IMDb > The Lost Boys (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire.

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
3 January 2006

I think it's an absurd the low rating to ''The Lost Boys'' here in IMDb. This movie is one of the vampire classics from the 80's and one of the best vampire movies ever made!Michael,Lucy and Sam, the Emerson's family, are moving to a new and smaller town in California called Santa Carla. The reasons of this change of cities was financial problems and the fact that Lucy wants to give a better life to her sons. There they are living with Lucy's dad, and Santa Carla who looked such a calm city looks to be, in fact, a vampire territory. Michael, Lucy's older son, starts to like Star, a girl who is almost a complete vampire as David, the leader of their group. Michael, mostly because of Star, became a vampire as well, and many problems starts, since Sam made friendship with Edgar and Alan, two brothers who are also vampire hunters.

This movie is VERY good, and all vampire fans should watch!

One of the best movies of the 80's.

Author: Drew from ARKANSAS
20 July 2003

I LOVE this movie! The Lost Boys is a movie I can sink my teeth into! Summary: Michael(Jason Patric)and Sam(Corey Haim)have just moved to Santa Carla, California with their mother(Dianne Wiest), and into the house of their lovable Grandpa(Barnard Hughes). During the nights in which they spend their time at an amusement park, Michael starts following an attractive girl named Star(Jami Gertz), and is introduced to her boyfriend, David(Kiefer Sutherland), and his gang of punks. Sam starts hanging out with Edgar(Corey Feldman) and Allen(Jamison Newlander)Frog who claim to be vampire hunters. Soon, odd things start happening at home with Michael, and no prizes to who guesses what's happening! The Lost Boys is an awesome vampire movie with cool flashes of the 80's, and an awesome soundtrack! 7/10.

Rated R for Vampire violence, language, and suggestive sexuality.

A Delight!

Author: FiendishDramaturgy from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
27 October 2003

Corey Haim is excellent (for once) in this Joel Schumacher comedy/horror.

There are two gangs which run the boardwalk of Santa Carla at night. One is a lawless bunch of wannabe bikers, the other is a blood-thirsty group of vampires boys. This movie omits the gag war which ensues throughout the literary work, but still manages to be a lovable and highly-liked production.

In my opinion, the reason behind this huge likability of this comedy/horror by the man who killed Batman (Yes, this is the same man who directed Batman 3 & 4), is the casting. In all fairness to Mr. Schumacher, he also directed "Bad Company," which I found absolutely delightful, and "Phone Booth," which I found compelling and highly entertaining.

These actors were perfectly cast in their roles, which lent a most endearing quality and a sense of something right, to this endeavor, which lacks in so many others. (Like Batman 3 & 4.) The soundtrack was perhaps the true star of this production, as it was literally the best part of the movie. However, the performances were professional, witty, and realistically offered by these veteran actors.

Another element omitted from this work, is the fact that Grampa was a veteran/retired Vampire Hunter, which explains his fortuitous entry at the end of this movie.

This star-studded cast each did his/her part to lend to this work a complete believability inside this dark fantasy. Some critics have labeled this movie as "pure camp," and while the "Frog Brothers" did lend a campy element to this production, the movie itself was of a good quality and deserves the recognition and following it enjoys. Their manes, Edgar and Alan Frog are an obvious alludiation to Edgar Alan Poe, and is thereby acceptable camp as the homagic element in its purest form.

Some of the scenes found within are quite compelling, dramatic, and portrayed with veteran talent; ie: the scene where David (Keefer Sutherland) opens the ancient, ornate bottle containing the blood from which Michael must drink. It is perhaps ~the~ most compelling scene found within this movie. There are some edge-of-your-seat moments, good sound comedic elements, and an otherwise all around solid story to be found here.

The sets were excellent, the effects were horrifically believable, and the characters were well developed enough as to give the audience a good dose of concern for the principal participants. The addition of "Laddie" on the milk carton shows the level of detail and care given to this attempt, and again, the soundtrack just adds so much as the songs are fitting and right with each scene, carrying the audience from one scene to the next in smooth dissolves. Very well done.

I found the love interest between Michael and Star to be sweet, desperate, and tragic, as I believe it was meant to be. The fact that she chose to make love to Michael rather than feed from him was significant within the story line, as was Max's asking for Michael's invitation before he would enter the house, and as was Grampa's distasteful curl of the lip at Max's doing so.

Very well done production which highly deserves the kudos it's been given. I cannot say this movie was "scary," but it was suspenseful, funny, heart-warming, creative, and extremely regaling.

