IMDb > The Curse (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Curse

The Curse More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Dhydes, Preach it Brother!

Author: dark1714 from california
1 November 2000

Hey Dude, Its glad to see someone else shares my opinion about this movie, The Curse rules people! Stop trashing it, C'mon. I dont feel so weird now, that I know someone else found this movie to be scary. Cause this movie did freak me out big time, When I was a kid. Now I can just laugh when I see Frances Play connect the dots on Cyrus's butt....hehehehe. Its hilarious when nathen keeps Slapping Zack around, everytime he opens his mouth. So what this movie is cheap, Its a 80s horror movie, Horror movies arn't supposed to have a huge budget. This movie frightened me very much like back in, 1988, when I was like, 7. Now I love this movie, it rocks. I dont understand why all these people are giving this movie such bad reviews. one thing I dont understand is, how come the lady who played Frances never made any other movies except this one. She should of. I dont get how someone can make one movie 15 years ago, and never make one again. Its weird. But, Anyway, I wanna suggest something to the IMDB. In the Memorable Quotes section for this movie, you gotta put the line when Cyrus says " What are ya doin back there " to Frances. And She answers "Connect The Dots ", That scene is so funny, so you gotta put it in there man. take my advice IMDB. your right DHYDES, this movie is a great metomorphis type Horror movie. Another movie that you should have listed is The Exorcist, Thats the best Metomorphis style horror movie, next to the Curse, I think. Those were the only movies that ever really scared me( The Curse and the Exorcist). they're both very similar in many ways, cause they both deal with innocent people getting all messed up, getting all gross, and acting crazy. So, with that said, go see THE CURSE. dont listen to all the other bad reviews. It Rules!

A great film of evil metamorphosis

Author: (dhydes@linfield.edu)
28 October 2000

What suprises me when reading these comments is the wide array of differing opinions. Either you hated it or you loved it. I for one, loved it. I watched it when I was in junior high and it freaked me out. Every piece of fruit I ate for weeks had to be cut, and if I cut it, I stood as far back as possible. My brother has since bought the movie and whenever we make it out to see eachother that movie comes along. It doesn't quite freak me out the way it used to, but it still gets to me. Its a great film of metamorphosis, a type of film too under-produced. If you found this film scary I would guess you found other movies of metamorphosis scary, such as The Fly or Leviathan. This movie will never win an oscar, but its got something indescribable and disturbing. As a huge horror film fanatic, I would list The Curse on my top 3.

This movie rules!

Author: dark1714 from California
16 August 2000

I love this movie, I watch it all the time. When I first saw it on HBO around the time it first came out 87-88 it scared the hell out of me. The thing I think that really scared me about this movie was how in the beginning all the character seemed so innocent, so pure. then all of a sudden they started acting acting crazy, losing their minds and starting doing all these weird things. The character that frightened me the most was Frances. That whole thing about the water being contaminated freaked me out alot when I was little. After seeing this movie I was afraid to drink water for a long time. this film gave me nightmares for weeks. I would say that I was traumitized a little by this movie as a kid. I loved horror movie back then and still do. But this has to be one of the only movies that truly scared me. I finally saw this movie again a few years ago. And I wasn't scared of it anymore. I thought I might be. But I wasn't. Instead of being scared when I saw it, this time I laughed my ass off. The funniest part in the movie has to be the part when Frances plays connect th dots on cyrus's butt. Thats one of the coolest things I've ever seen done in a movie. I laugh everytime. So I recommend this to anyone who like cheesy 80's horror movies. but remember you probably won't want to drink any water for a while after seeing this movie, cause i know I didn't. Watch this movie!

John Schneider is awesome!

Author: Tiger (johnschneiderfan@aol.com) from Hazzard County, WA
28 August 1999

I viewed this movie because John Schneider was in it. He was so cool but the movie wasn't really scary. That's ok though cause it doesn't look like something he'd watch with his family. Keep it between the ditches y'all and Grrreat job John!

All in all pretty good

Author: Lacy Myers from United States
26 April 2009

I watched this movie for the 1st time yesterday.. I thought that it was a pretty good movie, but no one can dis-regard the fact that it is a classic 80's cheesy horror movie... having that said I must admit that I did love the movie though. There were parts where you could tell it was fake, then other times things looked real. I think that it is something that if you get the chance to watch it, you should, but I'm sure tons of other people disagree with me. It wasn't Wil's best. I think Wil done just fine in the movie, I just think that everything else could have been better like the camera direction and the special effects and stuff. All-in-all, if you want to scare your younger relative, make them watch this movie.

