The Storyteller (1987– )
- The Soldier and Death - The Soldier helps three beggars and is rewarded each time. He also captures three geese the first time he uses the magic sack.
- Fearnot - Fearnot comes from a family of three (father, brother, and Fearnot) and is tricked by three bullies early in the story. It takes three encounters before he finally learns how to shudder (encountering the swamp creature, the half-demon in the castle, and the thought of losing his sweetheart).
- The Luck Child - Lucky survives three attempts on his life by the wicked King (thrown over a cliff, sent to the castle with a letter instructing the queen to kill him, and being sent to the Griffin's lair).
- A Story Short - The Storyteller loses to the Beggar three times while playing dice. He loses his money, his wife, and his own self.
- Hans My Hedgehog - The Princess, after marrying the Grovelhog, learns he sheds his quills each night and she has to keep it a secret for three nights in order to break the curse. When she fails and he runs away, she searches the world and wears out three pairs of iron shoes in the process.
- The Three Ravens - After the Princess's three brothers are transformed into ravens, she has to keep silent for three years, three months, three weeks, and three days to break the curse. She also gives birth to three sons after marrying the Prince, and speaks three minutes before noon (calling out three times) on the appointed day.
- Sapsorrow - Youngest of three daughters, Sapsorrow commissions the making of three dresses to stall the arranged marriage with her father. She then wears those dresses on three different nights to woo the Prince.
- The Heartless Giant - Youngest of three princes, Leo tries to find the Heartless Giant that he released. On the way, he helps three animals (bird, fish, and wolf) who later aid him. When Leo tries to find where the Giant's heart is hidden, he finds out after three tries.
- The True Bride - Anja completes three tasks given to her by the Troll with the help of the Thought Lion. The Lion also gives her three walnuts with gifts hidden inside to barter with the Trollop.