IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

The vampire movie of the 80's!

Author: John Lindsey from Albuquerque New Mexico
10 November 2004

A mother ( Dianne West) with two sons ( Jason Patric and Corey Haim) have moved into San Carlas California, but one night while checking out the local amusement area the older son Michael meets a gang of vampires led by David ( Keither Sutherland) and go out to drain the blood from people and two comic book experts ( Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander) know the secrets of the vampires.

This happens to be the best vampire movie made in the 80's next to " Fright Night" directed by Joel Schumacher. The casting is good, the make-up and vampire effects by Greg Cannom are great, acting's good and it's a very entertaining, gory and hip yet comical horror thriller that takes the vampire genre on a new 80's spin.

I strongly recommend this movie to every horror and vampire fan out there but it's only owning in the new 2-Disc DVD special edition with great extras, it's a class act movie of it's genre.

Also recommended: " Fright Night", "Vamp", " Fright Night 2", "Evil Dead II", " Demons", " The Forsaken", " Bram Stoker's Dracula", " Vampire Hunter D", " The Craft", " An American Werewolf in London", "From Dusk Till Dawn", " The Toxic Avenger", " Rabid", " Shaun of the Dead", " The Evil Dead", "Re-Animator", " Bordello of Blood", " Dracula ( 1931)", " Near Dark", " Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust", " Blood: The Last Vampire", " Ghost Ship", " Freddy Vs. Jason", " Bride of Chucky", " Cemetery Man".

10/10.

A gang of juvenile hooligans but the twist is they're vampires!

Author: clopton from United States
3 November 2013

So how big a deal is "The Lost Boys?" Is it one of those universally praised horror films? A beloved cult item? Or was it just the people I hung out with in high school who liked this movie so much? The film obviously has enough of a following to greenlight two twenty years later DTV sequels and action figures and things. I saw the movie years ago and it never really grew on me. That's one of the things Halloween is about for me: Possibly reassessing potential classics.

The central premise is actually fairly clever. It's a gang of juvenile hooligans but the twist is they're vampires! I'm not sure any movie did the roving gang of vampire teen things before this one. The film attempts to update the vampire for then modern audiences. That made the film successful in its day but has the effect of instantly dating it now. The style, fashion, and music is deeply rooted in the late eighties. Characters have perms, mullets, crimped, perfect hair-dos. They wear studded leather, denim jackets, and torn polyester. The heroes of the film dress in bright pastels. I'm partial to Echo & the Bunnymen's cover of "People Are Strange" but a lot of the film's music was only cool in the late eighties. I guess it shouldn't surprise that "The Lost Boys" is a powerful bit of nostalgia for many folks.

The movie's biggest problem is that it's main character is the least interesting character in the film. Jason Patric's Michael is a typically brooding teenager. He grunts a lot of his dialogue. His romantic relationship with Jami Gertz' Star is completely flat. Michael spends large portions of the film treating his mom and little brother like a jerk. He is a stock boring audience surrogate.

Luckily, the supporting characters make up for it. The appeal of the Coreys mostly escape me but I'll admit, Corey Haim is fairly amusing. I like his exaggerated comic reactions to the strange things that happen around him. Feldman, Corey the Second, puts on this bizarre gruff voices. The Frog brothers are entertaining mainly because they pretend to be experts when they are truthfully clueless fools. Kiefer Sutherland is clearly the star of the show. His distinctive voice lends him a commanding presence, which works very well for this character. Edward Herrmann is fairly consistently awesome in most things and has fun playing two types here: First, the square boyfriend who is far too normal. Second, the evil head vampire, which allows Herrmann to gleefully over do it. The best character in the film is obviously Barnard Hughes' Grandpa. He makes creepy taxidermy animals, is obsessed with his (usually stationary) convertible, swings root beer, and has an off-screen girlfriend. He delivers his dialogue with such an off-hand casualness. Only Dianne Wiest proves unlikable. She's the classic clueless mom and remains clueless for far too long.

The horror content is comic book-like and light. The movie holds off on revealing the vampires up until the horror point. Before that, the creatures of the night are mostly represented by swooping shots. Victims are lifted out of the area but little actual bloodshed is shown. The patience pays off, as the reveal of the yellow-eyed, bumpy headed vamps works well. The last act is truly when "The Lost Boys" starts to move. Shades of "kids-on-a-mission" flicks like "Monster Squad" or "Goonies" poke through as Sam and the Frog brothers prepare goofy, creative vampire dispatching methods. The bathtubs and squirt guns full of holy water are actually clever, while the death by stereo moment is far sillier. The entire last act, the confrontation between vampires and the reveal of the big boss, works far better then the film that comes before it.

