IMDb > Escape from Sobibor (1987) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Escape from Sobibor

Escape from Sobibor (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

As sad and intense as it can be, its a great movie.

Author: taltal from Hadera, Israel
21 April 2004

As sad and intense as it can be, its a great movie. It touches you where it hurts. Even in the easier parts (a little dancing in the camp) The movie won't let you forget where we are, shifting the view to the horrible chimneys. The real story is one of the most amazing stories ever happened in mankind history. The movie succeeds in passing the horrors of the camp, the deep misery of the life, and in the end the greatness of the moment, as well as the great tension these people are in in the last minutes of the film. The effects (shots, mines exploding) are a little poor, but the acting is very good (especially the Nazis, but Arkin is great, too)

The Anti-Schinder's List

Author: boofdah from Tampa, FL
18 September 2003

What really impressed me about this movie and the book upon which it is based is that it is, in many ways, the anti-Schindler's List. Escape from Sobibor does not portray the Jewish people who suffered during the Holocaust as mere victims, although certainly they were victims--more than 6 million of all Europe's Jews died under Hitler's regime. Being Jewish myself, I thought Schindler's List was a beautifully-done movie but thought it did our community a disservice by _not_ showing any of the Jewish resistance during the Holocaust--in Oskar Schindler's camp and in Krakow itself were small Jewish resistance and partisan factions.

Despite its superior quality as a film, Schindler's List sadly seemed to reinforce the stereotype of Jews "going to the slaughter like lambs" during the Holocaust; the Jews are largely portrayed as reticent, meek, and helpless in the face of the Nazi terror. In contrast, Escape from Sobibor portrays the Jews as being victims, yes, but also being angry, shocked, and disbelieving that the horrors of the Holocaust were happening at all. The movie does have its flaws--it often plays out like the MOW that it is, and the American and British accents prevalent in the movie shake the suspension of disbelief a bit. But it brilliantly shows the relationships among the Jewish prisoners and their differences in how the Sobibor revolt takes place.

On a side note, an unproduced sequel to Escape from Sobibor was written but canned before it was able to be filmed; I had an opportunity to read this script once and thought the stories were interesting, but Richard Rashke's book does a much better job IMO of telling the prisoners' stories post-World War II. I also had a chance to visit the Sobibor camp (as well as other concentration camps in Poland, including Auschwitz); the experience is memorable and harrowing. Despite the deeply sad experience, visiting Sobibor was well worth the experience, and Escape from Sobibor is well worth the watch.

Brilliant!

Author: Shannon (frozenemeraldtears) from Las Vegas
14 May 2003

I finished watching this movie in school, and whomever directed this film knew how to make the events of the Holocaust seem like reality. The actors are great in this, and there were times where I've shed a few tears, especially the part where thirteen men who tried to escape had to find thirteen of the Jewish people to die with them. I just hope no one has to experience this sort of hatred again, despite the fact the world is full of hatred. *****+!/***** stars

Sickening

Author: carizma36 from USA
27 November 2002

Though I found this movie altogether sickening, it was very well made and true to the subject. If you desire to know more about the Holocaust and Death Camps, Escape From Sobibor is a fabulously well made film. It is though, as I said, rather horrifying- I had to cover my eyes for minutes on end at one point.

Awesome movie!!

Author: M. J. Spasoff (spasoffmj@yahoo.com) from Temecula, California
12 August 2002

This film is great!! It keeps you on the edge of your seat. At times, very difficult to watch, but there are some great revenge scenes in this movie. A difficult movie to find in the video store, but well worth the search!! Another movie similiar to it is Uprising.

VERY WELL PUT TOGETHER

Author: bigdogewc
24 April 2002

Very good movie for teachers to show. It was very educational and informative. I especially liked that it was based on a true story. Very good movie for anyone learning about World WarII. Very good acting by Rutger Hauer, Joanna Pacula and Alan Arkin.

Pumps you up

Author: darrenr508 from Rochester, Minnesota
28 March 2002

I show this movie to my history and english high school students in conjunction with Holocaust fiction books and World War II. The movie greatly depcits resistance to the Nazis and how people can revolt against evil. Very inspiring.

Surprisingly good

Author: tonyro from Toronto, Canada
20 February 2002

I first saw Escape from Sobibor on TV back in the 1980s. Now that I've bought my own copy, I have noticed things that I did not catch the first time around.

The film deals with some weighty issues which prisoners in Auschwitz also grappled with:

1. what sort of moral compromises did the prisoners have to make to stay alive in Sobiblor

2. where was God when this was going on

3. differences among Jews (eg. the differences between the Dutch, Polish and Soviet Jews in Sobibor).

Character development could be a bit stronger. For the 1980s, the film was fairly graphic (War and Remembrance was far more graphic even more than Schindler's List). In general, the film does raise some tough issues--more than some of the more well-known Holocaust films have.

"Jakob the Liar" Isn't In This League

Author: BulldogSkin from New York
9 February 2002

"Escape From Sobibor" is my favorite movie. Even my mother, who rarely watches and usually never enjoys movies that are based on actual events, became very emotionally-involved with it. It's been my favorite movie since the 6th grade and it may well remain my favorite movie. The acting is superb, nothing is over-dramatized, and knowing that the movie isn't a cheap Hollywood "reproduction" of true life lures the viewer in.

Powerful without having to be to graphic

Author: tampaman24 from Tampa, Fl
3 June 2001

This is a very powerful movie. I show it in my world history class every year. I like it because it doesn't have to be to graphic but the points are made very clearly. Most of the time, the students are like, "great, a movie..." HOwever, I guarantee that after I show this that most them just love it(I hate to use that term for a holocaust movie) but you get what I mean.

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]