I still have nightmares

Author: elmako (elmako@hotbrev.com) from Turku, Finland
3 September 2003

I can't understand how some people diss this excellent piece of horror history. I remember seeing it when I was around 8 or 9. I still have some nightmares about rotten food, and whenever the water tastes funny, I think of these f*d up religious freaks turning into monsters. Yes, the special effects suck. Yes the acting is bad. But don't you folks have any imagination? Does someone have to explain to you what happens in a book? Free your minds, you gullible yanks! Without expanding your mind and freeing some space up for imagination, we would only have a hellish society left. Which coincidentally reminds me of some weird dictator-led nation with stars n stripes...

Lol

Author: hurricane_floyd from United States
19 February 2006

Lmao!!! You guys think you have it bad watching this thing, I actually spent half my life in the little hick town it was filmed in.

Now that is bad.

Oddly only a small glimpse of the town is visible in the movie, in the scene where you can see an old barbed wire fence outside of the car window as John Schneider drives down the road... well the hill just above it has contained 3 apartment complexes since around 1992 and I currently reside in one of them.

In another scene you can see out the door of the "Inn" (if you can call it that) the old historic Co-Op building which used to be a Railroad Station that was used in the Civil War (tracks have been gone since 1990 or so).

Fortunately I did spend the other half of my childhood in various other places across the country.

Unfortunately, I am currently residing in good Ole' Tellico Plains Tennessee again ..... can't seem to stay out of this place .... aaahhh... omg it is a curse!!!!

The Curse

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
29 November 2009

A struggling farmer believes God has blessed him when his crops begin to grow substantially after a large meteor lands in his field, dissolving into his soil and water supply after the local doc, Forbes(Cooper Huckabee), pokes a hole in it. The infected water(it's molecular structure altered by the introduced alien substance from the glowing meteor) causes people and livestock to act irrationally, soon turning violent. Hysteria, dementia, violent mood swings, and skin mutations all result from the infected water.The fruit is worthless internally despite looking ripe and healthy externally. The local realtor and city councilman, Charlie Davidson(Steve Carlisle) woos a TVA water employee, Willis(John Schneider)hoping to get a contract for building a dam in their community.

Poor Zack(Wil Wheaton) has to rough it on his own once his mother, Francis(Kathleen Jordon Gregory) becomes "under the weather" and his sister(Amy, Wil's sis) is assaulted by manic chickens, as Nathan(Akins) and his antagonistic jerk son, Cyrus(Malcolm Danare), both even worse after being infected, torment him through insults and harsh treatment..you see he's not their blood(..his mother married Nathan, it seems, because they needed support he could give) which means they feel little pity or affection towards him. Nathan is a hard, strict, bible-quoting fanatic who doesn't want anyone "butting in" to matters he considers private, even if disease and death spread because of the infected water, or what's evident before him, the fact that his family are afflicted with a plague.

Tolerating Claude Akins for the duration of this film proves to be difficult because he's such a loud and repugnant creature you just want to see suffer in the worst possible way for the problems he causes. And, Wheaton is certainly easy to sympathize with because he's caught between a rock and hard place, little wiggle room to remove himself as madness evolves all around him. Of course, those involved in attempting to cover up something which could prove harmful regarding future prosperity will get their just desserts. Some really spine-tingling make-up effects showing what the mutations and disease cause to humans(and particularly the fruit and cattle)such as opening wounds bursting forth maggots, slimy puss, and beetles! The climax, as the house literally begins imploding while sinking into the earth, is a bit too much. The hideous nature for which causes mother Francis to deform into a ghastly monstrosity is really potent stuff. I'm sure Akins and Danare's fate will be met with applause. I do consider The Curse a success in regards to how it can effectively make your skin crawl, but other than that, I find this rather foul in all respects. It seems to suffer post-production problems, in script particularly, as characters vanish, while others make such preposterous choices which could cause irreversible results(..not to mention a ridiculous ending which leads us to believe that nothing was done in regards to the crisis of the film, written off as no threat or danger to the communities surrounding the farm whose soil and water could cause a national outbreak).

This is part of a series of films unrelated to each other.

Watch out for Nate's smack attack, Zack!

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
15 September 2015

Poor old Zack (Will Wheaton): his mom, Frances (Kathleen Jordon Gregory), has gone and married Nathan, a super-strict, religious zealot farmer (Claude Akins) who punishes every infraction with a lightning-fast slap or two around the chops (seriously, this guy has the reflexes of Bruce Lee). Zack's older step-brother Cyrus (Malcolm Danare) isn't much better, an obnoxious fat slob who takes every opportunity to drop the youngster in the s**t (sometimes literally!). Matters only get worse for Zack after a strange meteor crashes onto the farm, contaminating the water supply with space goop that spoils the crops, causes the animals to turn hostile, and turns his family into violent raving loonies with very bad skin.

