IMDb > "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Trek: The Next Generation"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 11 of 20: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Lame for a while, but matured quite well.

Author: Jonathan Day-Reiner from Toronto
4 January 1999

Next-Gen did rip-off quite a bit from the original Star-Trek for the first couple of seasons, but it matured and eventually came up with some very interesting plot-lines of its own accord. Much more like a space-soap-opera than was the original series, with many sub-plots continuing throughout the series. However, at times seemed more pre-occupied with impressing audiences visually than "exploring new worlds" etc.

One of the greatest serials of all time!!

Author: Abusimble1 from The Back of Beyond, in the Void behind Reality
23 July 2008

There have been five star trek serials now: Star Trek, Star Trek the next generation, Star Trek deep space 9, Star Trek voyager and Enterprise.

Star Trek was 10/10, simply because it was so novel and the character interactions were so well done. Kirk made a great captain, Spock was a unique person but also a unique first officer, McCoy provided many laughs and was always questioning Kirk and especially Spock's decisions. The music was also varied and good.

Star Trek the next generation was a little different from star trek. It didn't seem to be as catching because it seemed subdued. Much of this probably has to do with Captain Picard. Picard takes some getting used to. He seems stoic and unemotional outwardly. However, the more one watches him the more he realises that Picard's style is simply different from Kirk's or most captains. Riker is an excellent first officer, with Kirk's tactical skills. Worf is a great security man and one of the best characters ever on any star trek series is Data. Data is played by an excellent actor and his growth on the series is something the viewer will appreciate. LaForge, Crusher and Troi are excellent side characters. Star Trek the next generation was a 9/10.

Star Trek deep space 9 took a year or two to get going. By the 3rd season, it was good. The 4th, 5th and 6th seasons were great. The last two years, however, were not so good. The show became obsessed with one enemy, the Dominion. This could have been a good thing but turned bland because the settings were always the same and no new characters were introduced. The idea simply got worn out and wasn't executed too well to begin with. Star Trek deep space 9 had memorable characters, though not in the league of the previous two series. Captain Sisko became too military-like and robotic in the last two years. Kira was too much of a feminist to begin with, while Dr.Bashir, Chief O'Brian, Garak, Dukat, Odo and Quark were excellent characters. Star Trek deep space 9 was the third best serial in the series. 8/10.

Star Trek voyager wasn't watched much by me. Star Trek started going downhill at this point. Janeway was a pretty good captain but the plots were starting to become darker and character interactions were becoming superficial. Love triangles and inane comedy was beginning to be introduced. Seven Of Nine was nothing special as an actor or character yet the plots seemed to revolve around her. The writers started losing the essence of Star Trek with this show. 5/10.

Enterprise is the newest Star Trek serial. It ran from 2001 to 2005. I don't know what the writers and producers and directors were thinking when they made this show. Or rather, I do know what they were thinking. And they weren't normal thoughts. Firstly, they tried to get away from being associated with Star Trek by taking out the words Star Trek from the show's title. They then brought in Scott Bakula to play the part of the captain and a woman for the second officer position whose only appeal is supposed to be for her looks. The plots may be alright but 90% of the show is spent on crew relationships and saying hackneyed, dull comical lines. The reason behind all this is to appeal to the younger generation of viewers, those who are 14 to 23 years old. These viewers grew up in the age where television has gone dramatically downhill due to feminism and bad scripts. Explosions on the screen is the way a show's greatness is judged these days. Or if there are character interactions present, it will be in the form of American Idol or other 'reality' based contests. Without the element of diverse natures, mystery and the uncertainty of how a character will respond, the fun in watching television loses its appeal. Enterprise is 2/10.

Star Trek the next generation was one of the greatest serials made for television. Gene Rodenberry's input on that show was one reason it did so well. I don't think he would approve of where the Star Trek legacy has gone now.

Best of the Star Trek series

Author: Noah
18 April 2007

Star Trek: The Next Generation is, in my opinion, the absolute best of the Star Trek series.

The first season was a bit rocky, at times even a bit corny. Throughout the first season, there are mistakes in filming, such as visible light stands in some scenes and in one episode, one of the film crew's hand can be seen retrieving a glass (can only be seen on the DVD, TV broadcasts cut enough of the shot that this wasn't visible). Anyway, things greatly improved into the second and third seasons. Not only did character acting improve, the scripts became more interesting.

It's unfortunate that TNG only lasted 7 seasons. It had a good run, but many of the fans, including myself, wanted more.

It can't compare with the Original Series

Author: yarborough from northridge, ca
22 October 2001

It was nice that "Star Trek" got a new series in 1987 since the great original series was cut off after so short a run. But "Star Trek: The Next Generation" is simply a homage to the original series with nothing to add. It completly lacks the energy, thrills, humor and intriguing stories of the original series, and the characters are ridiculously stale. In addition, Patrick Stewart was way too old from the beginning to start playing the captain. He has none of the physical capabilities that Captain Kirk had, and his sidekick, William Riker, is temperamental and annoying, and cannot connect with him the way Spock did his captain. Stick with the original and nothing else.

