, 1998 - Video

Brilliant

Author: Pheonix73 from United States
18 March 2008

I saw this masterpiece in the theater with my sister (which makes me feel very old to admit) and have loved and admired it ever since. It made me want to move to California...or at least make friends with vampires. Well, I did neither, but I still think the movie rocks. It truly has it all: horror, romance, action, comedy, drama and a terrific soundtrack...oh, yeah, and the infamous Two Coreys.

The 80's was a grand decade that churned out some terrific films: 'The Lost Boys' is definitely one of them. Rent it tonight and enjoy it with the lights off.

You won't regret it.

A fun film for almost anyone

Author: Lawrence Griffin from United States
17 June 2007

This is truly the only good horror movie I've seen that would qualify as 'family friendly', because it is. It's a high speed, energetic 80s action/horror flick with some pretty funny comedy parts blended in. The movie is short, the plot is simple, and the characters are enjoyable. Sure, it's predictable at times, and most of the action/horror clichés manage to warm their ways into the mix, but you'll be smiling the whole way through. I found myself chuckling at the amusing vampire hunting midgets called the Frog brothers, and I liked the campfire scene, very violent without tasteless gore or blood. The final battle scene was well done, too, very fun to watch. Directing and scenery were top notch, especially at the scene where Michael is 'turned', with the fog and lighting outside. The motorbike race on the sand was very cool. Overall the entire package has a vintage 80s sort of feel, free-riding and hard-hitting, not a care in the world.

This is one of those films you re-visit every now and then for an enjoyable viewing, rather then a spiritual voyage. It's all very high quality and top notch, so film purists probably won't be disappointed. Recommended to pretty much anybody!

Arguably the funnest horror film with a great soundtrack

Author: deckard_78 from Turkey
13 November 2006

Joel Schumacher's 1987 hit The Lost Boys is one of those movies you just can't keep yourself from watching over and over and never get bored.The movie has considerably a simple plot.The Emerson family (mother Lucy and her two boys;girl obsessed Michael,his little brother comic book obsessed Sam and Sam's loyal dog Nanook.)leaves Phoenix and moves to Santa Carla; 'the murder capital of the world' to live with Lucy's father.After a while Lucy finds a job in a video store owned by a polite local named Max.Meanwhile her sons manage to find their own special interests to kill time in Santa Carla;Michael falls for a very attractive native named Star who spends her time with a group of hippies led by David and Sam finds a comic book store owned by weird and hilariously funny frog brothers.Turns out the hippies Michael met while chasing his dream girl are vicious vampires responsible for all the missings in the city and Frog brothers are aware of the vampire activities in the city and trying to end it in their both classic and unusual ways.Things get worse when Michael drinks David's blood during a so called party and becomes a creature of the night.Now it's up to Sam and Frog Brothers to kill those bloodsuckers and save Michael and the others.

The movie's going' in a very different way from the moment it starts.Of course it has some really effective scares but mainly The Lost Boys looks like a first class comedy seeking to entertain the audience by using the vampire myth and it definitely succeeds.The movie has a clear direction,a fun script,a great soundtrack which reminds us we're watching a definite 80's movie and a wisely chosen cast including Jason Patrick,Dianne Wiest,the great Kiefer Sutherland and the two Coreys who bring extra fun with their performances;Corey Haim and Corey Feldman with some good character actors like Edward Herrmann and Barnard Hughes.

You want a different look in vampire myth? Go see 'THE LOST BOYS'!

fun movie

Author: MatthewLong23 from Toronto
7 October 2006

This is just a pure good time movie. It has a good premise in it, great characters and a lot of great moments. Has an amazing cast in it, and a great ending. Has some good scares in it no doubt but i would not classify this as a horror movie though it is about vampires. The music in this film also makes it really cool. I have no idea what the name of the song is they use but it really adds a lot of emotional depth to the film and just makes it seem cooler whenever i'ts played. The ending isn't as good as I would have hoped but that's okay cause the movie is still pretty cool. The twist in the end is something you knew was coming half way through the movie

Captures the true essence of Vampires

Author: MissMimiH from Canada
17 July 2006

**May contain spoilers** I first saw this movie about a year ago, it was my mom's idea to rent it. When she told me it was scary I didn't believe her. But she was right. Its kinda un-nerving.

The Lost Boys just screams 80's but thats whats so awesome about it. The performances by all are outstanding. Dianne Wiest is perfect as Lucy Emerson, the mom trying to rebuild her life with her sons after a divorce. Corey Haim and Jason Patric, have really good screen chemistry(being brothers) and give realism to the movie. Grandpa (Barnard Huges) is funny, as the eccentric old man, and who could forget the amazingly funny Frog Brothers (Corey Feldman, and Jamison Newlander, loved the Chuck Norris/Rambo voices!

Jami Gertz is good in her role as Star, the only girl vampire in the movie, her and Jasons chemistry is breathe taking. Max (Edward Herrmann) is really versatile, being able to play the lovable video clerk, as well as the deranged head vampire. The Lost Boys (Dwayne, Marko and Paul) all play their roles wickedly, with just enough humor to be likable. Lastly there's David(Kiefer Sutherland) the leader of the head boys, his portrayal of David is hauntingly refreshing, he's charismatic enough to lure you in, but evil enough to make you want to run, he steals the show, IMO.

Overall this movie is one of my favorites, it's a cult classic, with just enough of a mix of humor, romance, action, and horror, to appeal to almost anyones tastes.

Quick Reviews!!

Author: malkane316 from NI
1 February 2005

One of the coolest films of the 80's, and one which still stands up to today's impressions of 'coolness', The Lost Boys is an entertaining mix of horror and comedy, filled with great performances, which had a massive influence on the both Buffy the Vampire Slayerm and teen horror movies of today. Made for the MTV generation, the films stars are all good-looking and charismatic, but unlike todays 'stars', they do not try to steal the spotlight or feed their own egos.

Diane West and her two sons move to a new seaside town after a divorce, staying with her father while she decides what to do with her life. The town seems good at first, and she is quickly offered a job by a local shop owner Max. Meanwhile her sons explore the town, which seems to have a history of missing people. Her youngest, Sam played by Haim looks at the comic store where he meets the Frog brothers who insist on giving him a vampire comic which they claim may save his life. The older brother Michael follows a beautiful girl around, Star-only to find that she is part of a biker gang led by David (Sutherland). Michael finds out that David and his gang are vampires, and that if he wants Star he must become one. He completes the first stage by drinking blood. becoming paranoid, Sam believes that the town is full of Vampires and thinks his brother has become one, and they soon try to work out how to prevent Michael and Star changing. With the help of the Frog Brothers, Feldman and Newlander they try to work out who the Head vampire is, as his death will save the others. So begins many laughs and scares before the final fight.

In the style of Home Alone, the film tries to be inventive with household goods being turned into weapons, giving the film that mix of comedy and horror; The vampires are coming, the kids must prepare, but all they have are water pistols. The two Coreys are particularly good, making us wonder why they never got bigger parts, and Sutherland shines as the boss of his gang. Many twists ensue, the music is effective in enhancing the mood, and there are plenty of one-liners to remember. Probably the most entertaining Vampire movie ever, dark but not bleak, funny but not absurd, The Lost Boys is influential and should be enjoyed by all fans of Buffy, and be respected by critics as it is not just a simple, bland teen film. 9 out of 10.