IMDb > "The Bold and the Beautiful" (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Bold and the Beautiful"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Bold and the Beautiful" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Glamorous, glitzy and cheesy

Author: dingoberserk from Australia
16 September 2005

Two things tickle me in relation to this never-ending saga: the illogicality of many situations, and the blatant inconsistencies, hypocrisies, contradictions and double standards displayed by most characters. These two ingredients combine to make up an insidiously alluring cocktail, which may explain why B & B, in spite of its cheesiness, has the potential for becoming addictive, as exemplified by so many testimonials, both within my own social circle and elsewhere (for example, on this website). The principal characters, who are rarely seen engaged in normal activities (such as work), are prone to proclaim their undying loyalty to one another, backed by strong moral principles, family values, marriage etc., then break their promises and behave like alley cats, just a few weeks down the track. One example amongst hundreds: when Brooke is confronted by Taylor with the question: 'How could you sleep with Nick the night you thought your husband had died?', she contrives to look dutifully repentant and says something like 'I don't know how to explain it'. Not very convincing. The endless proclamations of belief in the sanctity and permanence of marriage are contradicted with monotonous regularity by the behavior of most characters. In spite of this, all second, third etc. weddings take place in a chapel in the presence of an (ostensibly Christian) celebrant. Christianity of course, or at least the traditional view of it, is frequently set aside when characters indulge in bitching about one other, undermining the reputation of others, cheating in various ways, etc. The most common method of rumbling the frequent conspiracies is by eavesdropping behind a half-closed door, then charging into the conspiratorial environment and confronting the conspirators with dramatic remarks. Again, not very convincing. There seems to be a tendency, on the part of the scriptwriters, to demonize female characters to a greater extent than male ones. There are no male counterparts to Sheila, Stephanie or Sally Spectra, just to name a few. The glitzy ambiance and would-be glamorous surroundings are an obvious smokescreen, designed to hide the basically vacuous lives of the majority of characters, deprived as they are of any authentic ideals. The mirage works quite well. And one could continue ... in spite of all the above (and more), B & B remains an entertaining soapie which will be missed when, inevitably, the final curtain falls. PS. Incidentally, have any of the characters ever heard of contraception?

This Soap is nothing but dogs!

Author: conradz58 from Sydney, Australia
13 May 2006

OK. How in the world did this soap be the best? First of all, this soap is cheesy, secondly - the story lines are corny, and thirdly - they made love as trash!

I mean come on, B&B would be the best but face it, the story is totally cheap and the characters keeps changing from one to another person. Like Brooke having her sex appeal to the rich guys, her daughter Bridgette keeps changing her temper of Nick like for example: I hate you - I love you, Thomas is always liking the ugly's and Nick is becoming to be playboy! IT'S ALL TERRIFYING! For all of you Soap opera fans, if you are choosing to watch this soap show: Don't watch it.

I rate it 1/10. They should change the story lines.

this show is AWFUL!!

Author: sammie_gal91 from Singapore
23 June 2006

if i could give a 0 i would or even a negative number. i mean this show doesn't even make sense. i mean didn't Taylor die earlier in the show? and suddenly she is alive again?? and Ridge isn't Eric's son. this show is really full of NONSENSE! the people who are supposed to be dead aren't actually dead. in the end who will really die in the show? and Brooke is way to old to have children and she is like a baby factory. man, could this show get any worse? there is another that is so stupid. Ridge and Brigette? how could she feel that Ridge actually had any feelings for her? i mean they treat each other as brother and sister. this show is really full of thrash. can't believe it has been able to continue for so long!

"Oh Mom! You Slept With My Brother !!"

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
14 November 2009

..And that's maybe not the worst yet!

I love soap operas. Who can forget (Knots Landing) or (Falcon Crest)? But some goods when outlive for more than their competence.. They transform into envenomed!

At first it was another, late 80s, so TV-ish, daytime soap. Namely sexy, melodramatic and yeah.. boring! But after that, it turned – while keeping itself outwardly glossy – into ugly huge farce.

I can't say it's a diary of a family. I can't say it's fine thrilling melodrama. I just can say that it's a living exploitation of soap. And you know what? It's successful. Damn one too!

(The Bold and the Beautiful), after 22 years and counting, is a real fine example of the kind of drama which some viewers need everyday like a requisite meal to satisfy their hanger (for living a romance, feeling rich, beating enemies..) whatever the acting was, and whatever the manipulation is.

I somewhat caught on its formula : a sexual desire, a sinful love, a separation between 2 lovers, a wicked plot and a surprise. Then another round. Then another one. Then another with other characters, with new characters, then between the old and new characters, then between them and us maybe!, then the same formula again with the same characters afresh, going on and on till the end of you, days or its time on screen (namely : its cancellation !).

It's a perfect scheme. So loved and long-lived. But who can stand endless story lines, everlasting dialog, the silence of the actors before cutting to another scene or commercials, and – most of all – the changing of partners?? Whoever can stand all of this for more than 5500 episodes I'm surely not one of them. Why is that ? Because I don't have non-critic mentality, a desperate passion for melodrama, and that PATIENCE!

Speaking about the changing of partners thing I recall a line was said by (Dean Stockwell) in one of (Quantum Leap)'s episodes talking about a soap opera "Here Sam, everybody is sleeping with everybody". (B & B) maybe broke this rule since in it everybody slept, sleeps, and will sleep with everybody! Sometimes I think that they have nothing to do in this world but sleeping with each other, then chatter and chatter and chatter, to re-sleep again yet with others. It's not the story of life, it's the life of very profitable story! I know that it got the power to make you sleep in front of it too!

