IMDb > House II: The Second Story (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Not bad at all

Author: sistasaint from United States
11 August 2006

This movie got my son through a lot of tough times (he was only 4 at the time). He LOVED it! And for that, I have to give it an 8. If you like somewhat scary movies, but don't like to be scared witless, then you'll love this movie. If you'd prefer to be scared out of your wits or if you have no imagination or plan to compare this movie with the standards of horror today, then spare yourself the frustration.

The acting is a bit second rate and the "scariness" of it might seem a bit cheesy but back when it came out, I remember jumping a few times. Overall, I think this movie is worth the watch. Besides, it's kind of fun to see the actors when they were younger and see how they've grown.

This is one crazy film...

Author: cn313 from Germany
10 March 2006

First of all I'd like to say that when I watched this movie for the first time I was about 7 years old and it was kinda weird to me then. Now, when i watched it a couple of months ago i could understand the movie much better and i gotta say that i really like it... I think if you wanna watch a scary movie then this is surely the wrong one, cause it's more a funny movie, but that makes it not worse...the main characters are brilliant and the story is good as well. I think if you like the 80s you're gonna like this movie. It's a movie to chill and relax so if you haven't seen it yet, call some buddies , buy some chips & beer and enjoy the film!

Bill Towner

Author: matt from United States
15 May 2005

I can't believe I just read the 4 pages of comments for this film and not one person mentioned the name Bill Towner. The character John Ratzenberger plays. He saves this movie. I remember watching the first half of the film and saying to a friend that HOUSE 1 was better. Then I got hit by a scud missle of cinematic heaven when Bill Towner rang the doorbell. There is more to this character than many of us know. Bill is a man of many trades and works for Bureau 13. If you will do some research you will understand what I mean. I swear when I say that I actually got 1000 business cards that say "BIll TOWNER,ELECTRICIAN & ADVENTURER, and my phone number on it. Two light bulbs in the top corners and everything. I just discovered House 2 about 6 months ago and weeks later I had this done. ALso I noticed that no one called the "cute little green thing" it's proper species name. A Dogipillar. OWN THIS FILM. WATCH THE BILL TOWNER SCENE OVER AND OVER AND LEARN.

A House for the Kids

Author: Dave Kaminskas (Cyber256702000@yahoo.com) from Royal Oak, MI
30 July 2009

Jesse and his girlfriend move into an old mansion that his parent died in 25 years ago. He starts to learn about his past through old books in the basement and learns of his great grandfather who was an adventure and found a crystal skull. Jesse decides that he is going to find the crystal skull with the help of his friend Charles, but he soon finds more than he bargained for.

House was a quirky horror comedy in the vain of Evil Dead, House 2 drops all the horror and bumps up the comedy and becomes more of a goofy kids movie in the vain of The Goonies. The monsters in this one are for the most part non-threatening cute puppets and such and the comedy is mostly bizarre (why does Charles have an uzi?, Why is the electrician an adventurer?) Nothing really makes sense, but the random nature makes it funny.

This film is also more of an adventure film in which the house opens up portals into other time periods which gives the film an overall episodic feel and keeps things a bit fresh and interesting.

The acting isn't very good, but in a film like this it doesn't need to be. The special effects are fairly good and I loved the cute monster puppets and stop motion effects.

House 2 is a stupid movie, I can't see fans of the first movie liking the second one to well. It has almost nothing in common with the first one, there are no returning characters and even the house is different. But I still kind of liked it, maybe even better than the first. This one is more for kids than adults, but if you like bizarre random humor, you might get a kick out of this.

** out of ****

Nice

Author: teodeceglie from Italy
19 March 2008

I was sure to find the usual negative for the classic'80s horror film. This site is safe meet in negative judgment on a horror film. All horror movies suck, we do not save one, is crazy. Detestate: prom night, Creepshow, society exception etc. The film is very nice. A good comedy horror 80 years, beautiful women, good special effects for the time, we are just irony and the classic'80s horror film. This film in Italy was also known as the home of Helen. A good film for the period. Go now to see the crimes of black cat and I am sure that meet a new negative judgment. Next time when dell'iscrizio remember that horror films on the site are all rejected.

More Fantasy than Horror

Author: boyinflares from New Zealand
28 December 2006

Originally believing "House 2: The Second Story" to be along the lines of the rest of the "House" franchise, what I thought was a horror franchise, my main reason for watching it was because one of my favourite actresses, the glamorous Lar Park-Lincoln was starring in it. How wrong I was. Park-Lincoln does not "star" in the film, she merely "features", and in a variety of fabulous eighties outfits I must add.

"House 2: The Second Story" revolves around the bizarre adventures that Jesse (Arye Gross) and his friends have in a strange house when he inherits it following the deaths of his birth parents some years ago. The adventures are all out-of-this-world and and an unusual array of creatures feature. Lar Park-Lincoln plays Jesse's girlfriend, the sultry Kate, and as usual Lar gives a great performance (with what little she has to do) before she is written out along with Amy Yasbeck, who plays Jana, the girlfriend of Charlie (Jonathan Stark), Jesse's bumbling friend. The late Royal Dano plays Jesse's long-dead great-grandfather, and John Ratzenberger gives a terrific, albeit brief, performance as Bill the electrician.

Even though "House 2" is rather campy, plodding and certainly not a horror, it is watchable, if not for Park-Lincoln's brief appearance, or the decent acting of Arye Gross, then for the great puppetry and special effects, which were actually quite good for the late 1980's. And, hey, we all live a bit of Fantasy don't we?

