IMDb > Fatal Attraction (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fatal Attraction

Fatal Attraction More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Classic Sexual Thriller

Author: Sean4Films from Birmingham, England
6 August 2004

I remember watching this at the cinema with an ex-girlfriend and totally enjoying it. It then came on TV about 4 years later and I watched it again enjoying it again. Then it came on again and again and again. I decided to buy it on DVD and I enjoyed even more than the first 7 times I'd watched. It appears that whenever I watch this I like even more than I liked the time I watched it before, even though I know what happens. Anyway to make it short and snappy it's a great film with great performances, direction, ending and great DVD Features. I love the alternate ending but the one it has is the best. A Classic Sexual Thriller that looks even better than ever. **** out of *****

Suspenseful and a good warning for any married man

Author: mmpowers from Rochester, NY
19 February 2002

A bored family man with the apartment to himself for the weekend, an obsessive lover, and an unknowing family. This plotline has been done before; however, the suspense created while this story unwinds is what keeps Fatal Attraction uniquely original. When Dan (Michael Douglas), a married man, has an affair with Alex (Glenn Close), a person's first reaction would be to think of him as an unfaithful, horrible man. However, once Alex's true nature comes into the light, and we see her as the crazy, obsessed, dependent woman she really is, our sympathy sways towards Dan. Throughout the entire movie, the crowd hopes that everything will work out for him and his family. This is what the director, Adrian Lyne, wanted people to feel; however, Alex should not be placed with all the blame. After all, no one likes to be the victim of a "one night stand," especially when the other person will not take the responsibility for what may result from it. When this movie was first made, it was shown to an audience who gave its disapproving criticism of the end. The result from this was the filming of a second ending. Originally, it portrayed Alex as a disheartened, depressed woman who gives up on the chase. The second, however, conveys a murderous crazy woman. I guess as far as suspense is involved, the new ending definitely keeps people on the edge of their seats, and reinforces Alex's damaging nature that is seen throughout the entire film. Overall, Fatal Attraction is definitely worth seeing, especially for any man considering having an affair.

Can't be beaten!

Author: MrsSherman from Hampshire, United Kingdom
14 June 2006

Considering this film is nearly 20 years old, it still remains as good as ever. Michael Douglas, Glenn Close, and Anne Archer are all to be commended for making this film realistic and believable.

From the outset, the film runs at a good pace and is compelling viewing. I still find it quite eerie during both the bunny boiling scene and also when Alex has cut her wrists whilst Madam Butterfly is playing in the background.

The scene where Dan and Alex have sex in the sink (although it looks more to me like on the worktop/counter) makes the film both believable and shows the passion and excitement that makes their affair more realistic to the viewer.

Overall still an excellent film and definitely one to watch.

OK premise, but flawed

Author: rzajac from Dongshih, Taiwan
28 September 2004

This is supposed to be a classic, but I don't buy it. It's good in a lot of ways; good acting, good shooting/editing. But the script has weaknesses that sort of bring it down as a "great" film. I would have liked to see more psychological tension built up via better-developed confrontation between the leading characters which would have highlit Close's state of denial in a more believable and frightening way. You can't make up for a lack of well-scripted situational tension with clever acting, camera angles, and editing. Flaws in the script are the weak link that stops Fatal Attraction from being great...too bad!

However, I will laud all the acting. A lot of people on this board are pooh-poohing Close's efficacy as a believable target for a bout of hot sex.

I thought her character was very well done: Let's face it, Close *is* a genuine talent. I guess people will continue to watch this movie for the sex scenes, which *are* noteworthy for their playfulness. However, I have to warn you that if you take narrative integrity seriously, you'll be a little disappointed.

ADDENDUM: This flick is also referenced very interestingly in Bob Altman's "The Player". According to one studio exec character in "Player", the ending to Fatal Attraction was rewritten and reshot after the first cut was shown to a test audience. Now, I don't know if that's true or not, but it does make you wonder. Does the strange chaotic ending really reflect an attempt to stitch on a more popular ending without thought to overall purpose or narrative integrity? -raz

In a word, disarming

Author: jt004k
19 February 2002

"Fatal Attraction" is by far one of the more engrossing, sexually and politcally charged movies I have seen in quite some time. Whether you feel the movie portrays the high-powered 80's career woman as a threat or threatened, you can't argue that this move will leave you talking. While I am alarmed at the blatant barbs and stereotypes in the film, it does a fantastic job of tapping in to some of our more sensitive social issues, such as sexuality, the role of women in society and of course, fidelity. This film, despite its flaws and shortcomings, reminded me of something I too often forget while watching films, art is supposed to make you think.

