IMDb > Ghoulies II (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

B-Movie Classic

Author: michaeldaly99 from Ireland
16 June 2002

Before you watch this flick, don't expect much from it. It's a sequel to "Ghoulies", which should, respectively to the series, lower your standards of what to expect. It's unrealistic. It's cheesy. But it's damn ENTERTAINING! What you get is some rubber puppets, who take over a ghost house in a carnival, attracting visitors who think they're part of the attraction. It starts off with some lovable characters, namely Nigel the dwarf. Anyway, the ghoulies start killing some people who go in there. Then, near the end, they come out and there's a carnival massacre. Some mean killings here, such as death by being run-over by a bumper car. That's about it. This flick, the only "Ghoulies" movie I currently own, rests easy in my collection. Overall: 9/10

GORE BONUS: You wouldn't expect this, but there was actually some gore in this movie, which was edited for both the US PG-13 rating and the UK '15s' rating. The two scenes were, when the girl who is leaving the carnival goes in to the ghost house, she is tied to the floor and the ghoulies stab her before pulling the ropes. And, when the left over teenager gets lost in the ghost house, and the axe is lowered, it shows his stomach being opened and (fake looking) blood spurting out for a while. In the cut version, you just see the axe being lowered. "0m55s" was cut from the original UK video release, but the TV version is completely uncut.

Rated 15s for horror violence and mild gore, and some language

Funny and Cheesy Silliness

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4 September 2014

Larry (Damon Martin) and Uncle Ned (Royal Dano) are driving a truck to an amusement park with their attraction Satan's Den. They have to stop in a repair shop and four demons sneak and hide in the truck. They arrive at the carnival and hide inside the Satan's Den. The arrogant owner of the carnival P. Hardin (J. Downing) threatens to fire the employees if their attractions are not profitable and assigns the dwarf Sir Nigel Penneyweight (Phil Fondacaro) to work with Larry and Ned in the Satan's Den. He also hits on Larry's girlfriend Nicole (Kerry Remsen). When the audience sees the demons in the Satan's Den, they believe that they are part of the attractions and the entertainment becomes a sensation. But when people are attacked by the demons, there is panic in the carnival. Now Larry, Nigel and Nicole try to use an incantation to get rid of the creatures.

"Ghoulies II" is a funny and cheesy franchise similar to "Critters" and other "evil toys" in the late 80's and early 90's. The plot is silly with one dimensional characters and gruesome scenes, but entertains and is cult. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): Not Available

Damn good.

Author: Death_gothica
13 November 2003

*** stars out of ****.

I don't care what other people think of this film, i thought it rocked,

It had good acting (for this sorta film), a good plot, cool 80's score, and a variety of monsters. It also features some creepy moments and good suspense. as well as some pretty interesting-looking monster. any one who loves the equally great original should rent this, nice DVD by MGM. What are you waiting for? See it, see it now!

Passable PG-13 cheese horror.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
6 October 2013

Those hostile little beasts are at it again in this adequately entertaining sequel. It takes quite a while for it to really get started, but the final half hour is worth waiting for. It's actually played fairly straight for a while, with comedy elements getting introduced more and more as the movie goes on. The Ghoulies themselves are definitely cute in an ugly sort of way, and are a genuinely amusing bunch. Fortunately, some of the human characters manage to be almost as interesting.

After an attempt to kill the Ghoulies fails, they hitch a ride with a truck carrying the contents of "Satans' Den", a house of horrors for a travelling carnival. They hide out inside Satans' Den for a while, intermittently killing people, until the big finale when they finally break out. The place has been hurting financially, but when patrons get a look at the Ghoulies and assume them to be part of the act, business starts booming.

I have to be partial to any movie featuring the following elements: an appearance by old Hollywood pro Royal Dano, who's in fine form as drunken old Uncle Ned, a song by the metal band W.A.S.P. ("Scream Until You Like It"), old school effects (puppeteering, stop motion animation, etc.), a role for Italian exploitation veteran Romano Puppo ("2019: After the Fall of New York"), and a carnival atmosphere (even if done on a budget). Production design, by Giovanni Natalucci, and cinematography, by Sergio Salvati, are both well done.

The enjoyable cast features familiar faces from other horror films: Kerry Remsen ("Pumpkinhead"), Sasha Jenson ("Halloween 4"), Starr Andreeff ("Dance of the Damned"), William Butler ("Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III"), and Donnie Jeffcoat ("Night of the Demons" '88). Damon Martin ("Pee-wee's Big Adventure") is our likable young lead, Phil Fondacaro (who played the title role in "Troll") the engaging Sir Nigel Penneyweight, and J. Downing the appropriately odious money man Mr. Hardin.

Overall, agreeable entertainment for genre fans; produced and directed by Albert Band, veteran director and father of Charles Band of Empire Pictures and Full Moon fame.

Six out of 10.

