IMDb > Can't Buy Me Love (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

80's Entertainment At Its Best

Author: Scott Carr (6sgc2@qlink.queensu.ca) from Kingston, Ontario
8 March 1999

I love those cheesy 80's teenage love stories. They are fun and entertaining. "Can't Buy Me Love" is one of the better ones for sure. It is one of those movies that you can watch over and over and still love it. The story is interesting and the performances are great. Amanda Peterson is fantastic as the high-priced yet emotionally repressed love interest of lawnboy Patrick Dempsey. The story is funny and moving and can even make you cry. Watch it with friends, watch it alone, watch it with someone you love and remember the pressures of high school and the friends that got you through it.

Underrated and charming 80's teen flick

Author: Peter (fineanimal) from San Diego, California
29 September 2002

Most 80's teen flicks leave a rather sick feeling in my stomach, but this one has always been a favorite despite the stereotypical shallow, big-haired girls and the Animal House wanna-be jocks. The difference is that the stars, Patrick Dempsey and Amanda Peterson, are not so stereotypical in their roles as lonely nerd and ultra-popular head cheerleader.

Patrick Dempsey has always been underrated as an actor with style, and it is unfortunate that his character, Ronald, is so unlikable after the film's premise kicks in. Ronald goes "from geek to chic" and back again. But Dempsey himself seems too inherently confident to really pull off the geek aspect believably, and he's too cruel to the girl whose heart he won for Ronald to be a truly sympathetic character. The hip version of Ronald, however, is a hoot to watch, even if it is somewhat overdone in the context of an already unlikely plot.

The standout in this film is Amanda Peterson, whose character Cindy has to be one of the most genuinely likeable "stuck up" high school girls on film. Watching her character grow and open her heart to Ronald is the main reason I've given this film repeated viewings. Although the genres are quite different, I'd compare Peterson's character to Renee Zellweger's character in Jerry MaGuire in terms of sheer likability. Making characters likeable is much more difficult than making them sympathetic, and I'm frankly shocked that Peterson's career did not skyrocket after this performance.

Whether you're looking for creative ways to invest $1000 or dancing lessons, Can't Buy Me Love is one 80's teen flick that has a lot to offer.

The High School Caste System

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
25 April 2004

Can't Buy Me Love is a sweet romantic comedy that's still great after all these years. What was the reason for making an exact replica of the film (Love Don't Cost A Thing) except geared for young black audiences? Why not just make an original romantic comedy altogether instead of trying to replicate this particular teen movie? I hate remakes.

Can't Buy Me Love ridicules the high school caste system--that popular kids are the invincible social class that other social groups strive to be part of, but are limited by the "understood" rigid rules of their place among the social system.

Ronald (Patrick Dempsey) is supposed to be the hopeless nerd. He's a quiet kid that flocks with loners (one of them being the cool Max Perlich). Ronald is in love with senior cheerleader, Cindy Mancini (Amanda Peterson). As the popular, rich cheerleader, she is definitely hands off for Ronald. Ronald wants the girl. He wants to be popular. Is it possible for the geek to transcend his expected role in the game of high school social groups? Definitely, but for Ronald, the consequences are disasturous and also conducive to helping Ronald straighten out his priorities of friendship, love, and the like. Is he willing to trade it all in for popularity and all the superficiality that comes with it?

Ronald's opportunity arrives when Cindy stumbles into the mall one day looking to return or exchange her mother's outfit stained with wine thanks to Cindy, who wasn't supposed to be wearing it, anways. The price of a new outfit: $1,000. So, Ronald, who happens to have that cash since he was saving up for a telescope, makes Cindy an offer: to pretend to be his girlfriend for a month. Ronald expects that this will give him just the popularity he wants. To be a high school senior, friends with Cindy, and make the A List? For Ronald, that's all he wants.

Cindy's grossed out by the idea at first, not wanting to be scene with Donald (as she constantly mistakens his name). But with the Mancini make over, Ronald's on his way to being the new stud on campus. One month later, Ronald is rubbing elbows with Cindy's senior friends, cheerleaders Barbara and Patti and and jocks Big John and Ricky. But, Ronald, in his transition, seemed to forgot that what he wanted all along was a date with Cindy Mancini, who's makeover has turned Ronald into some kind of monster. Ronald doesn't only push Cindy away, but also his closest friend, Kenneth (Courtney Gains) and the rest of his old crowd of friends who hate their friend's newfound social life. But, how far is Ronald willing to go? And how long can he live down the lie?

It was one of three good movies Dempsey made in 1987, along with Loverboy and In the Mood (actually the latter is better than the former), all being cute romantic comedies. But I think Can't Buy Me Love will always be my favorite. Patrick Dempsey, Amanda Peterson, Seth Green (who plays Ronald's little brother, Chuckie), or hell, even Max Perlich fans, are certain to like this movie. It's got good style for the 80s too and hot teen cast. I still think it is one of the top 80s teen comedies.

Extremely Enjoyable

Author: Nikki Hoskin from Northern California
13 February 2005

The person that said this movie was overlong but enjoyable doesn't know what they are talking about. If you want to see overlong, watch Dances With Wolves and it wasn't even enjoyable. "Can't Buy Me Love" is the ultimate 80's movie along with "Breakfast Club" and "Adventures in Babysitting". I watch this movie each time it's on TV. I also have it on VHS and DVD. The story line was easy to follow, not that matters and just kept you interested. I enjoyed all the characters and could definitely see my high school years in them. If you haven't seen this movie, rent, get it, watch it. If you have seen this movie then you know what I'm talking about.