Overrated (and outdated) post-Aids moral thriller

Author: Benedict_Cumberbatch from Los Angeles, CA
30 November 2007

20 years after its release, "Fatal Attraction" doesn't shock anymore, but the cult status seems intact. It never really impressed me (although I admit I only saw it about 6 years ago, since I wasn't even born in '87!), but it's easy to understand why it became such an overwhelming hit.

Adrian Lyne is a clever mercenary (some sort of Michael Bay of sex), but has never made a great movie. From the tacky musical "Flashdance" (1983) and "9 1/2 Weeks" (1986) to "Indecent Proposal" (1993) and "Unfaithful" (2002, which gave Diane Lane an atrocious Oscar nomination for having sex with Olivier Martinez and looking bored/guilty the entire movie), his movies are variations of the sexploitation-fest genre he helped to establish; his only attempts at "serious" cinema ("Jacob's Ladder" and the "Lolita" remake), although not disastrous, showed that he's no Bergman - Lyne should know he'll always be the rich man's Zalman King.

After the AIDS discovery in 1981, puritanism increased all over the world, and, more than never, people ought to think twice before having casual sex. Then, a guy named James Dearden had the brilliant idea of writing the story of an attractive, middle-aged married dude (Michael Douglas, who else?) who's terrorized by a sophisticated but psychotic woman (Glenn Close, who would play evil more convincingly in the classic "Dangerous Liaisons" the following year), after a hot one night stand. Douglas didn't want to see Close again, and naturally he was going to pay for his irresponsibility/bad behaviour...

"Fatal Attraction" was the perfect moral thriller of the 80's because it was both titillating and terrifying for its target audience - man and women over 30. No wonder it's been "remade" infinitely, even as teen movies ("The Crush" with Alicia Silverstone, "Swimfan" with Jesse Bradford, etc.). Lyne's publicity background gave him the right visual style for this kind of flick, and "Fatal Attraction" still works as an amusing, even "nostalgic" late night movie... but in a world where Paris Hilton is teenage girls' role model, its shock factor is no longer existent. Things have changed, or just gotten worse? 6/10.

80's crowd-pleaser.

Author: templer_doom (templer_doom@yahoo.co.uk)
26 July 2003

Along with the likes of BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985), RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART 2 (1985) and DIE HARD (1988), FATAL ATTRACTION was a movie that by rights should have been no more than a modest success. As it transpired and as we all know now, it was the sensation of 1987, eclipsing the likes of BEVERLY HILLS COP 2 and THE UNTOUCHABLES as the talking point of the year.

Michael Douglas plays happily married family man / lawyer Dan Gallagher who, whilst attending a party in honour of the latest book launch by his company meets in passing Alex Forrest (Glenn Close). The following day, the two are thrown together at a crisis meeting over a politician's sex life. Douglas's wife (Anne Archer, in her only Oscar-nominated role) has gone away with their only daughter to her parents. Gallagher and Forrest have a drink together and are clearly finding something else developing. They spend the night together and Gallagher goes home. However, the next day, Alex calls him at his apartment and they meet up again and have lunch together, which is where the drama really begins.

Big on shock moments and dark humour and also notable for the alternate ending which was rejected by the studio after test screenings (I would suggest you see both and make a comparison on which you prefer), FATAL ATTRACTION is still worthy today in light of the recent statistics on sexual practices.

Still has the power to shock and awe

Author: rogerdarlington from United Kingdom
28 June 2014

In th winter of 1987/88, "Fatal Attraction" was a sensation: the most viewed and the most debated movie on show. Directed by Adrian Lyne, who had made the lighter "Flashdance| and "9 1/2 Weeks", this taut thriller stars Michael Douglas as married lawyer Dan Gallagher who has a weekend of passion with causal acquaintance Alex Forrest (Glenn Close) while his wife Beth (Anne Archer) ans young daughter are out of town.

