IMDb > Fatal Attraction (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fatal Attraction

Fatal Attraction More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Great sound and believable story combine for a chilling effect!

Author: GBall from Franklin University, United States
28 April 2011

***Warning: I have tried to keep spoilers in this review to a minimum, but you may want to skip this one if you want the film to be a surprise.***

This film will certainly make any married man think twice before cheating! The excellent use of editing, sound, and music drive this thriller home. Even the title of the movie is a succinct preview of the greater theme present throughout the film; foreboding and mysterious. Obviously, at least one of the main characters will die because of the affair. The question that haunts you throughout the storyline is: which one?

The film begins by showing Dan Gallagher as a kind, but sexually frustrated family man. With his wife gone for the weekend, his fling with the seemingly innocent Alex appears to be harmless fun. But his indiscretion begins to catch up with him soon. Alex's sociopathic tendencies begin to become apparent as she begins to harass Dan at work, calling and visiting him regularly. What seemed like a one night stand becomes a haunting and difficult ordeal. The violence, emotion, and unpredictability throughout the show will make it impossible to look away.

Fatal Attraction is a must-see thriller and a pioneer in its genre. This film will suck you in and make you empathize with Dan and his loving wife Beth. The amount of detail and emotion director Adrian Lyne and his team included in the film makes it impossible to watch with detachment. If you have ever known or dated a sociopath, you will certainly see the accuracy with which Alex's behavior was portrayed. My favorite scene exposing her personality and bipolar state is when she listens to Madame Butterfly, staring blankly into space and flicking the lamp on and off. Her obsession, and the lengths she will go to in order to get what she wants, is oddly familiar and simultaneously eerie.

A key component of this film is the dead-on use of sound editing and music. These allow us to share Dan's attraction and sense of connection with Alex, and later his sense of dread as she ruthlessly attacks everything he loves. From the whisper of their adolescent, flirting banter in the beginning to the scream of the teakettle near the end, the choice of sound is appropriate and fitting for this storyline.

If you liked other thrillers such as Cape Fear, Fatal Attraction will be right up your alley. Marital infidelity will never seem the same.

Still brilliant after 20 years.

Author: ihrtfilms from Australia
2 October 2010

This is one those brilliant 80's films that paved the way for all those other copy cat films we are treated to. But this is a brilliant piece of film making unlike most of those that followed.

Performances from both Michael Douglas and Glenn Close are great, but Close is the real stand out, just remarkable as the seductress/jilted lover turned psychopath. She steals most of the scenes she is in. The film contains some standout scenes, that have remained part of film history. Many of the set pieces are superbly choreographed and edited and give the film a strong sense of tension. Scenes such as the on the roller-coaster or the fight in the kitchen or even the end one in the bathroom are directed so well and surprisingly with minimal music to create atmosphere. Even sex scenes are done well, the first, in the sink is actually sexy, unlike most sex scenes in films which are often just gross.

Of course one scene has remained to the day the films most famous and in fact still stands out as one of the most memorable in film history. That of course is the bunny boiling scene. It is superbly done, with the slow reveal and then the frantic editing between the two discoveries, the wife finding the bunny in the bubbling saucepan and the daughter finding her rabbit missing. Brilliant stuff.

The film today may seem full of clichés, but only because we've seen it all before time and time again. But 20 years ago this would have been an original and excellent thriller that still holds itself up today.

More of my reviews at

Shocker is the word...

Author: moviesleuth2
15 April 2010

More than anything, "Fatal Attraction" teaches us that our actions have consequences. Sure, all stories involve decisions and what happens because of them, but what makes "Fatal Attraction" so unsettling is that every moment in this film is completely credible. What we do has an impact on other people, whether we like it or not.

Dan Gallagher (Michael Douglas) is living the good life; he's a successful lawyer, has a beautiful loving wife and daughter, and is about to move into the country from the city. One weekend while his wife, Beth (Anne Archer) and daughter Ellen (Ellen Hamilton Latzen) are out of town, he has a fling with a beautiful woman, Alex Forrest (Glenn Close). He thinks it's just a weekend thing and then it's over, but she has other ideas. And she's not going to go away.

The acting is solid, but the lion's share of the credit has to go to writer James Dearden and Glenn Close. Together, they've created a character who is so believable that the film becomes a terrifying thriller. Alex Forrest is no ordinary villain. She is psychologically plausible, and that's what makes this film so scary. At first, she seems to be just like any woman we would meet on the street, or in a café, or anywhere. But she's not, and Dan doesn't find that out until it's too late. Close and Dearden were robbed of Oscars on that night in 1988.

