IMDb > House II: The Second Story (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

House of Misbegotten Boredom

Author: Bogmeister from United States
25 May 2006

This House tale has nothing to do with the first "House" of a couple of years earlier and doesn't really qualify as a sequel even as it tries to capture some of that same wry humor, but it doesn't stand well on its own, being mostly non-sensical. Plot has to do with another house, this one with Aztec-influenced architecture, also with other-dimensional passages now and then. Some ghost or demon has been after a special skull for unknown reasons, killing the main character's parents 25 years earlier. The main character (Gross) goes after the jewel-covered skull by digging up an ancestor's grave and ends up resurrecting his great great grandpa (Dano) as a 100+ year old zombie. The pic then dwells on this old dude in unfunny scenes, but Gross and his buddy (Stark) also show why they never had great careers in the movies. The cast is uniformly lame throughout. It also all seems to be an excuse to have a few scenes in a prehistoric jungle, with brief dinosaur FX. Bill Maher shows up in a small role; he made his mark later in his Politically Incorrect & HBO shows. Oddly enough, the main connection to the previous film is that another actor from the "Cheers" TV show plays a part (Ratzenberger here; Wendt in the first one). The old guy's nemesis finally shows up near the end, still after that skull. It's all poorly paced and exceedingly dull, failing at the humor and just plain stupid - unless you're 6 or 7 years old, maybe.

I love campy movies but this a bit too Campy for me

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
12 January 2013

Why is this rated 15? , He Should have been a PG! as this as got to be the babies horror movie I ever sat thought, it was Absolutely ridiculous.

The whole movie felt like watching Kids TV show like Sesame Street, the next time I baby siting i will show my nephew (Who is 8), I got him into Chucky When he was 5. He love watching Seed of Chucky!, I am sure that even he won't find this movie funny or scary at all!

I just found the whole movie very childish and Creatures in this movie, what the hell, Well that dog was kinda of Cute lol.

The acting was well very cheesy in this movie, it fitted in really well rest of really too cheesy movie.

I didn't not find this movie funny at all and it was not scary at all and it was not even rude, there were no swear words in this movie

3 out of 10, Really Silly

Condemn this house!

Author: divittokelly from United States
11 October 2012

Wow! This film was so incredibly awful, my two children are still mad at me for showing it. My wife was the smart one; she left after ten minutes to read a book. It's stunning how anyone could give this piece of cinematic basura a respectable review. I do a weekly film program at my library and showed the original House (one of my favorites!) and people loved it. I'll never understand why filmmakers try to make sequels convoluted and over-the-top. The first House had the right mixture of horror and comedy. William Katt was perfect in his role and Richard Moll a great villain. The 'Gramps' character was just plain stupid and the two main actors were Wonderbread bland. No one saw this disaster coming? In a nutshell: bad story + bad acting = bad movie!

A Lot of Imagination but Little Else

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
23 August 2012

House II: The Second Story (1987)

** (out of 4)

Twenty-five years after his parents were murdered, Jesse (Arye Gross) moves back into the very house and learns about the mysterious skull after digging up his great, great grandfather (Royal Dano) who just happens to knew the gunfighter from his previous life. HOUSE II: THE SECOND STORY isn't nearly as good as the first film in the series but there's no question that you've at least got to give the screenwriter, director and producers credit for at least going all out in regards to the imagination in the film. Again, there's some pretty wild things going on here from zombies to dinosaurs to a jungle in one of the rooms. All of this keeps the viewer guessing at what's going to happen next because the film is simply all over the place. The problem is that none of it is all that interesting and there's a lack of energy that really runs throughout the film. Another problem is that the director simply didn't make any of the comedic moments funny. There's no question that the film has a sense of humor in its scenes and you pretty much have to when you consider how over-the-top the story is. The problem is that the scenes aren't funny and this just makes the entire thing feel flat. Gross wasn't all that energetic either and I found him to be a bit too bland for the lead. Bill Maher has a supporting part and his brand of comedy is on full display as his comic timing is one of the best things about the film. Horror fans will enjoy seeing a brief bit of Lar Park Lincoln and we have Gregory Walcott of PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE fame in a bit part. Henry Manfredini, best remembered for his Friday THE 13TH score, also worked on the music here and sure enough, he ripped off several cues of his own score to that classic 1980 film (which is something he often did).

maybe, just maybe a toddler would be frightened

Author: trashgang from Midian
16 April 2012

I didn't like the original House but naturally I had to see the franchise but what a mistake this was. Thousands and thousands of flicks I have seen since the end of the seventies all horror and sci-fi but this here is just one utterly boring flick that I even used the fast forward button, a thing I normally never do. House was one for teenagers but this here is for toddlers. Ethan Wiley, also involved in House (screenplay) did wrote and directed this dull flick.

