IMDb > Youngblood (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Slapshot

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
8 July 2016

Youngblood is a derivative sports film starring Rob Lowe as an American farm boy who travels to Canada to play junior Ice Hockey.

It is a kind of story that features his new team mates humiliating him in an initiation ceremony but they all later bond as they frequently indulge in puerile humour. Youngblood quickly gets seduced by the cougar landlady who does this with all the ice hockey players staying with her, he also flirts with the hard nosed coach's daughter, clashes with a brutish player of an opposing team, which leads to a team mate getting a serious injury leading to a crisis of confidence and conscience among our hero. Youngblood runs back to his farm where he is toughened up by his family and he returns just in time to the important end of season game.

The film is a slice of mid 1980s cheese with lots of Rockyesque overtones. It features some rising talent such as Patrick Swayze as well Keanu Reeves, who would one day jump out of a plane together and fight for a parachute.

It is a shame that the film lacks heart and conviction. Lowe also appears to be too bland, cast more for his sex appeal which must be the only reason for that jockstrap scene.

Rob Lowe may act many things, but not tough. Never tough.

Author: Ben Parker (ben.cheshire@optusnet.com.au) from Australia
31 July 2015

Pretty tiresome dreck with a super young Rob Lowe playing at the ol' Ice Hockey picture. Actually, its not a very old genre. You never saw John Wayne hockeying on ice, nor James Dean. Rob Lowe is actually pretty good, and the film is made with the absolute maximum amount of seriousness available, which seems to be a lot. Everyone seems to be into Ice Hockey, its just that also assume their audience is too. There's not a single bit of effort put into making us like or appreciate the sport. Its more played as a human drama, with the sport and its coaches providing tension for the protagonist. Its like the real bad guy is the sport itself. Its pretty funny. I know I said Rob Lowe was pretty good, but the other funny thing about this movie is when Rob Lowe is called upon to act tough. Rob Lowe can be privileged, a pretty-boy, a flirt, witty, charming, maybe creepy or dangerous... But tough? I had to laugh. There's not a tough bone in his body, yet here he is getting physical with some dudes, and the second half of the movie is mainly concerned with him winning a physical fight. I just, you know, don't get it. Also, the movie is pretty of its time, very 80's soundtrack, so if that's what you're after, help yourself.

good average coming-of-age movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
9 April 2015

Dean Youngblood (Rob Lowe) is a skilled teen hockey player in upstate New York. He gets a tryout for a junior league team in Hamilton. His father refuses but his older brother Kelly convinces him otherwise. Kelly had tried but got injured. Dean's speed beats out the brute Racki in the eyes of coach Chadwick. The team led by captain Derek Sutton (Patrick Swayze) hazes the rookie. The coach's daughter Jessie (Cynthia Gibb) is intrigued. His landlady Miss McGill (Fionnula Flanagan) has boarded and seduced many hockey players in the past.

This is a pretty average coming-of-age movie. Rob Lowe is a charming young guy. Gibb is winsome. Swayze plays a good older mentor like he does in Dirty Dancing. Keanu Reeves gets a small role early in his career. It has a couple of memorable scenes like the hazing. It's not particularly outstanding but it does the job.

Patrick Seayze Steals This Movie

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
13 January 2015

It was with some trepidation that I watched this movie, I loved it as a kid, like I did "Crocodile Dundee" and it's sequel, both of which disappointed me, upon rewatching them recently.

Plot In A Paragraph: Dean Youngblood (Rob Lowe) a 17-year-old farmhand from New York, has dreams of playing in the National Hockey League. He is granted the chance to travel to Canada to try out for the Hamilton Mustangs. At the try-outs, Youngblood displays the talent which got him "92 goals in the New York League" but also displays a lack of physical toughness that is so prized in Canadian hockey. This weakness is pounced upon by a brutish player, Carl Racki (George J. Finn), who is also trying out for the team and engages him in a fight. Youngblood quickly learns that flashiness and pure athletic ability will not be enough to be successful in this league. Despite being beat up by by Racki, the coach opts to select Youngblood for a spot on the team. He ingratiates himself to the other players and particularly Captain Derek Sutton (Patrick Swayze) and the coach's daughter Jessie (Cynthia Gibb), its not long before Racki reappears playing for a rival team.

