IMDb > Beverly Hills Cop II (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beverly Hills Cop II

Beverly Hills Cop II More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

There's a new cop in town...again

Author: Curtis Jones (ChokeslamLLC) from Columbia, SC
20 January 2003

Beverly Hills Cop 2 continues the antics of that famous detective from Detroit. This time Axel Foley deals with an evil woman and her accomplices who commit "Alphabet Crimes". Once again, Eddie Murphy gives yet another crazy performance. He does those funny characters again. The action and comedy doesn't disappoint. This is yet another thrill ride. ****stars. (Paramount)

Better than its reputation

Author: Christopher Smith from Virginia
7 February 2016

Beverly Hills Cop is my favorite comedy of all time, and its reputation as a classic of 1980s cinema is well earned. Its two sequels, however, are not held in as in high regard. The two follow-ups are often lumped together as lackluster efforts, which isn't fair since while Beverly Hills Cop II isn't a comedic masterpiece like the first one, it's the definitely the much stronger sequel. Having just watched the film for the first time in years, I found it to be a whole lot better than I remember. In fact, I'd say it's a quite an underrated sequel.

The best decision made by director Tony Scott and the creative team behind Beverly Hills Cop II was to bring back almost all the actors from the first movie. Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, Ronny Cox, Gilbert Hill, and Paul Reiser are just as great here as they were in the original. Unlike with most sequels, nobody on screen appears to be phoning in a performance for a paycheck. The main trio of Murphy, Reinhold, and Ashton are together for a good 80% of the film, and are absolutely perfect together. The three actors share amazing chemistry as a group, making every scene with them a blast to watch. The fact that their friendship feels real is what elevates Beverly Hills Cop II from ever feeling like just an unnecessary sequel.

Beverly Hills Cop II has some of the same story beats as Beverly Hills Cop, but it never comes across as a lazy retread. The best parts of Beverly Hills Cop II are the noticeable differences from the first film. Rather than having to solve the murder of a friend, Axel must discover who shot Bogomil (Cox). Tony Scott gets a bit of suspense out of whether Bogomil will live or die, and there's a few surprisingly touching scenes between Axel and Bogomil's daughter. These scenes could have felt out of place in what is mostly a comedy, but they work quite well. What really separates Beverly Hills Cop II from the first one, as well as from most action movies in general, is that the main villain is a very intimidating woman, Karla Fry (Bridgitte Nielsen). There has been some criticism that the treatment of her character is misogynistic, though I've never seen much to support that argument. She may not be the most three-dimensional character every written, but the fact that we don't learn all that much about her makes her even more menacing. One of the best aspects to the story is that there is a hierarchy of villains. In addition to Karla, there's also the memorable Maxwell Dent (Jurgen Prochnow). The scene where Foley, Rosewood, and Taggart track down Max at the Playboy Mansion is the film's highlight, and one of the funniest scenes in any movie ever. Almost every single line in the scene is hilarious, Chris Rock gets a cool little cameo, and the scene somehow manages to be feel completely relevant to the plot.

However, the Playboy Mansion scene also draws attention to the one major flaw of Beverly Hills Cop II that keeps it from being a truly great movie: the noticeably rough editing. Martin Brest has been quoted as saying that Beverly Hills Cop was saved in the editing room, and that he was amazed at how well everything cut together. Beverly Hills Cop II should have been looked at more closely in the editing room, because it is far from seamless. Several scenes seem to end randomly without any much sense of transition or rhythm. In some instances, the editing is just downright awkward. The best example of this is in the Playboy Mansion scene. Once Foley, Rosewood, and Taggart have left the mansion and the narrative of the scene is effectively over, the camera lingers on a random party-goer dancing enthusiastically to some music. The guy's dance moves are mildly amusing, but there is no real reason for the shot to be in the movie, and it feels extremely disconnected from the rest of the scene. Beverly Hills Cop II is filled with moments in which scenes don't cut at a logical endpoint. There are three credited editors, no doubt the result of a rushed post-production schedule to get the movie out by a certain release date. None of the bad editing kills my overall enjoyment of the film, though it's impossible not to be distracted by its shoddiness at times.

