IMDb > "My Two Dads" (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"My Two Dads" More at IMDbPro »

Something of a gift

Author: Gerald Starr (sgurch2002@yahoo.com) from Hollywood, CA
20 September 2004

I've read through these comments, all bashing MTD's, but for me growing with two homosexual fathers, the show was a godsend! There, once a week, was a family that looked and acted just like mine - except I didn't have a neighbor like Dick Butkus, he-he. Greg Evigan and Paul Reiser had this unspoken sexual chemistry, just like my father's, Stan and Randy (though sometimes their chemistry was more that just unspoken but that's a story for Dr. Phil!). MTD's quickly became my life. I collected the entire set of trading cards (sold only in Israel), the backpack, and the hair gell endorsed by Greg Evigan at the time (for a firm, stylish hold...). Really, the only thing I can say to sirs, Evigan and Reiser, "Thank you, my two sweet princes."

The show relates to real-life

Author: rjackson35 from United States
26 February 2005

When my wife and I married in 1985, I became the step-father of an eight-year old girl, whom I have raised as my own. At the time she had recently been adopted by another man because she never met her real father. In a sense, she now had two dads. When the show aired we had been in this situation for three years. This show gave her a connection to the rest of the world because she thought she was the only kids with two dads. The man who had adopted her was very money-oriented and I am an artist, so she felt a real connection to Nichole. I hated to see the series end because it was a great source of excitement for my daughter and it made me feel like our whole situation was not so abnormal. Although the show was a comedy, it made a lot serious statements about life and how to deal with situations as they are thrust upon you.

Stupid Plot but a good show!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
25 November 2006

The show's premise about a young single mother dies leaving orphan Staci Keanan to be raised by two potential fathers who are very opposite of one another. They are played by a former hometown resident Greg Evigan and Paul Reiser. The Judge who put them together is played by the wonderful Florence Stanley. Okay, the plot may have been dumb but something clicked on this show about two very different men who are not gay raising a daughter in New York City. Of course, a simple blood test would determine who the father was but it was more important that it did not matter after awhile. That family can be redefined about people who love and care for each other. The show also had the two fathers date women. Of course, now the show would be about two gay men raising a daughter which would have left the fire out of them trying to get along and live together as a family. Isn't family about people who love each other after all?

Teen comedy about a girl with two dads.

Author: Ken (Baldach) from Mesa, AZ
6 October 1999

The basic plot of the show was Nichole's(Keanan) mother died and she was adopted by the two men who had been with her mother. Micheal (Reiser) was the successful, easily stressed business man Joey (Evigan) was the laid back rock musician. Also the judge lived with them to oversee the upbringing. Typical episodes include Nichole's first date, Nichole's dating a rebel, etc. The series gave me the first appearance of Reiser's range of comedy material, also Keanan was the girl that I wish that went to my junior high.:)

season 1

Author: mg6661 from United Kingdom
20 April 2011

This was a great show in the tradition of The Wonder Years and Silver Spoons. Really good characters, particularly 12 year old Nicole. I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me but it leaves Friends in the dust. Nicole's two fathers Michael and Joey do a lot for the show too and her young friend Cory (a great kid also) and Judge Wilber certainly contribute also. My favourite episodes are Nicole's Big Adventure, Crime and Punishment, Advice and Consent and Nicole's First Date. I've really enjoyed the first season on DVD and I now have season 2 on order. I'm not sure if season 3 has been released on DVD yet. If not then I hope it will be at sometime because this is one of those shows you just can't get enough of.

Loved the show!

Author: signsoflife16 from United States
28 December 2005

I enjoyed this show very much when it was on. I think some people read to much into the premise of a show. It is a nice show that showed that people in a family can actually love and take care of each other. Maybe it wasn't an Emmy winning show, but, it was fun to watch. Paul Rieser is hilarious to watch. Greg Evigan I thought did a great job in this show of being able to give it back to Paul's character. The daughter may have been a little bratty at times, but, aren't we all? I would love to see this show back on TV in reruns. I would really enjoy watching it with my own teenagers. I think they would get a kick out of it. Thank you for listening. I hope you all have a nice day. There should be more descent shows like this one out there.

Odd comedy series.

Author: Brian-272 from Oakwood, Virginia USA
14 May 2001

I remember this funny but weird comedy series from the late 80's, I watched a few episodes from time to time. It is odd for a girl or any person for that matter to have two dads, but I guess it is possible in this crazy world we live in. The series was well written and featured good acting from Staci Keanan, Paul Reiser, and Greg Evigan. Let me explain 12 year-old Nicole (Staci Keanan) is in an unusual situation. She has two fathers. Years ago neurotic business student Michael (Paul Reiser) and free-spirited painter Joey (Greg Evigan) had loved the same woman only to both broken up with her and they had not seen her again. Later their ex-flame had died and both Joey and Michael learned she had a daughter by one of them, but no one knew which one. So the tough but firm Judge Wilbur played perfectly by Florence Stanley awarded joint custody of Nicole to them both. It was very fun watching the many episodes to experience the growing pains all three had. Each learned about life and love.

hilarious

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
15 August 2010

Need one of television's ad hoc families? I recommend this one. Nicole's (Staci Keenan) mother dies, and her two old flames inherit her per her will. One of them is her father, but no one knows who. They used to be best friends, but parted enemies, and now make up their differences for Nicole's sake and move into Joey's apartment and try to put up a "normal" family. Of course, the two dads have totally different personalities;Michael is an uptight consultant while Joey is a carefree, spontaneous artist. This makes for the funniest situations which of course get settled by the end of the episode. I think this is one of the funniest comedies of the '80s. If you have the time, check it out.

*** out of ****

Teen comedy about a girl with two dads.

Author: Ken (Baldach) from Mesa, AZ
6 October 1999

Micheal (Reiser) was the successful, easily stressed business man. Joey (Evigan) was the laid back rock musician. Also the judge lived with them to oversee the upbringing. Typical episodes include Nichole's first date, Nichole's dating a rebel, etc. The series gave me the first appearance of Reiser's range of comedy material, also Keanan was the girl that I wish that went to my junior high.:)

My all time favorite show

Author: Steve Meadows (smeadows@yahoo.com) from Austin, TX
12 June 2004

This show may have more meaning for me than most anyone else. I've seen every episode at least five times. I would love a chance to own the videos if the show ever comes to DVD. I'm an adoptee who had a very difficult time living with my adoptive parents. My adolescent years were too painful for me to want to remember them. I could understand a child trying to cope with a foreign environment. I can definitely see much of my personality in her character. I was a bright kid. She had two parents that cared for her and tried to relate to her and understand her. I wish that I would have had so much. Her parents may not have known what to do in every situation, but they made an effort to seek outside guidance when they felt their own advice was inadequate. In this show I see the parents and the adolescent memories that I never had but wanted.