Loosely based on H. P. Lovecraft's short story The Colour Out of Space, The Curse is a trashy slice of '80s B-movie schlock that no-self respecting fan of bad movies should miss. The dreadful directorial debut of actor David Keith, whose career behind the camera has, rather unsurprisingly, not exactly flourished, the film delivers one unintentionally hilarious scene after another. Viewers are treated to a crazed chicken attack on Zack's l'il sis Alice (Amy Wheaton), a manky mutated tomato squirting a torrent of juice over Frances's face, a mouldy cow erupting in a spray of maggots, Zack's mother melting into a pool of liquid, and a ridiculously over-the-top finalé in which Zack must rescue his younger sister from the farmhouse, which is inexplicably collapsing in on itself, while fending off attacks from his demented step-relatives (Cyrus attacks Alice, while Nathan, impaled on a pitchfork, still manages to show Zack the back of his hand a couple more times before carking it).

The amazing thing is, as bad as this is, it somehow spawned a sequel (of sorts)—Curse II: The Bite, in which a guy's hand turns into a snake.

6.5 out of 10 (it's too much fun to rate any lower), rounded up to 7 for IMDb.

80s Cheesfest

Author: slayrrr666 (slayrrr666@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
21 November 2007

"The Curse" is enjoyable when it tries, and only has a few decent points about it.

**SPOILERS**

Working on a farm, Zack, (Wil Wheaton) starts getting upset over stepfather Nathan Hayes, (Claude Atkins) and stepbrother Cyrus, (Malcom Danare) continuous religious indoctrination, despite his mother Frances, (Kathleen Jordon Gregory) and sister Alice, (Amy Wheaton) interjections. When a meteorite crashes nearby, they are at a loss of what to do and finally decide to ignore it when it doesn't test as such. When they try to continue on, they slowly start to realize that there is something wrong, and Dr. Forbes, (Cooper Huckabee) is able to trace it back to the meteorite infecting the drinking water. Knowing this, the unaffected family members try to get away from the infected ones.

The Good News: This one is slightly disappointing with a few good qualities. The slow build-up works at times, mainly due to the fact that it's a series of small events with seemingly no relation to each other suddenly starting to build up. From the mentions of the water to the freak-out at dinner to the apples, cattle and skin suddenly start going rotten, this one builds nicely and has some sense to do it that way. It slips in slowly and finally, they all add up once it sinks in as to what is going on. There is some really nice make-up work in here, especially the subtle wounds on the face. They slowly show up and become more prominent, another product of the slow build-up and once the creature transformation occurs, it becomes a really great job. The fact that this has a couple of high-quality action scenes is a great plus. The landing of the meteorite is a spectacular fiery spectacle, complete with high quality crushing in the countryside and leaving a flaming trail of trees in the path. The big one is the final assault in the house at the end, which has several of the film's few kills, a really great brawl mixed in with several fights and the action-packed spectacle that ensues when the house starts to fall down as others inside are still fighting. That makes the sequence all the better, and these make the film watchable.

The Bad News: There are a few flaws with this one. The most obvious one is the utter lack of action in the film. This one decides to spend almost all of the beginning concentrating on the talking, and outside of the meteorite crashing, nothing happens until the middle section. That leaves the beginning with absolutely nothing, and that is drawn down even more by the film's constant religious banter. This is aggravating on several areas, since there's a valuable chunk of the movie taken up with a time-wasting factor, plus all it does is just get to the point where it isn't a character trait, especially once it becomes obvious that they're using that as an excuse to keep the plot moving. It could've been ended early during the first questioning section, but by playing the religious card, it keeps it going for no reason. These here all combine together to make the film seem really dull. The special effects are really hit-or-miss, with some being passable and others just being atrocious. The subtle special effects for the face are great, but once they start to go in between the two, the intermediate stage of the monsters look rather cheap and really terrible, and with the constant shoving of it in the viewer, it soon becomes laughable. The last big one is that there's a severe lack of kills in a monster movie. This one really only knocks off a couple, while the others are responsible from others. This makes the creature seem less like a possible threat due to the fact that it really doesn't have much time to really get out and give it a chance to become threatening. These here are what really keep the film down.

The Final Verdict: There isn't a whole lot to love about it, but there is a couple good points in here to make this feel watchable. It's worthwhile only for those who enjoy the cheesy creature features of the time, while those who aren't that big on those should be well advised to seek caution with this one.

Rated R: Violence and Language