IMDb > Baby Boom (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Baby Boom

Baby Boom More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

"One would take it for granted that a woman like this has it all. One must never take anything for granted."

Author: clydestuff from United States
14 March 2004

In the opening scenes of Baby Boom, set against a back drop of hustling and bustling women in the workplace, Linda Ellerbee provides us the following commentary:

"Sociologists say the new working woman is a phenomenon of our time. Take J.C. Wyatt for example, graduated first in her class at Yale, got her M.B.A. at Harvard. Has a corner office at the corner of Th and park. She works 5 to 9, makes six figures a year and they call her the "Tiger Lady". Married to her job, she lives with an investment banker married to his. They collect African Art, co-own their own co-op and have separate but equal IRA accounts. One would take it for granted that a woman like this has it all. One must never take anything for granted."

And that my friends sets up Baby Boom in a manner far better than I could even begin to. And why must one never take anything for granted? Thought you'd never ask. Just as J.C. Wyatt (Diane Keaton)is about to be made a partner in the company she works for, and a few hours before she is to have the most important business meeting of her career, J.C. is left an inheritance by some long forgotten relatives. That inheritance turns out to be cute and charming Baby Elizabeth(Kristina and Michelle Kennedy), dumped on J.C. at the airport. It seems since J.C. is the only known surviving relative, it is left to her to care for Elizabeth. Thus we end up with the first half of our fish out of water story and it's a dandy, thanks in large part once again to Miss Keaton's wonderful comedic timing, and the fact that we like and admire her character. In a formulaic comedy such as this, the value of that is inestimable.

In the early going we know that much of what we see will be how well J.C. copes with being an executive while trying to raise an infant, a job she is totally unprepared for. As for her "investment banker" Steven, whom she shares the co-op with, playing father is not his idea of a good time and he quickly makes his exit. This is J.C.'s and Elizabeth's story, so obviously he is not needed. The film could have easily gone off course in the early going, making it strictly a comedy of slapstick, but thanks to a good script by Nancy Myers and Charles Shyer, it quickly steers away from that. What we do see is J.C. not only quickly learning to care for her child, but also figuring out how to juggle motherhood and an executive position at the same time. Of course nothing in the film world is easy and circumstances soon force J.C. and Elizabeth out of New York City to the snowy country side of Vermont, and we get our second fish out of water story. It is here that J.C. meets Dr. Jeff Cooper (Sam Shepherd), the town veterinarian and a romantic interest for J.C.

In order to move their film along at a nice clip, Meyers and Shyer, do take some licenses and shortcuts. How J.C. obtains Baby Elizabeth is a little suspect, as is how quickly J.C. purchases a house in Vermont, just from a newspaper ad. In films of this nature there is nothing wrong with taking a few shortcuts if it helps to get from important point A to more important point B. It's the same thing that happens later, as we see J.C. try to build a new business. There is no doubt that in the real world, it doesn't quite work that way, but again, if this were a dramatic true life story, things like that might matter. For this lightweight comedy, it's just not important.

Another thing the director Charles Shyers does is make good use of the Kennedy twins as Baby Elizabeth. In any film where a child is an important part of what is happening on screen many directors overplay the cuteness bits. Shyers seems to know exactly when Elizabeth is important to what is happening in the scene and when she is not. He never dwells or lingers too long on closeups of her, and he does not develop what I call the "cute kid syndrome" whereas the director overplays, overdoes, or rams a child actor down our throats when it's not needed. Shyers knows this is Keaton's film, and never forgets that. My hat's off to him.

One could easily argue, as some have, that the Shyers have made a comedy about a women's place in the world. Perhaps they have, but I don't agree. At no point did I think they were telling us what women in general should or should not do with their careers. What they are saying, is that all of us, women and men alike, should be able to make personal choices that have nothing to do with our careers and be able to do it without being penalized for it. It's a philosophy I happen to agree with, and when I do that you get my grade, which for Baby Boom adds up to a B+.

Just a really "fun" movie

Author: caa821 from Tulsa OK
11 January 2007

Some movies are just fun to watch -- and this is one of those for me. Diane Keaton is one of the most engaging, likable actresses, in any role, and this one is perfect for her. The story doesn't hold a lot of suspense -- you know where it is going early-on, but that doesn't lessen the enjoyment. All of the supporting characters/actors, in both the sophisticated/big-city/New York setting, and in rural Vermont, are well-cast and likable as well. Keaton and co-star Sam Shepard are also engaging as a couple, with humorous contentions at first, and the romance soon following.

The rapidity and degree of her success in her Vermont business venture are somewhat unbelievable (even despite her prestigious business background), but so what?

Simply a thoroughly enjoyable, funny, pleasant and uplifting viewing.

Best "Chick-Flick" for men to enjoy

Author: Ray Daisey from Salisbury, Maryland US
7 August 2004

I don't like the term "chick flick" but have come to realize that they do exist. This has to be the best movie like this for men. While it speaks to where women were in the corporate workforce in 1987 versus today, it also displays well the fact that it is the baby that causes Keaton's character to grow up, develop and become a more whole person than just the business tiger she was. The addition of Sam Sheppard as the veterinarian love-interest for Keaton is very well done. Sheppard appeals to men as a masculine, intelligent person willing to call his own shots when and where he wants. His ability to become valuable to Keaton who would have before seen him as valueless is priceless. This is a good "snowy Sunday evening" movie to go well with a good, hearty stew and a good friend.

