IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 33: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Funny meets horror in this vamp pic

Author: jonathan45 from United Kingdom
21 April 2007

The lost boys is a film about a biker gang of teen vampires and their attempts to turn a recently divorced mother and two sons in to the undead. They set about recruiting the older teenager,the rudderless Michael. In their path is his younger brother Sam, who along with his friends the comically humourless Frog brothers set about to kill the vamps. Joel Schumaker wisely keeps his trademark campness to a minimum here and avoids doing any political 'gay' elements which would have alienated the audience, instead he keeps the social commentary in the background with the affecting shots of homeless teens eating from rubbish bins, easy prey for society's predators - undead or otherwise. The vampires here are disturbing, razor teeth and wolf like features and sadistic laughing from the shadows hit the nerves. The direction has a humour to it without ruining the horror. Best is the stoner grandad with the last line in the movie '..all the damn vampires'

Best

Author: aprilsings from United States
11 April 2007

This was one of the greatest 80s movies I have ever seen. I really liked it, I stayed up all night and watched it over and over again the first night I saw it.

I was a movie where I wasn't scared by it but by my surroundings for the rest of the night. I recommend it to any friends I can.

I can see Lost Boys in almost every movie I watch now and I'm like Hey that's the wrong movie?!?!?

This movie will have you believing: the impossible, in love,the power of a family bond, and in what kids can really do.

I think anyone could love this movie if they just took the time to see it's beauty!

A Vampire Classic... Redefines the Genre

Author: gavin6942 from United States
11 March 2007

A single mother and her two sons move in to the grandfather's home in a West Coast town. The younger son (Corey Haim) meets two alleged vampire hunters and comic book collectors (one being Corey Feldman) while the older son (Jason Patric) becomes friends with actual vampires. Family ties become the ties that bind or the start of a civil war.

This film really hits home for me. The creative force behind it took a genre (vampire films) and combined it with that 1980s youth mentality to produce a vampire film that will stand the test of time. Richard Donner was supposed to direct (he had previously worked with Haim/Feldman on "Goonies") but handed control over to Joel Schumacher. I have no real love for Schumacher, but he did something wonderful here and I can't help but commend him for that.

The supporting cast is also great. Kiefer Sutherland (who has gone on to great things) and Alex Winter (who went on to make "Freaked" and then disappeared). Edward Herrmann plays Max, the mother (Dianne West)'s boyfriend. I have a fond memory of seeing this film for the first time at my friend Jodey's house and having another friend comment, "I bet that guy drives a Lexus" (due to Herrmann being a Lexus spokesman at the time). The memory still cracks me up.

The cast and crew are great, but three things deserve some attention: music, comics and mythology. The music was great, to say the least. The use of the Doors "People are Strange" was nice. I don't like the Doors, but that's okay because Echo and the Bunnymen were kind enough to do a cover. There's even a large Jim Morrison poster in the vampire's den (which really seems odd, but alright). The best song is what I would call the theme which has children singing "thou shall not..." which is played at key moments to tug at the audience emotionally. I was moved, I won't lie. It's not even a good song, but it fits.

The comics were a nice touch. Whoever wrote this (and I apologize I can't recall offhand) loved vampires and loved comic books, because they knew how to balance the two perfectly. Not only is a comic a driving medium for getting the word out on vampires, but there is just a comic book undercurrent that connects the primary protagonists. I was an avid collector in my youth, but I was certainly not as informed as Haim or Feldman on the specific nuances of old school Batman or Superman issues.

Last, the mythology is amazing. Most horror films, and vampire films in particular, can be judged by the way they represent the source material. This movie addresses mirrors, garlic, sunlight, holy water, getting invited into residences and stakes through the heart. In some areas they deviate from the classical traditions, but do so in such a respectful way that this seems all the more perfect (any deviation has a plausible explanation -- it's not just merely thrown out the window). Being traditional and new at the same time is hard, but mastered here.

If you see only only Haim/Feldman film, see "Goonies". If you see two, see this one. (If you see three, see "License to Drive" or "Dream a Little Dream", I guess.) And if you see only one 1980s vampire movie, see this one. I can think of no other film that appeals to both children and adults while staying both serious and light-hearted, classic and modern. Besides, you'll never see Kiefer Sutherland with hair like this again.

