IMDb > Wings of Honneamise (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ôritsu uchûgun Oneamisu no tsubasa

Wings of Honneamise More at IMDbPro »Ôritsu uchûgun Oneamisu no tsubasa (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Meticulously constructed alternate world makes for one of my favorite movies

Author: mr_observador from Puerto Rico
5 March 2003

The only way I can describe how this film makes me feel is to compare it to a child watching My Neighbor Totoro. It is animation but not quite what you see everyday. It has a plot but it has subtle and even hidden depth.

To me this film is so good that it ceases to be "just anime" to become film art in the truest sense: it conjures up an imaginary world and makes it real, people have troubles and tribulations and we identify with them, everything comes to conclusion and we are changed by it and for the better.

For people think this is just sunday network cartoons two hours long I recommend watching this alongside Apollo 13 and/or Forrest Gump and try to find the analogies, you'll be surprised.

Unique, moving, beautiful.

Author: Hew Parham (hewparham@hotmail.com) from Adelaide, Australia
25 May 1999

"Honneamise no tsubasa" is clearly the masterpiece of Japanese anime. I was lucky enough to see this film for the first time at the cinema, and I feel for those of you who have only been able to see it on video. What you miss is the immaculate artistry of the animation: the detail, the complexity, the invention and most of all the beauty. The opening credits are up there amongst my favourites (Vertigo, Delicatessen) not because of any originality - the use of pictures in credits have been done before (Days of Heaven) - but more because of the use of Japanese water painting of these images. It is also the blending of these images with the right music which makes the credits so exquisite. But also the great thing about this movie for all of us, is the wonderful story that is told. The use of a parallel earth in which the events occur is ingenius, it allows the story to remain in a sense inherently Japanese but also universal. See this film it is a gem

Gainax's magnum opus

Author: Eddy Hartanto from Los Angeles, USA
19 March 1999

Honneamise no tsubasa is one of the most experimental animated features I have ever seen. It had some amazingly detailed and beautiful visual designs, deep concept and storyline, unique scenes that had never been done before, and so much more. Gainax had done a tremendous amount of research for this title, as a result they succeeded in virtually creating a new world, complete with its own culture, costumes, architecture, tradition, religion, rituals, etc. The character animation may lag at certain points and the film's pacing may feel a little bit too slow from time to time, but they are just minor gripes if you consider the overall greatness of the film. The Anime also contains some wonderful scenes that are practically some of animation's most glorious moments. It has the best ending I have ever seen in an animated feature, in fact, the last 20 minutes of the film are amazing beyond words. You have to see this film yourself , and definitely see it more than once. This is the anime not just for animation fans, but everyone who likes great and grandiose space opera in line of 2001: Space Odyssey

A bit slow, but has one of the best endings in all of anime.

Author: Jeremy Bristol from Plattsmouth, NE
8 June 2001

For all the flaws in this movie (actual or perceived), I have to admit that ending has stuck with me since I first saw the dubbed version five years ago. All that fighting, all that posturing--for what? No one end up caring, no one listens to their pleas for the end of violence. It is very easy to understand how these moviemakers were able to later make Neon Genesis Evangelion, which has many of the same issues (religion, an examination of the belief that some people have that "the way justifies the means," technology and the use and misuse of it by humans, etc.).

The biggest problem I have with the movie is the attempted rape scene and the victim's subsequent forgiveness of the perpetrator (the hero of the movie). I couldn't tell whether the filmmakers were being sarcastic of her religion or if they really felt it was a good thing for her to forgive him--or if they needed that scene at all. I bought the DVD, hoping that the director's commentary would shed more light on the subject--they spend more time discussing how the cels (of the girl naked) were stolen before they could give them to friends than they did explaining the purpose of the scene in the movie.

Another thing is that Wings doesn't completely break out of the anime mold to become a mainstream film--it occasionally slips into anime-style slapstick and there's a few too much insider talk (both in technological aspects and inside jokes).

Beyond that, it is a daring, engrossing but deliberately-paced animated film.

Excellent SF

Author: (tal_lap@bezeqint.net) from Israel
7 October 2001

Wings of Honneamise is what you'd call a work of "higher" science fiction; just like the fantasy genre is divided into swords-and-sorcery books (such as the Dragonlance series or the crap David Eddings writes - sorry, couldn't help myself) and more mature writings, such as A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le-Guin and the works of Lord Dunsany and J.R.R. Tolkien, so the SF genre can be divided into "higher" and "lower" SF. Lower SF consists of large ships, big lasers, mechas, and is epitomized in the works of Edward "Doc" Smith, George Lucas's Star Wars trilogy and most animes out there. Higher science fiction, in my eyes, ,means Philip K. Dick, Stanislaw Ulam, and Wings of Honneamise, or WOH for short.

WOH focuses on man's first attempt to launch a manned satellite into orbit around the earth; only it's not our earth, but rather a similar parallel world. The space program is ridiculed by almost everybody, including the main hero, until he meets a religious young woman who changes his mind. We follow the hero's training for the program and watch as he slowly matures from the apathetic dropout he begins out as.