What a surprise! This is actually better than the first one

Author: sgtking from United States
19 August 2009

They say when you find something that works you stick with it. Apparently a lot of people in the movie business feel this way, otherwise we wouldn't have so many sequels and remakes. There are a lot of films that didn't need a sequel, though sometimes the sequel(s) turned out not too bad. There are also a lot of films that didn't deserve a sequel, and the 1985 surprise hit 'Ghoulies' is one of them. Now I admit it's one of my guilty pleasures and I know I'm not alone, but it's only a minor one. But since it was a $1,000,000 movie that made around $35,000,000 in the US alone a sequel had to be around the corner. Thank goodness that sequel turned out to be even better than it's predecessor and an even more fun 80s B Horror movie.

Pros: The carnival makes a great new setting. The effects are a major improvement over the ones in the original. Performances are decent. The whole thing has a certain campy charm to it and unlike the first movie doesn't take itself too seriously. Pace just moves right along. A simple, but good score. Some creative kills. Though still not very good, the writing seems to be stronger and more focused this time making the film easier to enjoy.

Cons: Plot is thin. Totally lacking is scares and suspense. There's zero chemistry between the two leads. The kills are inventive, but unfortunately most are off screen. Very dated.

Final thoughts: This sequel could have easily been a total piece of garbage, but it's actually a lot of fun. Sure it's not smart or scary, but it accomplished what it set out to do and that has to count for something. It's also the best of the series.

My rating: 3.5/5

Fun sequel! **1/2 out of 5

Author: Lance from United States
19 June 2005

This time the focus is much more on the ghoulies themselves. And they're all ready to have some fun at the carnival!

There's lots of fun to be had here. You get to see ghoulies eat off a clowns arm (hoorah!)and my favorite scene features a ghoulie running over a man with a bumper car. Priceless.

Oh yeah, one of the more subtle moments I had to rewind a couple of times was when the mummy pops up and the kid kicks it back and you can hear the mummy say 'ow!'

Sure these films can be laughed at, but I have a feeling the movies are laughing with you. It's all very tongue in cheek and not to be taken too seriously. The only moment I think that was to be taken seriously was the terrible moment where the girl is talking about an incident that happened when she was younger; ala Pheobe Cates in Gremlins.

Still, that moment passes quickly and is completely forgettable.

I find these 'Ghoulies' films to be completely charming. If you're into Gremlins and Critters and Munchies and the like, check'em out.

Cheesy Fun

Author: El_Sid from United States
4 February 2007

Ghoulies II is a typical 80's film. Its cheesy and fun. The monsters are so poorly made its actually laughable, and the acting is almost as bad. This time the pesky little bastards have gone to an amusement park like place, where all hell breaks lose. As usual they target the teenagers having sex during the rides and kill them in amusing ways ( one scene in particular gave me a good laugh where a rat like Ghoulie spits some goo at some unsuspecting teenage lovers, and their mouths get stuck together). The movie is not to be taken seriously, and some people do which is one of the many reasons its on the fast track towards the IMDb bottom # 100. Just a few more votes and it'll be there.

I'll be generous and give it 4 out of 10, purely for all the laughs (most of them unintentional)

better than the 1st,, but thats not saying much.

Author: kclipper from United States
24 July 2011

Believe it or not, this is actually an improvement over the original 'Ghoulies', offering likable and sympathetic characters and a coherent plot-line, not to mention some PG-13 thrills and gore. Folks at the Hardin Family Carnival are risking termination of their acts due to bottom-line business unless they improve the line-up. The "ghoulies" from the 1st gig crash the party, and things start picking up, at least until they start making the show a little too scary by murdering the patrons.

By now you know what to expect from producer, Charles Band's inept series, featuring a little stop-motion animation to liven up the otherwise hokey puppets and a dash of characterization, such as Royal Dano as the "town drunk" and Phil Fondacaro in his usual bit. It's still laughable and contrived, but it still stands the test of time for fans of typically campy 1980s cheesiness.

Much better than part 1

Author: trevorzimm from Canada
18 June 2006

Ghoulies 2 is by far better than the first part. You can't judge it compared to masterpieces like Apocalypse now, but for a crappy little 80's monster movie, it's a lot of fun. Great laugh's especially when they are hanging out in the haunting house causing trouble. The first part tried to take itself a little too seriously with the occult store background and was fairly irritating to watch. This one is a brain dead monster attacks type movie, and I love it for that.

It's much more fun than the Critters franchise, albeit, Ghoulies part 1 is far worse than any of the first 3 Critters movies.

I have never seen Ghoulies 3 or 4, or number two is definitely worth a rent from your local video store.

Groovy Ghoulies !

Author: Walle-2 from Lidingö, Sweden
26 July 1999

I was very young when I saw this the first time and it really gave me the creeps then. Now a few years later I saw it again and I think it´s cool. The little monsters are pretty funny and scary actually. I especially like the "toilette" scene. Ghoulies II is a 5/10

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]