Fun horror comedy from the 80's

Author: tomimt from Finland
23 February 2007

Of all the horror films made from the 80's "The Lost Boys" has managed to maintain its status as a sort of a classic. While it is true, that the film does contain some very nice imagery, it also shows some signs of aging because of the over blown "look, I'm 80's" style. There's punk rockers and mullets everywhere.

Despite all that, "The Lost Boys" actually is quite good dose of horror mixed with some comedy. Acting isn't anything to note about, as it usually is in the movies like these, but the diction is pretty good and some of the scenes actually look very nice.

TLB tells a story about a family, a mother and two brothers, who move to stay with their grandfather after moms divorce. Younger of the boys soon notices, that there's something strange about the new home town, while the older bro stumbles to a vampire gang lead by David (Kiefer Sutherland). There isn't anything spectacular about the script and the movie is actually quite predictable, but then again it is a genre film.

Joel Schumacher has very unsteady career in quality ways, but with TLB he's managed to do very nice film, that even has some minor statement about alienation from the society for all those, who differ the norm.

My score 7/10

Terror movie for teens with excellent casting

Author: ma-cortes
11 January 2007

A family constituted by a mother(Dianne West) divorced and sons played by Jason Patric and Corey Haim moves to Santa Clara(California) into house their grandfather(Barnard Hughes).There find a pack of bloodsuckers led by Kiefer Sutherland(24) and underlings Alex Winter(Bill and Tex's extraordinaries adventures),Billy Wirth among others.They turn into vampires at the night and stricken to hungry blood.Then undergo a dental transformation and going on a murderous rampage every time the dark appears.They lure to Patric and he falls in love with a vampire(Jami Gerz).

The picture displays terror,thriller,violence,humor and is quite entertaining.The movie contains great load of action,special effects abundant and numerous scenes have you on edge of your seat.It's beautifully executed with phenomenal production values and ideal cast.Special mention for couple Corey Haim-Corey Feldman playing a ¨Peter Cushing teens¨, pretty famous at the time,both made several films however nowadays they only make B movies.The screenwriter provides a very serviceable and fine-knit screenplay with suspense,tension,horror and some of comedy.It's colorfully filmed by cameraman Michael Chapman and atmospheric music by Thomas Newman.The motion picture is well directed by Joel Schumacher who later will make two mediocre Batman and a successful Phantom of Opera.The flick will like to vampires genre fans and adolescents cinema fans.

Glam Vampires!

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
22 December 2006

"The Lost Boys" is a key movie from the 80's Horror and glam because it truly displays what was going on in the 80's. I mean, the fashion, music, the Slasher craze, teen actors, etc.

"The Lost Boys" is now a cult Vampire movie; enjoyable and well done. The violence and gore is very toned down and the plot is easy to follow and also very "light" but it surely manages to entertain all kinds of audiences.

The acting is pretty good. Jason Patric, Barnard Hughes, Diane West deliver solid mature performances. While Corey Feldman, Jami Gertz and company deliver fresh, believable performances.

The soundtrack is excellent. The Doors, Sisters Of Mercy, etc. A Metal, Rock soundtrack with excellent songs that are used in key moments in the movie. "Cry Little Sister" is a now cult song.

Overall, I would only recommend this movie for a younger audience or for Vampire fans in general. The movie is entertaining, has great f/x, decent violence, a creepy atmosphere, and some great action sequences.

This is a must see if you like the 80's Horror. Though I repeat, it would be highly enjoyed by a younger audience.

Arguably the funnest horror film with a great soundtrack

Author: deckard_78 from Turkey
13 November 2006

Joel Schumacher's 1987 hit The Lost Boys is one of those movies you just can't keep yourself from watching over and over and never get bored.The movie has considerably a simple plot.The Emerson family (mother Lucy and her two boys;girl obsessed Michael,his little brother comic book obsessed Sam and Sam's loyal dog Nanook.)leaves Phoenix and moves to Santa Carla; 'the murder capital of the world' to live with Lucy's father.After a while Lucy finds a job in a video store owned by a polite local named Max.Meanwhile her sons manage to find their own special interests to kill time in Santa Carla;Michael falls for a very attractive native named Star who spends her time with a group of hippies led by David and Sam finds a comic book store owned by weird and hilariously funny frog brothers.Turns out the hippies Michael met while chasing his dream girl are vicious vampires responsible for all the missings in the city and Frog brothers are aware of the vampire activities in the city and trying to end it in their both classic and unusual ways.Things get worse when Michael drinks David's blood during a so called party and becomes a creature of the night.Now it's up to Sam and Frog Brothers to kill those bloodsuckers and save Michael and the others.

