IMDb > "Out of This World" (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Out of This World" More at IMDbPro »

A funny serie about a pretty girl who was able to stop the time

Author: Cronopio from spain
18 August 1999

That's it. I saw this serie long time ago and what I can remenber is that it was a great funny show with one of the prettiest girls I had ever seen, who was able to stop the time. She was from other world and joining the point of her fingers all stopped and people got paralized. That way she was able to arrange a lot of comic situations, changin objects and people from place to place. She was also able to make someone move in this no-time and help her while others were stopped. Maureen (main actress of this show) appeared also in 7 Heaven as the girlfriend of Matt Candem

Cuter Than Sabrina

Author: Thor2000 from Collinsport, Maine
28 April 2001

You've got a very pretty blonde, blue-eyed girl with special powers but she can't use them to wreak venegance on her cruel classmates. No, I'm not talking about that Wiccan air-head, I'm talking about Evie Garland. Cuter, prettier and funnier, she paved the way for everyone else and was all but forgotten for the effort. Maureen Flannigan had a certain amount of charm and irresistable, dare I say it, magic; she was the Maureen McCormick of the Eighties. Donna Pescow was her cute mom and Joe Alaskey was her enjoyable uncle. His absence from the show was one of the signs of the end. The late Doug McClure played the whimsical town mayor in the series, but as the series went on, he just seemed to get more stupid and annoying. The show suffered a lot as the scripts became more contrived, and the series ended with an unsatisfactory plotline dangling - a poor end to a once great show. I wish Flannigan much better.

Great to watch again!

Author: bunny_hopgirl from uk
12 March 2004

Usually with 80`s programmes there very dated and not seem as funny as they were. Its better than Sabrina the Teenage Witch - even my son thinks so! Ok, Evie has to rely on her Alien Dad Troy for most powers - but she can freeze time! Who wouldnt want to do that???

I watched Out of this World only just now and its as funny now as it always was. My children love it too - especially the theme tune! Whats even more mazing is that I think I had Evie Garland`s wardrobe! I had practically all of Evie`s clothes in the 80`s - not that fit me now - ahem! lol.

I have about 70 episodes and would love to find the remaining ones if anyone could help? Cant wait to have all 96!!!

Please help me!!!!

Author: shaz-n-1 from United Kingdom
9 September 2005

This program was something that I had to watch every week, without fail. It was so fantastic and going by the comments, it is still as good as ever! It is such a shame that they stopped after such a short time. I was quite shocked to find out that there were 96 episodes, did't seem like that many! Does anyone know how this series ended? I am a big fan of Sabrina the Teenage Witch and would nearly go as far as saying 'out of this world' is better. I have tried so many different places to get copies of any of the episodes of this program, without any luck unfortunately!!!! If anyone has any episodes, I would really love a copy. Please let me know if anyone has any. Please guys, I am begging for some of these episodes!!

It's The 80's: What's on TV ? Out Of This World

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
13 April 2006

Out Of This World (1987-1991): Starring Maureen O'Flannigan, Voice of Burt Reynolds, Donna Pescow, Doug McClure, Christina Nigra, Buzz Belmondo, Steve Burton. Director Scott Baio, Bob Claver, Michael Dimitch and others

"Would you like to swing on a star ? Carrying Moonbeams all in a jar ? And be better off than you are, or would you rather go to earth ? An earthling's a creature with big floppy ears, he's not at all like you or me. His body comes in many different shapes, they say they came from chips and apes..." Such are the lyrics to the opening song to this long-forgotten late 80's sitcom, the theme song itself re-made from the original 30's tune. I was approximately 7-10 when this show was on and don't remember it too well, though many aspects stand out in my memory. Evie Garland (Maureen O'Flannigan) was born of an alien father and human mother. She would communicate with her alien father (voiced by Burt Reynolds) via a crystal cube (or was it a triangle ?). Each episode revolved around Evie and the rest of the characters were flat and undeveloped, including the mother. The rest were co-workers at the burger restaurant she worked in and high school students. Because production values were cheap and this was a studio-staged sitcom, we never saw anything beyond the kitchen where she and her mother would converse, Evie's bedroom where she would converse with her father at the end of the day, or the burger joint where she worked. This being the 80's, there was always a moral to every episode, and Evie learned how to be human and how to use her newfound powers wisely. In the show, she aged rapidly going from 13-18 rather quickly. She had a broad range of superhuman powers- the most notorious and memorable being the ability to freeze time and people around her by touching her fingers together. She had the power of clairvoyance, telechenisis (moving objects)She was able to change her shape, levitate, teleport herself and others to different locales. It was, of course, a sci-fi comedy series and I really wish that it would at least air on Sci-Fi channel or TV Land. This is a classic show that time forgot. I wonder whatever became of the actors ?

