IMDb > "Hooperman" (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Hooperman" More at IMDbPro »

Underrated television series

Author: wcmb from Seattle
14 September 2003

I always felt that this series was underrated. It was entertaining, imaginative and should have been given more credit than it was. True Barbara Bosson was a bit annoying, but the show was entertaining. John Ritter will be missed.

I wish Hooperman had never died

Author: cm071564 from United States
29 August 2006

I am one of maybe a few people who thought that this show was the greatest show on TV at that time, and boy oh boy do we need a show like this on TV now.With all the stupid reality(Better known as crap TV) shows on TV, it was really refreshing to turn on your TV at 9:00 on Wednesday night and not only hear a great opening theme but get a beautifully written well acted entertaining show to boot.For me Hooperman was that good friend that you knew you were going to see every Wednesday night for one hour. And that's a feeling that none of these silly reality shows will ever, ever be able to give any real TV watcher.

And it's a shame that now he's gone forever, and the magic of Hooperman is gone as well. God bless you Hooperman wherever you are.

Hooperman - wonderful show

Author: Avril Bowles from United Kingdom
28 February 2009

I totally agree with the other comment. Here in the UK we are also besieged with moronic reality TV which, with the odd exception, is pure garbage. "Hooperman" was a wonderful 'dramedy' and the fabulous John Ritter was a sheer delight in the lead role, as, indeed, he was in every single role he undertook. Why isn't the series on DVD so fans can at least relive the show?! My God, we need it to watch when others are gawking at the ghastly 'Big Brother' and the like!! Like the amazing David Kelley, all Steven Boccho's shows were well written and observed, with large doses of humour mixed in the with the drama. Shows like "Hooperman" were hugely entertaining without the current 'need' to include sex, foul-mouth swearing, gratuitous violence or people throwing up at least once every half-hour. There was nothing to object to with "Hooperman", and John Ritter proved that he was a versatile, talented actor and not purely a comic actor as many people believed, following 'Three's Company'.

Jack Tripper lives!

Author: beafan (stevefest@hotmail.com) from Chicago, IL
18 August 2000

This wasn't the most memorable of TV series, but it was nice to see John Ritter back in a leading role again. I practically grew up on "Three's Company" and it was a switch to see him doing a dramatic role, but the episodes seemed to be peppered with comedic touches.

Kudos for having that gay cop! Kind of stereotypical, being San Francisco, but hey - gay is good!

A good show, a shame it didn't last longer

Author: imprator from England
19 January 2006

I saw this show a while back on re-runs and enjoyed it. It's one of those gentle comedic dramas that come along now and then, strong on characterisation and dialogue. It was amusing, involving and a nice ride.

When I saw it I didn't know it had only lasted two seasons, but wasn't surprised; it really didn't have mass appeal. Not full-on enough for a 1980's audience - and even less so for today's viewers. Still, for anyone who can appreciate its strengths it has great appeal.

The only real flaw was the inclusion of the homosexual character. Very PC, but not an enhancement to the show. Still, this is a small criticism; this was a very enjoyable production, and John Ritter was great in the lead role.

When the show's run ended I missed it.

Rating - 8/10