IMDb > Blind Date (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Blind Date

Blind Date More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Perhaps it was made in the wrong decade...

Author: Cel_Stacker from United States
15 March 2007

Blake Edwards once again turned to his bread-and-butter genre, and kept things nice and simple. However, for whatever reason, this downplayed treat was and is often panned by critics left and right. I submit to you that this is because most of us just don't get it.

I'll use the plot portent to tell you what this movie isn't, first of all. Despite appearances, it's not about up-and-coming, wannabe yuppie Walter Davis (Bruce Willis), not really about his blind date of the title with the beautiful and potentially deadly Nadia Gates (Kim Basinger), not about psychotic defense lawyer and jealous ex David Bedford's (John Laroquette) attempts to break the two up and steal back his first love, and not about the punches and rolls with which these people, along with their families and acquaintances, must deal.

It's just my theory, but I think most of us didn't get this movie because it was a humorous commentary on the time during which it was made. This movie is all about the '80s; the yuppie culture, the self-absorption, the repeated attempts of folks to find solace in getting and having things, and our near-tragic couple's struggle to be who they are, even if it doesn't fit with '80s yuppie culture, and embrace what's important. Consider it--during her drunken binge, Nadia assaults everything that could make Walter a yuppie as if it were a well-organized plan. Walter, in turn, tries his hand at the same thing, mostly upon David and car salesman brother Ted (late, great Phil Hartman). Sure the details give a chuckle or two, but there's an almost cerebral humor going on under the surface of the film, right at the core, which pokes fun at a cornerstone of life in the '80s.

This led to the movie's downfall in favor, since the very people at which the movie so heavily pokes fun were probably among the first ones to see it premiere in the '80s. Even if they got it, they probably didn't appreciate the joke. Essemtially, Edwards had spoofed the '80s DURING the '80s. A gutsy move, and witting or unwitting, this gave it a kind of staying power. It really is about more than you think.

So, if you're one of the lonely soldiers who likes the movie, try to view it in this context and see what you think of it. If you hated it, please try to observe this point of view, and again, see what you think. Blind Date is one of the most different comedies to emerge from this decade. No matter where you sit on the quality issue, perhaps it deserves a second look.

One of those movies that makes you laugh

Author: Pat McCurry (acehighpat@aol.com) from Wilton, NH
8 December 2004

I love this film. This was Bruce Willis' first box office film in a leading role. It's a nice little film that has its funny moments. Blind Date is not Citizen Kane, but it's sure a good film to watch on a day off. When Kim Basinger gets drunk, that's where the funny moments start. She goes from being a sweet southern belle to the date from hell. She embarrasses him at a business dinner, goes ga-ga at a club, gets his car lifted, and drives him to the point of insanity. Meanwhile, ex-boyfriend Larroquette is stalking them around the town driving them nuts. His character isn't given much depth, but he works with it. All in all, it's a funny, innocent film that will make you laugh.

I never understood why this film was criticised so much

Author: gtbarker
26 November 2005

I saw this film when it first came out and I laughed out loud at quite a few scenes and thoroughly enjoyed it. Both Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger are excellent and there was obvious comic chemistry between them. There also plenty of great lines and performances from the supporting cast too, especially from John Larroquette (Basinger's psychotically obsessed erstwhile boyfriend). It was a complete mystery to me why it was so panned on release, but reading some of the comments here I am glad to see that this minor gem is finally getting the recognition it deserves. All I'll add is: dobermans, golf balls, moonwalking and an abject lesson in why you should never get your new girlfriend drunk.

Bruce and Kim make a couple to remember

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
21 March 2005

Bruce Willis plays a workaholic Walter Davis, whose brother Ted (Phil Hartman) sets him up with this gorgeous woman Nadia Gates (Kim Basinger).There's one thing about Nadia you should know, though.If she has even a little bit of alcohol, she loses control and becomes wild. The legendary director Blake Edwards directed Blind Date in 1987.It has a brilliant cast.Bruce and Kim shine together at the time they were both oh so young.Bruce turned 50 on Saturday and you could say he now has the legend value.In this movie he takes the lead for the first time. The next year, in 1988, he had an action classic called Die Hard coming. Next year there should be coming Die Hard 4.0, so can't wait to see that.Other actors do a great job too.There are John Larroquette as David Bedford, Nadia's ex, who's doing an excellent job and William Daniels, who's known as the voice of KITT in Knight Rider and George Feeny in Boy Meets World is marvelous.Phil Hartman, who is sadly gone now after his wife shot him in 1998, is wonderful.There certainly is a cast to remember.I remember the first time I saw this movie back in 1994.I was the biggest Bruce Willis fan at the time and I enjoyed this movie very much.These days it doesn't work quite as good, but it's still pretty enjoyable flick.It offers some great comedic moments that bring a grin on your face.

Blake Edwards at his best!

Author: Alexandra Slate (alexandraslate@hotmail.com) from Virginia, U.S.
19 October 2002

I've always loved Blake Edwards films and although this may not have been regarded as his best work, I feel it was highly underrated. Though thoroughly implausible in many ways, I have to say that this movie made me laugh harder than any movie I've ever seen. My sides literally hurt after watching it. Although I've only seen it a few times since it came out because none of the networks other than FX ever show it. Why I don't know because it's really great!!