Spoilers Added for STNG

Author: Patricia Parker from Canada
19 January 2013

I have followed the Trek shows since I was a child Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Janeway, Captain Sisko and of course although I was highly disappointed Captain Archer. STNG is always my favorite mostly because it came out in my era as well as Voyager. I always wondered if Riker and Troi would get together the episode where they found Rikers twin if you will would of made that possible but they opted to skip it and make him a bad man in the end as we seen on DSN. I keep asking for the shows to make it to Netflix and I'm sought with peril in my endeavors it would be great for the Generation of the here and now to see them and continue where Gene left off. I was not impressed how they ended the series no one stepped down no one left a back and fourth journey to what? I really didn't get that episode at all and to think it was the end, what a shame. I had to wait for a movie to tell me and from what I gather that was with luck they had no real intention of making a movie franchise afraid that the same would happen to them as it did with the first shows movies. This is an execellent show well written thanks to the talents of Gene Roddenberry and his staff I would suggest it to anyone who had an eye for Sci-Fi. the casting was well thought out and the action well done I still and always will be one of their biggest fans. Thank you all for what you have given me xx

I think that Star Trek:The Next Generation is one of my favorite television shows.

Author: niblit_123 from Oklahoma
8 September 2004

I have been a Star Trek fan ever since I was a little kid. I am not too hip about the old Star Trek with William Shatner.....you can tell that is all fake and some of the dialog is stale and boring. And Captain Kirk should not always get the girl in the end. The Next Generation is one of the best sci-fi shows that I have ever seen. And the full length movies that have been made from this television show are awesome too. I think that the graphics for these shows are good. They don't compare to what can be done now. And I don't care if it is all fake or made up or what ever. You have to have a bit of imagination to be able to sit and watch a show like this. Everybody knows that this is fake. But who really cares? I don't watch TV to see reality shows. I watch the news for reality. Some people just don't know a good show when they see one. You would just have had to grow up in a Star Trek household, like I did, to understand and appreciate it.

The first in a great line

Author: katiebray123 from Cornwall
25 March 2004

When this series first came most people thought that it would fail. They believed that it would never be able to live up the orginal, but they were wrong.

This seris was what brought the franchise alive agian, it introduced a new generation to the world of Star Trek. I think it proved that when you have a great idea such as Gene Roddenbury had then you should fly with it.

From this series we have had other greats such as Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise (all be it Enterprise is a prequal!!)plus four new films with the new cast.

This series was able to show what was able to continue with what the orginal Star Trek was saying, that all life is important, and was able to tackle the issues of the day.

The4 next Generation did have an advantage over the orginal Star Trek, this was an already loyal fan base and the history of the orginal series.

This however, doesn't lower the standard that the cast and crew of this show,a nd the hard work that they have put in. The special effects are excellent, and the acting even more so.

The Next Generation has brought the world of Star Trek alive again, and has helped it stay alive for 18 years. If you think of each new series as a member The Next generation would be the Great Grandfather of the family and each new series would the next generation. The one thing that this series does note and that is that the human race is not perfect, and this has allowed the writers to come up with new and exciting adventures.

All I have to say is WELL DONE AND CONTINUE THE EXCELLENT WORK to the cast and the crew of ever Star Trek series and films in the past, present and future.

I GREW UP WITH THIS SERIES

Author: Butterworthp from Leicester, england
6 January 2003

When i was about 7 this programme got rammed down my throat by mum and this was 1993 when sky one brought the series and put it on everyday because they were about three's behind, instantly i hated it but the older i got i started to love it in secret and watch the final episode 'ALL GOOD THINGS'OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I recently spent £70 on season five on dvd and it is marvellous.

A spinoff/sequal to the 60s' Space Exploration Series

Author: Ultros9999 from Canada
5 July 2002

Star Trek: The Next Generation is sort of a sequal/spin-off series to the 60's classic, Star Trek. The series takes place in the 23rd Century on the Galaxy-Class ship U.S.S. Enterprise-D, Captained by Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart). Co-Stars are First Officer Commander William Riker (Jonathan Frakes); 2nd Officer Lt. Commander Data (Brent Spiner); Chief Engineer Lt. Commander Geordi LaForge (LeVar Burton); Lt. Commander Worf (Michael Dorn); Councilor Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis); and Dr. Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden). This 7-year series follows the crew as they explore the reaches of space, encountering species like the Cardassians, Romulans, the Q, and even the Borg. In my opinion, a series to watch. There are 3 movies based on this. (With a 4th on the way. It should be here by the end of 2002)

I´m no Trekkie. But I love Star Trek the next Generation

Author: Man_of_Death (Man_of_Death) from Iceland, Reykjavik
6 May 2002

People say The Next Generation lacks ideas. Well let me tell you

that those who say that are Braindead or simply a bunch of low

lives. Most who write about Star Trek are Trekkies, I´m no Trekkie.

I´m not a low life nerd who dresses like a klingon to get to a

convention. I love mostly every Star Trek episodes and The Next

Generation is the best. It´s full of new insightful ideas and the act

is spectacular. Brent Spiner is far most the best. I could never act

like a robot like he does. Sometimes I simply laugh for a long time

for Data´s behavior. The Next Generation is better than the

original, deep space nine and voyager put together. Take that you

low life Trekkies nerds.