Close is terrific as the spurned lover who turns increasingly vengeful and manic in a performance reminiscent of Clint Eastwood's "Play Misty For Me" (she even sends Dan a tape labelled 'Play me'). As the tension ratchets up, there are more and more shocking and memorable scenes with perhaps that involving the daughter's pet rabbit as the most disturbing. Given the time of its release, many viewers saw this as a moral tale against sexual infidelity with the Alex character as the personification of AIDS.

Viewing it again almost three decades later, it still has the power to shock and awe, but we now know that the ending - so satisfying to audiences and conducive to box office records - was changed as a result of test screenings. So the frequent references to the opera "Madam Butterfly" and Dan's handling of a knife hint at the finale intended by screenwriter James Deardon and indeed a recent stage version of the film presents a more nuanced treatment of Alex and offers a different resolution.

The Story Of Michael Douglas's Life I Expect...

Author: Vivekmaru45 from Kenya
21 January 2014

This has got to be one of the most controversial film to be made. I read somewhere a review saying, "They can't stop talking about this film".

The film deals with a married man Dan Gallagher (Michael Douglas), a successful New York attorney who has a weekend affair with Alexandra "Alex" Forrest (Glenn Close), an editor for a publishing company. After the affair is over, Alex refuses to forget him, first harasses and later stalks him.

The title of the movie is Fatal Attraction. You can immediately put two and two together and know that something quite dangerous and dramatic will occur at a point in the film.

I'm not one to preach, but the character portrayed by Douglas's character is a cad, through and through. This man uses a woman for sex gratification and then dumps her like eating banana and throwing the skin away. My sympathy rather was with Close's character which was of a woman starved for affection, who forms a bond with her man. However she refuses to be dumped and this leads to friction and tension between the two main characters of the film.

The other actress in the film is Anne Archer who played memorable roles in films like: Green Ice (1981), Narrow Margin (1990), Patriot Games (1992) and Clear and Present Danger (1994). She plays Beth Gallagher, Dan's wife. Not to forget the excellent Fred Gwynne(The Munsters, Pet Cemetery) who plays a cameo role in the film.

This film has an alternate ending which appeared on a special edition VHS and LaserDisc release by Paramount in 1992, and was included on the film's DVD release a decade later.

Verdict: As a thriller the film fails(I think the background music effects and score are below par). As a controversial film this one is right there among the best of them. Try to rent this one out before you think about buying it and also remember to rent the DVD with the alternate ending.

Similar themed films: Out Of Africa (1985), American Beauty (1999), Eyes Wide Shut (1999), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008).

A forest to stay out of, if you catch my drift.

Author: Christian_Dimartino from United States
24 June 2013

I don't know about you, but I love a good, psychotic, sexual thriller. I mean, I am a huge admirer of the "so bad it's good" film, Wild Things. That is a guilty pleasure, and i'm not even guilty about it. That movie is the king daddy of sexual thrillers. But, in second place, a movie that is probably better, is Adrian Lynne's intoxicating 1987 Best Picture nominee, Fatal Attraction. Sure, the movie is insane and over-the-top. But that's just what makes it so good.

The film revolves around a hard working family man named Dan (Michael Douglas, who won an Oscar the same year for Wall Street). One weekend, while his wife (Anne Archer in an Oscar nominated role) and kids are out of town, he has sex with a mysterious temp named Alex Forest (Glenn Close in an Oscar nominated role). As he tries to move on with his life, she desperately tries to get him back. And she will really stop at nothing to see him again.

If you haven't seen this movie and it sounds familiar, that is probably because you saw 2009's Obsessed. But this movie is a lot better than that one. This one is a lot sexier, crazier, and more dangerous. Also, the acting isn't as irritating. Now, don't get me wrong, you certainly want to murder Alex. But that's what makes Close's performance work so well.

Close is amazing. Here, she gives one of her best performances. Now, I have never exactly found Glenn Close sexy, but it is obvious just why she was chosen. It's because she's amazing in this movie. She is mysterious, she is bonkers, and you really can't take your eyes off of her. I loved Cher's performance in Moonstruck, but I still have to say that the Oscar should have gone to Close.

Fatal Attraction isn't a great movie. I think that whoever wrote it (and, basically, any other movie where an obsessive woman goes insane) is slightly sexist. But it doesn't matter. Fatal Attraction is extremely entertaining. It is definitely a wild ride, and it may not have worked without Close. She beat out plenty of incredibly sexy actresses for the role. Just watch it, and you'll see why.

A-