IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 35: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Campy, scary and funny vampire movie...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
2 September 2010

1st watched 8/31/2010 -- 8 out of 10 (Dir-Joel Schumacher): Campy, scary and funny vampire movie that I consider a classic in the genre. Joel Schumacher, who is one of my favorite directors, blends so many things into one movie and makes it entertaining as well. The story is about a newly divorced mother and her two children moving into a new town(dubbed 'murder capital of the world' on back of a billboard) and in with her demented father. The eerie element is introduced in the first scene as Kiefer Sutherland and his boys invade a local carnival and then a death occurs. The older son, played by Jason Patric, is enticed by a woman, who appears to be part of this group, and then unknowingly is initiated into it by drinking the blood of the leader. He first, though, has to have his own first kill to truly become one of them, and his younger son, played by Corey Haim, along with a goofy couple of brothers, try to stop this from happening. These brothers try to hunt down and kill the lead vampire, which is supposed to reverse the curse. The movie is filled with hilarious one-liners which shows me that it's not taking itself too seriously and makes the movie better. It also has wonderfully atmospheric scary shots with a little over-the-top violence in the last half hour. The humor, though, wins out and makes this movie a classic that shouldn't be missed.

Maggots, Michael. You're eating maggots. How do they taste?

Author: from United States
22 June 2010

*May Contain Spoilers* Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Being only fifteen, many people my age aren't aware of "The Lost Boys" or any other movie from that era. So, if you are a fifteen year old kid sitting at home with nothing to do, thinking "I want to watch a vampire movie", chuck "Twilight" out the window along with all your preconceived notions of any movie made before 2005, and be ready to be sucked into the world of "The Lost Boys".

"The Lost Boys" centers around Michael(Jason Patric), a young man who just moved to Santa Carla(Whose welcoming sign has "Murder Capital Of The World" inscribed on it's back in blood red paint, I may add) with his newly divorced mother Lucy(Dianne Wiest) and his younger brother Sam(Corey Haim). Lucy, reluctant to force a "huge legal battle" upon herself and her boys, is flat broke and moves in with her eccentric and, for lack of a better word, silly father(Barnard Hughes).

That night, Sam and Michael go to the town boardwalk where they see a concert (because what movie is complete without a greased up muscle man playing the saxophone?) where Michael spots Star (Jami Gertz). He becomes infatuated with her and starts to go after her. (Not in the creepy stalker way, but the whole 'I just want to talk to her' way). Michael soon catches up with the girl, but is too late as he sees her on the back of David's (Kiefer Sutherland)'s motorcycle. The next night, the same thing happens, but this time David seems interested. He challenges Michael to a race. Michael, skeptical of his chances against David's expensive bike, says "I can't beat your bike." David then says "You don't have to beat me, Michael. You just have to try to keep up." They race, and David easily beats Michael, with the help of his friends Dwayne (Billy Wirth), Paul (Brook McCarter) and Marco (Alex Winter). Michael gets angry, and physically pushes David, shouting "Just you, man! Just you!" David then says "How far you willing to go, Michael?" David then takes Michael back to his lair, and after a few mind games, has him drink from a bottle of wine. However, it wasn't wine he was drinking. Star warned him that it was blood, but he didn't believe her. He drank. Soon, he started to experience strange symptoms, such as sleeping all day, longer fingernails, and irritability. He thinks nothing of it until he has a strange craving for his brother's blood, and is attacked by Sam's dog Nanook. When he sees his reflection in the mirror, he is translucent. Sam, at first is afraid and is convinced that Michael is trying to kill him, but soon realizes that Michael is as much in the dark as he is. He agrees to help, and enlists the help of the Frog brothers (Corey Feldman & Jamison Newlander), two 15-year-old self proclaimed Vampire Hunters. Michael learns that he is only a half vampire until he makes his first kill, and to be turned back to normal, the head vampire has to die. So, Michael must fight his rapid transision into a creature of the night while he tries to kill the one who turned him.

This is an amazing movie. It truly is. Jason Patric is a very good eye-candy type lead role; Corey Haim, Corey Feldman, and Jamison Newlander are hilarious. But, I must say, this film is carried by the performance of Kiefer Sutherland. He truly brought his character to life and made this movie what it is.

"The Lost Boys" is a different kid a vampire movie. It truly set the standards for vampire movies to come. What I like most about it is the fact that isn't too serious. It is a very youthful, and, quite frankly, a funny movie. 5 stars!

The ultimate vampire movie!