The directing was okay and so many genre actors were involved coming from Fright Night ((1985) Jonathan Stark), to Lar Park-Lincoln (Friday the 13th part VII (1988)) to Royal Dano (Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983)) but I just can't understand that they agreed to this childish flick. The creatures or animals looked really stupid and I didn't like them, for a horror. And the use of blue key (skeleton horse) and stop/motion (dinosaurs) really was outdated for 1987.

The best part is only the last 15 minutes, at that part are a few nice effects. But overall it's just a family film in the tradition of Harry and the Hendersons (1987).

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 1/5 Comedy 0/5

It has it's floors (flaws/floors... geddit?), but it's still quite fun.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
30 October 2010

House II: The Second Story has got to be one of the most random films I've seen, veering wildly from haunted house film to zombies to buddy flick to alternate dimension/time-travel tale to jungle adventure to western, with plenty of other goofy stuff sprinkled liberally throughout. Unsurprisingly, this scatter-shot approach rarely makes sense and can serve to irritate, but at the same time, it is this very eclecticism that keeps one glued to the screen; any film that features an electrician/adventurer (played by Cheers' regular John Ratzenberger), a drunken jerk who just happens to keep an Uzi in the trunk of his car, and a meal scene where the diners include a 170 year old man, a prehistoric bird, a dogerpillar (like a caterpillar, but with a dog's face), and a beautiful Aztec sacrificial virgin really has got to be seen to be believed!

Also serving to make this film an enjoyably daft treat, particularly if you're fan of old-school fantasy/horror fans, are the various make-up and pre-CGI special effects: prosthetics, animatronics, and stop-motion techniques are utilised to bring a collection of supernatural creatures to life, and there are a few pretty cool matte painting shots used to help create convincing other-dimensional worlds. If the zany nature of the plot annoys you, just lap up the inventive visuals; after all, how often do you get to see a zombie gunslinger riding a skeletal horse?

5.5 out of 10, rounded up to 6 for IMDb.

good sequel

Author: callanvass
7 December 2003

good sequel can not match the original but it is still a entertaining sequel although it gets a bit silly a times it is dopey fun royal dano is great and it is just fun to watch well worth seeing *** out of 5

LIGHTEN UP, FOLKS!!!

Author: bekayess from Orlando, FL
2 August 2001

HOUSE (1) was not really a horror film--it was more a comedy/horror/fantasy. So the HOUSE 2 "sequel" goes down the comedy path more than horror. Take it for what it is. (For comparison, consider HALLOWEEN 3: SEASON OF THE WITCH, another non-sequel, which is still very engrossing and fun in its own right.)

Horrible.

Author: Smile_U_SOB from Fang, Utah
17 September 2007

This is one of the worst movies ever made. The first "House" was great. one of the first comedy/horror films. You really have an adventure inside of that "House", which was a normal two story house. This house thought is gigantic, and full of portals to other worlds. The two heroes are very weak. The plot is lame and boring. There is a zombie cowboy who is supposed to be funny, and he's horrible. He's watching TV in one scene, and sees Ronald Reagan (at that time the President) in an old film, and starts going on and on about how Reagan is a "sissy". This is a guy who just entered the eighties after being somewhat dead since the 1800s and he has a liberal left wing bent. Or... maybe it was the writer of the film displaying his political agenda on his sleeve, as happens so much, and always against the right. It's how things are, and people like myself have to take it, take it, and take it some more. This film is horrible. Really bad. There is no plot, bad acting. It looks like it was made straight to video.

Not Good

Author: abhilash7
17 December 2003

House 2 is not at all a sequel to the first one. Different story,different house, different actors. And this one is not as good as the first house. House 1 tried mixing humor with horror. This movie is just plain humor which is not even funny for most part and not least bit a horror movie. The whole plot and movie is goofy and rolls non stop action. If you loved wackiness of the movie "Big Trouble in Little China" then you may want to check this out. Otherwise one of the worst movies I ever saw.

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]