The Care Bears Adventure in Wonderland

A Great Musical, Children's Classic

Author: Matthew Hartzell (1040891877@qq.com) from US
5 April 2003

I saw this as a kid in the 80s and loved it and for that reason it will always remain a part of me. I was not a Care Bears fan or anything, but this movie was a lot of fun. The characters were very developed. The story was a lot of fun. The animation was decent. And the songs really stand out. Usually, the music in animated children's movies is pretty pitiful, but these songs are good! "Everything is wonderful in wonderland", "Mad about Hats", "Dont forget to use your heart", and a whole bunch of others. It's funny, it has good messages for kids, Alice is cute, and the animations is really psychedelic because this is set in *Wonderland* of course. The wizard is scary and his two assistants are hilarious. So is the Chesher Cat. See it!

good stuff, one particular memorable song

Author: RAMChYLD from Klang, Malaysia
14 December 2005

Well, let's start with the songs. In particular, the one titled "Have anybody seen this girl?". This song is by far one of the most gosh-darn addictive and memorable song I've ever heard. For some odd reason, though I no longer have the videocassette with me (my mom actually borrowed it from a friend, and have since returned it. We did get a copy of the video for our own, but it went missing shortly after too), and I've not seen the movie for around ages now, I still remember the tune to the song. I also rather remember the other songs on the movie - the one that goes "I'm mad about hats", the opening "Rise and Shine" song, and I do vaguely remember the Grumpy bear rapping end sequence.

SPOILER FOLLOWS: Overall story is kinda okay. Story starts with one of the bear's cousin's cousins or something or other appearing - it seems that the princess of Wonderland is lost. So they go search around and somehow ends up with a girl that looks just like the princess, except that the girl's name is Alice. They take her through the mirror, and we learn that the wizard is somewhat of a cog and plans to turn Wonderland into a dull gray place. Also, in a weird twist of plot,the queen turns out to be not nasty at all. She has found out that the evil wizard has kidnapped the real princess and locked her up somewhere, but without proof, she cannot take action against the wizard. So she needs to use Alice as a decoy while the Care Bears go look for the real princess. They managed to find the princess thanks to the Mad Hatter, and on another weird twist, it turns out that the Jabberwocky(think his name was Stan or something alike) was also a good guy - he was just being mean because he has a splinter stuck to his foot(cliché stuff, that). They managed to switch the princess with Alice in time for the most impossible trial of all, and upon completion of the task, the wizard, in a rage of absentmindedness, blurts out his plans for all to hear, and thus ends up getting locked up. Then they go back to Care-a-lot, and Grumpy busts a rap about food or something as the credits start to roll.

Verdict: memorable movie, and if I find the DVD or VideoCD or even videocassette on a shelf at a store, I'll no doubt snap it up. The plot itself is just mediocre, but the way the plot was written and executed - brilliant. Lots of humor, the music is darn memorable, and the characters - pleasant voice, captivating and not annoying at all. I didn't really think much of the Care Bear's TV show back in the 80s, but this movie is good stuff. Okay, maybe it's happy-sappy delusion syndrome, but remembering the songs has got to mean something positive, right?

Class

Author: raunchy_raquel from Nottingham, England
23 May 2004

Maybe the reason why I love this film so much is because I remember it from when I was really little but I'll stand by saying I think that this film is quality. For sheer drama, Care Bears Movie II is probably better but this film is lighter, more comical and more colourful!

I LOVE the songs! I mean, Natalie Cole sings the opener for heaven's sake! And the Cheshire Cat, rapping, is just genius (as is Grumpy Bear rapping at the end). Alice, to be honest, annoyed me after a while but I still find Dim and Dum funny to this day (though I think few share my opinion but the scene where they think they've caught Alice in a big sack still cracks me up).

But anyway, give it a go, you might just be converted (or maybe not...!)

