IMDb > The Curse (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Curse

The Curse More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Sounds like Lovecraft's "The Colour out of Space"

Author: delinker from United States
11 August 2006

I stumbled across this one while cruising horror flick site. The plot and characters and developments sound like a near crystal clear copy of 'The Colour out of Space' by H.P. Lovecraft. In that story, a meteor, "from the cosmic gulfs", lands on the family farm and begins to change humans and animals into monsters. Similarities include the crop rotting, the animals rotting and the people rotting. The mother is locked into the upstairs attic room as she goes insane and transforms into a hideous pile of putridity. Phuckin' A. In the story, everything turns into a gray powder and disintegrates. One of the farmer's kids falls into the well and gets transformed into a human jello pop. Creepy stuff.

If "The Curse" is nearly as good as it sounds then I'm gonna have to scoop it up.

"Nathan, what is wrong with your chickens?"

Author: udar55 from Williamsburg, VA
8 March 2006

I've got to admit THE CURSE is one of the best comedies I have seen in a long time. Too bad they wanted it to be a serious horror film! A meteorite lands in a small farm in Tennessee and soon poisons the well water. This in turn creates a virus that starts driving everyone mad as their skin beings to peel off. Hey, its another movie Eli Roth ripped off! An uncredited adaption of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Colour from Outer Space," this film is only notable for three things. First, it marks actor David Keith's directorial debut. Second, it stars a young Wil Wheaton and his sister Amy. Third, it may be the only film in history to feature a hot woman trying to get it on with Claude Akins only to have him yell, "No!" Keith is actually a decent director but the film yearns for a widescreen release. If one wants to look deeper into the film, it can be seen as a battle between religion vs. science. When Akins wife gets sick, his plan is to keep her locked up and pray until she gets better while the local doctor wants her to get medical help. But I doubt Keith and co. wanted that much. They wanted to show a movie where people turn gooey and maggots spew characters. And they do that with fine color (interestingly, Lucio Fulci worked on the film in aiding Keith so maybe this is his influence?). For some reason the film opens with what should be the movie's punchline. A fine dumb viewing for late night and not much else.

It's not all that bad

Author: JESSE from United States
13 April 2002

I saw this movie years ago before Wil Wheaton became a star. The thing that struck me the most was how much it resembled 'The colour out of space' by H.P. Lovecraft. One of my favorite Lovecraft stories. I'd like to know if they tried to adapt it or if it was just a coincidence. It wasn't really all that gross, even for 1978 and the acting wasn't any worse than most low budget movies. I'd love to see a Lovecraft story given the big budget treatment. I thought the transformation of the mother through the course of the movie was really creepy. The curse certainly isn't the best horror flick out there but it isn't bad either. As for the Christian stereotypes, c'mon people, that's the way the part was written and Claude Akins does a fantastic job in that part. Besides there really are people out there like that. Just as there are of all stereotypes. As for a rating, I'd give it a 5 out of 10

This movie SUCKS!

Author: sony-6 from USA
2 September 2000

Anyone that could sit throught this film and actually LIKE it is beyond me! This is soooo bad! I was laughing! The only reason i watched it was bc my cousin forced me to, bc she bought it only bc Wil Wheaton was in it then she watched it and regreted wasting 5 bucks! Why did Wil even waste his great acting talent and his GORGEOUS good looks on this?! Oh well he must of REALLY needed the money! My advice is stay very far away from this film! It's not worth it! 0/10

Claude Akins Deserves an Oscar!

Author: Cobbler from Venice Beach, CA.
11 April 2000

Well, that might be going a little overboard, but I was really impressed with his performance in this EXTREMELY low-budget horror flick. Although the lack of cash sometimes shows through (especially in some of the meteor & makeup effects), THE CURSE was an extremely resourceful & effective attempt at backwoods sci-fi/horror. The awful transfer from film to video gave it an authentic drive-in movie circa 1978 feel, almost like a home movie, which for some reason was very creepy to me. And there's a point in the film where all logic seems to go out the window & ALL the characters all start behaving irrationally and illogically; for me, this was quite scary and really fits the theme of the film of people losing their minds and becoming raving zombie lunatics. THE CURSE is an extremely grotesque & graphic film, and for me it seemed very real-- I credit this to the location shooting & the authentic rural atmosphere that the director created. Any serious horror fan, particularly of films from the late 1970s and early 80s, should give this a look. I'm glad I did. 7 out of 10.