Author: roisin from Ireland
2 May 2010

This is just my most favorite movie ever!Its scary ,funny and has lots of action.What I like about this movie so much is that the vampires are scary,eat people and do not sparkle in the sun like they do in twilight(ugh).Some say people like for nostalgia but their wrong.I'm 15 and I love it!Corey Haim is such a sweetheart in this movie and I love the Frog Brothers .They're so funny and I love Corey Feldman as Edgar Frog he's hot!So was Kiefer Sutherland!I ADORE the song Cry Little Sister, I think it really suits the movie,I really want the soundtrack ,cant find it any where.I have this on DVD and watch it every week.Its a classic!Watch it once and you'll watch it all the time ,its that good!It'll never get old,it'll always be funny. 10/10

A Campy Attempt At Vampire Fun

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
7 April 2010

There are basically two distinct (but related) stories in one going on in "The Lost Boys," which revolves around a family (mom Lucy and brothers Michael and Sam) who move to Santa Carla, California from Phoenix after mom's divorce. Santa Carla apparently has a reputation as the "murder capital of the world," and we soon find out why.

The first of the stories begins when Michael (Jason Patric) meets a local beauty named Star, who's tangled up with a local gang. This is the story with potential. The gang are actually a gang of "young" vampires, who set out to "recruit" Michael. I liked the idea of young vampires, which of course builds on the whole problem of gangs, and kids who don't fit in but want to fit in. The gang was pretty convincing, and Kiefer Sutherland especially was great as David, the apparent leader of the gang. Had this been developed as a straight horror-vampire movie about this roving gang of young vampires terrorizing the town and this family in particular it might have been a very effective horror movie. However, those who put the story together decided to introduce the second part of the story, which frankly didn't work as well.

In Santa Carla, a couple of even younger teens (led by Corey Feldman) know what's going on and fancy themselves as vampire hunters, their knowledge about the undead apparently having come out of vampire comic books. To save his brother, Sam (Corey Haim) hooks up with these guys, who use every cliché trick in the books (garlic, wooden stakes, holy water, sunlight) as they set out to destroy the creatures of the night. To me, this aspect of the story came across as silly, and every time the "horror" aspects of the gang started to become convincing, we got Feldman et. al. getting back into the picture and turning this into a vampire-hunting comedy. The final confrontation is overdone rather than climactic, and in the end Grandpa comes across as being as silly as the young vampire hunters.

To its credit, the movie surprised me with the final identification of the "head vampire," who has to be destroyed to release Michael. In the end, though, I wish this had stuck to horror and let go of the attempts to be a teen comedy at the same time.

The Lost Boys

Author: SJoy123 from United States
15 March 2010

I recently watched this for upteenth time this past weekend. It was so hard watching this movie after learning about Corey Haim's death. I decided to watch it along with my kids who were about the same age I was when I first watched it. I watched it from about 10 years and all throughout my teen years because regular TV aired it a lot. I had a huge crush on Corey Haim...he was so adorable and funny. Yes Jason Patrick was bomb back then too. It was eye candy and the movie was scary just enough! Corey Haim you had a lot of Black fans too. My best friend SL-G was a big fan of Lost Boys and we would always refer back to that as being a good old school movie. Remember sis? Oh Corey will miss you and remember you. RIP, and my heart goes out to your best friend CF too. Peace

Love, SJW in Denver

Great great great!

Author: bdx3 from United States
11 March 2010

And Corey Haim was excellent!. I can see where Charlie Sheen gets a lot of his faces. more words more words more words more words. There - happy now? No - 10 lines of text, more words - ten lines of text - Hi - how are you - more words - ten lines of text - more words - ten lines of text - more words - ten lines of text - more words - ten lines of text - more words - ten lines of text.

And then the cat ran over the hippo without regard for any health care issues. Then the secret stupid palinskis took control of the government. And nobody could do anything about it because everybody became stupid.

A fun and hip take on the vampire legend

Author: sgtking from United States
1 February 2010

Dracula, one of the most famous monsters in all of literature and film, has been the subject of many movies since the Silent era. In most cases he was depicted as a charming and seductive figure who wore a cape and slept all day in a coffin. But of course there was another side to him, a dangerous one. By the 1970s and 80s the Horror genre experienced a major shift and people were taking classic tales and updating them in interesting ways. The 1979 version of Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot' introduced viewers to vampires lacking the charm and instead were vicious and cruel. Almost a decade later Warner Bros. would bring us another new take on the legend, this time one more aimed at younger audiences and the film was both a hit and went on to have a major cult following.

Pros: Great work from the ensemble cast. A good score and also a cool soundtrack. Stylish direction. Fast pacing. Plenty of good humor. Nice cinematography. Great special and make-up effects work. Some pretty frightening scenes and images.