In regard to The Care Bears, this is one of their better outings

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
9 May 2012

I am not the biggest fan of The Care Bears, but I loved the show from the 80s and the first two movies. The rest of their stuff(movies/specials/shows-wise) have been hit and miss. Luckily The Care Bears in Wonderland is one of their better outings. The dialogue is corny and over-simplistic at times and the whole explanation about the jabberwocky being mean was a little cliché and lame. However, the animation is quite nice, with the colours vibrant especially. Some of the visuals are on the psychedelic side, but considering the oddball nature of the original story and Wonderland itself it works. The music I was surprised by, the score is whimsical enough but the songs are memorable and fun, Rise and Shine, Has Anyone Seen This Girl and Mad About Hats were the standouts. I don't care for rap usually, but Grumpy's rap song was surprising and funny. The story is full of charming moments with a great, identifiable message and maintains the bewitching feel of the timeless original story. The characters also delight, the care bears are likable enough and better than their rep, with the best being Grumpy(they're saccharine sure but I think evil is far too harsh considering there are far more annoying franchise characters anyway). Alice is cute, the wizard is another memorable and scary villain to match Spirit and DarkHeart and the henchmen are hilarious. Plus I don't think I've ever seen the Cheshire Cat as cool as he is here in other incarnations. In conclusion, I like it, I've seen better movies but this is nowhere near the worst either. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Not too bad.

Author: evilgnik from United States
23 December 2006

I was actually upset with this movie at first because I thought it was overkill. While I still think it is somewhat the movie isn't that bad. The over all story is mediocre but it wasn't done badly. Then there's the songs! I've seen all 3 care bear movies and liked all the songs in them. While I think the soundtrack to the second movie is the best - what could beat Growing Up and Forever Young?, the songs were good in this one as well. My favorites were Rise and Shine and Has Anybody Seen This Girl. The rap at the end was kind of lame but funny in a weird way. I know I'm probably being really generous, maybe because I'm biased towards care bears but I'll give this one 10 stars.

this is a children's masterpiece!

Author: davrosc
18 April 2002

*********************** S P O I L E R S *************************

This is a classic movie. Much better than the first for young kids. So it is only loosely based on the Alice in Wonderland concept but it is highly inventive and colourful and loveable.

It also has a rare thing - some good songs! Nowadays it seems Childrens movies just get thrown around for commercial value and stuck together in no time. Effort has been put in over the songs in this movie.

I bought the video (or rather had it bought for me) back in the 80s and although I'm now in my twenties I still go back and watch it now and then.

Sad maybe but this is a great movie and definitely recommended for children and especially those born into the world of dire late 90s children TV.

Not Entirely Bad...But Far From the Best

Author: jarobledo3 from United States
14 August 2012

Ever since I was three years old, I have loved the tales of "Alice" by Lewis Carroll. For several years, I have made it my sworn duty to "collect" all I can – photographs (from parks, stores, etc.), videos, games, books, etc. – related to these classics. I have never been a fan of the Care Bears: I never saw the first film, and the second film, which I saw at the age of six, bored me at most points, while the villain, Darkheart, managed to make the list as one of the few villains I've ever seen that managed to frighten me. Needless to say, I was not exactly enthusiastic when I decided to view this film...especially after reading a review on this film from "Time Out," which described it as "hemlock to Lewis Carroll fans." But, I felt it was, again, my duty to watch and "collect" it.

To say the film was a total disappointment would be untrue: the songs in this whimsical little musical are not bad, with only the opening number, "Rise and Shine," being obnoxious in the slightest. The moral(s) it teaches children are good ones to teach, although the execution of this teaching needs tweaking. I also greatly like Keith Hampshire's performance, as both the Mad Hatter and the Jabberwocky; the former's magical collection of headgear has the power to change the personalities of those who wear them. Needless to say, he needs to adopt a series of different voices, energies, and personas to make this idea work...he even does an impersonation of W.C. Fields! However, I still don't hold this "typically bland kiddy outing" (as Leonard Maltin, I believe, described it) in high regard: first of all, the designs of the characters are only slightly similar to Tenniel's timeless illustrations, and, at times, seem to be ripped off from Disney characters. (The Tweedles remind me of Maleficent's Goons, the Queen of Hearts is somewhat reminiscent of the Fairy Godmother from "Cinderella," and the Hatter looks suspiciously similar to Dopey of the Seven Dwarfs.) These colorful, "cuddly" designs are okay, I guess, and no toddler will dislike them, but it pains my eyes.

Secondly, and most importantly, is the "creative" license being taken with the characters: just the names of certain characters really tick me off. The Evil Wizard is a black bishop chess piece. Seriously, since this is based on "Alice," couldn't an Alice-styled name have been used to make things a bit more appropriate? Something like...oh, I don't know...Black Bishop?! They even change established names: Tweedledee and Tweedledum become TweedleDIM and Tweedledum. And worst of all: Stan. This is the name of the Jabberwocky. Are you serious? The most ferocious and frumnious beast in Wonderland is named "Stan?!" I understand that he's not as bad as he seems, but making the character a "good guy," and especially in the way this movie handles that treatment, is a cliché in itself, and giving him a name as plain as "Stan" makes my blood boil.