Saying this movie stinks is like saying Robert DeNiro is Italian

Author: Richard-110 from San Antonio
30 March 1999

To say that The Curse stinks is like saying Robert DeNiro is Italian. I found the way this movie stereotypes Christians offensive. For Claude Aikens to have been in this movie means that he probably needed money to pay his bills. Save your money and time and start a belly button lint collection instead.

Pretty bad, but I expected a lot worse. Is that a compliment? Not really…

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
11 September 2013

An overly obsessed religious man (Claude Atkins) is trying to provide for his family by holding onto his farm, and make sure his family obeys his orders. An unknown object flies out of nowhere in their yard during a hectic storm, and things start changing for the worse.

This is pretty trashy stuff on virtually no budget what so ever. Actor David Keith takes a break from the acting world to direct this one. How did he do? Not so good… I've seen a lot worse, believe me, but that doesn't mean this is a good horror film. It's incredibly cheap looking with many unlikable characters. The so called "Father" is a sanctimonious idiot who refuses to succumb to any type of reasoning. The brother is a fat pig, and the Mother is unsympathetically weak and naive. It's the real life sister and brother combo (who ironically play brother and sister in the movie as well) of Will & Amy Wheaton that manage to be likable. The gore is mostly consisted of lame gooey effects, and is more laughable than anything else. We do get a rather gruesome scene of a chicken pecking away at a girl. That's really about it. Will Wheaton shows off the talent that he brought to the table in Stand By Me, and manages to overcome such a crappy script. He wasn't great, but considering he had nothing to work with? I commend him. Claude Atkins's character is written as a religious nut who is pretentious, but I thought he was completely moronic. What type of idiot is adamant on drinking water, even if it's been heavily tampered?? He was just written so idiotically that I couldn't wait to see his character perish.

Final Thoughts: It never bored me, but it's an incredibly stupid movie. The poorly written characters and the fact that it took everything seriously really does this one in. This could have been a great cheese fest, but it went the serious route. I can't recommend this one to you guys, unfortunately

3.5/10

A very fun and exciting Sci-fi horror shocker!

Author: John Lindsey from Albuquerque New Mexico
30 September 2007

A young farm boy named Zack Hayes (Wil Wheaton) has a dysfunctional family run by his bible-thumping step-dad Nathan (Claude Akins). Until one night, a meteorite crash lands near their farm and suddenly unleashes a goo carrying alien parasites and contaminates the farm's water supply. The stuff makes the crops look all fresh and huge but disgusting on the inside, the animals turn evil and zombie-esquire and some of the farm people turn into zombie-like creatures as only Zack must fight them.

An entertaining and gooey sci-fi horror thriller inspired by an H.P. Lovecraft story called "The Color of Space" with decent special effects, disgusting moments you won't forget like the apples with worms scene and of course great performances by Wheaton and Akins. Sure the acting of the other actors isn't very good with the exception of Wheaton and Akins and the plot could have been more coherent but this is an enjoyable and gross b-movie from producer Lucio Fulci that's still worth watching.

Also recommended: "Slither", "Night of the Creeps", "The Thing (1982)", "From Beyond", "Re-Animator", "Deadly Friend", "C.H.U.D.", "Slugs", "Undead", "Tremors", "Pet Semetary", "Maximum Overdrive", "Night of the Comet", "The Deadly Spawn (a.k.a. Return of the Aliens)", "Xtro", "Die Monster Die", "Contamination", "Doom", "Critters 1 & 2", "Killer Klowns from Outer Space", "The Gate", "Terrorvison", "Videodrome", "Society", "Lifeforce", "Event Horizon", "Creepshow", "Evil Dead II", "Bad Taste", "Insemenoid", "Bride of Re-Animator", "Beyond Re-Animator", "Dagon", "The Blob (1958 and 1988)", "The Stuff", "Resident Evil", "Day of the Terrifs", "From Dusk Till Dawn", "The Fly (1986)", "The Pit", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1957 and 1978)", "The Faculty", "X-Files: Fight the Future" and "Species".