Cons: Thin plotting. The fashions and hairstyles really date the film.

Final thoughts: This was truly one of my favorites as a kid and even though I may not like it as much as I did then, it's held up really well and is still a lot of fun to watch. The vampire sub-genre was running out of steam a bit and thankfully films like this and 'Fright Night' gave it a shot of life in the arm.

My rating: 4/5

Teen-vampires '80s style

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
4 November 2009

When I watched this in the eighties I really enjoyed it but when I dusted off my old VHS copy I was a little worried that it wouldn't have aged well... I needn't have worried as the story is as good as it was then with extra amusement given by the sight of hilarious '80s hairdos.

At the start of the film Michael and his younger brother Sam move to Santa Carla, California with their recently divorced mother, little realising that it is the murder capital of the world and home to a group of vampires. When they go into town Michael is somewhat smitten by a girl called Star who it turns out is with David, the apparent leader of the vampires. At this point he thinks they are just the local bad boys and doesn't suspect a thing when they invite him to their lair for some Chinese food and a drink of "wine". Meanwhile brother Sam is hearing about the presence of vampires from the Frog Brothers who work at the local comic shop and their mother is getting to know Max after applying for a job at his shop. That night's activities have left Michael half way to becoming a vampire and if he is not to become a fully fledged vampire he must persuade his brother and the Frog brothers to help him destroy the head vampire... and not kill him too.

Jason Patric and Corey Haim are good as Michael and Sam and Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander are suitably funny as the Frog brothers but it is Kiefer Sutherland who steals the show as bad boy vampire David, it was clear that he would go onto bigger things. As well as an enjoyable story the film has decent special effects and a great '80s sound track.

Youth is at stake.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
16 July 2009

It's always hard moving to a new town where you're a teenager. It gets even harder when you end up in Santa Carla, a small coastal town that has a problem with . . . . . . vampires.

Corey Haim and Jason Patric play the two sons (Sam and Michael, respectively) of Dianne Wiest. Sam is a youngster trying to make new friends in town while not coming across as uncool while Michael ends up meeting a beautiful girl (played by Jami Gertz) and going up against some local biker boys, led by David (Kiefer Sutherland). Antagonism becomes grudging respect becomes camaraderie as Michael finds himself slipping under the influence of the local vampire posse before he even realises the awful truth. Fortunately, Sam is being made aware of the situation by the local oddballs known as The Frog Brothers (played brilliantly by Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander). As Michael battles against his developing "condition" and things become more dangerous for everyone close to them, the brothers and The Frog Brothers prepare to battle their fanged enemies.

This movie is a marvellously entertaining vampire flick that keeps lads and horror fans hooked with some decent scare moments and blood-drenched death scenes while female audience members seem to have been drawn in by the attractive male leads and a soundtrack that contains a great mix of fun rock and haunting melodies. Some people may roll their eyes at the thought of a glossy Joel Shumacher vampire movie but, what the hell, it's fun and for many people it remains right up there with the best vampire movies made in modern times. Personally, as I have grown up and changed my tastes slightly, I now find myself preferring many other movies, including the likes of "Near Dark" which was released the same year and sadly overlooked at the time, but I cannot deny that whenever The Lost Boys is on and I end up discovering it during a bout of channel-hopping I will end up watching most of it.

There are many things to pick at, many things far too easy to focus on that you can claim drag down the whole film, but the highlights just about outweigh these things. The whole feeling of fun and exuberance mixed with the frights, the fantastic soundtrack, the witty script that includes such enjoyable simplicities as "death by stereo" and some superb aerial camera-work that really takes you up there with the group as they scour for victims. Throw in some 80s nostalgia for those of my generation and you have a fine, fine film.

See this if you like: Vamp, Bordello Of Blood, Fright Night.

One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires.

Author: lastliberal from United States
9 July 2009

The very first thing you notice about this film is the richness of the color. It was a beautiful film to watch.

It had a lot of great actors, and one very hot one.

Michael (Jason Patric) and his brother Sam (Corey Haim) move to Santa Clara with their mother (Dianne Wiest) after her divorce.

Michael is immediately attracted to Star (Jami Gertz), and is soon involved with her friends led by David (Kiefer Sutherland). He is willing to try anything to be close to Star.

Meanwhile Sam is reading Vampire comics given to him by two strange boys (Corey Feldman & Jamison Newlander). They come in handy when he finds his own brother has turned.

There wasn't any real vampire action, and the ending was pretty predictable, as was the identity of the head vampire. But, that still didn't take away from a fine performance by Corey Haim, and a dominating performance by Kiefer Sutherland.