IMDb > Beverly Hills Cop II (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Bad "Cop"....

Author: Mister-6 from United States
30 April 2000

A fall from greatness is a sad thing to witness, and none is sadder than the fall witnessed in "Beverly Hills Cop II".

Eddie Murphy is back as Axel Foley and you can have him. He's back in Beverly Hills to find the truth behind the shooting of Capt. Bogomil (Ronny Cox). This consists of him insulting and belittling nearly every single person who comes across his field of vision in a loud, shrill and usually un-funny way. Even Dets. Taggart (Ashton) and Rosewood (Reinhold) don't get away unscathed, even as they work with Axel once more.

Of course, the biggest joke in this movie is Eddie himself; he is so full of himself here and believes, even when he is being a jerk, he's in the right. It's amazing: in this single film alone, he takes bland pot shots at blue collar workers, receptionists, tall blonde women (Nielsen), German-accented bad guys (Prochnow), overbearing cops (Garfield, Hill, Reiser) weaselly little front men (Stockwell, looking suspiciously like his Dr. Yueh character from 1984's "Dune"), Gerald Ford and Hugh Hefner! Things are made worse when you realize that NO ONE could ever get away with the things Murphy does here. Only in his little world he has created for himself.

Nobody does themselves any favors by appearing in this movie. And the cameos by people with talent (Reiser, Chris Rock, Gilbert Gottfried) are so short that you expect Murphy felt himself being up-staged and cut them himself. Hey, it could happen.

And there is SO much misogyny running through this flick that you expect Gloria Steinem could use this whole film as an indictment against Hollywood in general. And WIN.

What a waste. The only good scene is the obviously improvised scene where Murphy introduces himself as Johnny Wishbone from the Island of St. Croix. And that's about it. Not much for action fans here, either.

Two stars. One for the good will left over from the original and the fact that Sylvester Stallone, original choice for Axel Foley, didn't take this role. Just imagine what HE would have done to "Beverly Hills Cop II".

Of course, you could always watch "Cobra"....

Disappointing Sequel

Author: orangerunner from Canada
6 July 2005

I remember waiting in line on May 25, 1987 , opening day, when I was 14 years old eagerly anticipating this movie.

Five minutes into the movie my heart sank. This movie was the ultimate glossy, high-powered empty "comedy/action" film. Even at age 14, I could tell this one stunk. Here were some of the reasons I felt this way.

1. Eddie Murphy is bitter and angry throughout the movie. There is no joy in this performance. He's constantly yelling and screaming at everybody.

Think back to the first movie when he pretended to be gay in order to get into the hotel buffet. He used his wit and intelligence to get himself through the gate. In BVC II he yells and insults everyone who dares to get in his way.

2. When did Axl become fishing buddies with Ronny Cox? 3. The character Billy Rosewood becomes a gun nut for no real reason other than the writers thought it would be a funny direction to take the character.

This movie could have generated a simple laugh by having Axl still driving around in his old blue Chevy Nova. But no, he's only shown driving a Ferrari and BMW(?)convertible.

One of the best film openings of all-time

Author: asc85 from Mercer County, NJ
21 May 2017

Yes, I know that sounds a bit hyperbole, but the opening jewel robbery, seguing directly into Eddie Murphy dressing for work with Bob Seger's "Shakedown" in the background is one of the best film openings I have ever seen.

Unfortunately, the rest of the movie is just average, and is nowhere near as good as the original. If you don't want to sit though the whole movie, at least try to catch the opening few minutes on YouTube, if you can.

Eddie Murphy, back when he was funny

Plot/script: 6/10

Photography/visual style: 6/10

Music/score: 6/10

Overall: 6/10

It's easy to forget these days, but there was a time when Eddie Murphy was widely acknowledged as one of the funniest men alive. Beverly Hills Cop II is around the zenith of his power, and also that of director Tony Scott.

Scott was just coming off Top Gun which, like it or not, is one of the most commercially successful films of all time, and thus incredibly influential. With these films, he practically set the template for 80s Hollywood: big, brash action scenes interspersed with big, brash... everything else.

It suits Eddie Murphy perfectly, given that his stage persona is all about being the coolest, biggest personality in the room. Although it presents as a 'fish out of water' story, BHC2 is actually more like the tale of a virus entering a new population that has no immunity to it. Nobody can defend against the motor mouth of Axel, Murphy's character. I sometimes wished someone did in fact, just once, so that he could get out of the situation some other way, but he talked his way out of or into everything perfectly, without fail.

It's an enjoyable romp, with a central trio whose friendship I believed in. Scott's fingerprint is visible in the thrilling car chase sequences and (literally) explosive shoot-outs. There's not much depth to it, but you can get that elsewhere, like in the work of Tony Scott's older brother Ridley. Tony (now sadly deceased) did stylish action thrillers, and he did them damn well.