Rob Lowe is good as Dean Youngblood, he is pretty enough for the "pretty boy" tag and looks in good shape. Cynthia Gibb is very attractive as Jessie Chadwick, and what an ass she has!! I loved it!! Ed Lauter is a lot of fun as Coach Murray Chadwick and George J. Finn is imposing and does a good job as Carl Racki. However Patrick Swayze steals this movie (yes even away from Cynthia Gibb's wonderful ass) as Derek Sutton. He is brilliant, and a reminder of what a talent we have lost.

Keanu Reeves had a small role as Heaver, one of Lowe and Swayze's team mates.

Actually Quite Captivating

Author: ilania_a from Canada
6 March 2014

This film is well cast, and acted, there is a story, and the game of hockey is made clear even to those who are not fans. Some of the photography is way above average, for example the scene of puck shooting exercises by "Youngblood". The relationships between two brothers, father son, and two friends Judd Lowe and Patrick Swayze are all well presented. There was not a dull moment in this film. But above all this was a good vehicle to show Judd Lowe's talent. He really held the movie. It is a shame that he lost the momentum of his career by becoming addicted to drugs and alcohol.

Of course it did not hurt to have Patrick Swayze, Ed Lauter, Cynthia Gibb, and even Keanu Reeves. I am comparing it to another movie about young men whose dream is to join a professional sports team (Baseball) "Sugar" (2008) which was slow moving, Youngblood has a good pace, and flow of events.

Definitely the top of my list

Author: dsfoster14 from Australia
11 December 2012

If your looking for a great movie and a movie that I myself find extremely inspiring you have searched the right place

this move is just excellent and should be rated a 10/10, i am pleased with the way it is set out, i myself play ice hockey and jut like this young man he is not the richest man on earth but he has the skill and determination to get there.

I guarantee that you will love this movie if you love inspirational, motivational, romance, dramas or a sport movie.

even with great fighting, every hockey fan loves a great fight and Youngblood has a great deal of it so stop reading this review and GO AND SEE IT!!!!

really i think this should be rated 10/10 but others have their odds, go and watch it!!!

Ice hockey, laughs and the lovely Swayze, Lowe and Reeves!

Author: HelenMary from London, UK
9 December 2012

I love this film. It's about Ice Hockey (alwasys a good start), and an up and coming US player who goes over the border to Canada to play having been scouted, in the hope of making a career for himself. Starring Rob Lowe as the titular Dean Youngblood, Patrick Swayze as Derek Sutton the Team Captain and Cythia Gibb as the love interest, it's a typical 80's star vehicle when Rob Lowe as a member of the Brat Pack and seemed to be in everything (The Outsiders, St Elmo's Fire, About Last Night etc). Everything about it screams 80s and I'm not entirely sure it's aged well, it's shot very simply but some nice "set pieces" such as Lowe working out or skate-training sessions. The chemistry between Lowe and Swayze is brotherly, a "bromance", after the initiation at least, and they had played brothers only a few years before in The Outsiders - Darry and Sodapop Curtis.

Whilst this is a an underdog-does-good sports film, it isn't so Hollywood and without drama and it's not a typical happy ending. The skating scenes are really good, Swayze throws himself into the physicality of the role in typical fashion. I'm sure some stunt skaters were used but possibly the actors were ice-familiar anyway. Keanu Reeves has a minor (comedic, and with some great one liners) role and was a goalie at school and he plays Heaver, the goalie with the Mustangs. Much of the story is predictable but there's also a few twists, and whilst the acting isn't stunning, Gibb is the weakest link, the skating and the comedy makes this a fab film - especially the bar scene when Dean first joins the team. The love scene is a little cringeworthy (more so when I first saw this) especially in connection with the wonderful Miss McGill (Fionnula Flanagan). I guarantee you'll never hear the phrase "Room Service?" without smiling, and you'll never look at a cup of tea the same way again. LOL.

real???