An amusing movie with a twist

Author: cwdfwtx from texas
15 July 2003

This movie is not as bad as most think it is .Still a fun movie although 16 yrs old ,it has some funny moments and is mild enough for kids.I thought it better than House and is played strictly for laughs Poss spoilers. I enjoyed seeing this movie back in 1987 while living in San Diego. I too thought it a sequel to House but it turned out to be its own story totally unrelated to the original House movie. Most people like I did thought it might be a horror/gore thing but it was rated pg so i kinda knew it wasnt going to be. The premise was creepy enough with them digging up the great-great grandfather and having him come alive and grab Jesse by the throat as if to kill him. After Charlie tries to save him , they both get thrown in the grave and the zombie is revealed to be Jesse's great-great grandfather Gramps.There the movie takes a completely different direction and alot of people in the audience got up and left ,apparently disappointed at this twist.I admit I was too but I stayed and watched and it turned out to be quite funny with Charlie trying to teach gramps to drive ,party and some of the lines by Gramps were hilarious. I liked Arye Gross as Jessie and Jonathan Stark as Charlie and esp Royal Dano as Gramps(he is a total hoot and his eyes are so sad) but what I couldnt stand was that jerk Bill Maher as a feminine stuck up twit record producer, who to me is an ass in real life too,Amy Yasbeck as a total flake playing Charlie's gal and Lar Park Lincoln as Jesse's girlfriend,she was a whining bitch ,I would have dumped all 3 of them in the trash bin. John Ratzenberger of Cheers fame also plays an electrician/adventurer who just happens to discover an aztec temple in the wall(some other dimension)-his part was typical shtick Cliff Clavin and it was funny. They must like Cheers in these movies as another Cheers Alumni(George Wendt was in the original house).

The movie basically centers around an ancient crystal skull that grants everlasting life to whoever possesses it . Jesse's great-great grandfather needs it to restore himself to normal again. Hijinks ensue with Jesse and his friend Charlie trying to keep evil creatures from taking the skull.Amusing scenes at a Halloween party ,in the prehistoric past ,in an aztec temple and with a pterodactyl baby bird add to the fun. The climax has Gramps old enemy from the past(Slim) return to life. Seems they were partners 100 or so yrs ago in the Old West and had a falling out,so now Slim wants the skull for himself and also wants to kill everyone else. Now Jesse must rescue his friends,get the skull back from Slim and save Gramps life(for without the skull he will die for good). The end is good with a spooky chase and gunfight between Slim and Jesse. Sadly Jesse cannot save Gramps who was shot by Slim and dies.Evidently there was a limit to the skulls power and Gramps realizes that hed done all he could do in this world and it was time to move on to the next life. His scene with Jesse was very sad as they both said they loved each other and how neat it was for Gramps to meet his great-great grandson.His eyes are so sad when he dies. Slim gets his just rewards in the end too, blasted in the head by Jesse and also by the local sheriff who has come to investigate a disturbance. The house catches fire and Jesse and the others escape through a door to the past. He buries Gramps and sets the skull on the grave marker somewhere in the desert and rides off with his friends to a new life in the past. This to me left the door open for a possible sequel with Jesse and his friends maybe trying to get back to the future and maybe running into Gramps in the past and a whole new adventure but it never happened and on a sad note ,Royal Dano(Gramps) passed away. I give it 7 out of 10. See you at the movies

A waste of 88 minutes

Author: disconnected88 from New Zealand
17 January 2006

As hard as it is to troll through all the years of terrible films I've seen, I do not think it is unreasonable to say that House II is the single worst movie i have ever seen. It was worse than the first one even.

The film starts semi promisingly with a couple moving into a massive mansion, which looks like a castle. In the middle of the night Jess can't sleep, so he gets up and wanders around. After hearing a sound, he explores, and the dud jump scene ruins any hope of some good horror. From this point onwards the film becomes awash in the sort of feeble storyline and bad acting that leaves the audience screaming in frustration. The plot flies follows no apparent path, and the action leaps from pre-historic settings, to Aztecs, back to reality, to the wild west so quickly that one wonders how the film received funding at all.

The reason I did not give this film 1 out of 10 is because it did have some moments of comedy, both physically and verbally. Unfortunately there is absolutely no horror, and what little comedy there is quickly falls flat. This film is a waste of both the $1.50 per month rental fee and the 88 minutes spent watching.

House of fun :-)

Author: Albert van Peppen from Duiven, The Netherlands
8 February 2009

I think this one of the not too many funny horror movies from the 80's.

As a horror 'die' hard in the 80's I've seen a lot of crappy horror movies, a lot of good, scary movies but just a few horror movies with such a comedic background in th story.

It is still great to look at the movie now, more than 20 years later. Although the scary effects of the 80's are less than today.

The most fun is the old grandpa who seems to find all kind of ways to get into crazy situations all the time.

And the crystal skull is great! I've tried to get one of those after I saw the movie the first time. And finally after 12 years found one that was payable for me :)

Great Sequel

Author: Ed Moorehouse from Everett, WA
25 December 2001

First Off, For people Who Say this Film as Nothing to do With the Original...That is wy the Call i "The Second Story"!! Second as in Different or as in Next. I Think this Film is Not Horror or Comedy as Most people Say, But more Like Fantasy. I say Fantasy because There are (And This Could Spoil Parts of the Film) Scenes where they Travel back to the Prehistoric ages, Parts where a Group of Head Hunters Capture the Sacred Scull (Which the Entire Film Revolves Around), and, Of Course, an Unforgettable Ending, Where most of the Horror Comes From. Would I Recommend House II: The Second Story to Someone? Most Certainly. It's Great fun for the Whole Family (and Unlike the First One, very little Violence) Grade: A.

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]