IMDb > Dragnet (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Impressive, Bordering on Spectacular

Author: deapod (deapod@theriver.com) from Southeastern Arizona
6 July 2001

I noticed that many of the comments on this film were negative. Those people need to loosen up and get "just the facts." Maybe I see more of the humor because I am a law enforcement officer, but this film is a scream. It takes everything that the original series did, and does it with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Dan Ackroyd's deadpan Jack Webb impersonation is a riot, as are the remarks he makes to Hanks' Pep Streebeck. A typical example would be after Joe ignores Sylvia Wiss' advances, and Pep calls him on it. Joe looks him dead in the eye and says, "Streebeck, there are two things that separate us from the animals. One, we use cutlery. Two, we can control our sexual urges. I don't know about you, but don't drag ME into your private HELL!" That line is so Jack Webb-DRAGNET that I'm surprised it never showed up in the 1960's version. Like the Austin Powers films, DRAGNET spoofs a cultural icon in such a way as to evoke the original. Ignore the silly plot, and just enjoy the ride.**PS**I have actually used the line I quoted above in the line of duty!

Absolutely hilarious!

Author: Nicholas Sylvain from Dayton, Ohio
29 June 1999

Tom Hanks reminds us of just how good a comic actor he is, and Dan Ackroyd just "becomes" his character! I found the movie to be part dead-on parody, part slapstick, part cop movie (with a twist). Christopher Plummer and Dabney Coleman have a ball with their supporting roles, and Alexandra Paul adds just a dash of sex appeal. I was smiling from start to finish, and could watch it over and over.

One Of My Guilty Pleasures

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
2 September 2007

Although Tom Hanks and Christopher Plummer and Dan Ackroyd have certainly done better work than Dragnet, I can't think of a movie where any of them would have had better fun making it. Dragnet is one of the guilty pleasures I have, a film that will never be rated as one of the greatest of all time, but a film that I split a gut laughing at even though I know all the jokes coming.

Dragnet is a satirical version of the famous documentary style police show from the Fifties and the later color version from the sixties. Dan Ackroyd's dead-on impersonation of the no-nonsense monotone Jack Webb that a generation of Americans grew up remembering is excellent. Like Webb he plays it completely straight or maybe I should say straight man.

Because he's got a new partner fresh from undercover narcotics in Tom Hanks. Ackroyd's not quite used to the girl chasing, motorcycle loving partner that he's been assigned to. He's been brought up in the strict traditions of his Uncle Joe and he has a photograph of Jack Webb on his desk. He's even got Harry Morgan as his captain and we well remember that Harry Morgan was Jack Webb's partner in the sixties version of Dragnet.

Anyway the two of them are assigned to investigate an assortment of crimes that a motorcycle gang called the PAGANS are responsible for. I can't explain any more because the plot gets positively surreal from here. All I can say is the laughs never stop.

Look for some good supporting performances in addition to those mentioned from Elizabeth Ashley as the new police commissioner, Alexandra Paul as 'the virgin Connie Swale', Jack O'Halloran as a Pagan member, Kathleen Freeman as a foulmouthed landlady, and Dabney Coleman as a Hugh Hefner type publisher.

But most of all this film belongs to Christopher Plummer in every scene he's in. He plays the whole thing with a twinkle in his eye when he's being the most sanctimonious as the Reverend Jonathan Whirley. I can't think of a film where Plummer is funnier in or one where it looks like he's having such a good time.

The good time is positively infectious. The most hidebound stuffed shirt will love this film as I did.

not as negative

Author: glen iwata (maverick-69) from bellevue, washingotn
4 September 2000

dragnet is by no means a great film. but it is a funny, goofy light hearted film that both actors play well. i thought it was unusual to see christopher plummer in such a movie but he was good as the founder of "mama". this wont go down as the best film of either tom hanks or dan akroyd.dan has the jack webb impersonation down well though. it still is entertaining and if you want a decent laugh it's worth renting.

Hilarious spoof.

Author: lartronic from Akron, Ohio
20 June 2000

I'm a big fan of the TV series, both the '50's and '60's versions, but I couldn't help watching this one on TNT. The impersonation of Joe Friday is so hilarious it hurts, and his Partner Pep Streebeck was excellent. Harry Morgan from the '60's version was in this, promoted to captain. Next time the film came on, I taped it, and laughed again. Even though it's making fun of the old series, it's fun to watch, and the acting is great. Top-notch comedy.

It's A Fun Bit Of Nostalgia For Those Who've Seen The Old TV Series

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
6 November 2010

It's Saturday, November 6. 9:21 a.m. I've just watched "Dragnet."

A lot of old television shows have been made into movies. Most of them, frankly, have been disappointments. I have to say that the movie version of "Dragnet" is one of the better ones. Based on the cast, it should be. I'm not sure you could do any better than casting Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks in the lead roles, respectively, of Sgt. Joe Friday (supposedly the great-nephew of the Joe Friday from the series) and Tom Hanks as his new partner Pep Streebek. Both played their roles perfectly. Aykroyd was a great satirical take on Jack Webb's character, and Hanks was the perfect balance. The supporting cast - with names like Christopher Plummer and Dabney Coleman and Harry Morgan (reprising his character of Gannon from a 1969 "Dragnet" movie, who's now the police captain) - also made this worth watching.

