IMDb > "Mathnet" (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Mathnet" More at IMDbPro »

A novel way to teach math.

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
13 May 2004

'Mathnet' was a pretty good way of getting kids to think about practical applications of math. It also simplifies mathematical equations to show that math doesn't have to be so overwhelming, especially when dealing with geometry and algebra.

A parody of the detective series, 'Dragnet,' the detectives would embark on an investigation during each episode which required math to solve the crime. I remember it being pretty predictable when I got older, but then again, this was just a show for young kids, as was the rest of PBS's 'Square One'.

The show had a lot of familiar faces, both noteable celebrities as well as some of the main cast who still bounces around in minor television roles these days. One viewer had commented on the production values of the show, as it was usually shot on location and with film stock rather than videotape. PBS did pump money into this little show, and I think they came up with a good educational show.

Most fun way to learn math!!

Author: jmkiek from United States
9 January 2006

In 6th grade in 1997, on Fridays we would watch Mathnet. It was always fun but plenty educational! As a student math was always the easiest when it was made fun, and that is exactly what this movie did for us. Quite frankly, the Mathnet series actually inspired my class to do our homework, because we weren't allowed to watch it unless the whole class did their homework. It was always a treat when we got to watch these movies. There aren't many good math movies (as I know now because I am studying mathematics)so it is amazing that Mathnet is so interesting. When the teacher who used them retired, he took the tapes with him and now Indiana is Mathnetless which it a pity!

Great production values for a kids show...

Author: Steve Brandon (Kiyone_Mabi@galaxypolice.com) from Montreal, Quebec, Canada
21 July 2002

Mathnet had about the best production values I have ever seen on a kids' show. Nearly everything was shot on location rather than on cheap-looking sets, and they used as much natural light as possible. (It made the rest of Square One TV, the kids' math show where Mathnet first appeared, look really, really cheesy in comparison.) Also, and I'm not 100% sure on this, but it looked like they shot it on film stock, rather than videotape. And, of course, unlike a lot of kids' shows that do location shoots, this was actually filmed in Los Angeles and, later, New York (rather than Toronto or Vancouver) and they show a lot of the famous landmarks, like the Hollywood sign.

Simpsons fans will also recognize Yeardley Smith, the voice of Lisa Simpson (who really does speak like Lisa in real life), in one of the earliest Mathnet stories.

Math, mystery, intrigue, rolled into one

Author: anonymous
21 May 1999

This was a great kids show, even for kids who didn't like math. James Earl Jones was awesome as usual. Truly a unique way to capture the imagination of children.

cops who do math = good!

Author: wl219 from New York
8 July 2001

Lord I miss "Mathnet". I first saw it on PBS as part of "Square One TV". Probably the reason I got into computer science and cop shows. The show was (unlike some of the crap on afternoon TV today) genuinely funny, entertaining, and educational.

Of course I didn't get all the in-jokes until I was much older- the whole play on "Dragnet", the criminal brothers Karamazov, George and Martha, and the CAR-RT SORT company...

I only wish today's kids TV has something like "Mathnet". Alas...

A clever show for adults and children alike

Author: tbtw
2 May 2000

I first saw this show as a young elementary school student, and I loved it then for its entertaining abilities and mystery qualities. Having taped some episodes when I was a child, I ran across them as an adult and I found them equally as delightful for their witty puns and found myself cracking up at the zany humor. These shows contain humor that is most certainly geared for adults (i.e. Nick and Nora Chuck - play on an old radio show Nick and Nora Charles) and thus succeeded in capturing the attention of both adults and children at the same time.

math is fun?!

Author: jennsormel from United States
1 May 2007

I watched this when I was a kid, and the fact that I'm writing a review for it now that I'm a grown woman is testimony to it's impact and success as a TV show and educational device.

The stories were captivating to a young audience, and cleverly promoted an interest in learning. It's role in the show Square One was brilliant as well, encouraging kids to keep up with every episode and learn even more. At the end of each program, it was like saving the best part for last.

"The stories are fake but the problems are real." I hope there is something equally engaging and educational when I have my own kids.