I'm Nikki and I approve this message.

The best 80s movie ever

Author: Dmsokana from United States
17 April 2006

If you like 80s movies this is my top 5 of all time. This movie is amazing and should not be forgotten. The story is about Ronald played by Patrick Dempsey who is a nerd and lives next door to Cindy the most popular girl in High School played by Amanda Peterson. Ronald mows lawns for a living and is saving his money for his science project. He finally has enough money to pay for his project but he decides to help out Cindy with dilemma. Cindy ruins her moms dress at a party and she needs a 1,000 dollars to buy a new dress so her mom doesn't ground her for life. Ronald decides to give up his money for the project if Cindy pretends to like him. The movie is amazing. Its very funny, great acting, and the chemistry works. This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I could watch it over and over again. If you like 80s movies check this movie out as well as Teen Witch, Some Kind Of Wonderful, Just One of the guys, and Big.

Love is not to be bought, but to be found.

Author: jaimelesfilms from not here
4 November 2004

Sometimes the most important thing eludes us and we don't recognize it. Not everyone has the opportunity to recognize, especially when one lives it, what is really important, what is in fact real; the truth of who we are and who others are. And to recognize that before the others and ourselves. Not everyone has that opportunity. Almost all of us fall in the lies and fictions of who we are, who the others are and the place of all of us in our world, but only few of us - lucky few - manage, in the end, but maybe still in time, to see the truth, the reality. And these ones, may consider themselves very happy.

All it takes is to understand that, and we can be who we want to: our own selves.

If you like '80s teen comedies, this one is not to be missed. I liked this movie and i just wanted to share these thoughts i had after seeing it. Patrick Dempsey is good in it, and Amanda Peterson is absolutely great, loved her. Wish i had met a girl like her when i was in high school. But then again, maybe i did...

7/10 overall, a good movie.

Surprisingly good and is much better then one might expect it to be.

Author: triple8 from Conn
1 December 2003

It kind of reminded me of revenge of the nerds. I liked this cute little movie about a geeky boy who pays the hottest highschool cheerleader at his school to pose as his girlfriend. This is a fun movie and one that works surprisingly well. One of the better teen comedies from the 80's. Myabe not as popular as some others but just as good and somehow does not come across as ridiculous as so many similar movies of this time period did. It's a definite must see for anyone who appreciates a movie like "Revenge of the nerds" and hasn't got to see this yet. I really enjoyed it. Obviously the movie's not an Oscar winner or to highly original but it works and as teen movies go, it is toward the top of the heap.

great 80's teen movie!

Author: from United States
13 April 2005

This is the best "wannabe popular" teen movie I've seen. Yes it's old, only a year after I was born, but it's still way cool to see the awful trends of the 80's :) It's about the typical "geek" wanting to be the "popluar" kid, who takes extreme measures to achieve his goal. It's not anything anyone hasn't seen before. Geek wants the girl, geek gets popular, geek drops his true friends, becomes a geek again, although the ending is really good! It's just so much fun to watch an 80's teen movie, there so great! It's also fun to see stars in earlier films. Who doesn't want to see Seth Green as a bratty younger brother? Good movie, watch it!

Good flyweight entertainment

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
4 June 2002

I've seen bundles of these teen comedies, and "Can't Buy Me Love" does contain every cliche in the book. But it was made in 1987. This was a little past the dawning of the high school movie, and the characters of the nerd, jock, cheerleader, etc. were just recently created. I don't know. Maybe this movie was even a huge cliche back in the eighties. But I'm still gonna give it the benefit of the doubt.

I catch this movie on TBS quite a lot of times, and I can't help but enjoy it. There are certain cliched scenes that just force me to roll my eyes and sigh, yet I can't change the channel. Well, there are two key elements that make this flyweight teen comedy work: Patrick Dempsey and Amanda Peterson. They both give charming performances, and have a wonderful chemistry. Even though you know exactly what will happen between them, it's still a delight to see them on screen. Dempsey hasn't had a big role in years, and you can technically classify him as a has-been, but he is a good, charismatic actor. And it would've been nice if his career actually took off. As for Peterson, I don't remember her from any other movies, so I have no knowledge of her career. All I know is she's good-looking and I liked her in this movie.

The story is as predictable as you can get, with paperthin characters, but as I said it's good flyweight entertainment. Strictly a guilty pleasure. If I were in the mood for a good--and by that I mean good in quality--high school movie I'd watch "Ghost World" or one of the "American Pie" movies. But if I just want to kick back and watch a cheesy high school movie that will put a smile on my face and contains no intellectual value, I'll watch "Can't Buy Me Love."

Of course, the movie has a "message" at the end about being yourself, and not caring what others think of you, but the message is delivered with the finesse of an after-school special and is strictly pasted on. When you have characters that are so stereotypical and implausible, it's hard to fit in a believable message. But what would a high school movie be without a schmaltzy third act?

That's why I recommend this movie, just as a guilty pleasure. It's far from great, yet undeniably appealing. But please do not bother to analyze this movie. You'll be wasting your time.

My score: 7 (out of 10)

One of my fave high school films

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
20 January 2000

A high school boy saves up 2000 dollars for a new telescope, but winds up spending it for a girlfriend. She was the most popular girl at school, and needed the money to replace her mother's jacket that she [the girl] had ruined. In return, the girl must date the boy for a month, making him suddenly popular, something he isn't used to at all. Of course, he is found out eventually, and all his new "friends" turn against him. A picture which is well worth seeing.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]