Author: saybow69 from United States
7 July 2009

i see a few of the user comments referring to their playing days of college hockey and junior ice leagues or semi-pro hockey? (like the movie is) and got no problem with how the movie portrays the sport, few good moments (although don't think a 3 game series is played over a span of 3 weeks? (like movie makes it out to be? not playing football!) and believe me, i know those leagues are tough as nails! but i don't see how anyone who has played hockey at any level? can think that Racki would not have been suspended? ha ha? give me a break! almost killed Swayze! Patrick Roy goalie son goes and beats up other goalie fair an square and gets suspended for 7 games! and Patrick got 5! (junior hockey league) and you guys have no problem with Racki not getting suspended at all? cmon! and then the stick work in fighting? were the hell they come up with that? that is the fakest scene in a movie i have ever seen! they do not do that! at any level! best friend son plays for (OHL) Plymouth Whalers (Tyler Brown) and one of the toughest guys in league and he almost pee'd himself laughing when i showed him movie, felt like i was watching zorro? for some of the bloggers to have mentioned they played hockey their whole lives and not mentioned either one of these blunders? i find it hard to believe they ever even picked up a puck? if they didn't notice those 2 huge blunders or flat out fallacies! like certain parts of movie? but those 2 parts of movie were so fake? ruined whole movie! not too mention reeves acting! man he was bad!!

An awesome Hockey film, that's exciting with a great story,Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze were fantastic!

Author: callanvass
23 June 2007

Youngblood is an awesome Hockey film, that has a great message at the end, even if it is predictable, and I believe this is one of the most underrated sport films out there, plus I thought it was so sad with what happened to Swayze's character!. The Hockey action is exciting, and intense, and George J. Finn is fantastic as dirty goon Racki you will hate him for the stuff he pulls, plus I loved the opening with Youngblood(Lowe), strutting His stuff with Hockey skills and I loved all the neat tricks he did. Sure it may look a little cheap at times, but it didn't bother me a bit, and some people complained the story was dull and boring, but I found it to be very engaging and interesting, plus it has one funny moment where Ed Lauter (Coach Chadwick) catches Lowe with a Nympho Book. You will love the end, cause it's a great underdog story, and The Hockey scenes felt very realistic, plus watch out for Keanu Reeves who plays the Goalie!. Overall This is an awesome Hockey film and I say it's an absolute must see!. **** out of 5

The Acting is great!. Rob Lowe does a terrific job here as Dean Youngblood, he had great Hockey skills, and while he may have looked a little stiff at times he really came through in most of the scenes, and you will especially feel for him near the end with what happened to Swayze's character, I feel this may be his best role!. Patrick Swayze is very good here in his role as Sutton he's cocky but lovable and cracked me up a couple of times I just wished he had more screen time. Cynthia Gibb is not bad as Chadwick's daughter she shared good chemistry with Lowe and was a Cutie to boot!. Ed Lauter is good as the strict yet likable coach he cracked me up as well. Jim Youngs does a good job as Lowe's brother. Eric Nesterenko does alright as the Father considering he was a famous Hockey player!. George J. Finn is fantastic as Racki, you will hate his guts as he actually made me think he was a despicable goon. Keanu Reeves is OK as the the goalie he was a bit goofy for my tastes I dig the guy but it's not one of his better roles loll.

Hockey Movies ... no more please.

Author: allang-2 from Winnipeg, Manitoba
14 February 2001

If you want to make a movie that involves a love story and sport, please pick a sport other than hockey. The people that write these stories and the people that make these movies don't have a clue about what hockey is really like. They have never played the game at all, or never played it at a high enough level to understand what it is like to get close the the NHL. eg. As if an arena full of people, coaches, trainers, managers, game officials, etc. are going to stand back and watch two players try to kill each other without stepping in, I don't think so...

This movie would have worked just as well if the sport had been football.

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]