Michael Douglas is solid as the everyman role, and while he's an effective protagonist, it's not much different than his other protagonistic roles (and there's nothing like a good Michael Dogulas villain, but that's for another 80's movie). Anne Archer got a Best Supporting Actress nomination, and I find that a little surprising since she's a little flat.

The main problem with "Fatal Attraction" is that while Adrian Lyne's direction is effective, it lacks style. The look of the film is rather plain, and it's up to the actors to keep us interested (which they do).

As infamous as it is effective, "Fatal Attraction" will make you think twice about doing something you shouldn't.

A comparison between the two endings

Author: Marni from USA
21 February 2002

SPOILER ALERT I think that the first ending was a more sympathetic view of Alex. Instead of the crazed women trying to kill Beth, she kills herself.

When one sees her sitting on the floor, listening to Madam Butterfly, you pity her along with being glad that she is dead. Before Beth finds the tape that will clear Dan's name, the audience is meant to think that Alex gets the last laugh. I thought that Dan was going to be punished for what he did, but I was also feeling sorry for his bad luck and wanting him to live happily ever after.

When the wife is running beside the car in the original ending, you kind of wonder how she ever forgave him. Also, in the ending that was eventually used, I was constantly wondering if the wife would find the tape of Alex's. I was kind of upset that she never did. That is why I was happy that in the original they wrapped up this part of the story. I can see why they used the ending they did. They wanted the wife to get her vengence, and make Alex out to be completely at fault, while letting Dan escape blame for his part in the affair.

Yikes! Bunny's In Some Real Hot Water Now!

Author: Dalbert Pringle from New Zealand
1 March 2014

My-oh-my, aren't little bunny-rabbits cute? And, is this psycho-stalker movie really supposed to be a stern warning to all married men to not think with their dinks?

And, speaking about psycho-stalkers (Hollywood-style), I'd certainly say that Glenn Close, as Alex Forest (aka. The Madame Butterfly of the wrist-slasher set), made for one of the most irritatingly deranged and unintentionally hilarious loony-tunes to ever appear in a big-budget, Tinseltown production that I've ever seen.

I honestly can't imagine how Close could've taken her irksome, frizzy-haired character so dead-serious. And the solemn, straight-faced way she delivered her ludicrous lines was just too funny for words.

And, speaking about slashing one's wrists - I honestly ask you - When it comes to those people who have ever tried this sort of thing and actually succeeded in gashing open, not one, but both wrists - How many of them do you seriously believe could possibly still remain standing on their own two feet while the blood gushes out of them and (get this!) have the stamina & motivation to go around showing others what they have done? Eh? How many?.... Like, how about none!

And, when it finally came down to those noteworthy scenes in Fatal Attraction that totally killed me - I rate the final showdown that took place between dearest Dan & loveliest Alex to be pure slapstick comedy at one of its finest moments.

And when darling Dan's battered, bruised & betrayed wife, Beth, got into the act and took perfect aim with the gun and sent that bullet sailing (bull's-eye) dead-center into Alex's heart, well, that was truly a stroke of pure comic genius. Yes. That it was! (Surely there was another bullet in that gun meant for that dick-head, Dan)

All-in-all - I guess I got what I expected from Fatal Attraction. There were no surprises here. From it first 5 minutes I knew exactly where this one's story was going.

And, with that in mind, do you suppose that the Gallaghers really did live happily ever after?... End of story?

Well, I, for one, am so very-very thankful that this "you-made-your-bed-now-lie-in-it" movie (from a NYC hell) wasn't followed by a frickin' sequel.

Enough said.

Why didn't Close win the Oscar?

Author: shortround8391 from United States
31 August 2008

So my guess is that "Fatal Attraction" is a movie that no one likes anymore and doesn't seem to stand the test of time only because people don't want it to. It only has 16,000 votes on here and only has a score of 6.7, come on people! This movie is much better than that!

It's freaking excellent, and Glenn Close never got the recognition she deserved, and she fits into the role as Alex Forrest perfectly. She manages to make us feel pity for her because she's sad, lonely and doesn't have anyone by her side, and that's why she's so obsessed with making Dan (Michael Douglas) her own. And you would also hate her because she becomes a knife-wielding, bunny-boiling, and child-kidnapping maniac.

Michael Douglas is in one of his seminal roles in his entire career, and since this released in the same year as "Wall Street", a movie which he won an Oscar for, this was one of the reasons why 1987 was the year of Michael Douglas. He plays the guy who is happily married with a gorgeous wife and daughter (which some of you may mistake for a boy). And he just makes a common mistake by sleeping with a woman he bumped into at a party (Glenn Close). However, it turns out she's a total psycho and starts stalking Dan and his family.