With the exception of the poor editing, it's clear there was actually effort and care put into Beverly Hills Cop II, something that can't be said for sequels made in today's era. Just like with the original Beverly Hills Cop, this sequel has tremendous replay value. Though it might not be as well put together as its predecessor, Beverly Hills Cop II still works way, way better than 95% of sequels to classic comedies. 8/10

My review of my all time favorite fun action flick Beverly Hills Cop II

Author: ivo-cobra8 from Slovenia
4 October 2015

Beverly Hills Cop II is definitely my all time favorite Action comedy flick. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) will always be the best and my all time favorite film that I love to death. That is why I just love the sequel much more and I have always enjoyed this film much better than the original film I did. Here Axel Foley,Billy Rosewood and John Taggart works as a team than they did in the first film. This time Axel Foley returns to Beverly Hills to help Taggart and Rosewood investigate Chief Bogomil's near-fatal shooting and the series of strange robberies "alphabet crimes" associated with it. Axel Foley comes back which he reunites with Detective Billy Rosewood and Detective Sergeant John Taggart.

I love the Action sequences they are all great , humor , suspense , tongue in cheek, shoot'em up and is developed in agility and movement and for that reason is amusing. They are all great, there isn't any cgi in it. Whole cast did a great job. It is my all time favorite sequel to the first film. I seriously I love this film to death and I always have enjoyed so much. I still don't get it why all the hate for this film? The third film was really the worst in the series but I still like it and I will still watch it.

Eddie Murphy did a great job as a Detroit detective Axel Foley, he did acted very well. Yes he was shouting one everyone I saw that, but there are things in the film that people didn't noticed. After his friend Captain Andrew Bogomil was shot he didn't hesitate to come to Beverly Hills and helping him out. He cared more about his friend than anyone else did. He hustle Maxwell Dent accountant Sidney Bernstein for $200 but, he later donated the money for Beverly Hills homeless people. He could spend the money but he donated. After he took Billy's vitamins and he bluff out the secretary in Beverly Hills Gun Club for money and he throw the vitamins away. he gave the money back to Billy for the vitamins he throw away! I thought that was very nice. Judge Reinhold as Detective Billy Rosewood did a wonderful job and a support in the main cast along side Axel Foley. He was crazy with guns which I love it. We see poster from Stallone's Cobra and Rambo: First Blood Part II in Billy's apartment. I love how he was driving the car and caring so much guns with him. He had a turtle in his apartment awesome. John Ashton as Detective Sergeant John Taggart did a pretty good job as detective helping and solving a Alphabet crime he was awesome. Brigitte Nielsen as Karla Fry did a wonderful job as villainies and it was one of her best roles I have ever seen. Jürgen Prochnow as Maxwell Dent was fantastic villain much better than Steven Berkoff and Jonathan Banks in the first movie did. Dean Stockwell as Charles "Chip" Cain did a fantastic job as Dent henchman. Allen Garfield as Chief Harold Lutz was fantastic he was so load and funny I was keep laughing at his performance. The Last and at least the best small role that had was Ronny Cox I seriously I love him in this film. He doesn't do much but his still a good as Andrew Bogomil we finally found out that he has a daughter Jan and she is very beautiful. There are other faces in this film like are Hugh Hefner who plays himself, Chris Rock has a small cameo in it.Gilbert Hill as Inspector G. Douglas Todd and Paul Reiser as Detective Jeffrey Friedman also return from the first film and they also do have a few scenes in the film.In the original movie they were only in the beginning of the film than they were cut off from the rest of the film. I seriously think Tony Scott did a wonderful job filming this decent awesome Action Comedy flick.