The story has Friday and Streebek investigating some type of pagan cult that's been causing havoc on the streets of the city. Their undercover encounter with the cult at one of its gatherings was hilarious. Overall, mind you, this isn't an outrageously funny movie. It's more humorous than anything, with appeal mostly to those who've seen the original series. If you've never seen the original series a lot of the subtle humour (which revolves around Aykroyd's parody of Webb's character) will be lost. However, for those who do know the original series, it's a fun nostalgia trip with a good cast.

Wonderful homage to a great old TV show

Author: Steve Michaelson (fidelio_51@yahoo.com)
17 March 2001

Most people remember Dragnet with Jack Webb as the buttoned-up police sergeant Joe Friday. Dan Akyroyd plays the nephew of that character here. He is so much like Webb that he even appears to be channeling him spiritually. Tom Hanks has a great time with the new character of Pep Streebeck, the antithesis of Friday. The rest of the cast is fun, never quite taking the whole business seriously. Dabney Coleman, Christopher Plummer and even Harry Morgan reprising his Bill Gannon role (now the captain of detectives). The marginally fleshed out plot involves P.A.G.A.N.s attacking Coleman's smut magazines and advocating for "good sex and bad drugs" as the key to a great society.

The jokes in this movie fly fast and furious and are aimed at all kinds, not just the lowest common denominator. Lots of fun, randomness abounds. The best way to enjoy this movie is to relax and not take it too seriously, because it is half spoof-half cop action comedy. This is a fun ride. 9/10

A Lame, Directionless Parody, Despite its Inspired Casting

Author: Sean Lamberger from Bradenton, FL
16 July 2014

A big budget effort to revive the long-dormant TV series with a snarkier, more wise-cracking slant. Dan Aykroyd is in his element as the super stiff, by-the-books Joe Friday (nephew of the original protagonist), while Tom Hanks often feels like he tries too hard as the detective's wacky, off-kilter new partner. The two play their roles well, but oddly don't have much of a rapport and feel like they're more wrapped up in the eccentricities of the characters than what's going on around them. I can't really blame them - the plot doesn't seem appropriate, or even all that interesting. Why stick to the guidelines of a basic detective story when you can dive into the overcomplicated saga of an evil pagan minister with deep political ties and a weakness for sacrificial virgins, I guess? It's a terrible match for the cast, who seem as puzzled by it as I was, and sets the film up for failure before it's even found its legs. Amusing at times, for the most part it's helplessly contradictory, clumsy and often downright grating.

Dragnet (1987)

Author: jtwcosmos from Romania
8 July 2011

"Oh, thank God, vibrator repair!"

This is the story of a cop who investigates a series of goofy crimes in the city of Los Angeles. The comedy is awkward, the script is full of flat jokes, but at least the supporting cast is great.

Dan Aykroyd tries his hand at writing comedy, spoofing the old TV series with the same title. His character is a stiff cop, with a unique take on life and an exaggerated care for taxpayer's money and procedure. His jokes are delivered in a matter of fact manner, as if he is saying: "Here you are, Sir, here are your jokes." Which would be fine, if they were funny. But as it was, I didn't quite know what to do with them. Raise them until they grew a funny bone? Send them to comedy school? Put them it in a pie and throw them in somebody's face? Not sure.

I don't know if intentionally or not, but just about everybody else in this movie is funnier than Mr. Aykroyd. Tom Hanks is in this movie, just one year before his big break with "Big". Harry Morgan of "M.A.S.H.", Jack O'Halloran of "Superman II", Alexandra Paul of "Babewatch", all have great little roles in this movie. Dabney Coleman is particularly hilarious with his whistling.

Dragnet. If your taste is cop comedy, there are much better offerings out there (Naked Gun, Beverly Hills Cop, Police Academy, to name just a few). 5/10.

Sit back and enjoy the silliness!

Author: portiau from United Kingdom
26 August 2006

If you're looking for something intellectual or challenging, turn over. However, if you want to watch Dan Ackroyd and Tom Hanks in a classic spoof police movie with some memorable scenes and a lot of laughs, this is your film. Check out the goat leggings, the "baitmates" and P.A.G.A.N. as a concept. The uptight Friday /liberal Streebeck combination of Ackroyd and Hanks is a great odd couple. The cast is fab - Christopher Plummer as the head of the Moral Advance Movement of America, Alexandra Paul as the virgin Connie Swale (yes, the virgin - some change to Baywatch) and the lovely Elizabeth Ashley as the police commissioner (great 80s authority female dressing) with Harry Morgan as the long suffering captain (see Lethal Weapon for reference point). Also you have to love Friday's maternal grandmother, Mrs Grace Monday... In the tradition of National Lampoon and Mel Brooks - you need to see it at least once.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]