The main reason I'd have to say was John Laroquette as Nadia's psychotic ex-boyfriend. I was cracking up in every single scene he was in with his standard line (I'll kill you). His physical comedy is totally brilliant. I don't know why he didn't end up with a film career of his own. But my favorite scene has to be at the end when Nadia sees David hanging from the balcony of the house and squeals as they both dive into the pool and meet at the bottom in a kiss as they come up for air, with David yelling; "Nadia, get your mouth off of him"!!

The movie is flawed in places though. What are the odds that a house moving company would be moving a house at the exact moment that Nadia decides to knock on the door. And it is never explained why Walter is facing 2 years in prison for his night on the town, yet David completely escapes any legal obligations for plowing his car into 3 seperate businesses.

Kim Basinger and Bruce Willis were great as well. Though I didn't understand why they dyed her gorgeous blonde hair brown. Maybe because her image was supposed to be that of a sweet girl looking for love and Edwards thought she'd look too much the vamp and would lack credibility without the dye job. It's also a good chance to see the late Phil Hartman early in his career. I also loved the love song played at the end by Gary Morris and Jennifer Warnes.

All in all, a fun ride from beginning to end. If you haven't seen it yet, go out and rent it now. You won't be disapointed, it's a 10+++!

Good Fun

Author: TVGirl from California
21 December 1998

One of my favorite 80's comedies. Many very funny and memorable scenes. It's a fun, light-hearted film about a blind date gone awry. Of course, everything that can happen DOES happen on this particular date, and many laughs are the result. The best scene is when Walter and Nadia go to a restaurant after Nadia has had too much to drink. Apparently, she has some sort of chemical imbalance to liquor, and things go haywire in front of Walter's business associates.

Likable farce with Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger

Author: Wuchak from Ohio/PA border
14 December 2015

Released in 1987, "Blind Date" stars Bruce Willis as a workaholic who is forced to get a blind date (Kim Basinger) for an important company dinner meeting. Everything goes awry when she has too much to drink. John Larroquette co-stars as the girl's crazy ex and Stephanie Faracy has a small role.

This is a likable farce with quite a few laughs, but not enough to give it a higher rating. Being shot in 1986, everything about it screams mid-80s – the big hair, hideous mullets and music with electronic drums. Plus it's cool seeing Willis when he was young and with a full head of hair. On the negative side, even farces have to stay somewhere within the bounds of plausibility, but "Blind Date" sometimes goes over-the-top goofy, like at the midpoint when the house moves away while hooligans run wild in the neighborhood. Nevertheless, this is worthwhile for some laughs, particularly if you like the cast.

The film runs 95 minutes and was shot in the Los Angeles area.

GRADE: B- or C+ (5.5/10)

Inconsistent and weak

Author: gcd70 from Melbourne, Australia
18 January 2008

Blake Edwards, one of the masters of slapstick, once again seems to indicate that he has had his day with this inconsistent, weak story about a corporate exec. who goes on a blind date from hell with an uncontrollable but gorgeous young woman. You see Nadia is fine until she gets a hold of any form of alcohol, and needless to say, Walter Davis (Bruce Willis) allows this to happen despite all the warnings. Absolute pandemonium immediately breaks out, but sadly absolute hilarity does not.

Most of the humour based around this premise doesn't work because it's too predictable, over the top and because the two lead characters are so frustratingly stupid. In fact the funniest scenes belong to John Laroquette as an obsessive lawyer and William Daniels as his county court judge father who would like nothing better than to see his son practising law in an entirely different state, or even country. The two play off each other well and create some truly comic moments.

Screenwriter Dale Launer's idea was good and it's unfortunate that it turned out to be a one joke film, with a reasonable sub-plot that probably saved the whole thing from oblivion. Funny man Bruce Willis is okay, but stick to the "Moonlighting" series for his best. Kim Basinger may be a looker, but she's not much more, while for Blake Edwards fans its back to the "Pink Panther" series and Peter Sellers.

Friday, August 26, 1994 - Video

A Pretty Enjoyable Comedy

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
7 December 2014

"Walter Davis" (Bruce Willis) is a dedicated, hard-working employee for a company that is pulling out all the stops to impress a possible new client. As a result he desperately needs a new date for the office dinner party. As luck would have it his brother "Ted Davis" (Phil Hartman) just happens to know of someone named "Nadia Gates" (Kim Basinger) who recently arrived in Los Angeles and so Walter takes a chance and calls her on the phone. When he gets to her apartment he is surprised at how attractive she is and wanting to loosen her up a bit he gives her some champagne even though his brother warned him not to give her any alcohol. Big mistake. Anyway, rather than reveal any more of this movie and risk spoiling it for those who haven't seen it I will just say that this was a pretty enjoyable comedy for the most. Admittedly there were some slow scenes here and there but after the first 15 minutes or so it really got going. I especially liked Kim Basinger who performed quite well and looked absolutely gorgeous. Be that as it may I rate this movie as above average.

A proper comedy from the eighties

Author: Andrei Pavlov from Archangel, Russia
12 April 2006

This movie is an easy-going one. Light atmosphere, nice gags, good and not-so-good joking all the way, young Kim and Bruce, and fine urban/suburban scenery. It's kind of a very warm family movie that can suit nearly every evening when there is nothing to do (though some humour is rather adult). My opinion is that they could not handle the script better than this.

Don't know how about others, but to me this movie is very neat and quite funny. Though they shouldn't have called the dog "Rambo", while "First Blood" is one of my absolute favourites. How dare they! Solid 7 out of 10. Thanks for attention.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]