Beverly Hills Cop II is a 1987 action comedy film starring Eddie Murphy and directed by Tony Scott. It is the sequel to the 1984 film Beverly Hills Cop and the second installment in the Beverly Hills Cop series.Although it made less money than the original Beverly Hills Cop and received mixed reviews from critics, the film was still a box office success, making $153,665,036 domestically.

I love this film to death!!! I love this film to death! it will always stay in my heart! I love the shooting, action, car chases, playboy girls everything in this film. I love Eddie Murphy! I also love the main theme for Axel Foley from Harold Faltermeyer and songs a Better Way" - James Ingram,Shakedown" - Bob Seger and Hold On" by Corey Hart.

10/10 Grade: A+ Studio: Paramount Pictures, Eddie Murphy Productions Starring: Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, Ronny Cox, Chris Rock, John Ashton, Hugh Hefner Director: Tony Scott Producers: Don Simpson, Jerry Bruckheimer Screenplay: Larry Ferguson, Warren Skaaren Story: Eddie Murphy, Robert D. Wachs Rated: R Running Time: 1 Hr. 40 Mins. Budget: $20 Million Box Office: $299,965,036

Axel Foley is back

Author: SnoopyStyle
20 July 2014

There is a gang of robbers led by Karla Fry (Brigitte Nielsen) on the loose in Beverly Hills leaving notes. Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) went to the FBI for help in investigating the Alphabet crimes. Bogamil gets suspended while Rosewood and Taggart (John Ashton) gets downgraded to traffic by Chief Harold Lutz (Allen Garfield). Then Fry ambushes Bogamil and leaves him near death. Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) comes out to Beverly Hills to solve the Alphabet case and find who shot Bogamil. Taggart is reluctant but the guys help Foley to investigate. It leads to Karla Fry, Charles Cain (Dean Stockwell) and Maxwell Dent (Jürgen Prochnow).

Axel Foley is back. That's all that's really needed to be said here. Eddie Murphy is loud and he's irreverent. The second one is more flashy and the Hollywood action is slicker but essentially it's the same movie. The flashier style is probably due to director Tony Scott. While some people may not like the weird Brigitte Nielsen, the first one had the weird Serge. It's a joke-a-minute action machine. Also I didn't realize that Chris Rock was in this one with a small role. It's nice to see.

Both Axel Foley and Eddie Murphy deserve more than Beverly Hills Cop II can offer them

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
26 June 2014

If there were ever a sequel to almost, almost succeed entirely on the charisma and charm of its lead actor, it would be Beverly Hills Cop II, the sequel to the unexpected action-comedy surprise of 1984 that skyrocketed at the box office and made actor Eddie Murphy a high-profile name. It also helped kickstart the career of Martin Brest, a highly underrated director who went on to do films like Meet Joe Black and Midnight Run. The film helped the careers of several involved, and the main problem with the sequel is that it operates as if its predecessor never existed in the strangest possible way.

Before elaborating on that, Murphy reprises his role as Detroit police detective Axel Foley, who teams up once again with Beverly Hills detectives Billy Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) and John Taggart (John Ashton) to stop a gun-smuggling gang after the department's captain is shot and seriously wounded. Of course, when working with Axel, it's never a dull day, as Axel uses his wiseguy attitude, motormouth tendencies, and exaggerated emotions to further himself in the Beverly Hills life, which he learned in the last film, is much different than the kind of "street operations" that are conducted in Detroit.

The issue at hand here is that Beverly Hills Cop II, despite undergoing a change in writers and a change in director, simply feels like it's trying to replicate success rather than trying something different with the formula. Even with the visual artist and the dazzling-effects manager of Tony Scott in the director's chair, providing Beverly Hills Cop II with a distinct look and hue in the visual department, the film never feels like it wants to take any chances or provide us with some daring, more elaborate instances that would make it standout rather than seem almost like a remake of its predecessor.