Even though "Fatal Attraction" has been dead to the public eye, it is still a guaranteed classic that is worth your time, and to all the married women, you should try to force your husbands to watch this so they can understand what you get just for having an affair. Want a clear idea what this movie is? Think "Basic Instinct" but with less sex and a deeper storyline and a more believable woman who's messed up in the head.

Great thriller!

Author: Gunnar_Runar_Ingibjargarson from Reykjavík, Iceland
24 June 2008

Let's face it: we're guys. Wandering eyes. A perceptive inclination to gander at a short skirt, a hint of cleavage, a heart-pounding hip wiggle. I ran smack dab into a door the last time I gawked, but consider myself darn lucky compared to Michael Douglas' character in FATAL ATTRACTION--a white-knuckled "don't-let-this-happen-to-you" thriller that vividly demonstrates what can happen to a guy when he lets other parts of his anatomy do his thinking for him. Manhattan lawyer Dan Gallagher (Douglas) has it all: successful career, attractive wife, loving daughter. So why not have an extramarital fling with a woman he met at a party while the family is out of town? Sure. Just a one-night stand. No harm, no foul. But there's something very "foul" about Dan's partner in crime, because blonde Alex Forrest (Glenn Close) may have all the right moves in the sack, but she also has an elevator that doesn't go all the way to the top. So when Dan wants to shake hands and part company, Alex will have none of it, and the table is set for a one-way ticket to Looney Land.

Let the stalking. . .the suspense. . .the thrills and chills. . .begin. The bathroom scene, in which Dan's frazzled wife Beth (Anne Archer) wipes the steam off the mirror, is worth the price of purchase of this video alone.

Director Adrian Lyne (as usual) delivers a gripping, antacid-popping story. The only positive in FATAL ATTRACTION was the fact all this bad stuff happened to an attorney. Like, how sad. I'd like to write more, but I hear the wife calling--something about all the hair in the sink. Don't want to get her riled.

A social and cultural phenomenon

Author: bppihl from Normal, Illinois
1 April 2004

The main reason why I enjoy "Fatal Attraction" so much is because it is a story that is possible in real life. I was too young to see it when it first came out in 1987, but I saw it for the first time three years ago, and it was truly a great piece of cinema. Michael Douglas and Glenn Close are perfect in the lead roles, and Anne Archer has a good supporting role as Douglas's wife, as does his young daughter.

While Close's character is emotionally unstable, the viewer cannot help but feel sorry for her when Douglas uses her and then stands her up. Also, he deserved what he got because he knew he was being unfaithful to his family but did it anyway. In real life, it is doubtful that things would happen within the person's family as a result of this the way they do in this movie. But I still think it is a very true to life story in so many other ways.

The film causes one to look long and hard at interpersonal interactions with spouses, significant others, families, and society in general. It shows the dark side of relationships, and how sometimes the seemingly most happy situations on the outside are cloaked with lies and deceit on the inside. It is about choices and consequences, which is why I believe many people enjoy it so much. It definately deserved more awards than it got. However, it will be remembered as Glenn Close's signature role, and a message to society to be faithful to others.

Edge Of Your Seat Entertainment

Author: dmorse from Midwest
17 January 2004

I recently caught this film uncut on Encore, and was surprised that it held up very well, and was as scary the second time around as it had been the usual this type of film always seems beyond far fetched, but it did keep your interest with good performances by all, especially by Glen Close in pre-Sunset Boulevard days.... if you want to spend a fast two hours watching a thriller, this is the one to rent..I have heard there was an alternative ending filmed, but the ending used was just fine; it did catch me by surprise, and was very reminiscent of the original "Diabolique" bathroom scene..

Very good thriller with killer message

Author: bouncingoffwall from USA
11 November 2003

Since I saw it on its release, Fatal attraction has been the film others of the same genre must measure up to, on my list. It is amazingly true to life. I know since I had a girlfriend turn psycho on me when I was twenty-one, and some of the disturbing scenes in the film -- although not the most disturbing -- seem to have been lifted directly from that very dark period in my life.

After watching this movie again, I came away with the certainty that it is one which loses more than most in its translation to the small screen. It is still a classic in my view, though, since it is not only terrifying in its portrayal of both mental illness and violation of privacy, but also a great illustration of how sexual indiscretion can, and often does, backfire. I recommend it for adults, especially those with a wandering eye.