Did its success become a curse ?! I don't completely think so. Not for the actors since they're all well-paid. Not for the viewers since they get what they want. But maybe for the writers. These people got to write one work for over than 2 decades ?? OH MY GOD! This is, in spite of all the money in the world, so heavy mission to be done. So, based on my compassion, I'll forgive them for such events like the one of my title's line which was the first thing I heard when I tried to continue watching this series again after years of losing any interest in it (yes, first I felt panic, thinking that the mom slept with her own son, but I understood it right later!). Hence when things reach this far.. I invite you to do what I already did : Changing the Channel. Believe me.. You'll feel so bold and beautiful after!

In the next episodes I bet you.. the son will turn out to the real father of his sister, (Ridge) will turn out to be a brother of his mother, (Eric Forrester) will have a sex change operation, (Brooke) will turn into lesbian (if she didn't yet?!), and I can see the end right now; the aliens will take them all away (it kind of happened before, didn't it?!). And for that I'll salute the creative writers. Simply, what can a teleplay writer do…More ?!!!

Originally, as much the viewers want it, as much it gains more time on air, and so…that's what has to happen. Though it triumphed over any jesting – even its own – already, being the most-watched soap in the world with an audience of an estimated 26.2 million viewers in more than 110 nations. So while I believe that it is provoking sitcom; running without laughing tracks or laughing.. Others don't, and that's in fact what makes it provoking. But everybody got their own classics. This show is classic for some. Classic crap for others. Hell, it is classic both ways!

A classic soap opera!

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
16 July 2006

Ah, yes. I can remember when I was in high school. One thing I would do my junior and senior year when I was home from school was watch this classic soap opera. From that moment on, I was hooked on it. In addition, I also enjoyed the days when Agnes Bruckner played Bridget Forrester. At first, when Macy (Bobbie Eakes) left the show in 2003, I didn't watch it as much. Today, it's my absolute favorite. If you ask me, Macy was absolutely diabolical. You'd have to have seen the show between 1987 and 2003 if you want to know why. However, this is still a good soap opera. In conclusion, I highly recommend this classic soap opera to all you die-hard CBS fans.

The Bold and the Beautiful-Must Watch Show

Author: soapgirl75 from Los Angeles
15 January 2014

The Bold and the Beautiful is a must watch show. The drama and the romance brings you back day after day to find out what will happened to your favorite characters. Brooke and Bill have been fantastic. Now that Ridge has returned this can only cause more drama. The Liam/Hope/Wyatt love triangle will have you wanting more. Who will she choose? If it is humor you are looking for don't miss Pam & Charlie. The location shoots are definitely something to see, from Malibu, to Cabo to Italy. If you haven't watched it you should tune it! You will be addicted after just one episode! Tell your friends and family too. You won't be disappointed!

My guilty pleasure with a heart!

Author: mpinciotti from United States
15 January 2014

My guilty pleasure with a heart! Love this show!! Can't get enough! From the beautiful, sexy shots of Los Angeles to the exotic locations of Cabo, Puglia, Monte Carlo, Aspen - it's like I'm touring the world from my living room (my cell when I'm on my lunch break)! And don't get me started on the story lines! Fresh, edgy and romantic all wrapped up in a fast-paced half hour show. OMG Ridge and Katie?! Could this really happening?! Waiting anxiously for the next episode. Great to binge watch as well. Available on the CBS App as well. Who said Soaps are dead?! B&B is redefining them every day. The world's most popular daytime TV soap opera. Tune in now!

Scriptwriters

Author: lorna10 from Australia
24 January 2013

Are the Scriptwriters all in the 10 - 12 year old age group? Anybody over that age could write better scenarios than they do - what is written is pathetic!! If I want to watch 'crap', I will from now on - I'll watch the 'Wiggles'!! It's an older audience who watches The Bold & The Beautiful,& we're not morons!! Pick your writing up, or get new people who can. I have watched this show for many years, & it used to be interesting - now, you can switch on after 4 days and not have missed a thing!! Have production costs been cut or what? Some of the scenarios are just beyond belief - nobody could be as stupid as some of the characters are made out to be, yet these are 'people' who run or are involved in multi-million dollar corporations?

Still tantalizing after all this time

Author: yaki_j from israel
2 July 2002

The bold and the beautiful can defiantly be blamed for the mistreatment of its most important character, the divine Mrs. Brooke Logan, but in the last few years, under executive producer brad bell, it became one of the most surprising and shocking soaps. With plotlines involving the revelation of the father of Becky's baby, ridge's paternity proven wrong, Brooke's pregnancy by her son-in-law and what is referred to as `the best kept secret in daytime television history' - the return of kimberlin brown's psychotic character Sheila - B&B has proven itself as a must-watch soap. The once slowed-paced show has became a blink-and-you'll-miss-it TV with plenty of surprises and shocks still in store.

If only the producers will look back to the show's roots and restore Brooke's integrity and character I would rate the show as `perfect

My Favorite Show!!

Author: mcamero3 from United States
17 January 2014

B&B is my absolute favorite show on television. Drama, romance, suspense, intrigue... It truly has it all! I love riding the roller coaster of emotions that the writers put us viewers through on a daily basis. With all the other dramas that come and go, B&B has always been a consistent source of entertainment for both myself and my entire family. Three generations watch together on a regular basis; B&B truly brings us all together! After ten years of watching religiously, I even got my college roommates interested in the show, and they are hooked, as well! The sexiest show on TV is without question "The Bold and the Beautiful!"

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]