IMDb > Dudes (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dudes More at IMDbPro »

I Agree With Pepper Anne - Dudes was EXCELLENT

Author: BillyShears73 from United States
16 July 2005

Dudes is a fun albeit weirdly different movie. I didn't love it as much as Pepper Anne, but yeah - it's fun. From the opening with The Vandals to Lee Ving popping up as Cryer's nemesis, it never takes itself too seriously, even when it's taking itself too seriously. The plot is basically summed up in the Vandals tune "Urban Struggle" and P.A. above. Cryer and co. become disillusioned with the NY scene and head out west to see what lies out there. Run into Ving and his boys and things take a turn for the worse and then it's Cryer in Eastwood mode. Avenging angel.Anyway - take our words for it - Dudes is a semi-cult classic that's good for watching once every couple of years.

one of my favorites

Author: intomydarkmind1970 from United States
5 June 2007

I first saw dudes when I was seventeen,I rented the movie and returned it two years later.Well I have always wished I added it to my collection.As far as plot is concerned, the film is a little weak,but there are some more memorable lines including Dare-Delvises line regarding angry beef.The personal development of Grant and Biscuit make the film worth it.If you are looking for a serious film to learn something from this isn't it but if you are looking for some escapist comedy with some serious moments then you have come to the right place.

Dudes became one of my favorites quickly and has never really let me go. The weaker moments include a seemingly out of sync dream sequence,and the bar scene when Grant finally meets Missoula. So check it out with an open mind and enjoy Dudes for what it is worth.

A homage to a film that brought much joy to my life

Author: ian_desert from Melbourne Australia
16 September 2001

This is not a serious film. It tries to be in a couple of places but doesnt make it. Some of the dream sequences are just a tad laboured but only a tad. Apart from this small points it is full of good humour and I certainly enjoyed it. I do not watch films for messages, for me that just escapes the point. Film is escapism, that is why it exists, to take us out of ourselves, to make us laugh,cry and smile. This is what DUDES does. We follow 3 punks cross country and their encounters with different people. They are products of the multi-cultural mix that is New York, the scene of all three bored in the VW driving thru the desert is truly hilarious. The second half of this film is bit more bleaker with dream sequences et al but still this is remains a joy. I was left with a good feeling after the end of this film and do so every time I revisit it.

"That's it man. We're going to California."

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
26 December 2011

Film-maker Penelope Spheeris's 80s absurdist road-tripping slacker black comedy sees three punk rockers leaving New York on their way to a better life in California, but on their way there they become targets of a ruthless hillbilly gang (led by an impressive Lee Ving) with one of them ending up dead. For the remaining two, instead of heading to California they decide go after the gang. This is one very odd, slapdash journey narrative with broad humour, but an even brutal tone and cross-cultural conflict as the modern punk scene meets old west philosophy as actors Jon Cryer, Daniel Roebuck and Flea find themselves along for the ride. I'm not that much of a fan of Cryer, but this is definitely the best thing I've seen him in. Also showing up in the cast is Catherine Mary Stuart. For a road movie, scenery is important and here the Arizona backdrop provides many picturesque sequences. Director Spheeris crafts out some surreal dynamics from the visuals and sets up some good stunt pieces. Pumping soundtrack, edgy script and kooky characters only added to this cult film's spontaneous and jarring charm.

"I'm so sick of waiting for the world to end."

Not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be!

Author: spost8260 from San Pablo, CA
5 June 2009

"Dude's" is for those who believe that films are *entertainment* as opposed to "works of art". "Dudes" is a great buddy film, a little shocking at times, poignant at times, fun at times, sad at times and great most times. It's a road trip, buddy film that showcases some under promoted great actors such as Lee Ving, who plays the bad guy o the hilt. The soundtrack alone is worth watching for. You will find yourself rooting for the good guy at the end. So it didn't win ten Oscars? It's a sort of twist that hasn't been done before...we always see the rude reception of country folk when they go to the "big city" for the first time, but this is a flip of that. I don't care what some people say...I LOVED this film!!

I loved this movie, and it came out the year I was born

Author: brodydanger from United States
4 November 2008

I grew up watching mostly stuff from the 90s, but my mom loved this movie. I really like all the stuff this director, especially the Wayne's World movies. This is totally cool and different from those films though. It relates back to when the director was more into punk rock. And how can you lose with a cutie like the young John Cryer in it. He's really cool in this movie. Anyway, for a total piece of 80s new waveyness check this flick out. I wish I had more to say about the whole thing. The soundtrack rules that's for sure. It even had WASP on it, which is pretty wicked. The other awesome stuff is when Flea is in the movie. My 2 cents