I didn't think it was too bad actually.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
14 May 2007

The Curse is set in the small American town of Tellico Plains in Tennessee where the deeply religious Nathan Crane (Claude Akins) & his son Cyrus (Malcolm Danare) lives with his current wife Frances (Kathleen Jordon Gregory) & her two children Zachary & Alice (real life brother & sister Wil & Amy Wheaton). One night Zach sees a meteorite crash onto land near the farmhouse, they call Alan Forbes (Cooper Huckabee) the local doctor & part time meteorite specialist in to check it out & any potential health risks. Forbes finds none although the meteorite is very strange & unlike anything he's ever seen, the following night the meteorite melts into a river of slimy goo which infects the farms water supply with horrifying consequences from killer chickens to the bodily mutation of those that drink the infected water...

The directorial debut of David Keith who is better known as an actor it comes as no surprise that in the twenty years since The Curse was made he has only directed two other things, judging by the results here he obviously decided somewhat wisely to concentrate on his acting career... Anyway, the script by David Chaskin, whose only other previous script was for A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985), was filmed under the title 'The Well' & was supposedly based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft interestingly called 'The Colour Out of Space' & is just a little bit different that makes this stand out from the countless slasher films that were being made during the 80's, unfortunately however that still doesn't mean it's any good. It's funny because while I was watching The Curse for the first time last night since it was originally released in the late 80's & knowing of it's bad reputation I sat there thinking we all complain about films, in particular horror, not being original yet when something that at least tries to be different comes along like The Curse they almost always get bad reviews because of them being silly or stupid, I'm not really sure where I'm going or what I'm trying to say with that statement but it feels relevant. The film moves along at a reasonable pace at less than 90 minutes in length & at least I never got bored with it, the character's & dialogue are poor but just about suffice & most of all it entertained me & as far as I'm concerned that's what films are all about regardless of any other consideration & it's as simple & straight forward as that. On the negative side there's a distinct lack of exploitation or gore & the character's & story aren't quite good enough on they're own to save The Curse. I also didn't get what the meteorite was in the end & there was no consistency in it's explanation, at first everything was explained in a scientific way with the goo altering the molecular structure of living things but at the end it suddenly appeared to become some supernatural force as it ripped the farmhouse apart without much explanation of how it did so.

Director Keith does alright, it looks OK although there is one terrible special effect when the meteorite originally lands. If you look closely at the left hand side of the screen during the shot when the meteorite hits the ground for the first time the resulting explosion & fire illuminates the rod/stick thing that is attached to the model meteorite & is being used to 'move' it along the obviously model set! Overall though the special effects are OK, there's an unfortunate & somewhat frustrating lack of gore, someone gets some fingers stuck in their neck & someone is stabbed with a pitchfork but generally speaking it's pretty tame. There are a few quite effective scenes here including a gross bit when someone bites into an apple & it's literally full of crawling maggots which has to be right up there as your worst nightmare, I think I'd be physically sick & wouldn't be able to eat another piece of fruit ever again!

Technically the film is OK, it's reasonably well made without being spectacular or anything. The IMDb states that The Curse was an American production but I was interested to see several familiar names from the Italian horror industry listed in the credits including Ovidio G. Assonitis & Lucio Fulci on the production side of things & the fact that some of it was actually shot in Rome in Italy. The acting is OK, apparently actor Wil Wheaton said the only good thing about The Curse was that his sister got a job because of it, I think there will be some out there who see even less good points in it. The cast list also credits someone called Steve Davis with a part, I can safely but regrettably inform everyone that it's not the famous British snooker player...

The Curse is one of those strange films, it's one of those films where the general public opinion is that it's complete crap & to be fair I would have a hard time arguing with that assessment but, & there's always a but, for whatever reason that I can't really explain I liked it. I'm not sure what that says about me but I reckon this just might be misunderstood...

Who the Hell is Will Wheaton?

Author: Randolf Carter from United States
28 December 2006

And more importantly, who the hell cares?!?!? When a film boasts in HUGE letters on the cover that it stars somebody you've never heard of, be skeptical.

So, why do all these ultra low budget film makers have to torture poor H.P. Lovecraft stories? I mean, is there any excuse for it? I put forward that , no, there is not.

This little diamond of poop managed to rope Sheriff Lobo and Luke Duke in to it's crap-trap. And wow! They got Will Wheaton (so?!?).

Okay, it was based on the Colour out of Space (sort of), so, being an HPL fan, I had to get it. Well, I got it....I even went in skeptical, and knowing it was a lame 'un, but still was disappointed.

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]