Aside from the names, there are the personalities: I find the Wizard to be a great disappointment as a villain, particularly when compared to Darkheart: there is only one vaguely frightening point in this whole film, and it lasts for a split second (fans of the Nostalgia Critic might know what I'm talking about). I understand this is a children's film, but, still, the Wizard is extremely stereotyped, both in appearance and personality, and his tune – while catchy – is far too silly to make him seem even faintly like a threat, and his plans and the way he executes them seem a bit...loose. His everlasting dependence on Dim and Dumb (who may be the most bungling of all the buffoons in the history of bumbling henchmen) also makes me wonder: just WHY does he keep these two around in the first place? We've all asked this about countless villains countless times, but in this case his use of them as goons is especially questionable, as he isn't all that smart himself, so there's no "smart boss – dumb thug(s)" relationship going on at all. It's more of a "dumb, dumber, and dumber-er" relationship.

Not only is the idea of the Cheshire Cat as a rap artist ridiculous, the design and animation of this character is really, very...strange, to say the least, and the husky, raspy voice of the character makes every scene he appears in seem really psychedelic and trippy. (Seriously: it's weirder than a Jefferson Airplane tune!)

The ending's confusing...I've already given away too many spoilers, so I won't go into too much detail. Maybe it doesn't confuse people when they (previous viewers of this film know who) switch places, but, too me, it really seems self-destructive towards the moral goal of this story, and also involves plot holes for me. (i.e. Exactly when did the switch occur?) However, the youngest of audiences probably won't notice this problem, so that gives it some leniency.

My overall decision: good for Care Bears fans, maybe, but far from great. Personally, if I want to get an "Alice" film for my kids, I'll just stick with Disney's 1951 cartoon. (It may be overrated, but you really can't go wrong there...)

Watch the first "Care Bears Movie" instead!

Author: La Gremlin from Boston, Ma
19 July 2000

Time to clarify something. This is the movie most people accuse the FIRST Care Bears adventure of being: a saccharine squirm fest. Now I happen to like the Care Bears (I pretty much ran to their defence in my review of their first movie, which I STILL recommend), but this was just a really bad concept to begin with.

It's as if the producers wanted to do an "Alice in Wonderland" movie, then got bored about halfway through and decided to throw the Bears in. Oddly, this isn't based on the Lewis Carrol books but on Disney's version of Wonderland (so it's a movie inspired by another movie inspired by a book). Even so, it has it's moments. The way they envision the Cheshire Cat is very inventive and possibly the best reason to give this movie a look (if you've seen it already you know what I'm talking about, otherwise rent it and fast forward through any scenes that don't involve the Cat). There's a nice message about believing in yourself, but it's nearly negated by the stupid cop-out ending.

There is, however, one more thing that totally saves the movie. Three words: Grumpy Bear RAPPING!!!

Bleeccchhh

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
13 June 2014

All right, look - clearly I'm not the target audience for this thing (I'm not a six-year-old girl) but I just don't see the appeal. This is the third of a vomit-inducing and sickly series of slapdash cartoons that make the 'Land before Time' franchise look hard as nails.

This thing is full of cheap sentiment and superficial platitudes (Believe in yourself! Everyone's special! Follow your heart!), and although the plot incorporates elements of 'Alice in Wonderland' even the imagination of that book can't cover up the shoddy animation and lacklustre story.

The strangest thing about this sugary duffer is that the Care Bears call themselves Care Bears even though their number includes a lion, a rabbit and an elephant. Maybe the steam was running out of the toy line. Anyway, it's all very lame.

The Care Bears Adventure in Wonderland

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
21 June 2005

When I was a kid I used to be babysat, and every time we went there I would ask if we could watch The Care Bears Adventure in Wonderland. At the time this used to be quite an alright film, especially for a cartoon. But now, I think it is just an excuse to remake Alice in Wonderland and put characters in it. Care Bears are met by the white rabbit and they try to find a Princess. They go to Wonderland to find her with her lookalike replacement, Alice (coincidence!). I used to like the Care Bear Grumpy, especially at the end. But I also used to like the impressions and happenings of the Mad Hatter. If I was to see this again it would be in a million years, yes it's really that bad. Poor!