This movie is about a lot of things: war, religion, politics, courage, friendship and more. It's much more than a "man goes to space" sort of film, like "Apollo 13" (starring Tom Hanks) is.

The depth and realism of this movie is astounding. During one scene where there's an explosion and water flies everyway, you can notice a rainbow in the background, which fades as the water scatters. The world is highly detailed and even the physics is correct (I always suspend belief when watching SF movies, but this one does a good job of getting the science right, as opposed to almost every other movie).

The weakest part of this movie is the music. It's well written but poorly executed in parts - it's always embarrassing to hear 1987 synthesizers attempt to mimic orchestral instruments. Ugh.

Regarding the rape scene, which seems to upset so many people: this can be understood based on her faith. Blaming Shirotsugh would on the part of Requinni (I hope the name is spelled that way) be admitting that even as he goes to the stars man is imperfect, an admission she is not willing to make. So instead she decides to take the blame on herself. The scene is unrealistic perhaps in today's PC America, but Requinni is anything but today's PC America. Whether or not it suits the tastes of the viewer - that's another question.

Brave film for a brave old world

Author: dhogstar from United Kingdom
21 January 2005

You have read the other comments so that should get you started. Great music. Great details. OK voiceovers. Didn't see the rape scene so i don't know about that. Slapstick humour works, as its not overdone everywhere in the film. Beauful sceneries and well animated for its time.

But its the storyline that is the gem of this film, and the acknowledged ending. You need the slow buildup for the ending to work. Can you spot the parallel Einstein? I don't see this film as hugely religious either, but more humanist. The parallel universe development of humankind in the end shows us how we have all come to were we are today of our own efforts, and take pride in this. It shows the beauty of everyday life and the greatness of small things. Religion is a part of us as well as technology and above all humanity. The message is to us, in this world.

Our launch to space, and as well the baby's first step is the key point. Although mass media and movies has made us blind to this. This film reexamines it and points this out. The makes of this film choose the narrow path and were brave.

10/10 - A must see movie for anybody.

An inspirational manga film

Author: mcas_uk from London
11 May 2004

i saw this film for the first time quite a while ago yet i still watch it regularly, mainly because of the intricate and amazing animation, (the architecture deserves special mention) and the fact that it has a story line worthy of the visuals, something which is not common amongst manga films in my opinion. it is not without its faults however, for example the slightly confusing religious aspect of the film, and some might complain that it does not have enough action in it but apart from this i found it to be a complex and involving film with brilliant music and well rounded deep characters, if anyone knows of any further work from the people who made this film i would be grateful for any info.

Awesome...

Author: pta-frog from Australia
2 February 2004

Do not listen to anybody bagging this movie, they do not have the experience with anime to appreciate it. Wings of Honeamise is a pinnacle in Japanese animation, it took anime to it's popularity. It made anime known.

One of my top ten favourite films.

Author: TheSteelHelmetReturns from Australia
1 October 2009

My favourite animated film and sadly unappreciated is Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise. The story is set in a fictional world where space travel has not yet been achieved and based around a cadet from the Royal Space Force who wants to see that change despite his peers thinking it is a suicide mission as all previous attempts have resulted in death. Royal Space Force and Akira were the two big Anime that marked the rise of that subculture in the West during the late eighties. Unfortunately, it was Akira that received all the attention from the fan base as it catered to an adolescent audience more than Royal Space Force, which is a drama and has a slower pace… and it's a shame. Admittedly, I didn't get into Royal Space Force on the first watch – however, repeated viewings have made me realise this film is not only better than most Anime – it is one of my top ten favourite films along side 2001: A Space Odyssey. The story has a rich number of themes being explored – knowing your place in the world and then understanding how trivial we are in the context of the universe, it looks at religion, the military-industrial complex, the relationship between men and women, loyalty, self-respect and most importantly – following one's dreams. The soundtrack is perfect for this as is the wonderful animation by GAINAX, the studio behind Neon Genesis Evangelion – there's an amazing montage sequence towards the end of the film that is so ambitious it is up there with the jump cut from the bone to the space station in 2001. I love this film, it is my favourite science fiction and it is the film I would recommend first from this list. Watch it once, give it day then watch it again.

THIS is anime.

Author: dbaguy666 from United States
9 September 2007

THIS is what hand-drawn anime should be. Not pink, spiky-haired characters with big eyes. I've been a fan of "anime" since Astro Boy in the 60's, and for the most part, it hasn't progressed.

A whole world is draw up and populated. Much seems familiar, like the Russian-inspired rocketry, and the inter-nation conflicts. Much is original, and quite believable.

Of course, I am the type that watches this in Japanese, with English subtitles. How else are you supposed to get some of the nuances and inflections?

I gave it a 9, and think it deserves it for profundity of the art of animation.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]