Joel Schumacher gets a lot of crap but give the guy some credit. He knows how to make a movie look good. "The Lost Boys" is especially gorgeous on Blu-Ray. The nights are dark and full of billowing fog. The red tent in the house at the end helps the suspenseful tone. Sometimes, his music video tendencies go too far, like the painfully earnest love scene between Michael and Star, but usually it lends a stylish, memorable look to the film. It's probably silly to look for queer subtext in everything Schumacher does but it does become apparent at times. Why would a teenage boy like Corey Haim have a poster of George Michaels, in short-shorts, thrusting his crotch forward, on his bedroom wall? When Michael's vampire instincts first kick in, he nearly feeds on his little brother. While he's in the bath. Finally, the bro-mance between Michael and David is nearly homoerotic, especially since Jason Patric has way more chemistry with Kiefer. And then there's the Greasy Sax Man...

Conclusion? "The Lost Boys" is perhaps too prickly at first but eventually develops a likable zany streak. I'm not converting to the tribe yet but it doesn't surprise me people love this movie.

"Holy s**t, it's the attack of Eddie Munster!"

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
4 September 2013

Hip, slick 1980s vampire picture is good fun for fans of the sub genre. It's got a healthy sense of humour, some memorable lines of dialogue, an attractive and engaging cast of newcomers and veterans, a cool soundtrack, good visual effects, and some impressive production design and cinematography. It's very much of its time, with the title characters looking like some sort of rock band, but it's energetic and entertaining.

Divorcée Lucy (a chipper, endearing Dianne Wiest) moves with her teen sons Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim) to the community of Santa Clara in California. Michael falls in with a local gang led by David (Kiefer Sutherland), not knowing the truth that they're a bunch of blood sucking night crawlers. Luckily, Sam has made the acquaintance of Edgar and Alan Frog (Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander), two comic book store dudes who know the score and what to do about it.

The interesting ensemble cast also includes old pros Edward Herrmann (as Max, a video store proprietor), and lovably ornery Barnard Hughes, as Michael and Sams' eccentric grandfather. The Lost Boys are played by Brooke McCarter, Billy Wirth, and Alex "Bill S. Preston, Esq." Winter. Jami Gertz is undeniably beautiful as Michaels' love interest.

Working from a script by Janice Fischer, James Jeremias, and Jeffrey Boam, director Joel Schumacher does give his movie a sense of "cool" as well as a good pace; the finale is particularly exciting. Among the songs heard are a solid cover of The Doors' "People Are Strange" by Echo and the Bunnymen. The makeup effects by Greg Cannom are effective without being overdone.

It does invite comparison to 1987s' other vampire favourite "Near Dark", but overall "Near Dark" is more thickly atmospheric and dreamlike and substantial. "The Lost Boys" is a hoot, but it may simply be too juvenile for some tastes.

Seven out of 10.

Leader of the pack!!

Author: janicepayton from Sydney, Australia
30 May 2013

Lost Boys is one of my all time fav movies. It had everything a growing teen needed in a movie, 1. Sex, 2. Drugs & 3. Rock & Roll.... throw in some wickedly cool Vampires and you have one awesome flick. The casting was spot on, Kieffer was excellent as David, Jason and Corey played Michael and Sam to a tee and even Diane Weiss was wonderful as Lucy. One of the coolest soundtracks ever associated with a movie (non musical).

Lost Boys made Vampires cool and sexy.

Some movies should never be messed with and this is one. It's a damn shame that they went and made 2 really crappy b-grade sequels and an even bigger shame that Corey Feldman starred in both.

Inventive Vampire Flick With Great Special Effects(***1/2 Out Of ****)

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
27 October 2012

Belated Day 21 Of My 31 Days Of Horror 2.

The Lost Boys is one of those movies that changed me after I saw it. It was a revolution that started the vampire craze in the 80's and 90's with this and Fright Night. Does it still hold up today.

The film follows a young Micheal played by Jason Patric who gets bitten by a bat and starts to turn into a vampire and gets chased and hunted down by a group of vampires.