The person to thank for not making this feature as glaringly obtrusive as it could've been is definitely Eddie Murphy, who simply doesn't change and doesn't need to. Murphy has such a zippy and energetic comedic flow and talent that his abilities translate beautifully to a sequel, as he winds up giving probably one of the strongest comedic performances in comedy history in the last two films. Murphy's hilarity is only heightened when Larry Ferguson (writer for The Hunt for Red October) and Warren Skaaren (writer for the original Batman and Beetlejuice) create a scene that he can steal without almost any effort, commanding the entire set with his trademarks and his energy. With those scenes, Murphy becomes an unmatchable force of comedic wit.

It's a shame the film surrounding Murphy isn't as good as Murphy himself. Outside of its core performance and immersing visual style, Beverly Hills Cop II lays dormant as it is overtaken by a cookie-cutter, forgettable plot and a setup that feels too close to the original to succeed just as well as it did the first time around. Axel Foley is a memorable comic character and Murphy is an amazing comic spirit; both persons deserve more than Beverly Hills Cop II can offer them in a grander term.

Starring: Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, and Ronny Cox. Directed by: Tony Scott.

A Terrific,Hilarious,Action-Packed Sequel. Eddie Murphy And Tony Scott At Their Best.

Author: jcbutthead86 from United States
10 June 2014

Beverly Hills Cop II is a terrific,hilarious,Action-packed sequel that is filled with great direction,an great performance from Eddie Murphy and a wonderful cast,wonderful laughs,thrilling Action and a memorable score and soundtrack. And while Beverly Hills Cop II isn't a good as the original,it's an entertaining and worthy follow up.

Beverly Hills Cop II once again finds wisecracking Detroit Cop Axel Foley(Eddie Murphy)back in Beverly Hills when his friend Andrew Bogomil(Ronny Cox)has been gunned down by an Alphabet bandit,a person who's been stealing money and jewelry. Back in Beverly Hills,Axel teams up once again with his buddies Billy Rosewood(Judge Reinhold)and John Taggart(John Ashton)to solve the case with more laughs and Action.

After the huge and popular Box Office success of the classic Beverly Hills Cop in 1984,it seemed inevitable that a sequel was going to be made and three years later came the release of Beverly Hills Cop II,a fun and entertaining sequel that got mixed reviews from critics at the time and has divided Beverly Hills Cop fans for years where some people like it and others don't but the sequel was such a huge Box Office hit for Eddie Murphy making 153 million dollars and was one of the biggest hits of 1987 and is a sequel that mixes great laughs with explosive Action giving viewers a fun time for 102 minutes. What I like about Beverly Hills Cop II is that the movie basically takes what worked in the first film and rolls with it here giving viewers a movie that maybe just like the original but also giving viewers a good time that never slows down. Like the first Beverly Hills Cop this movie has a nice balance of Comedy and Action. The Comedy and laughs in BHC2 are funny,hilarious and will have you roaring with laughter whether it's scenes with Axel Foley with his wisecracks and Hijinks or the great scenes with Axel,Rosewood and Taggart working together and while the Comedic scenes are not as funny or iconic as the original they are still memorable and done with the same fun tone of the first one. If there is one thing that is bigger in this film it's the amazing and thrilling Action scenes and the Action in BHC2 is loud and intense and done in a fiery and fast pace style that was a trademark of director Tony Scott. One of the main criticisms on BHC2 is that the film focused more on Action than Comedy and I can say yes and no to that. Yes because the style of BHC2 is more like an Action movie with gunfights,explosions and chase sequences that were like the other Action movies of the 1980s and no because in certain scenes there is a mixture of intense Action and laughs to make sure that the movie isn't too serious. Of all of the BHC films the second film is probably the most stylish and visually stunning film in the series and that is thanks to not only Tony Scott's direction but also Jeffrey L. Kimball's photography because the city of Beverly Hills and even in Detroit there use of the different colors whether it's orange or blue either in the daytime or at night. The look of BHC2 captures the late 1980s very well. The character Axel Foley is hilarious in this on once again because like in the original Axel uses his smarts,wisecracks and wits to get what he wants and making fools out of any stranger whether he's pretending to be somebody else or stealing a house(you'll see). While Axel is still a Detroit Cop and a fish out of water,when he's in Beverly Hills the town is his playground and he's having fun with laughs and a smile the only way Axel Foley does. The ending of Beverly Hills Cop is great,memorable and is filled with laughs and Action that will satisfy viewers and leave them with a smile. A fantastic ending.