Eddie Murphy, back when he was funny

Plot/script: 6/10

Photography/visual style: 6/10

Music/score: 6/10

Overall: 6/10

Horribly sexist, rushed, and not necessary.

Author: mariondowning-427-469344 from America
9 January 2015

All the old token bits shoved in about tits and so on (it seems men must be a bit gay when a group of them sit around getting hard ons in a bar watching women stripping). Here we even have "sexy" blonde bimbos going with a guy just because he has a red sports car and giggling like Marilyn Monroe while giving him the sexy eye constantly.

And random shots of girls dancing topless on poles(looking like they'd rather be elsewhere). Here Eddie even called one woman "bitch" while talking to other males about her (not the "bitch" that implies she was horrible, just "bitch" as in a name some men call the objects that are women (in the last movie they were chicks and other things). The pole stripper looked angry too like Eddie's character seems to be through this whole movie but men wouldn't notice since they were looking elsewhere (maybe Eddie didn't want to be there either which would explain his acting through this movie). And just for no reason we have the Playboy mansion involved.

The rapid scene changes that cut out or abruptly ended dialog got boring too. There is one "memorable" scene where Eddie's character makes a bet that a cash exchange will be the next place robbed (after someone else told him about the place and they had a computer with the location on it - duh) and then he didn't even finish the sentence and it was cut to the next scene. Seems they just added bits where Eddie's character would be the one man hero of the piece guessing where crimes would happen next etc and then rushed to show us he was right. Or maybe they just edited bits because with all the tit conversations they went overtime and had to get rid of some parts.

All the people shooting in this movie are so bad - the hit man who shoots at the ground as Axel runs away and the police who shoot out car lights. Axel couldn't hit a person in a car that wasn't moving but coincidentally hit all the targets at the shooting place and hit people when it suit the ridiculous plot.

The first time Axel laughs the "Axel laugh" in the movie is like a setup also because there's staged silence and then the horrible laugh that anyone can fake. As if we were being rewarded for waiting by being given the token signature laugh by our hero. Other times when he laughed in the movie he would laugh normally and then go back to that laugh again as if someone else told him he swayed from the path of crazy fake laugh central. I think Eddie Murphy just phoned this one in and his wooden acting, inappropriate yelling, and inappropriate facial expressions for emotions show it. I guess he got paid either way and that is all that mattered.

Another sequel that ain't equal.

Author: TOMASBBloodhound from Omaha, NE USA
7 October 2013

The Beverly Hills Cop franchise was in some ways like the Smokey and The Bandit series. They both had good original films, then each sequel was geometrically worse than the film it followed. Beverly Hills Cop II had potential. Eddie Murphy was at the height of his career. The important co-stars were mostly back. Simpson and Bruckheimer were on board as producers. Tony Scott was a hot new director... but somehow it just doesn't quite gel. Maybe Scott was a bad choice. Think of how easily the original Beverly Hills Cop movie flowed between action and comedy. Martin Brest understood how to do this. Midnight Run was another fine example. But Scott didn't get this genre right until later on with films like The Last Boy Scout and True Romance. Good screenwriters also helped those efforts. But "Cop II"?? Overall, its just too loud, fast and doesn't let either its stars or audience up for air. The villains are poorly cast and end up coming off as pretty generic. Murphy's reason for being out in L.A. is a bit more credible this time, but its poorly set up. Get this: Murphy is watching TV back in Detroit, and on the local news he hears about his police lieutenant buddy (Cox) getting shot in L.A.. Pretty slow news day in the Motor City, I guess. Detroit certainly has enough of its own shootings to cover on the news. Cox was only wounded, too! Couldn't they just have had his daughter call Murphy and that would be enough?? Once Murphy gets out to California, he meets up with old pals Ashton and Reinhold. The group shares some funny moments between numerous car chases and shootouts. But too often it seems like everyone is in a big damned hurry. Most of Murphy's dialog sounds completely ad-libbed, and the timing always seems off. He almost seems to be shouting in every scene just to make his character heard over all the set pieces and commotion. The plot involving "the alphabet bandit" is little more than arbitrary. And Hugh Heffner comes off as being the jerk he is. Not a great picture. But better than part III. 5 of 10 stars.

The Hound.

Comedy Failed Due To Forced Attempts To Provide Laughter

Author: eric262003 from Canada
9 September 2013

The sequel to the "Beverly Hills Cop" franchise is quite flashy and the action scenes are overall very gripping with a plethora of rapid camera cuts. The atmosphere surrounding this movie is loud and very vocal. Sure the excitement of this movie is great for those who love watching movies that are run in the fast lane. Sadly, the movie loses a lot of credibility in terms of quality that's greatly absent in this picture. I think the movie overly attempts to top the success of its predecessor, but somehow ultimately fails.