This film has a good 80's feel and terrific special effects. But the only problem is that it shifts from a quiet calm film to an out of control gore fest with vampire guts everywhere. Just how I like it.

Rated R For Bloody Horror Violence Including Disturbing Images, Language And Some Sexuality.

1hr 37min/97min.

1 uses of the F-word.

***1/2/****

Surprisingly fun

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
11 April 2010

Super corny '80s vampire flick. Brothers Jason Patrick and Corey Haim, along with their mother, Dianne Wiest, move to their new home in a California city known as "the murder capital of the world". Turns out the murderers are actually vampires, hair metal vampires to be exact, lead by Kiefer Sutherland, giving basically the same performance he did the previous year in Stand by Me, except with, you know, fangs. Alex Winter of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is one of his handful of cohorts. Patrick falls for a hot chick (Jami Gertz), who leads him to Sutherland's lair, where Sutherland turns him in to a half vampire. He'll only become a real vampire if he kills. Meanwhile, Haim hooks up with Corey Feldman (yay!) and Jamison Newlander, two kids who somehow own a comic book store and are secretly vampire hunters. It's nutty and pretty sloppy (it is, after all, directed by Joel Schumacher), but, boy, is it fun. Haim and Feldman, in particular, are hilarious. I could do without Jason Patrick, though. He always come off as kind of a douche to me.

What a real vampire should be.

Author: tamimarie228 from Iowa
1 December 2009

I like real vampires and by that I mean vampires that burn in the sun, cannot be near garlic and have scary fangs with blood dripping all over. This movie has all of them and it is also a really good story as well. One thing that I didn't like was the cheesy music and some of the jokes but the vampires over ride that. There is this cheesy kid and he and his brother move to this town with a vampire gang in it. His brother becomes a vampire and yeah you know that the younger brother has to protect his family and stuff. Then there are the Frog brothers and they help the younger brother out. It's kind of like "Near Dark" but with a little bit more humor.

"The BLOODSUCKING Brady Bunch!"

Author: Christopher T. Chase (cchase@onebox.com) from Arlington, VA.
5 December 2008

Naw, THE LOST BOYS isn't anywhere near as cheesy as the insult above hurled at one of the main villains in the movie, but hey, considering the history of the script, it could've been a helluva lot worse. In its earlier stages, the James Jeremias/Janice Fischer-penned tale had possible scenarios where it could've been either "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs-with-Fangs," or "PETER PAN-with-Fangs." Thankfully for us fans, the only thing retained from the "Pan" version is the title.

So, let's go back, folks, to a time when the influence of MTV was already infiltrating popular culture to the saturation point. The reign of the "Brat Pack" was already in full swing, and teen dramedies had fused with music videos to give us such sagas as "FLASHDANCE" and "FOOTLOOSE." The more obvious signs of infiltration hadn't quite made it into the mainstream sector of the horror genre...until now.

Originally intended for Richard Donner, (SUPERMAN, THE OMEN), he stuck with this baby through its most difficult birth pangs, until he read a nifty little something called LETHAL WEAPON. After several gazillion rewrites by almost every well-known name in town, and ditto the directors (one of them being PET SEMATARY'S Mary Lambert), the directorial chores were finally handed over to someone who had only directed one other film...Joel Schumacher. Imagine that - the man now infamous for having nearly destroyed a movie franchise (BATMAN), was also responsible for starting a remarkable trend...the "cool vampire" movie.

And as it stands, THE LOST BOYS was, if not the best of the lot, the most AWESOME-looking. I mean costumes, art-direction and cast-wise. And even with its music video-ready pedigree, even the story (as it ended up thanks to a final going-over by Jeffrey Boam) had more substance than your average "THRILLER" wanna-be.

Harried divorcée Lucy Emerson (an excellent Dianne Wiest), retreating from her ordeal has moved to the beachfront town of Santa Carla with her two teenaged sons, young Sam (Corey Haim) and older sib Michael (former Brat Packer Jason Patric), to stay with her loveably cantankerous father, (the late Barnard Hughes in one of his best roles), while she figures out her future plans...whatever they are.

Well, if among those plans was the intention of shielding Sam and Mike from "bad influences," I'm afraid poor Lucy failed miserably in that department. Lured by the magnetic Star (Jami Gertz), Mike encounters our titular Bad "Boys", led by David (Kiefer Sutherland at his most charismatic and evil yet; Jack Bauer was EONS away at this point!) Decked out in leather, cool bikes and 'Poison'-worthy teased big hair, these guys set the ongoing trend for the new look of badass, rock-and-roll vampires.