A remake would be in order, I think, within the next 10 years or so. It would be nice to expound on the gang wars a bit more, and give a better character treatment to Grampa in this one. And even though I am a fan of this original work, a little more true horror and less comedy would not hurt my feelings in the least. Although, it will be very hard, in my opinion, to recast the role of "Sam." This, again in my opinion, was Haim's best portrayal in any role to date.

It rates an 8.9/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Undoubtedly one of the best

Author: mjw2305 from England
23 January 2005

I watched this again yesterday, after not seeing it for years. I expected to see its age, but i didn't. Very few films could boast this, in the world of visual effects that we live in now. Its not just the effects though, its everything, the script is still fresh, the characters still seem current and the story could still surprise new viewers. The only thing i was sure wouldn't age was the soundtrack and of course it hasn't.

So for anyone who wants to see how a vampire movie should be made, check this out, it is still one of the best around.

8/10 Brilliant

An Extremely Entertaining Vampire Movie (SPOILERS)

Author: I_Am_The_Taylrus from Minnesota
29 August 2007

SPOILERS

Well, I have finally seen the iconic horror film that is the Lost Boys. After the painful experience I had with the Two Coreys, I never wanted to lay my eyes on Corey Haim and Corey Feldman ever again, but I was interested in seeing this film. I put my anger at them aside and watched this film. I really enjoyed this movie, actually, and I think I am able to forgive Haim and Feldman over their awful "reality show." They are actually pretty good in this film, as well as Jason Patric, Barnard Hughes as the unsettling but humorous grandpa. and Kiefer Sutherland. Speaking of Kiefer, I think he is exceptionally creepy in this film. He may always be creepy, but still, he was fantastic in this film. However, I do believe that Jami Gertz was a little robotic as Star, but she was overall okay. I still do not know why this film was rated R. There was nothing that bad in it. It deserved a PG-13 rating. The soundtrack of this movie is also very good and entertaining to just hear. From the Doors to the spooky theme song Cry Little Sister, this film is jam packed with memorable songs from the eighties.

Here is the plot of the Lost Boys. Lucy Emerson and her two sons named Sam and Michael move in with the sons' grandpa to the town named Santa Carla. At a carnival Michael meets Star, who is a member of a motorcycle gang, lead by David. To become a member of the gang, Michael must do a number of strange things, including jumping into the fog and even drinking blood. Michael then starts to change. He begins wearing sunglasses all the time in the sun, sleeping all day and going out in the night, and more. Sam begins to think that he is a vampire after he is given a vampire comic book by two vampire hunters named Edgar and Allen. After it has become apparent that the gang is made up of vampires, they try to find the leader of the vampires. Sam suspects Lucy's boyfriend, Max, but they then doubt that. Edgar, Allen, and Sam then make a plan to kill the vampire gang. They, with the help of Michael, destroy the gang, but then find out that Max is the lead vampire. When Max tries to kill Lucy, grandpa then kills Max.

Overall, this is a down-right awesome vampire movie. This is the first of its kind about teenage vampires and after a barrage of countless rip-offs, this is still the best of the best. The make-up on the vampires is fantastic, the directing by Joel Schumacher is solid and creepy, and the writing can be light-hearted, funny, and scary, not necessarily at the same time in the script, though. This may not be the scary but today's standards, but that does not mean that this is not a bad film at all. Anyway, this is a must-see horror film that is sure to entertain anybody.

Recommended Films: Dracula.

All hail the '80s!

Author: nichol_storm from Raleigh, MS
14 April 2003

When their mother Lucy (an appealing Dianne Wiest) divorces their father, brothers Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim) find themselves dragged across the country to their grouchy grandfather's house in Santa Carla, California. Not only is it a wooden shack, it's filled with taxidermied animals and -- horror! -- doesn't have TV. If that was the sole sum of their problems, then this would be a pretty dull movie.

Fortunately, Michael attends a concert in which he notices a beautiful flame-haired girl named Star (Jami Gertz). She likes him, he likes her, the cheesy '80s soundtrack swells. Much to Michael's dismay, however, he finds she's running with a biker gang led by David (Kiefer Sutherland, sporting the most serious "business up top, party on the bottom" haircut I've ever seen). Trying to get closer to Star, Michael falls in with David's gang and after imbibing a bottlefull of wine that looks suspiciously like blood, he begins to realize something's up when he starts levitating and trying to drink his brother's blood.

Meanwhile, Sam meets the Frog Brothers who are serious and professional vampire hunters despite being all of thirteen years old. In order to save Michael from vamping out permanently, they have to track the lead vampire to his lair and stake him. Easier said than done!