Maureen Flanagan

Author: andrewslamb from United Kingdom/Bolton
24 February 2006

I alway remember I had a HUGE crush on Maureen Flanagan when I first saw Out of this World! It was shown in the morning on ITV and I remember I always watched it avidly! Sitting with a mid morning snack and a cup of Irn Bru (I am actually blushing as I write!) I loved the fact that this foxy girl could do magic, and the fact that it was to do with aliens just made me more intent. I also remember Doug MacClure as the mayor, having seen him in a variety of Dinosaur- Cavemen Movies the very fact that this man was also on TV made the young Andy Lamb watch with a combination of amazement and wonder! Ah the joys of youth! I only wish I could find it on DVD now to see if the old saying is true that, " The Memory Cheats" a la "The Tomorrow People" and "Blakes Seven"

Pure nostalgia. They don't do 'em like this anymore!

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
17 July 2010

I was a very happy kid when I watched "Out of this World" for many reasons. First, it was a very entertaining show that offered light comedy, funny situations, and best of all, it made my want to have Evie's powers. Plus I had a crush on Maureen Flannigan ;) Objectively, it was a cute, fun show oriented for a younger audience but that didn't mean it couldn't be enjoyed by grown-ups. I caught it's re-runs when I was a teenager (mid 90's) and I enjoyed the same way when I was a kid. I didn't miss a single episode when it came on t.v.

Maureen Flannigan was the perfect Evie. She was very beautiful, cute, funny, and delivered a good acting. She was the main reason to watch the show. Donna Pescow was really funny and talented. I can't believe she stopped acting. Doug McClure was really goofy and funny. The kind of character that supports perfectly a sitcom. Buzz Belmondo made weird appereances but the man was funny! Overacted yes, but funny. Christina Nigra and Steve Bauer were also goofy but made a good team with Evie. Burt Reynold's voice delivered the moral messages and was a good example for Evie. He taught her how to use her powers.

Thinking about this show makes me think and miss my days as a kid. Thank you "Out of this World" for making my childhood happier. Heck, even the opening song for the show makes me happy.

Stunning blonde cutie, stopping time with alien powers

Author: ncvickers1 from United Kingdom
14 August 2006

I remember first watching this American show, back in my early years of high school. I really used to fancy Maureen Flanagan, who played Evie. The plot centered around Evie who inherited alien powers on her 13th birthday and from then on could stop time by joining her two fingers together. One of the regular guests bobbing in to the Garland household was "mayor Applegate" played by the late Doug McClure. Not normally being a fan of American sit-coms, i was surprised at how much i enjoyed this show, and how all the major characters, Donna Garland (Evie's mother) uncle Beano, Steve and Buzz made an integral part of the show and i always felt sad for Evie ( i was only 11 or 12 at the time) because she never quite got to meet her alien dad!!! A classic show that should be repeated!!!

Another one of my all time favorite eighties sitcoms

Author: Marvin Floyd (mfloyd@donnelly.edu) from Kansas City, Kansas
12 November 2004

I watched this show from the time it aired in syndication. Maureen Flannigan delivered a terrific performance as the popular Evie Garland. I was so hooked to this show that I began to act just like her, and I don't mean girlie like, I mean I began putting my two index fingers to- gether trying to stop time like her. I began to do it in school so much that I got in trouble by teacher and parents and I was forbidden from watching the show for a week. Eventually, I learned my lesson and I was allowed to watch it again and even though I had been punished once for doing it I would still do it in private when I was alone. I would even play the characters on the show with friends.

Talk about a mixed blood heritage

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
6 February 2013

Donna Pescow is the mother of Maureen Flanigan who married Burt Reynolds about 16 years earlier and he promptly departed for his home. Which is the planet Anterias in a galaxy far far away. Not that he doesn't keep in touch with his earth family, they've got some kind alien communication machine that can make sound travel light years in seconds. With that he dispenses fatherly advice. Reynolds is never seen in all the episodes in the four years this series ran.

Out Of This World was a nice show with a mighty thin premise that was good while it lasted, but probably was canceled in time as Flanigan moved out of her teen years. As an alien she had some powers and abilities far beyond mortal man though she was no superhero. Rather she got herself in normal teen situations as television describes them and used her powers to get in or out of them. Pescow presided over it all with aplomb.

Flanigan had a really hunky California surfer type boyfriend in Steve Burton who almost immediately got himself another gig in General Hospital where he is a resident to this day. Pescow had a brother who was named Beano and played by Joe Alaskey. Anyone named Beano you know is a comic character and Alaskey always seemed perpetually flustered.

Last, but not least was Doug McClure who played a former actor and now mayor of their small California town. McClure was very funny doing a spoof on himself as a retired action adventure hero now gone into politics. Seems that I remember another star becoming mayor of a small California town, who could that be?

Out Of This World was a pleasant if not truly memorable situation comedy.