In the opposing corner, comic book aficionado Sam runs into amateur vamp hunters and book geeks the Frog Brothers, (BFF Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander), who tip him off to the fact that Santa Carla is a lot stranger town than its surface would indicate, what with all the mysterious disappearances of the townies and such.

Adding to the dramatic unease and tension is Lucy's interest in a new guy, local video store owner Max (Edward Herrmann). It's bad enough for Sam to deal with that she has a new beau, but add his big bro's sudden strange behavior (sleeping all day and the sudden, involuntary ability to fly), and the warnings from the Frog Brothers about Max's possible background for imbibing human plasma, and the stage is set for ongoing confrontations that are by turns hilarious (a disastrous dinner party given by Lucy for Max) and horrifying (the Frog Brothers and Sam's first and nearly fatal attempt at opening up a can of whup-ass on the Boys.)

Together with Eighties vamp compadres NEAR DARK and FRIGHT NIGHT, THE LOST BOYS rounds out the group to make a super "Fearsome Foursome Feature Fang Feast"! Former art director Schumacher kept the focus on decade-rich style, while high-caliber actors Wiest, Herrmann and Hughes brought the substance. Not to dismiss the contributions of the younger cast members, who are all great as well (though the breakout performance award has to go to Sutherland), but the single most notable contribution of BOYS, if nothing else, goes to a killer soundtrack featuring the Bands and Singers Of The Moment (Echo and the Bunnymen, FOREIGNER's Lou Gramm, INXS with Jimmy Barnes, Mummy Calls and Tina Turner's sax player Tim Cappello.)

I know this will "out" my deeply hidden inner geek, but the soundtrack highlight for me is by Gerard McMann, whose "Cry, Little Sister (Theme From THE LOST BOYS)" is one of those creepy and compelling songs that raise goosebumps on my forearms and has every hair on the back of my neck standing on end, but I will pop in the DVD JUST to hear the thirty seconds or so of this song that opens the movie. Hearing the voices of a children's choir singing what sounds like 'The Vampire Commandments' is just THAT ghoulishly good.

So here's one more commandment - find the 2-disk Special Edition like I did and get it for your library...NOW!!!!

Brilliant

Author: Pheonix73 from United States
18 March 2008

I saw this masterpiece in the theater with my sister (which makes me feel very old to admit) and have loved and admired it ever since. It made me want to move to California...or at least make friends with vampires. Well, I did neither, but I still think the movie rocks. It truly has it all: horror, romance, action, comedy, drama and a terrific soundtrack...oh, yeah, and the infamous Two Coreys.

The 80's was a grand decade that churned out some terrific films: 'The Lost Boys' is definitely one of them. Rent it tonight and enjoy it with the lights off.

You won't regret it.

Captures the true essence of Vampires

Author: MissMimiH from Canada
17 July 2006

**May contain spoilers** I first saw this movie about a year ago, it was my mom's idea to rent it. When she told me it was scary I didn't believe her. But she was right. Its kinda un-nerving.

The Lost Boys just screams 80's but thats whats so awesome about it. The performances by all are outstanding. Dianne Wiest is perfect as Lucy Emerson, the mom trying to rebuild her life with her sons after a divorce. Corey Haim and Jason Patric, have really good screen chemistry(being brothers) and give realism to the movie. Grandpa (Barnard Huges) is funny, as the eccentric old man, and who could forget the amazingly funny Frog Brothers (Corey Feldman, and Jamison Newlander, loved the Chuck Norris/Rambo voices!

Jami Gertz is good in her role as Star, the only girl vampire in the movie, her and Jasons chemistry is breathe taking. Max (Edward Herrmann) is really versatile, being able to play the lovable video clerk, as well as the deranged head vampire. The Lost Boys (Dwayne, Marko and Paul) all play their roles wickedly, with just enough humor to be likable. Lastly there's David(Kiefer Sutherland) the leader of the head boys, his portrayal of David is hauntingly refreshing, he's charismatic enough to lure you in, but evil enough to make you want to run, he steals the show, IMO.

Overall this movie is one of my favorites, it's a cult classic, with just enough of a mix of humor, romance, action, and horror, to appeal to almost anyones tastes.