This is a great movie. Not "Citizen Kane" great, of course, or even "Titanic" great, but marvelous cheesy fun that's somehow of better quality than it deserves to be. The comedy is genuinely funny, the horror is genuinely scary, and the romance falls genuinely flat, but hey! you can't win 'em all. Jason Patric is at his youngest, prettiest, and most Jim Morrison-esque as Michael, and is a darn good actor to boot. I'll never understand why he never made the leap to big-time star. Spike from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: the Series" is such an obvious rip-off of Kiefer Sutherland's David that it's not even funny. Kiefer did the 'charming, charismatic, leather-clad vampire bad-boy with the peroxide-blond hair and more of a heart than you might expect' thing first, and did it better, IMHO.

Okay, so the '80s fashion and haircuts may be scarier than the vampires, but this is still a fine little flick that should be seen at least once, if for no better reason than to bask in the beauty of Jason Patric and Kiefer Sutherland in their youthful glory. And if you don't go that way, you still have Jami Gertz to provide the attractive female eye candy. So check it out, and if you're like me, it'll leave you wishing for that sequel they planned but never made (curse you, film gods! It's not too late -- what have Corey Haim and Corey Feldman done since this movie? They could return for the sequel!)

The Vampire Movie for Anyone Who's Sick of Vampire Movies

Author: Jenna Blake Morris
16 September 2014

It was the late 2000s, and the inexplicable Twilight frenzy had descended in all its sparkling, full-forced madness. I'm sure we all remember the ensuing scramble to vault onto the paranormal bandwagon, and how quickly the media became glutted with all things supernatural. So it goes without saying that when my mom dragged out a vampire movie, I wasn't thrilled.

But I guess that's just another example why people go around saying "Mother knows best."

The vampire movie was director Joel Schumacher's 1987 film The Lost Boys, and it's now one of my favorite movies. Despite the fact that it's over thirty years old and has been followed by a tidal wave of movies and books on the same subject, The Lost Boys remains a fresh, unique take on vampire lore.

Unlike many recent paranormal stories, the film doesn't try to turn its subject completely on its head in order to carve out an original place for itself. The vampires are dangerous, careless, and strangely magnetic--in keeping with their roots. However, they've also been updated, given a modern edge. Rather than stuffy Transylvanians skulking in castles, they're a motorcycle gang racing around the cliffs of California. Instead of red-lined capes, they wear leather and piercings.

The film opens with brothers Michael (played by Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim)--plus their mom--moving to California to live with their grandfather. Their mother begins seeing a new man, and Michael (the older brother) soon falls in with the aforementioned motorcycle gang. Meanwhile, Sam passes his time with comic books. At the local comic shop, he meets two boys his own age. They introduce themselves as the Frog brothers and warn him that the area has a vampire problem, explaining that they're vampire hunters.

Sam doesn't exactly take their words to heart, but before long, he needs to. The motorcycle gang pressures Michael into drinking from a bottle of "wine" as an initiation rite. He downs it without realizing it's actually blood. However, because he hasn't killed anyone yet, he only becomes a half-vampire. With some help from the Frog brothers (Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander), Sam and Michael learn that Michael's vampirism will be reversed if they kill the leader of the vampire gang (Kiefer Sutherland).

Plenty of great story elements follow. There's a little bit of something for everyone: plot twists, action, romance, humor--and even water guns filled with holy water. For me, however, one of the most compelling things is the dynamic between Sam and Michael. It's never heavy-handed or all that sentimental—"No chick flick moments," as Supernatural's Dean Winchester famously insisted—but the brothers' relationship is at the core of the movie. Their bonds with their mother and grandfather are also fleshed out, giving the film a strong, family-centric backbone.

Then, of course, there are the vampires: the eternally young "lost boys" the title refers to. For quite a while now, it's seemed like vampires have progressively been getting watered down. This one strolls through sunlight. This one's actually a really nice guy, if you give him a chance. That one drinks from Bambi, for Pete's sake. After being bombarded by all that, I was relieved to find vampires who could be menacing again.