The cast is wonderful. Eddie Murphy is excellent and hilarious once again as Axel Foley,with Murphy being funny and charismatic. Judge Reinhold and John Ashton are terrific and funny once again as Billy Rosewood and John Taggart,Axel's friends and Beverly Hills Cops. Jurgen Prochnow is wonderful as villain Maxwell Dent,the man planning the Alphabet jobs. Ronny Cox is great once again as Andrew Bogomil,Billy and Taggart Captain. Bridget Nielsen is sexy and memorable as Karla,Dent's girlfriend. Allen Garfield is fantastic as Chief Lutz,a verbally abusive Police chief. Dean Stockwell is outstanding as Chip Cain,Maxwell's right hand man. Paul Reiser and Gill Hill are hilarious once again as Jeffrey Friedman and Inspector Todd,Detroit Cops. Robert Ridgely(Mayor Egan),Gilbert Gottfried(Sidney Bernstein),Tom Bower(Russ Fielding),Paul Guilfoyle(Nikos Thomopolis),Frank J. Pesce(Carlotta),Robert Pastorelli(Vinnie),Alice Adair(Jan Bogomil)and Brian O'Conner(Biddle)give good performances as well. Also,lookout for cameos by Hugh Hefner(Himself)and Chris Rock(Parking Vallet).

The direction by Tony Scott is amazing and stylish,with Scott bringing a beautiful and stunning look to the film with good angles and camera movements. Great direction,Scott.

The score by Harold Faltermeyer is outstanding and memorable once again and matches the film's tone. The soundtrack also includes songs by Bob Seger(Shakedown),George Michael(I Want Your Sex),James Ingram(Better Way),The Pointer Sisters(Be There),Keta Bell and Corey Hart(Hold On)and more. Terrific soundtrack.

In final word,if you love Eddie Murphy,Tony Scott,Action-Comedies or the first Beverly Hills Cop,I highly suggest you see Beverly Hills Cop 2,a terrific and hilarious Action-packed sequel that is a worthy follow-up to the the original. Highly Recommended. 9.5/10.

F*** Rambo.......

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
20 March 2014

The original was one of the biggest films of 1984, and Simpson and Bruckheimer had a massive hit the year before with Scott's Top Gun, so this was fool proof, and only an idiot wouldn't green light the sequel, so it's more of the same, but bigger in every sense, but it's lost a little bit of the first films soul.

Ronny Cox only comes back for a cameo, so he gets shot at the beginning, and this prompts Foley to return to Beverly Hills. He re-teams with Taggart and Rosewood, who isn't as timid as he was in the first film, and has a penchant for weapons, because this would make his character funnier, right?

Obviously there is a sub plot involving gun running, Jurgen Prochnow, Bridgitte Nielsen and alphabets, so it's down to Foley to wisecrack his way to solving the crimes.

This film could have just been Murphy running along the beach, swearing every few minutes and laughing, and it still would have been a huge hit, because every once in a while, the planets align, and Hollywood could make a critic and crowd proof movie.

This was in instance of that. Scott was huge, he made Cruise a star. Simpson and Bruckhiemer did the same, Murphy was the biggest thing in Hollywood, and the original was massive.

Nothing could go wrong.

It's not brilliant by any means, in fact, sometimes the film seems downright lazy, more or less copying set pieces from the original, like the final act and the set piece where Foley pretends to be someone else in order to gain access to somewhere.

