Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1994)
Frequently Asked Questions
DeForest Kelley appeared as in Encounter at Farpoint (1987).
Leonard Nimoy appeared as in Unification I (1991) and Unification II (1991). His appearance was tied to the release of the film Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991).
Mark Lenard appeared as in Sarek (1990) and Unification I (1991).
James Doohan appeared as in Relics (1992).
Majel Barrett appeared as (nearly all episodes) and (8 episodes) in Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987).
Diana Muldaur who appeared as in episode Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968) and as in episode Return to Tomorrow (1968) of Star Trek (1966), appeared as , a recurring character, in most episodes of season 2 of Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987), replacing (Gates McFadden) as Chief Medical Officer.
- The state of war with the Klingons was effectively ended in 2293 by the Kithomer Accord, as seen in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991). An uneasy peace with the Federation remains, as there were still frequent skirmishes with the Klingons over time. The Klingon Empire remained an independent government outside of the Federation.
- Around 2300, the cooperation that existed between Klingons and Romulans since the 23rd century started to gradually degrade, perhaps fueled by the weakened state of the Klingons following the Praxis Incident, and their subsequent willingness to reconcile with the Federation.
- An event known as the Tomed incident occurred in 2311. Although details were never provided, known facts suggest that it concerned a violation of the Romulan Neutral Zone, involvement of cloaked ships, and the death of thousands of lives, both Romulan and Federation. It led to the Treaty of Algeron, which reaffirmed the Neutral Zone as a no-fly zone and prohibited the Federation from developing cloaked vessels. The treaty also ceased virtually all dialogue between the Romulans and the Federation for the next 50 years.
- In 2344, the Romulans attacked a Klingon outpost on Narendra III. It is unknown what sparked the incident, but the intervention of the Enterprise-C, a Federation vessel, despite being destroyed in the battle, was perceived as particularly honourable by the Klingons. As a result, relations with the Klingons improved drastically. About two years later, Romulans attacked the Klingon outpost at Kithomer (possibly over a territorial dispute) and killed nearly all inhabitants, leading to the start of the Romulan-Klingon war around the 2350s.
- In 2363, the Enterprise-D was launched.
- In 2364, Jean-Luc Picard assumed command of the Enterprise-D and a continuing mission of space exploration is started.
It takes place from 2364-2370 A.D. 95 years after the events of the original TV series, 94 years after the events of the animated series, & 71 years after the events of the Undiscovered Country movie.