My only complaint is the relationship between Michael and another of the half-vampires, a girl named Star. While she's the one who gets him involved with the gang in the first place, I don't feel like their relationship adds anything to the movie. It seems more the studio tossed it in because they felt like a potential Hollywood hit would need some romance in the mix. However, I think that time could've been put to better use by focusing it more on the vampires themselves, or on brothers' relationship with each other or with their grandpa. All in all, this is one of my go-to favorites for recommendations or movie nights. The horror, action, and humor strike a great balance, and aside from the '80s hair and some of Sam's fashion choices, this one stands the test of time beautifully. If nothing else, it's a blissful reprieve from all the sparkling and humanity of today's vampires—a nod to tradition without bending backwards for it. I recommend this film as the vampire movie for anyone who's sick of vampire movies--because that's exactly what it was for me.

A hip and fun thrill ride!

Author: AngryChair from Brentwood, USA
21 January 2006

Cult classic of the 80's, this vampire flick isn't really a horror film but a terrifically fun adventure.

Brothers move to a California coast town where they are menaced by a gang of teen bikers... who just happen to be vampires!

There's little wonder that The Lost Boys became a favorite of the late 80's. It's a movie that has a flair for comedy and thrills, as well as a surprisingly exciting story. This movie doesn't waste anytime with its fast-pace. The movie's comical dialog is quotable good! Joel Schumacher does a splendid job directing this movie, giving it a wonderfully slick look and a sexual vibe. The special FX are quite good as well, the climax of the movie being especially spectacular. The Lost Boys also has an awesome rock soundtrack, the Gerard McMann song 'Cry Little Sister' is a great theme for this movie and the Echo and the Bunnymen cover of 'People are Strange' is a perfect touch.

The cast is a true highlight. Jason Patric is both attractive and convincing as a teen who is fighting the urge to bite! Kiefer Sutherland may look like he just jumped off of MTV but he makes for a great villain as the leader of the vamp thugs. Jami Gertz is good as a young lady who has fallen in with the gang. Corey Haim provides some comic relief as our young hero who's trying to save his big brother. Dianne Wiest is great as the boys mother, as is Corey Feldman as a local kid/vampire hunter! Barnard Hughes is a hoot as the grandfather, who delivers one funny conclusion for this movie.

The Lost Boys is great fun all the way and remains one of the most stylish modern vamp movies around. Defanatly worth checking out.

*** 1/2 out of ****

Thankfully Lost Boys Doesn't Take Itself Very Seriously

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
26 September 2007

Joel Schumaker's The Lost Boys is an outrageous comedy adventure with a cast composed of some of the mid-80s' hottest male teen idols. The film successfully walks the tightrope between schlock-horror-comedy, young adult romance-adventure, family movie, and talent showcase. And there is no gore! Like most of Schumaker's work, Lost Boys is very Hollywood. Unlike most of the subsequent vampire films, however, Lost Boys very rarely takes itself seriously. Though most of the film's humor is pretty dated, it essentially hybridizes Ferris Bueller's day off and Interview with the Vampire.

Corey Haim and Jason Patric are two brothers who have just moved with their mom (Rachel Weist) to a new boardwalk town. Michael (Patric) wastes no time getting himself mixes up with a mysterious beauty (Jami Gertz) and her hive of vampires who literally hang out in a ruined hotel nestled within the San Andreas Fault. Meanwhile, his brother (Haim) has met a pair of ca. 9-year-old wannabe vampire slayers. Kiefer Sutherland and Jason Patric give particularly strong performances and really drive most of this film.

The cinematography is very good and quite consistent with the film's tongue-in-cheek approach. The script is economical and appropriate, though a bit dated. The editing is fine. Schumaker is Schumaker, and if your familiar with him, you know what you're going to get in his films - well-paced economical entertainment designed for a big budget which blends Hollywood formulae with big name talent and an at least half-thought-out plot. In other words, Schumaker always at least tries to give a lot of bang for your buck. The formula works here, and, in my opinion, more than it usually does.

Unlike most modern gothics, Lost Boys uses special effects and make up very sparingly. It is refreshing to see a horror film without CGI and vats full of cow blood. However, the film is fairly dated, and not all that original (similar in style and story to Return of the Living Dead, among others). Still, it's a better film than it deserves to be,and one of my top-rated from Schumaker.

I miss the 80ties!

Author: Peter Hoeg (redseatrading@hotmail.com) from Ribe, Denmark
16 April 2002

To me the 80ties were defined by the strong and confident acting of people like Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Andrew McCarthy etc etc. And also The Lost Boys is one of those magnificent flicks that takes you back to easier times. It is by far one of the best vampire movies ever made. It had it all. The Corey's, Kiefer Sutherland, Jason Patric, Alex Winter and beautiful Jami Gertz. I've had my own copy of this movie for years now, but I still watch it if it comes on tv late at night. That's the only real way to watch a pearl like this!

Page 2 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]