IMDb > Amazing Grace and Chuck (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A Wonderful Idea

Author: Chris Lehmann (ChrisNYC) from New York, NY
12 April 2001

Hey, there are worse reasons to make a movie than the hope that a kid and a few professional ballplayers might be able to change the world. Is Alex English a fantastic actor? No... but he's believable. And if you are willing to suspend your disbelief about the plot, you can have an amazing ride with this movie. It's a great idea... and the movie plays it off pretty darned well.

Nothing wrong with a movie that make you believe that a dream could happen.

Wonderful and sad

Author: amwoods13 from San Francisco, California
12 November 1999

Who'd have thought that sappy movie starring an ex-pro athlete about nuclear disarmament would be this terrific. While the big theme--nuclear disarmament--is always omnipresent, it is the small themes of the movie--family, friendship, hero worship, life priorities, peer pressure--that make Amazing Grace and Chuck so watchable and, ultimately, sure to make you cry. Amazing Grace and Chuck sounds corny, but is really moving. It is a movie I can see over and over.

Says amazing things about the human spirit!

Author: dannar69 ( from Madison, WI
18 September 2001

While ultimately this movie may be incredibly unrealistic, Amazing Grace and Chuck still has an important and powerful message about the need to make sacrifices for something you truly believe in. An outstanding performance by the cast solidifies this movie as one of my favorites.

One of the best Kid's Movies ever

Author: Warren Demurjian from Cherry Hill, NJ
6 April 2005

Provided you are capable of a "willful suspension of disbelief" regarding the implausible plot premise, this is a delightful movie. Truly one of the best kid's movies of all-time (right up there with "The Sandlot").

This movie combines some well-known stars (Gregory Peck, Jamie Lee Curtis, and William Peterson) with some surprising debuts (Joshua Zuehlke as Chuck and former NBA great, Alex English, as Amazing).

The story is heart-warming, with some genuine tear-jerkers, and the closing is uplifting (though a tad predictable). There are some surprises, a few quotable lines, and lots of inspiring moments.

I can't recommend this enough, if you want to believe that anyone can make a difference in this mixed-up world of ours.

A real sleeper. This is a great movie!

Author: Jaynie-5 from Rhode Island
16 September 1999

I use to go into this little milk store in West Lebanon, NH on my way home from work. They had a display of movies you could rent. Nothing recent or big box office. One night I was so bored I took home a tape called "Amazing Grace and Chuck". I was completely captivated by this film. Maybe because I had no expectations, knew nothing about this film, or I just was in the mood, I found this to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. I can't describe it because, quite frankly, this movie has a ridiculous plot. A little league player decides to give up baseball until all nuclear weapons are destroyed. Famous athletes, the president, all get involved. Rent this movie. If you liked "Tender Mercies", you will like "Amazing Grace and Chuck". Then see "The Boy Who Could Fly".

A young boy stands up for what he thinks is right and wins.

Author: rmarcel from USA
5 March 2002

I watch this movie every time it's on HBO and enjoy it every time. I just purchased it for my grandkids. I think it show kids that adults do listen when given the chance. Especially since 9/11, I think they need to see that their ideas of peace should be looked at closely. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.

It gets me every time

Author: kronick
2 August 2004

I saw this movie years ago and have never forgotten it.

The story is of a young boy protesting nuclear weapons by refusing to play Little League baseball. Professional players join in his fight when they hear of his cause. While in this day and age its somewhat unlikely, it offers a great feeling of hope, of truly believing in something, and sacrificing luxuries for the greater good of the world. I love this movie, its not flashy but it touches the heart. Maybe I am a sap, but I don't think I have had one viewing of this movie without being brought to tears. See this movie at least once. Its worth it.

If you show this movie to your children, there is an emotional (but not graphic) death in this movie.

Totally under-rated feel-good movie with a message.

Author: Bob Weil from Sacramento, CA
25 May 2001

A remarkably enjoyable movie that's particularly entertaining for sports fans and anyone who's not a raging right-wing hawk. Alex English is so engaging & natural that I'm surprised he hasn't done more acting.

A good flick for young or old

Author: SisterArtemis from United States
25 November 2008

I had a very different take on this movie than the previous commenter. I first watched the movie as an adult, with my 7-ish year old daughter and a couple of friends. Though somewhat simplistic in nature, the themes are pretty deep. I view the movie as a kind of audio-visual poem, a Tale rather than a mere story. Not that it's the best movie of all time (sorry, Lawrence of Arabia gets that award from me), but I always highly recommend it because the core ideas are interesting, and the story is told in such a peaceful, respectful way.

Though the plot is definitely tied to the decades old hostilities between the U.S. and the now-defunct Soviet Union (which fell about 4 years after this film was released), the problem of powerful entities at a stand-off is (sadly) a repeating one.I recommend it for any age, but it's definitely aimed at presenting adult themes to young minds.

Little Known But One of My Favorites

Author: doug stotland from United States
23 February 2008

I wish they would put this out on DVD so I could get a copy to watch with my kids. It's a wonder fairy tale w/ well developed characters and interesting themes. You also get to watch Gregory Peck as the president of the US; what could be better than that? For those of you who are basketball fans, watching Alex English try to act is fun as well. Even though he's not much of an actor his performance is heartfelt and it's hard not to like the character. The movie's got one of my favorite lines:

President (Peck): the constitution gives you the freedom of speech but that doesn't mean you can walk into a crowded movie theater and yell "fire." Kid: But sir, what if there really is a fire?

It's easy to get past the cheese and enjoy this movie...if you can find it.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]