IMDb > Youngblood (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Lowe has no Slap Shot

Author: rwpotts from dallas
3 January 2001

The story is a little silly, but this is not a bad sports movie. Rob Lowe can't play a hockey player that well, but his stand in does a nice job. They try to pull of a couple of Rocky work out scenes, but Lowe appears too scrawny to believe that he can fight a goon.

Movie can't live up to Slap Shot, the best hockey movie that I have seen, but is not a bad rent.

If you don't like hockey movies, then don't bother...

Author: OMFW from San Diego
9 October 2000

There are other hockey movies that you can rent, buy, borrow, whatever, that have something involved other than the hockey. Slap Shot and Mystery, Alaska are both great movies that happen to have hockey as the focal point, but also have other things happening to make it enjoyable. Youngblood offers little besides the fact that it is a hockey movie. Still, combine decent (though underused) hockey scenes with Cynthia Gibb's rear end and you have a watchable movie. If you are a hockey nut, you should have already seen it, which means if you haven't seen it, you probably won't like it...

Awful

Author: ral72 from PA
2 March 2000

This movie is terrible. A true hockey fan would have to assume that the people that appeared in and produced this movie never played or watched a real hockey game. I got this hoping that it would be a "guy movie", but the only people that would probably enjoy this movie are females between the ages of 13-17. The hockey scenes are terrible, defensemen playing like they're 5 years old, goalies diving at shots that are 10 feet wide of the net, etc. It's so difficult to predict the end of this movie, though!! For those who have seen it, who would have guessed?? For those that haven't seen it, don't waste your time!

I figured it out less than halfway through the movie. To call this movie a drama is ridiculous!!

Good Hockey Movie, Bad Love Story

Author: Cory Frei from Regina, Saskacthewan
20 February 1999

YOUNGBLOOD is a decent movie with great hockey scenes, but terrible love scenes. The story is predictable, but I think that is what some people want, especially in a movie like this. Patrick Swayze does a good job as the supporter of the rookie on the hockey team, Dean Youngblood (Rob Lowe).

The movie does a good job portraying how young kids growing up, hop to make it to the NHL, and how if they don't, they will be forced to become a farmer, or a miner in their small towns.

Keanu Reaves makes his screen debut as the goalie.

Overall I give this show a 7 out of 10

Rob shows his chest and his butt.... again

Author: Tracy_Terry_Moore from Marina del Rey, CA
1 August 2009

Here comes Rob Lowe as a hockey dude.

Rob is the fastest forward on a squad of hockey players who must defeat their nemesis - a 'zoo' of brawlers - in order to win the coveted trophy.... and they get 'what' out of this?.... Oh yeah, a shot at the pro's.... that's nice.

Cindy Gibb is the questionable love interest (she's so freaking ugly); Jim Youngs plays Rob's cool older brother, and former real-life NHLer Eric Nesterenko appears as Rob's caring Dad. Not bad, really, especially if you're a chick who loves to glimpse Rob's cute cheeks - and not just the ones on his face.

Rob's nickname here is 'Deaner' - which rhymes with 'Weiner'.

Exciting hockey games, but pretty one dimensional

Author: tdowd-2 from United States
21 April 2007

As a young hockey player growing up, this was one of the movies that I adored. There is a very dramatic 80s style soundtrack, lots of dramatic stickwork and the evil goaltender has a mask that looks like a skull.

This is still a fun movie to put on, and if you've played hockey or ice skated, it is easy to relate to some of the scenes in the movie But once you watch it a lot, you realize EVERYONE is a one dimensional stereotype, from the aloof fathers who really love their kids, to the innocent young kid having to come of age, to the older brother figure, to the nothing-but-evil villain. It starts to wear thin.

Still, the opening scene with skating in the barn captures the excitement of being on the ice better than any other scene I could think of.

I found myself bored by this movie

Author: rubydreamer from Canada
28 January 2007

I found myself bored by this movie. Firstly, I did not like Rob Lowe or Cynthia Gibb in this movie. I found their characters predictable and cliché and their romance even more so. I did like Patrick Swayze, I though he gave a good performance. But I have to say in a movie like this it isn't good to judge performances as the material isn't very hard to act.

My main problem was as I said, it doesn't capture your attention and i'm mostly talking about the hockey games. I felt like their wasn't even an effort to make the action interesting. I should have been cheering the characters on at that last hockey game but I bored. I guess my opinion is a bit biased after watching the Maurice Richard movie whose hockey sequences were rivaled by no one else in their excitement and joy.

I certainly would not recommend this movie to hockey fans. Maybe the lingering Rob Lowe fans would enjoy it but i found this to be a boring and unmoving film even for a teen movie.

An insult to our game.

Author: Jennifer (casperj_17) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
2 September 2001

As a Canadian, and a hockey fan, I was insulted by the style of this movie and how poorly our Canadian game was potrayed. I don't want to ruin this movie for anyone, however it is 15 years old & fairly predictable. So, we have an American teenager who is a complete wuss playing in a nothing hocky league who goes to Canada to play junior. He manages to play well, score with the coaches daughter, leave his team because his friend/teamate gets severely injured, comes back for the "big game" & scores a hat trick (3 goals) no less to win it. Then, he fights the toughfest goon in the league in a stick fight??? And wins??? That whole scenario actually happening is as about as believable as Keanu Reeves French Canadian accent, and Patrick Swayze as some hard core hockey player. Albeit, junior hockey is pretty rough, there are more fights, however, I do not believe there is such a thing as a stick fight, nor do you ever see a coach jump into the stands & fight with a fan,and it is a rarity to see a skilled player who is not a fighter, engage in a fight with a total goon and win. Hockey wise, this movie blows. And as for the love story, what can I say accept that it is fromage 80's. This movie is watchable, but you can't help but feel embarassed for the people who are in this movie.

Youngblood

Author: bails_11 from Canada
2 May 2007

Being Canadian and playing competitive hockey for most of my life, I have to say there are a lot of realism's to the movie but the premise is one of the things that is lacking. In my experience Major Junior teams that are going into the league final do not have try-outs the week before. A player as skilled as Youngblood would most certainly have been noticed earlier and should already been playing, especially with an older brother that played before him. All in all this is probably my favorite all time movie and the little things that aren't realistic really don't matter. Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reeves and the rest of the cast did an excellent job learning and portraying hockey players.

Inspiring

Author: Maryanne from California
19 January 2004

I cannot imagine how anyone would think of this movie as a 'bad movie'. It showed just how much hockey players have to go through to become successful. The acting was not the best but it was still interesting to watch. It also did not hurt that Rob Lowe was really good looking. 2.5 out of 4

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]