Unlike the first "Beverly Hills Cop" movie, the sequel lacks that comical charm and panache that made the first film a success. For greater portions of this movie, the comedy feels forced and the execution becomes both pedestrian and repetitive. The continual usage of the word "Shut Up!" is horribly emphasized. It starts to become too cruel and tiresome and the humour just doesn't seem to feel that funny at all.

It's like the audience does not have the freedom to decide on what should be funny. They expect the audience to laugh at every situations that's displayed in front of them. Some scenes tend to be over-cooked to have anything logical. The script pathetically yearns for us to just laugh off every scene, but in reality the gags exhibited have absolutely no point to it. What's so funny about humming to the theme of "The Dating Game"? Also since when has misogyny have ever been funny? Way too many times the word "bitch" was badly utilized.

Also is it all that necessary to use every descriptive synonym for certain parts of the human anatomy and to assume it is in any way shape or form hilarious? I mean the cruel intentions of this movie is bad enough I mean why add salt to the wounds? It's a very narrow- minded debacle that they assume that the more you inflict loud and verbal abuse towards everyone, then this movie is even deemed as funny? Well news flash for you, it's anything but funny, in fact it's both abusive and very juvenile.

The story starts losing it sparks as it starts to become a bona-fide car chase and it's executed in a very ridiculous perspective. It's told in a very illogical premise and the crime capers scenario looks and feels redundant. And the most saddest part is that it takes itself way too seriously. I mean how are we supposed to take the crimes featured here seriously? With a name like "the alphabet robberies" it's like a took a refresher course from Kindergarten.

I like it nearly as much as the first - so sue me.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
3 February 2012

After the original hit so big in 84 it was inevitable (and to a 14 year old like me) quite welcome that a sequel would be cobbled together. The surprising part of it all is that this film is almost as good as the first, and despite being panned mercilessly by many it remains one of my favourite guilty pleasures from the 80s. In fact I probably know this film better than the original.

Axel Foley is once again drawn back to Beverly Hills from his cosy, dangerous rut in Detroit – much to his superior Detective Todd's chagrin. This time he is there to uncover just who is responsible for Lt Bogomil being gunned down there. (One photo of a fishing trip is enough to inform us that between the first and second film the Beverly Hills Police crew and Axel have become fast friends.) The mechanics of the sequel demand that it be more elaborate, so this time Axel, Taggert and Rosewood find themselves on the trail of the Alphabet criminals, so called for leaving clues in the form of letters and performing their crimes alphabetically – wonder how they would have gone if they made it to 'Q'? With the characters already introduced and by this stage well-defined, all that is left is to get into it. The sequel has a soundtrack that is almost as good as the original, action sequences that hurtle along almost as well, and better criminal big wigs in the form of Jurgen Prochnow and unfathomably tall and blond Bridget Neilson.

It seems to me that the first two Beverly Hills Cop films were taken very seriously by the filmmakers, with no Martin Brest at the helm a savvy move was made to put Tony Scott behind the wheel, a man that can make reading the phone book more adrenalising and somehow exciting.

The last 45 minutes of BHC2 is in fact almost one long unbroken action sequence, with chase scene after chase scene, most only broken up to pause while Axel breaks out another character voice to bluff his way into or out of trouble.

The pacing of the sequel is probably better than the original, thanks again to the fact that Scott didn't need to bother us with character development, and the series of coincidences and fluke meetings that hold the plot together are forgivable given just how entertaining the rest of the film is.

Final Rating – 8 / 10. OK it isn't all-time great and it relies on Murphy's charm to smooth over some dull spots, but this remains undeniably rewatchable and continues to amuse.

I enjoyed this Beverly Hills Cop the best.

Author: Aaron1375
8 March 2011

I know this goes against the grain, but I did enjoy this sequel to Beverly Hills Cop more than the original. I was not the biggest fan of the first film, it had its moments, but I did really enjoy this one. This one has Foley returning to Beverly Hills to help the friends he made from the first film solve a set of robberies and a cop getting shot. I do not know, but I enjoyed the story more and I also enjoyed the inclusion of Brigitte Nielsen as the bad guy for the piece. She was rather good for a short stretch, but faded quite fast like a lot of actresses. I enjoyed the chemistry between Murphy, Reinhold and Ashton my favorite scene where Axel (Murphy) and Taggart (Ashton) were discussing Billy (Reinhold) possibly having a problem as he had quite an assortment of weapons and gun paraphernalia. The action in this one is really good too and I like the humor a bit more here too. To me it is a better film, but that is me. Most people like the first one better I imagine, I just thought this one had a bit more substance to it than the first film. I think this one is a wild ride and the cast is comfortable with their roles. I am sure we can all agree that it is a better sequel than the third movie.

Page 2 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]