Fun Keaton/Shepard Romance!

Author: mrcaw1 from United States
27 April 2004

Baby Boom (1987) Dir: Charles Shyer Finally, Keaton's career starts to show signs of wear and tear. After five years of less than satisfactory productions she scores a hit in this late '80s comedy. Unfortunately, it also signals a trend towards more commercial and less artistically challenging pieces, but hey, a hit's a hit! Keaton plays a single high-powered business exec who winds up as legal guardian to a baby of a recently deceased distant relative. Many entanglements ensue and Keaton winds up leaving her high paying job and moving with the baby to Vermont. Along the way she falls in love with the local veterinarian (Sam Shepard) and winds up making a fortune marketing the homemade baby apple sauce. Okay, so it's hoaky. But I enjoyed it and it's played lightly and with more class than most recent comedies.

Babies are big business

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
6 February 2005

J.C. (Diane Keaton) is a business executive with a fast-paced existence, including power lunches, serious hair and more. Her life is turned upside down, however, when a close relative dies and leaves J.C. in charge of a toddler girl. Suddenly, big promotions or assignments are not coming J.C.'s way and she decides to move to Vermont and be a stay at home mother. There, she meets attractive Dr. Jeff (Sam Shepard). However, her old house needs many repairs and she must make some cash. Will she opt to return to her former life?

This darling movie features Keaton at the top of her game. Her initial reactions to becoming a mother are hilarious. Shepard, also, does a fun turn as the one eligible bachelor anywhere in sight in the Vermont setting. Big corporations take a pretty severe beating as depicted in this film but it is all in fun. If you go to the library or video store and the hot new stuff is checked out, try to find this film instead. It is worthy of recognition among those who like romance movies and for those who think they don't.

Cute comedy

Author: jhaggardjr from Chicago, Illinois
16 June 2001

"Baby Boom" is a cute, sweet, and charming comedy with a funny performance by Diane Keaton as a New York career woman who has her life turned upside down when she inherits a baby from a distant relative. The first half of "Baby Boom" is dynamite, when Keaton has to deal with the frustrations of early motherhood and handle her job almost at the same time. The scene where she tries to put a diaper on the toddler is classic comedy. I was explosively laughing out loud at that scene. Another very funny moment is when Keaton interviews potenial nannies. Who would have ever thought that she would interview an Iranian woman for the position? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The second half isn't quite as hilarious as the first. It does tend to sag just a tad bit, but that doesn't hurt the film. As a whole, "Baby Boom" is a terrific comedy that I thought was better than "3 Men and a Baby", which came out in theaters just after this one. "3 Men and a Baby" was funny too, but "Baby Boom" is funnier.

***1/2 (out of four)

Something for everyone!

Author: Ward Christman from United States - Philadelphia
29 October 2005

Having watched it 10 times because my wife has watched it 30 times, our kids now ask to watch it too.

It really has something for the whole family and it's good clean fun. It's not an Oscar movie but that's OK because i don't think they intended it to be that polished or intense - just an all around good movie.

It has the classic conflict of deciding which is more important - family or the job. JC can't "have it all" but sure tries hard and gets very close.

Good thing we upgraded to the DVD, the tape was wearing out!

Baby Boom

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
3 July 1999

Sweeter than sugar Keaton is delightfully charming in this pleasant comedy about a high powered business executive who lives in her work, until she inherits a baby girl from distant relatives who have been killed. Lovely all the way through with a witty script from Nancy Meyers and Charles Shyer and good support from the always wonderful Shepard and from Sam Wannamaker.

One of Diane Keaton's Finest Roles

Author: Lisa from Ohio
8 July 2003

One of the main reasons I rented this movie is because I absolutely love Diane Keaton's work. Well I was very happy with her performance in this movie. I thought the plot was terrific. Charles Shyer and Nancy Meyers really do an excellent job with the writing and directing. Keaton brings life to the movie, not to mention humor and light drama.

The supporting cast, including Sam Shepard, Sam Wanamaker, James Spader, and Pat Hinkle are all outstanding. Yet their performances, in my opinion, are inferior to Keaton's. When she would enter the scene, she would bring the life into it.

I also loved the way too cute girls who played Elizabeth. Even though they were about two or younger at the time, they were precious!

I give this movie a 10/10.

"Make it stop"

Author: Shinwa
27 November 1999

This movie made me about as uncomfortable as any movie in recent memory; it's hard to tell where comedic exaggeration about neurotic working women stops and truly offensive stereotyping begins, but I suppose it works well enough as a mechanical, echt-80's fantasia wherein competent career woman Keaton discovers her life is meaningless without a little one (who, by the way, is curiously forgotten by the movie about midway through). It ruins nothing to say that the shrew ends up well and truly tamed. The most amusing aspect of the movie by far is the "why in God's name am in this movie?" look on Sam Shepard's face. Incredible, the Myers/Shyer movies only got worse. Keaton tries her hardest.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]