IMDb > Dudes (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dudes

Dudes More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

A homage to a film that brought much joy to my life

Author: ian_desert from Melbourne Australia
16 September 2001

This is not a serious film. It tries to be in a couple of places but doesnt make it. Some of the dream sequences are just a tad laboured but only a tad. Apart from this small points it is full of good humour and I certainly enjoyed it. I do not watch films for messages, for me that just escapes the point. Film is escapism, that is why it exists, to take us out of ourselves, to make us laugh,cry and smile. This is what DUDES does. We follow 3 punks cross country and their encounters with different people. They are products of the multi-cultural mix that is New York, the scene of all three bored in the VW driving thru the desert is truly hilarious. The second half of this film is bit more bleaker with dream sequences et al but still this is remains a joy. I was left with a good feeling after the end of this film and do so every time I revisit it.

Pointless.

Author: gridoon
23 March 2002

Three punkers begin a road trip from New York to California looking for "paradise", but encounter romance, violence and death on their way instead. Problem is that the characters are mainly unengaging, so it's hard to care about the outcome of their adventures. A pointless, frequently obnoxious film, with very little to recommend it. (*1/2)

Hard to believe Penelope Spheeris had something to do with this.

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
13 April 2004

I understand director Penelope Spheeris' loyalty to the punk culture as she was the director of the Decline of the Western Civilization documentaries as well as one of my favorites, Suburbia. But for crying out loud, this is just a slap in the face.

Dudes is about three young punks (Cryer, Roebuck, and Flea) on a road trip from New York to ye old West Coast. Except, after a little mishap, one of their punker friends is violently murdered. So Captain Dumbass (Cyer) "Grant" and his fat pal, Mr. Oblivious (Roebuck) "Buscuit," have some kind of stupid epiphany out in the desert and dress up like cowboy and Indian to avenge their friend's death caused by a mock Hells Angels.

There's not even much here about good old fashion good times and die hard freedom punk ethics at work in this story. Save your money, your time, and your brain. Dudes is just one thankless big pile of garbage.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]