Somebody managed to make a punk-rock western

Author: wulicoyote from United States
25 March 2009

This movie is fun. And it's great in that it is remarkably fun, as opposed to "about anything." If you can take it in context of "Punk-Western" as a "rock" movie and a western the bar is not set incredibly high to begin with, and this clears the hurdle with ease in merging two genres that usually droop into the exploitation movie quality level. Penelope Spheeris's prior works: Decline of Western Civilization and Suburbia were genuine and earnest portraits of punk-rock music, the first from a documentary perspective of the performers, and the second from the subjective fictional live of the fans of the genre. this is an attempt to launch these concepts into the language of mainstream genre cinema and succeeds better than adequately. Admirably, exceptionally, debate and quibble about the adjective. no matter what. this is approximately 1 1/2 hors of fun movie watching with that little extra to think about. And I occasionally entertain the bizarre notion of building a religion around Daredelvis. If one respects a youth culture as an anthropological phenomenon, tis film shines out as the "punk" take on westerns almost in the way that "LITTLE BIG MAN' was a 60's hippie western

Dud.......es

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
10 July 2012

Director Penelope Spheeris has produced mixed results when it comes to directing feature films. She's done some good movies ("Wayne's World", "The Boys Next Door"), but also some duds ("The Beverly Hillbillies", "Black Sheep"). "Dudes" is not one of her better efforts. Part of the problem is with the screenplay, which doesn't flesh out the protagonists enough, or explore their minds when they make the transition from punkers to gun-wielding vigilantes. It's even worse with the bad guys, who aren't fleshed out at all! Spheeris should have sent the screenplay back for a rewrite, but she shares some of the blame for making a tired feeling to everything, such as (yes) staging the climatic battle in an abandoned warehouse. There's some good scenery and photography, and the music isn't bad, but that's all that's good about this movie. Instead of watching it, track down the soundtrack instead.

Author: iommitheriffslayer
23 January 2014

The much-loved 'Dudes' is a delightfully unrefined black comedy that for some inexplicable reason remains relatively unheralded; and it is a celluloid travesty that Penelope Spheeris's sublimely ludicrous cow punk road comedy is still unavailable on a DVD? (you could do a lot worse than hook yourself up with a copy of 'Dude's, man; besides the use of Keel's 'Rock N' Roll Outlaw' cover is a stone groove!)

Jon Cryer, Daniel Robuck and Flea decide that the life of a big apple punker is a stone cold snooze, and in a moment of drunken inspiration they decide that a road trip to sunny California might improve their metropolitan ennui. A bummer for them, but fortunately for the viewer their ramshackle exodus is fraught with all manner of improbable calamity, not least of which is a violent encounter with some low down desert skeezoids, headed by the murderous redneck, Missoula; played with gleeful mania by ex-Fear vocalist, Lee 'Black Moon Rising' Ving.

'Dudes' is a genuine oddity that begs for rediscovery; due to endearing twin lead performances from Roebuck & Cryer, exhilarating RAWK soundtrack, and gleefully eccentric mise en scene by Penelope Spheeris; but the real clincher for me is when the bickering punkers over-imbibe a bottle of lysergic snake juice, procured from amiable renaissance man, Daredelvis (Pete Wilcox) and suddenly Spheeris plunges us deep into Alex Cox territory where all manner of gonzoid western archetypes are purloined for her and our amusement. In many ways it's the film's many flaws and incongruities that makes it such a lovable rogue.

Interesting to say the least

Author: Christopher Smith
30 July 2005

I bought this movie for $1.99 at my local video store and while I was expecting it to be better considering that it was directed by Penelope Spheeris, it didn't turn out to be too bad. It certainly is an interesting picture. DUDES starts off comedic and light with three punk rock friends (Jon Cryer, Daniel Roebuck, and Flea, all good in their roles) heading out to L.A. to find a better life. 20 minutes into the movie, the film becomes more dramatic when they are attacked by a group of rednecks led by the nasty Missoula (Lee Ving). Missoula kills Flea by shooting him in the head and the rest of the movie has Jon Cryer and Daniel Roebuck looking for revenge. It's hard to say exactly what genre DUDES fits under. It's a mix of genres. It's part comedy, part drama, part western, and part action adventure. The mixing of genres is not entirely successful, though it does make DUDES a somewhat fascinating motion picture. It's unlike any other film from the 80s, that's for sure. With some more character development and better dialogue, DUDES could have been pretty good. The ingredients to a good picture are here, but the screenplay is not as strong as it should have been. There's still some stuff to like about DUDES. There are some decent laughs, the music is very 80s yet enjoyable, the action scenes are handled quite well, and the revenge plot, though clichéd, is fairly intriguing. I'd be interested in a DVD release with a making-of documentary since I'm sure it would be just as interesting as the film is. However, that will never happen since it seems nobody has ever heard of this movie. Slightly recommended. 5/10