The movie's going' in a very different way from the moment it starts.Of course it has some really effective scares but mainly The Lost Boys looks like a first class comedy seeking to entertain the audience by using the vampire myth and it definitely succeeds.The movie has a clear direction,a fun script,a great soundtrack which reminds us we're watching a definite 80's movie and a wisely chosen cast including Jason Patrick,Dianne Wiest,the great Kiefer Sutherland and the two Coreys who bring extra fun with their performances;Corey Haim and Corey Feldman with some good character actors like Edward Herrmann and Barnard Hughes.

You want a different look in vampire myth? Go see 'THE LOST BOYS'!

Santa Carla, Ca-Vampire Capital of the world.

Author: windypoplar from United States
24 October 2006

I won't be overly long here. If you haven't seen this movie you had a very deprived childhood. This is like, the greatest vampire flick ever! I'm talking a cast to die for! Two Coreys! Jason Patric, Kiefer Sutherland, Jami Gertz.. Wow. Richard Donner produced this Joel Schumaker opus and you could argue that its Schumaker's finest hour. Everything, and I mean everything, in this movies works.

Its scary, its funny as hell, is fast, its sexy, its exciting. It has the greatest dogs ever, Nanook and Thorne. Plus one of my all time favorite lines "Great, the blood-sucking Brady Bunch!" Ha Ha! Did I mention the music, it deserves it. All time one of the best soundtracks. Awesome, very '80's very hip, very cool. Watch it, learn it, live it.

Peace

Good mixture of fun, fright and fangs...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
21 October 2006

Joel Schumacher may have taken brickbats for his "Batman and Robin" film (according to its detractors who hate what it did to the Batman franchise), but they have no cause to complain about the horror, humor and fantastic pleasures of THE LOST BOYS, a rich time capsule from the 1980s that put new zest into vampire films.

Not that any of it is meant to be taken seriously. The story is roughly that of a divorced mom (DIANNE WIEST) who moves to a small California town of Santa Clara where she expects to raise her two normal sons (JASON PATRIC and COREY HAIM). The minute the boys zoom off on their motorcycles to visit the local boardwalk, they run into the local bad boys who don't seem too much worse than your normal bad kids. KIEFER SUTHERLAND with his bleached blond hair is the leader of the gang and Jason has his eyes on Kiefer's girlfriend.

But this is no normal gang. And Corey is soon telling his mother that they have to have a serious talk about something. He's sure his brother is becoming a vampire after hanging out too much with Kiefer and the gang. The story takes a dark turn but never loses its giddy sense of humor as the bat cave boys begin to act up. One of the funniest scenes has Corey on the phone asking her to come home from a dinner date while Jason is flying in and out the window on another phone assuring her things are OK.

It's rib tickling fun and Schumacher gets just as much humor out of the whole thing as he does horror. There's a busy soundtrack full of '80s sounds and this is one of the reasons Andrew Lloyd Webber picked Schumacher to direct his PHANTOM OF THE OPERA years later. He had seen THE LOST BOYS and was very impressed with Schumacher's handling of visuals and music.

If you like vampire flicks, this is one of the best--quirky fun with enough special effects for horror fans to enjoy to the max.

fun movie

Author: MatthewLong23 from Toronto
7 October 2006

This is just a pure good time movie. It has a good premise in it, great characters and a lot of great moments. Has an amazing cast in it, and a great ending. Has some good scares in it no doubt but i would not classify this as a horror movie though it is about vampires. The music in this film also makes it really cool. I have no idea what the name of the song is they use but it really adds a lot of emotional depth to the film and just makes it seem cooler whenever i'ts played. The ending isn't as good as I would have hoped but that's okay cause the movie is still pretty cool. The twist in the end is something you knew was coming half way through the movie