But its flashy, sometimes funny, and it's always sunny in Beverly Hills, and you cannot help but love the infectious laugh.

You realise after an hour just how bland it is compared to the original, but you'll enjoy it never the less.

Great Beverly Hills Cop sequel!

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
27 January 2014

The first sequel to what I think is one of the best action comedies from Hollywood. Eddie Murphy returns as Detroit cop Axel Foley, who goes to Beverly Hills to investigate who gunned down Lt. Andrew Bogomil (Ronny Cox). He reunites with Detective Billy Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) and Det. Sgt. John Taggert (John Ashton) to catch the perpetrator, and to nab those behind of string of robberies plaguing the city, while also dealing with the department's new, arrogant and obnoxious Chief Lutz (Allen Garfield).

Like the first film, this sequel has a no-nonsense and compelling story with exciting action sequences that make this movie a definite must-see for action movie fans. In addition, humor is in abundance, especially when in scenes where Murphy, Reinhold and Ashton are together. I like the fact that their on-screen chemistry and them working together are emphasized more in this film.

Murphy's quick wit and action, Reinhold's cool and observant demeanor and Ashton's serious and commanding character gave us another one of the best movie trios ever assembled. The villains were also noteworthy: the sly, calm, yet cold Maxwell Dent (Jürgen Prochnow) and the tall, beautiful, Femme Fatale Karla Fry (Brigitte Nielsen) were entertaining to watch on screen.

Aside from a few minor issues I had with the film like the lesser action and the overzealous party goers at the Playboy Mansion scene, this is an enjoyable movie and is one of my favorite movie sequels.

Grade A

Foley's methods of entering premises by trickery I find particularly interesting...

Author: robinwhitlock1966 from United Kingdom
3 August 2013

One of the most interesting things I've noticed about both Beverley Hills Cop and Beverley Hills Cop 2 is the methods Foley uses to enter premises and engineer situations to his advantage. In the first movie, mostly these consist of bluff, for example the scene where he pretends to be an out-of-town reporter for Rolling Stone Magazine in order to rent a room at the Beverley Palms Hotel and later on his depiction of himself as Maitland's gay lover with an unfortunate affliction of herpes simplex 10. However, in the second movie, the comedy in many circumstances hangs on the presumption that there are actually a lot of stupid people in society. This is illustrated clearly in the scene where he poses as a Beverley Hills Building Inspector and convinces the foreman of a team of builders working on a house that the plans have changed and there shouldn't be any right angles on the building. This trick is replicated in a subsequent scene where he successfully convinces a receptionist at the Beverley Hills Gun Club that there actually is such things as explosive bullets that are sensitive to sound and can potentially go off at the slightest whisper. In essence, Foley performs a multitude of different sketches within each movie, adopting different characters as he goes along, each character having his own unique 'story' and/or 'bio'. There is the Rolling Stone reporter, the security official who bluffs his way into Maitland's warehouse, (BHC 1) the Metalux explosive research company courier who delivers the sound-sensitive ammunition, 'Johnny Wishbone' the psychic from the Isle of Saint Croix (BHC2), and so on. It is this ability to constantly change character that gives both movies such a unique and colourful slant.

eddie judge and john

Author: kai ringler from United States
25 December 2012

first off i thought that this was one of the better sequels that were made,, not just in the 80's but of all time, because today most sequels really suck bad. Eddie Murphy does his usual great job of slapstick comedy in this one,, Judge Reinhold is awesome and so is John Ashton. i like the storyline in this one,, this one seems more violent than the first which is good,, it's not as good as the first but hey most aren't these days.. there's lots of car chases shoot em up's and yes stallone's wife Bridjette Neilsen,, very nice,, i wish that they would have stopped after the second one because to me the third one was just total gargbage. granted this one doesn't have the originality of the first one but has equally as many laughs as the first one.

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]